Gunbuster 2 is on the way

From Anime News Network:

Gainax Officially Confirms Sequel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Moon Phase, Gainax officially announced details about the upcoming production of Gunbuster 2 at yesterday's Gainax Festival 20th Anniversary press conference.

According to Moonphase the following voice actors will have roles in Gunbuster 2:

Yukari Fukui will play Nono;

Maaya Sakamoto will play Raruku;

Miyuki Sawashiro will play Chiko;

Mitsuo Iwata will play Nicola;

and Takumi Yamazaki will play the new Coach.

Serious indication that Gainax was planning a sequel to Gunbuster, along with a sequel to The Wings of Honneamise, came out at the 40th Annual Japanese Science Fiction Convention in August 2002. There has yet to be any official confirmation of the Honneamise sequel.

A Gunbuster sequel is all swell and all but WHERE THE HELL IS OUR DECENT STATESIDE ORIGINAL?!?! Ahem, sorry.... ;)

From Anime News Network:

Gainax Officially Confirms Sequel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Moon Phase, Gainax officially announced details about the upcoming production of Gunbuster 2 at yesterday's Gainax Festival 20th Anniversary press conference.

According to Moonphase the following voice actors will have roles in Gunbuster 2:

Yukari Fukui will play Nono;

Maaya Sakamoto will play Raruku;

Miyuki Sawashiro will play Chiko;

Mitsuo Iwata will play Nicola;

and Takumi Yamazaki will play the new Coach.

Serious indication that Gainax was planning a sequel to Gunbuster, along with a sequel to The Wings of Honneamise, came out at the 40th Annual Japanese Science Fiction Convention in August 2002. There has yet to be any official confirmation of the Honneamise sequel.

A Gunbuster sequel is all swell and all but WHERE THE HELL IS OUR DECENT STATESIDE ORIGINAL?!?! Ahem, sorry.... ;)

once thsi surgery is done with i ma gettign the region 2(japan) ver of gunbuster.

It's been years since I've seen the first Gunbuster series. I'll definitely pick up the new one since it's one of GAINAX's old school favorites. This should definitely cheer up Noriko Tayaka. :lol:

Sweet mother of crap!

Those designs.... They're horrible!

Those character designs look like something out of Sakura Taisen

And that Buster Machine.... WTF were they thinking?!

None of it bears ANY resemblance to the OVA, or even any of the manga sequels or side-stories!

I saw this earlier today, but someone beat me to the post. :(

However, from the looks of these designs, I'd have to say I am not really impressed. I hope someone got the pictures messed up when they were doing the layout for the magazine article.

That short haired blond girl reminds me of the chick from FLCL, Kitsurubami.

The girl with the purple hair and ponytails reminds me of Ruri from Nadesico.

The Noriko wannabe looks like a cross between Kurumi the Steel Angel and Mylene from Macross 7.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy this is finally getting put into production. I just hope it can live up to the reputation of the older series.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Urmmm...are there any reprisal of roles and/or characters here? Personally, I thought Gunbuster ended nicely and shouldn't be touched.....but i have a dreaded feeling now that this sequel will suck. :(

The boxed mecha...it reminded me of the cyborg that chose a weird cyborg body which is shaped like a small box with funky legs and hands from Ghost in the Shell.

Anyway, any word if Hideaki Anno has his hands in this?

While I really hate the new designs, I think it's important to remember that the original Gunbuster was a parody - something many people, even fans, tend to over look these days. That being the case, I can see how these designs could be another parody of the current trends in anime. Unfortunately, as I don't really care for the subject they are parodying, I don't think I'll like the new OVA.

BTW the R2 Japanese release of Gunbuster has no subtitles.

While I really hate the new designs, I think it's important to remember that the original Gunbuster was a parody - something many people, even fans, tend to over look these days. That being the case, I can see how these designs could be another parody of the current trends in anime.

That's a good point.

And may explain why it looks to me like that Buster Machine is a Street fighter character with his face being eated by an EVA.

My thoughts exactly. When I originally saw Gunbuster, I was thinking

"WTF! Hellooo!! The 1970's called, and they want their robot back!" :p

Of course, after finishing the series, I thought the Gunbuster was an awesome design. So far, this OAV seems to carry the whimsical nature that marked the first GB episode. Honestly, I don't really care if the sequel is good or not, I just hope it sparks enough interest for some US anime company to release the first series on DVD. :)

It seems more and more apparent, sequels to popular 80's anime is just and excercise in the craptastic. It just alienates the old fans with new shitty modern designs, and the newer fans who might like it (and not care so much about the designs) couldn't give a rats ass about a link to an old anime series they've never seen. So.. whats the point? They don't appeal to older fans and newer fans often don't care/know about the signifgance of the original.

You know, from what I am seeing posted on other boards across the web, other fans are displeased with the new character representations. And I've already got a e-mail reagrding this sent to my site asking: "What are they thinking?" I wonder why Gainax just couldn't get Mikimoto to plan the new characters? They sure would have looked a lot better.

While I really hate the new designs, I think it's important to remember that the original Gunbuster was a parody - something many people, even fans, tend to over look these days. That being the case, I can see how these designs could be another parody of the current trends in anime. Unfortunately, as I don't really care for the subject they are parodying, I don't think I'll like the new OVA.

BTW the R2 Japanese release of Gunbuster has no subtitles.

GunBuster was more of an homage than a parody. I really didn't think of it as a parody at all actually.

Why is the Nono chick wearing a Stellvia uniform?

It DOES look like Stellvia but not quite. Stellvia has skirts in space....(how practical :) )

I'll agree with the majority view that those chara and mecha designs are pretty awful. They just don't say 'Gunbuster' to me. If I'd have seen those pics without being told what they were, I never would have guessed they were for a Gunbuster sequel. Looks like another anime to avoid.

Mind you I'm not really a big fan of the original Gunbuster. I like it, but honestly I thought it was a bit over-rated and certainly not as wonderful as many people make out.

Graham

Here's some more information on Top o Nerae! 2, courtesy of the Anime News Network:

posted on 2004-05-07 17:39:07

source: Natsume Maya

According to this month's issue of Newtype Japan, the first volume of Gunbuster 2 (tentatively titled "Top wo Nerae! 2") will be released this Autumn (September 24th according to Moon Phase), and will be six episodes, with subsequent episodes coming out every second month.

Plus, here's the staff list:

Mechanical Design: Junya Ishigaki (Outlaw Star, Candidate for Goddess :angry: )

Mechanical Design: Shigeto Koyama

Buster Machine Design: Yoshitsune Izuna (Gad Guard) - No wonder it looks familiar. It has a bit of a Lightning design to it.

Well guys, here is some information on Gunbuster 2:

CAST

Nono: Yukari Fukui

Raruku: Maaya Sakamoto

Chiko: Miyuki Sawashiro

Nicola: Mitsuo Iwata

Coach: Takumi Yamazaki

STAFF

Original Plan: Kazuya Tsurumaki

Director: Kazuya Tsurumaki

Scenario: Youji Enokido

Character Design: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

Buster Machine Design: Yoshitsune Izuna

Mechanical Design: Junya Ishigaki & Shigeto Koyama

Mechanical Animation Director: Sushio

Futher Visuals: Okama

Art Director: Hiroshi Kato

Digital Director: Shoichi Masuo

3DCG Modeling: View Works

Animation Studio: Gainax Co., LTD

EPISODE 1

Storyboard: Matsugu Higuchi

Screen-director: Masahiko Otsuka

Animation Director: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto & Yuka Shibata

EPISODE 2

Storyboard: Kunihiko Ikuhara

Screen-director: Katsuichi Nakayama

Animation Director: Atsushi Nishikiori

EPISODE 3

Storyboard: Tadashi Hiramatsu

SYNOPSIS

The war between mankind and the Uchuu Kaiju (space monsters) didn't end after Noriko had gone off. The military conflict between both combatants has been continuing on. No one can match the Uchuu Kaiju (space monsters) in battle. The only exception to this is "TOPLESS", the fighter group consisting of only children having  supernatural powers, and Buster Machines operated by them. Nono is a young girl fresh from the countryside and a candidate for the space force pilot. She meets Raruku who is the strongest member of TOPLESS. Nono adores her as "Oneesama" (senior sister). The  Uchuu Kaiju are closing in on Mankind's home planet. Nono fights them in order to aim for the top together with her teammates, Nicola and Chiko.

:angry: Okay, so now what? I am really worried. I am hoping that this synopsis is just a hoax. What the hell is Gainax thinking? What the hell is up with the whole oneesama thing again? It was unique to Noriko's character and defined her relationship with Kazumi. It's really not needed. And TOPLESS? Ugh! Do you see any similarities to Evangelion and Gundam in this? Mecha that can only be piloted by children with superpowers.

Let's get the controversy started again...

Edited by Noriko Takaya