Star Wars OT on DVD - Official - Sept 21st

Blaine23

Well, it's official Star Wars is coming out on DVD... but there is an emphasis on the fact that ONLY the reissue versions will be included. What a bunch of tools.

Here's the text from DVDfile.com.

The Force is Back - 12:01am

After years of waiting, hype and hope, the rumors can at last be laid to rest: the holy grail of DVD will finally be released this September. Yes, it is the original Star Wars trilogy: Episodes IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (which many regard as the best in the series) and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

While a full press release has yet to be issued, both Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment confirmed today that the trilogy will touch down on September 21st as a four-disc set, available in both anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, containing the three films plus a bonus fourth disc with extras, a la the top-selling Adventures of Indiana Jones set released late last year. The films will not be sold separately, at least initially, according to Fox representatives.

While the long-held rumor was that George Lucas would wait until the completion of Star Wars Episode III, due in theaters in May 2005, to release the original trilogy on DVD, Lucasfilm VP of Market Jim Ward revealed today that Lucas "found some time" in his schedule and "was willing and eager to make it happen."

Today's announcement came early and without finalized specs due in part to the intense anticipation amongst consumers for the titles. "We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," revealed Ward, not before adding with knowing understatement, "but I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

According to Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn, both the studio and Lucasfilm arrived at the September 21st date to gain maximum exposure during the holiday season: "We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he explained. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video."

While the full details on what extras will be included in the set are still pending, Ward promises that Lucasfilm "are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time." He also confirmed that rumors that Lucas would not contribute new audio commentaries to the set are false, although there are as of yet no exact details on which films will receive commentary tracks, and who will be among the participants.

Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally wanted to make."

So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this space for further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep you posted, and as always.... May the Force Be With You.

My favorite is that STAR WARS is supposedly about art and filmmaking... I must have missed that point with absolute onslaught of merchandise from the whored-out franchise. The art must be somewhere between the 800 bad novel tie-ins and the Chewbacca toothbrush.

It's a shame... does anybody know of a decent HK bootleg of the original versions? I don't mind the "restored" version, but I'd like to have a copy of the original trilogy that didn't involve my VCR..

Well, it's official Star Wars is coming out on DVD... but there is an emphasis on the fact that ONLY the reissue versions will be included.

You know....it's like I'm hearing an echo or something. I could have sworn that I predicted this six months ago, the last time this topic came up. :rolleyes:

Although I'll still get the set on the day of release, 'cuz I'm a geek and I've been sucked into the "whored-out franchise" :blink::D .......(please see blue quote in my siggy)

It still bites that he can't just put the damn originals on DVD in the same stinkin' case as the SEs.

It's a shame.

So what if the SE versions are what he wanted, just don't put the originals in your DVD player, Georgie. Doesn't mean we have to follow along.

Ah, whatever....can go on for hours and it still won't matter as some faithful have tried.

It's just a damn shame and it leaves a bad taste. I'm off to throw-up......icon8.gif

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Well, it's official Star Wars is coming out on DVD... but there is an emphasis on the fact that ONLY the reissue versions will be included.

You know....it's like I'm hearing an echo or something. I could have sworn that I predicted this six months ago, the last time this topic came up. :rolleyes:

You and every internet geek on Earth, BSU... but now it's officially sucky. :p

I was more struck by how antagonistic the rep for Lucas was.

"This is not a democracy" - what kind of BS is that? It's sorta like your mom telling you to take out the trash because you're under her roof...

It's really not about democracy/monarchy, but about free market capitalism. People want a product, you provide it. It's an easy way to make money. Beats trying to come up with an inventive way to market STAR WARS banana bread.

I'm sure they'll cave somewhere down the line and milk the fans again for the originals... that is also something everyone else has predicted.

And yet... we'll probably all buy it anyway.

I was more struck by how antagonistic the rep for Lucas was.

"This is not a democracy" - what kind of BS is that? It's sorta like your mom telling you to take out the trash because you're under her roof...

Yeah that was a little odd, but I've pretty much come to terms with this issue long ago. Besides, anybody who's a really, really picky cinephile should wait until after Ep III before buying the OT. That way when there's the inevitable double dip, you'll only have to buy the OT once.

This was hardly unexpected. While I would have expected some more tact out of their PR people, SOME fans need to realize the original forms of the movies are gone and they're NOT going to get them on their own release. Ever. They're gonna be stuck with bootlegs or old VHS or LD if they want that form. Rip that crap to DVD. Most fans will complain about it, but ARE going to get the set for the extras disc anyways. If they just said they're releasing the OT on DVD, the undeniable follow-up questions are going to be if it's SE or both versions, and when the original versions might be released so that DID need to be clarified.

I already have the SE on DVD (HK rips of the laser discs, complete with DD and THX "Laserdisc" intros). But I'm willing to bet either myself or my girlfriend get the set for the specials disc. And I'm certainly holding out for a platinum encrusted "Ueber Edition" that will undoubtedly be released after Ep3. :)

Edited by Uxi

I don't mind the special editions at all, except in ESB where they poorly added Luke's yell as he fell wherever the hell he was falling to, and the re-dubbed couple of lines they gave Vader soon afterword. There wasn't any need to change "Bring my shuttle." What they did sounded very inconsistent.

Other than that, I don't mind having the special editions. They'll hold up that much better over time, especially when watching the prequels right before hand.

It a given that they are going to release the uber set after Ep 3 is released on DVD.

That's fine, I'll upgrade to a Paul Champagne case when they do. I'm not buying Ep. I and II twice.

Yeah, if anybody has seen a bootleg of the Original-OT, please post a pic or description of the cover art so we can find it.

They were around on ebay a few years ago. Ebay usually pulled the auctions. Mine is a rip of the LD THX version. Original version not the special edition. Quality is ok. I don't even know if these exist anymore.

Why can't they just pull a Disneys Lion King in this instance, and have both movies in the same dvd?

Aside from the fact that George doesn't want to? ;) Probably some score issues and such (for branching anyways) but I think that's pretty minor if the previous issue didn't apply.

Doesn't bother me, either way.

My god the new Lion King. One of my favorite scenes is the pouncing lesson scene. Great father son moment and then the silence and then pounce. The original was perfect but in the new version there is a damn song which completely ruins it. Glad to hear both versions are included. My mom has the new set but I haven't checked it out yet just saw it on the TVs in the store.

Edited by Effect

Spielberg did the same thing with E.T. not too long ago. He added new CGI to ET's face, redubbed lines ("terrorist"), and turned FBI guns into flashlights... but even he had the common sense to release the original version that MILLIONS had paid to see and made it a success. In fact, he even went from a stupid plan to only include the original version in a $50 set to putting the original version in the "regular" $30 edition.

Maybe he'll call Lucas and smack some sense into him. I see no real good reason for Lucasfilm to be so adverserial with the fans that feed them. Hell, even HG eventually released Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada... and god knows that's a substantially smaller market.

Oh well, if King George wants us to give our money to seedy vendors in HK, so be it.

Why can't they just pull a Disneys Lion King in this instance, and have both movies in the same dvd?

Aside from the fact that George doesn't want to? ;) Probably some score issues and such (for branching anyways) but I think that's pretty minor if the previous issue didn't apply.

I know... I know. PPl will buy this version regardless.... and they will release the unaltered version eventually. <_<

I know... I know. PPl will buy this version regardless.... and they will release the unaltered version eventually. <_<

Of course they will, becuase George knows he can make more money this way. If he released the Classic Trilogy before the Special Editions, everyone would buy the Classics, and sales for the Special Editions would be poor. This way, he knows sales of both will be strong.

Of course they will, becuase George knows he can make more money this way. If he released the Classic Trilogy before the Special Editions, everyone would buy the Classics, and sales for the Special Editions would be poor. This way, he knows sales of both will be strong.

Right. And every SW fan should've expected that.

Right on. When is the 30th anniversary for SW? 2007 right? I'm willing to bet around then is when we will get a boxed set with the prequels, SE, and original cut of the original trilogy.

BTW with this new DVD release wasn't there a rumor Lucas was going to tinker even more with the OT? *shudders*

Edited by GobotFool

This is hardly unexpected... or unwanted.

If this is, in fact, how Lucas intended for the series to be seen, I see no reason why he should re-release the originals (ducks incoming flames).. it just seems ignorant to me, and counter-progressive.

I'm looking forward to these and I'll pick them up as soon as I can!

i thought I heard somebody say they were looking for the original Star Wars DVDs with out the new footage, because they are not making them anymore ( I could be wrong I just read through real quicK) just found these up on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=50281

right now I have mine up as well , but they are the special edition, I do not really mind either of them

Chris

i thought I heard somebody say they were looking for the original Star Wars DVDs with out the new footage, because they are not making them anymore ( I could be wrong I just read through real quicK) just found these up on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=50281

right now I have mine up as well , but they are the special edition, I do not really mind either of them

Chris

83 bucks for bootlegs? That's insane... the set probably cost him only $3 in China. Just ask anyone who had a recent trip to the World Capital of Bootlegsâ„¢.

This will make me go and buy a dvd burner - so I can edit my own version. Where han shoots first and he doesn't talk to a badly cgi'd jabba in ANH, and without the dreadful 5 minute musical extravaganza in jabba's palace in ROTJ.

I don't mind the "restored" version, but I'd like to have a copy of the original trilogy that didn't involve my VCR..

Laser discs, baby! Contrary to popular belief, not all the OT box sets suffered from laser rot. You might get lucky and find one that is still pristine, I know mine is. Also, the LD box wasn't the only SW releases on that format, the individual un-enhanced films were also released individually back in the 80's, but those could be a pain to track down.

I suggest waiting until Lucas releases them on DVD. And yes, it will happen. But only after Lucas is done thoroughly milking the SE DVD's.

I suggest waiting until Lucas releases them on DVD. And yes, it will happen. But only after Lucas is done thoroughly milking the SE DVD's.

It hasn't yet happened on VHS after at least 2 releases past when they announced it would be the last time the movies were going to be available in that cut. I find that enormously refreshing that they're sticking to their word instead of milking it more.

Lucas could clean up from some of the "fans" who have their panties in a wad over this issue, yet he refuses. This is ONE instance where it's NOT about money. Lucas could clean up on VHS and DVD and satisfy everyone... yet he doesn't despite the money to be gained. That says it's SOMETHING other than money that he's concerned about. It's not money and it's not for "fan" appeasement...

The fact of it is, he doesn't care what anyone says or thinks. He releases what he wants for his reasons and if some people don't buy... then he's apparently not too concerned.

I suggest waiting until Lucas releases them on DVD.  And yes, it will happen.  But only after Lucas is done thoroughly milking the SE DVD's.

It hasn't yet happened on VHS after at least 2 releases past when they announced it would be the last time the movies were going to be available in that cut. I find that enormously refreshing that they're sticking to their word instead of milking it more.

Hmm, good point. For the past 10 years, VHS has been less than an afterthought in my mind. This could be the one instance where Lucas will forego the dollar in order to preserve his warped sense of pride. If that's the case, I wonder why the LD's aren't skyrocketing in price?

Hmm, good point. For the past 10 years, VHS has been less than an afterthought in my mind. This could be the one instance where Lucas will forego the dollar in order to preserve his warped sense of pride. If that's the case, I wonder why the LD's aren't skyrocketing in price?

Who wants to buy an LD player, especially at this point in time... DVD is where it's at... if one has an LD player and the LD's, the whole DVD-release thing is a non-issue as they should be ripping it to DVD for at least themselves... but one needs the appropriate hardware (starting with the LD player and DVD burner, etc

As far as his pride... it comes down to his "vision" of his filmaking, whether one agrees with it or not.

"But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."