Star Wars OT on DVD - Official - Sept 21st

Blaine23

ok ignoring international releases and laserdiscs what are the different variations of the OT that came out in north america?

In chronological order:

Original CBS release

THX Remastered

Another reissue

The SE set

any that I missed?

now the next biggie..other than the SE set what are the differences between them?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread....

Here's the supposed specs for the DVDs.

- 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, THX Certified

- English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX; English, Spanish & French Dolby Surround

- George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren & Carrie Fisher Commentary

- Irvin Kirshner (ESB) & Lawrence Kasdan (ESB, ROTJ) Commentary

- Star Wars: The Independent Films Documentary (150 mins)

- The Evolution of Characters Featurette (30 mins)

- The Influence of Star Wars Featurette (20 mins)

- Lightsabers/Fights Featurette (10 mins)

- 1977 Vintage Star Wars Featurette (20 mins)

- Episode III Behind the Scenes Preview (10 mins)

- Star Wars Battlefront X-Box Video Game Preview

- Original & 1997 Re-Release Teasers and Trailers

- Original TV Spots & 1997 Re-Release TV Spots

- Comprehensive Posters and Artwork Gallery

- DVD-ROM: Link to StarWars.com Website

That's actually pretty good, IMHO. However, I've also heard some interesting rumblings about a bunch, and I mean a big Texas sized BUNCH, of archival footage being unearthed recently. Most significantly is the near entirety of the famous Star Wars deleted/alternative footage!!! That's right. They've apparently found

- the wampa attack on Echo base

- John D's brief role in the Death Star battle

- the sandstorm from ROTJ

you name it, they've found it. Word is that much of this is being cleaned up for a future, all-encompassing DVD release. Now that is some footage that I've always wanted to see.

Now I'm not suggesting this is legitimate, but here's something I found today. Supposedly, its from the revised ESB, and shows the "real" Emperor Palpatine as played by Ian McDiarmid.

post-25-1080859484.jpg

Looks interesting. Doesn't look any better or worse than the original footage, though. Doesn't really look like Ian McDiarmid as he looked in Return of the Jedi.

I actually prefer or don't mind 99% of the added footage to the SE editions - same exceptions Max posted, Jedi Rock and Jabba bug the most.

But I really, really, really love ESB in its original format. One of my favorite movies. Am I the only one who thinks the image on the bottom is way cooler?

I don't care if it isn't Ian McDiarmid... I didn't even realize it wasn't the same guy until years later.

I'm just thankful for the bonus features and the prospect of getting SW on DVD at all at this point. I'm sure at some point either Lucas or an enterprising bootlegger will make a high quality DVD set of the original trilogy so I can watch it the way it was released.

Just to update this thread....

Here's the supposed specs for the DVDs.

- 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, THX Certified

- English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX; English, Spanish & French Dolby Surround

- George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren & Carrie Fisher Commentary

- Irvin Kirshner (ESB) & Lawrence Kasdan (ESB, ROTJ) Commentary

- Star Wars: The Independent Films Documentary (150 mins)

- The Evolution of Characters Featurette (30 mins)

- The Influence of Star Wars Featurette (20 mins)

- Lightsabers/Fights Featurette (10 mins)

- 1977 Vintage Star Wars Featurette (20 mins)

- Episode III Behind the Scenes Preview (10 mins)

- Star Wars Battlefront X-Box Video Game Preview

- Original & 1997 Re-Release Teasers and Trailers

- Original TV Spots & 1997 Re-Release TV Spots

- Comprehensive Posters and Artwork Gallery

- DVD-ROM: Link to StarWars.com Website

That's actually pretty good, IMHO. However, I've also heard some interesting rumblings about a bunch, and I mean a big Texas sized BUNCH, of archival footage being unearthed recently. Most significantly is the near entirety of the famous Star Wars deleted/alternative footage!!! That's right. They've apparently found

- the wampa attack on Echo base

- John D's brief role in the Death Star battle

- the sandstorm from ROTJ

you name it, they've found it. Word is that much of this is being cleaned up for a future, all-encompassing DVD release. Now that is some footage that I've always wanted to see.

Sounds like a good deal of extras. I know I can't wait to pick up my copy. Though I wish they had more character commentary like from Ford, Billy D, and Hamill along side Fishers, but this still seems like a good release.

Sounds like a good deal of extras. I know I can't wait to pick up my copy. Though I wish they had more character commentary like from Ford, Billy D, and Hamill along side Fishers, but this still seems like a good release.

That would rock. I would like Billy Dee commentary for everything, all the movies, even ANH, which he wasn't even in.

But only if he threw in anecdotal stories about Malt Liquor every 3-4 minutes.

post-26-1081802072.jpg

• 1 month later...
Zoinks!! :huh:

Is that for real? :huh:

Nope, nope and nope. There's only two versions. There's this one...

StarWarsWide.jpg

...and a gold version for the fullscreen version. But if you buy fullscreen, you'll make baby Jesus cry.

Yep, that's the real box.

The proposed Imerial box rocked. This one could be worse but I was hoping for more than that. Hopefully the discs have good artwork. This is kind of stylish though.

Edited by Anubis

Zoinks!!  :huh:

Is that for real? :huh:

From what I've heard....YES.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this change, if it turns out to be for real.

So what about the "take my mask off" part?

Hmmm. Let's see how this goes.

I can see the headline:

"David Prowse kills George Lucas for digital removal from ROTJ"

...and a gold version for the fullscreen version. But if you buy fullscreen, you'll make baby Jesus cry.

really? then whats up with the 3 pics i've had since they first annonuced the DVD release? :unsure:

really? then whats up with the 3 pics i've had since they first annonuced the DVD release? :unsure:

Just concepts, supposedly. I'm not sure if those were even done by the same folks responsible for the final versions. Damn TV has ruined my long-term memory...

Cool.. maybe he'll add Jake Lloyd yelling "Yipppeee!" while Hayden's ghost shows up.

That'd really bring things full circle.

:(

Not until Bruce Willis shows up and shoots the kid as he says:

"Yippekayay... M0+H3R$*3R"

While Mace Windu shows up as Zeus and shove lightning up everyone's ass. :lol:

Why can't they just pull a Disneys Lion King in this instance, and have both movies in the same dvd?

Lion King had the no BS version and the BS "look how we can ruin a classic!" version on the same DVD. And that was awsome, really.

yeah, didn't Fox do the same thing with Aliens?

Why can't they just pull a Disneys Lion King in this instance, and have both movies in the same dvd?

Lion King had the no BS version and the BS "look how we can ruin a classic!" version on the same DVD. And that was awsome, really.

Yep, Extended and regular on the same disk.

Reread the title of thread and the first page.

"This is not a democracy" - ie, George don't care if that's what you want. He's gonna release Star Wars the way he wants.

Until one day he decides to do it right and make us all pay for the trilogy again. <_<

Glad I have the VHS oldies,

Lucas is a Dick, period. and so is the guy who rereleased the 2 towers on the LOTR DVD, I bought the 1st friggin one

What's so about about TTT on DVD?

and don't anyone ever forget all the cool tacked on shots of CGI beasts being over animated.. they look so awsome composited into 70's and 80's film. rad.

You know what I think? I think the should scrap the OTs and start fresh!!! New cast and everything!!!!! That's right, I said it!

What's the difference between the originals, the 1997 special editions, and any other versions out there?  I have no clue how many versions there are....

IMDB explains the alternate versions.

Alternate Versions for a New Hope

Alternate Versions for The Empire Strikes

Alternate Versions for Return of the Jedi

Alternate Versions for The Phantom Menace

Alternate Versions for Attack of the Clones

and don't anyone ever forget all the cool tacked on shots of CGI beasts being over animated..  they look so awesome composite into 70's and 80's film.  rad.

You know what I think? I think the should scrap the OTs and start fresh!!! New cast and everything!!!!! That's right, I said it!

Actually I more agree with you than not. Keep most of the designs, settings and artwork for Episode one. Get Liam back, get Ewan back, get a new Queen, use Hayden for an aged up Anakin (I still think he'd have potential with a better director) Get a new director/screen-writer/producer and stick George as Exc. Producer. Make a swashingbuckling story based on the interplay between Anakin and Obi-wan becoming friends, kill Qui-gon in the middle, Let Maul speak and have much more time killing Naboo etc. Take the stick out of the collective Jedi's asses, make the council washed up and lame if you wish, but keep Obi-wan and Qui-Gon kicking ass. Make Ewan the "Han Solo" figure to better fit the image of him when he's talking to Yoda in Empire (Where he reminds Yoda that he was just as reckless and with much anger in him at Luke's age as Luke does.) and cut all the CG crap and just call it "Episode I Special Edition" with 100% new footage. I don't think too many people would mind too much.

Edited by LePoseur

and don't anyone ever forget all the cool tacked on shots of CGI beasts being over animated..  they look so awesome composite into 70's and 80's film.  rad.

Actually I more agree with you than not. Keep most of the designs, settings and artwork for Episode one. Get Liam back, get Ewan back, get a new Queen, use Hayden for an aged up Anakin (I still think he'd have potential with a better director) Get a new director/screen-writer/producer and stick George as Exc. Producer. Make a swashingbuckling story based on the interplay between Anakin and Obi-wan becoming friends, kill Qui-gon in the middle, Let Maul speak and have much more time killing Naboo etc. Take the stick out of the collective Jedi's asses, make the council washed up and lame if you wish, but keep Obi-wan and Qui-Gon kicking ass. Make Ewan the "Han Solo" figure to better fit the image of him when he's talking to Yoda in Empire (Where he reminds Yoda that he was just as reckless and with much anger in him at Luke's age as Luke does.) and cut all the CG crap and just call it "Episode I Special Edition" with 100% new footage. I don't think too many people would mind too much.

I actually agree with some of your ideas LePoseur, even though I actually don't think the new movies are as terrible as some think. We can kid ourselves all we want, but Star Wars has always had it's own special blend of cheese & hokyness!

But if you re-read Oihan's post, you will see he is actually talking about re-doing the original trilogy. Worst. Idea. Evar. I like them the way they are just fine...coked-up starlets and all! I would like to have the original original trilogy on DVD instead of the SE's but I've no doubt we will get it one day. People are kidding themselves if they think this is the only release of the OT we will get. I'll buy this and sell it after Episode 3 is released and we get the new super-duper box set with both trilogies. And that certainly will not be the last release. If you sell it, they will buy!

Actually, I woudln't mind seein a new Episode I either. Didn't care too much for the first. And the OT is just outdated. It just doesn't seem to flow right, quality wise with the footage. He should just redo them, keep the old OT, but make them again...so everything is up to date.

Edited by Oihan

What's the difference between the originals, the 1997 special editions, and any other versions out there?  I have no clue how many versions there are....

IMDB explains the alternate versions.

Alternate Versions for a New Hope

Alternate Versions for The Empire Strikes

Alternate Versions for Return of the Jedi

Alternate Versions for The Phantom Menace

Alternate Versions for Attack of the Clones

Thnx!

"This is not a democracy" - ie, George don't care if that's what you want. He's gonna release Star Wars the way he wants.

Until one day he decides to do it right and make us all pay for the trilogy again. <_<

The first part is dead right.

The second part is dead wrong. Do his jackbooted thugs (ex Federal agents fired for brutality, probably) gonna come over and force you to buy the new release? :lol:

The second part is dead wrong. Do his jackbooted thugs (ex Federal agents fired for brutality, probably) gonna come over and force you to buy the new release? :lol:

uh...Yes? :ph34r:

:p

but seriously, anyone who doesn't want the over produced version of the trilogy will buy it again.