How to save Star Trek

Wolf13

1. Paramount needs to stop milking the cash cow, and let the series lie dormant for a decade or more. After that, if the fans demand it come back (like they did in the late 70's) then let it come back. Thanks to that dormant period, we got the greatest ST movie of all time Wrath of Khan.

2. Star Trek fans who decried Enterprise at first (and rightly so) need to boycott the piece of crap instead of watching it, and being "happy that there's a Trek series on the air". This is a personal quote from a friend of mine who is a member of a local Star Trek geek club, they all hate Enterprise, but watch it nonetheless because it carries the Star Trek title.

3. LET KIRK STAY DEAD!!!!! - Noone wants to see Kirk come back more than SHATNER. This was proven in the books that he [cough]wrote[/cough] after Generations where Kirk gets cloned etc etc. CRAP!. Let him do TJ Hooker conventions from now on...

4. If in ten year's time, it has been forgotten, then let it go...

Admiral Janeway (with a cameo from Captain Picard and/or Captain Sisko)

God, why punish us with more Janeway? :blink:

From what I heard, Stewart doesn't want to don as the French captain again because he felt typecasted as being ST. I doubt he'll do it again.

Avery Brooks had stated time and time again that he hates Berman and Braga to the bone and would refuse outright unless someone else other than them is in charge.

Captain Riker

The problem with him is that he's the Diet Coke version of Kirk.

Colonel (Commander) Nerys

I have nothing wrong with her on DS9 but would love to see Mirror Universe Kira again (with the sinister black catsuit).

Lt. Cmdr. LaForge

What I can't tolerate from him is that he uses technobabble to solve everything. I want Scotty or O'Brien instead.

Counselor Troi

What I can't understand of her is her telepathic mood swings. And she better not probe my mind without permission.

Chief Engineer Torres

What is with her mad mood swings? :huh: Her solution to repairs are either banging it or beat up a fellow engineer. That is unless, her original brain was stolen and replaced with a S&M mistress.

Doctor Bashir

IMO, he's an OK doctor next up with McCoy with a knack of being bright (his genes aren't his fault in that). Crusher is a turn-off and the EMH better not sing. If Pulaski is still around, she would use lowtech ways to administer medical aid like a splint.

Science Officer 7 of 9

What's with her as ex-Borg Ice Queen? :huh: Everytime she develops being more human and emotional, she would have it erased with an electric probe tool and her lost childhood doesn't help matters.

Furthermore, she couldn't get a good, well-developed romantic relationship. Some flicker, some given bad timing and some didn't turn out right.

Yet, she has managed to pull out scientific solutions on the fly.

Also, was she a good replacement to Kes on Voyager?

A show that focused on a obsolete little carrier ship that holds a squadron of singleseat fighters would be cool. The single seat fighters are /never/ given much glory in Star Trek.

-BEN-MAN-

I'm curious to see what two incredibly smart and talented actors could've done for Star Trek.

IMHO I think Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner's involvement WITH the production process totally hindered The Next Generation movies. In the TNG television series it was ALL the crew. By the time TNG's movies rolled around it turned into the freaking Picard and Data show. Leaving the table scraps for Riker, Worf, and Troi. While Crusher and LaForge gets nothing but bones.....

It was Patrick Stewart's (he was credited with Associate Producer status) involvement with Insurrection that made it go soooooooooo wrong (which was one of the main reasons for the failure of Nemesis).

It was Brent Spiner's involvment with Nemesis that made it go sooooooooo wrong. Hence we have the horrid B4/duplicate android storyline. It was indeed a nod to The Wrath of Khan, the movie was full of the heart but something went wrong. If Data dies then you shouldn't have a clone replacing him at the end of the movie. :ph34r:

You say Po-tay-toe, I say Po-tah-toe.

I seem to be of the opposite opinion, but hey... I still love ya, man. :wub:

I think you're candy-coating it a bit, though. Berman was still executive producer for both of those movies. That means he's top-dog and first go-to for complaints. The screenwriters were just trying to give what they thought the people wanted most.

I'm curious how Stewart's role as Exec. Producer made the movie sooooo bad? It's just such a broad statement with no specifics.

Also, since no one has been credited solely with the B-4 storyline, you can't simply blame Spiner, since the movie was actually written by Logan, Spiner and Berman (who, I think, was uncredited. but they mentioned it in nearly every interview at the time).

In the end, though, I can live with or without it. I like Star Trek, and wouldn't mind if it keeps going. But I'm not going to cry if it goes away.

Two brillant plans to save Star Trek!

1. Sex. Nothing like T&A to boost the ratings.

2. Canceal the show and bring it back as new series 5 years later.

LOL, I think that's been tried. 7 of nine and the vulcan shower scene from the first ep. of Enterprise. Or is she romulan... I don't know.

Looks like they're left with choice #2.

The constant issuance of new lame serieses is not really a desperate plan to save Star Trek as it is a desperate act to keep the UPN alive. Even Buffy couldn't do it.

Well, I guess I should preface this by saying that I'm not a Star Trek fan. I'll watch it if my friend is, but otherwise, nothing besides the original series and two of the movies (Wrath and Undiscovered Country) ever did anything for me.

My first suggestion is to kill the series and let it rest for about five years. It's important though not to waste that time, but to use it to develop whatever "good" ideas they have now into something super.

I like the idea of an overreaching direction that the smaller story arcs can fit into, with all this wrap-everything-up-in-60-mins crap being left to a minimum.

I'd also like to see a return to the original series style of stories that actually were relevant to the day. I think it was their willingness to challenge audiences with stories about cold-war style governments, racism, and the like that really make the original series entertaining to watch regardless of the crappy production values.

Star Trek since then, at least for me, has only been a story about the lives of a bunch of people in space. I'm not saying that's bad... but only that is bad. Characters are usually only interesting when interesting things happen.

Forgot to add, if I didn't have to deal with the Undiscovered Country's "Scooby-Doo" ending it would have been much better! Still though, it's almost perfect timing with end of the cold war more than over came that flaw. I think it was only possible to get that kind of resonance because of the original series' willingness to delve into those types of topics in the past. I can't imagine Riker, or anyone from Voyager *shudder* being able to do something like that with, say terrorism or out of control governments -- they just don't have the background to make it fly for me.

Edited by LePoseur

Im with Keith on this one.

Just watch Uchuu Senkan Yamato. It'll make everything so clear.

-BEN-MAN-

But. You can't end every episode of Star Trek by firing the wave motion gun (or as seen in Best of Both Worlds.....the Main Deflector Dish). :ph34r:

But. You can't end every episode of Star Trek by firing the wave motion gun (or as seen in Best of Both Worlds.....the Main Deflector Dish). :ph34r:

Why not? Power Rangers always end the battle with the same attack.... why can't Star Trek? :lol:

I think the best thing for everyone to do is go out & buy the HK box set's for Space Cruiser Yamato series 1-3.....no, seriously!

In fact, any sci-fi anime (even Macross) are far better than what Berman and Braga are offering. :lol: Whenever Enterprise shows up, I flip it off and put in any sci-fi anime DVD for me to watch.

Besides, most of the sci-fi anime are very competant and reliable in warfare because they use 20th-21st century combat tactics and build it up from that point. While all Star Trek aliens (including the Feds) are stuck at 18th-19th century tactics because they incompentantly put overconfindence to their technology.

If I wanted to watch 18th-19th century combat, I rather watch "Gettysburg", "Napoleon" or "The Patroit". :p

Bah, to fight fair against Star Trek aliens would be to stoop down to their level of combat tactics. :angry: Warfare is never fair and the only outcome is victory or defeat no matter if it means fighting dirty.

To win against Borg adaptive shields is ridiculously easy: either overwhelm them with massive firepower to the point the shields burn out or use weapons that don't interact with the shields like railgun slugs.

Why not? Power Rangers always end the battle with the same attack.... why can't Star Trek? :lol:

Because all the Star Trek species use 18th-19th century combat tactics, with incompetance hampering any effectiveness. They believe that their starships and shuttles should handle the ground support, leaving only foot soldiers to use transporters (easilly jammed or crippled) or shuttles for insertion and extraction (easilly to be shot down).

Their starships are modeled after such said era of naval combat due to the fact they fight in 2-D and they rarely use shuttles or fighters to assault against starships.

Hell, look at the episode "The Killing Game", where holographic WWII Germans just stood there to be chopped by Klingongs. Real soldiers would regain their composure and fire at them with thousands of MP40 submachinegun slugs.

To win against ground troops, use M2HB or M60 machine guns to kill foolish troops running in with their screaming cries, use poison gas, use heavy artillery and a combination of armoured vehicles to eliminate mere foot soldiers. In the meanwhile, shuttles get shot down with anti-aircraft fire, powerful fighters against them and a combination of missiles.

To win against starships, overwhelm them with a combination of capital ships with a large quatity of fighters, overwhelm them with heavy firepower, can travel at star systems faster than their warp drive, use 3-D offensive tactics and use railguns or mass drivers to break through Borg shields.

There. That's simple enough.

Two brillant plans to save Star Trek!

1.  Sex.  Nothing like T&A to boost the ratings.

Bah. Fanservice is only works if it's done in good taste. Seven's an Ice Queen who get her emotions suppressed with a reset button and T'Pol has a turn-off look (boyish hairstyle) with a b-tching superiority attitude that is so un-Vulcan of her.

If wanted fanservice, I go watch anime for fanservice instead.

2. Canceal the show and bring it back as new series 5 years later.

In order for that to work, Berman and Braga must never work on the entertainment industry, not ever. :angry:

Wasn't the Enterprise B a shoddy, old Constellation class? I mean, old, beaten up ships have mucho character and just.. rule...  :)

The Enterprise-B is an Excelsior-class vessel. The only changes to the Excelsior's exterior are paint apps and a few add-ons and that varient reappeared for DS9's two-parter "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost".

The Constellation-class is the four-engine ship roughly the same size as the Enterprise-nil and Enterprise-A. Captain Picard once commanded the Constellation-class USS Stargazer until he was forced to leave the wreck after destroying a Ferenghi cruiser. What pissed me off was that Picard left the wreck mostly intact (and got off the resulting court-martial), which will later be stolen by the Ferenghi Bok to be repaired and reprogrammed as his instrument of revenge against Picard.

Oh! Oh! OH!! I meant Constitution and Enterprise-A... haha.. my bad....

...the one that replaced the ship which self destructed... I believe..

Hahah.. shows you how much I know about Trek...

i don`t know what are you talking about, the only weak spot in star trek on the last 10 years have been voyager, had some great moment but just that, and insurrection, if people are not watching Enterprise they are losing a good series...

ENTERPRISE: 3 SEASON PREMIERE WEDNESDAYS 8/7C ON upn

I like the idea of an overreaching direction that the smaller story arcs can fit into, with all this wrap-everything-up-in-60-mins crap being left to a minimum.

Actually, given commercials and everything, it's more like "wrap everything up in 45 minutes crap..." :p

Actually, the Wave Motion Cannon was very rarely used, as was warp. The Yamato relied on the hearts of all of its crew (not just the bridge crew) to save the day (usually at the cost of many lives). The Yamato didn't always win, and sometimes just barely getting away was all that they could do.

If you want something flavored like the original Star Trek, only better, definately go get those DVD's!

Actually, given commercials and everything, it's more like "wrap everything up in 45 minutes crap..." :p

Actually, I beleive most shows on television are now down to 40 minutes of actual air time.

i would like to see a new st series based on a federation citizen (and maybe a small crew) who owns a small ship (between a shuttle and a small transport) and done various jobs to earn latium or upgrade his ship. The jobs he does can proly be from transporting ppl of importance who dont want to use their normal transport that would gain attention from others, transporting cargo (illegal or legal) to planets or stations, Raids that involve more finess since he will be the underdog in battles.

I think what people are forgetting is that Star Trek isn't supposed to be a war show. The combat is underdeveloped becuase its only supposed to be a secondary device...(plus IMHO 18th century naval warfare is just really cool, and Horatio Hornblower was one of Roddenbury's inspirations). At its best, ST has always been a morality play about relevant issues, using outer space to examine controversial topics without immediately putting people on the defensive by distancing the story.

The only 'war' show was DS9 (which I loved) but that was to show how these people would react in such a situation. Even though it was a war show, DS9 still examined relevant issues (Homefront, Inter Arma Silent Leges, and In the Pale Moonlight).

To be fair B+B seem to have forgotten what its about also. ST needs new people in charge who can revitalize it....creative and risky writing while remembering that first and foremost ST has an underlying philosophical current.

Geek points:

1. In the several fleet actions we see in DS9 they do indeed use fighters. Fighters seem to lack the 24th century equivalent of the WWII torpedo (a compact weapon carried by fighter that could deal more damage than another capital ship could), so they don't seem to be as prominent as they are in modern warfare.

2. Mass drivers and railguns wouldn't be effective against shielded ships, as they have shields that deflect asteroids and the like.

I still believe that Enterprise will end with the Klingon war starting up. Something will happen with the "temporal war" that erases the existence of this Enterprise.

True.....I get the feeling that Enterprise's Season Finale (I hope it's built up like an arc) will be a huge reset button. But......I hope they're using the new Delpic Exspanse storyline as a catalyst to the much heard about ROMULAN WARS (that should take place in the later seasons). If they EVER plan on making an Enterprise movie then it SHOULD be about the BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION. B)

The Feds' starfighters are the Peringine-class fighters. They can be seen on DS9 but are too small to look at due to lack of close-up or midshots in the footage. They are around 25 meters long.

The Peringines were meant to be civilian courier vessels, in which the Maquis would modify them as their starfighters. Surplus parts from the Peringines would later be used to construct Je'day-class raiders, which are roughly around 80 meters long (around the size of a Dominion Attack Ship). When the Dominion War broke out, the Feds take examples of the Maquis Raiders and refit all of the Peringines as combat starfighters.

The reason why the Feds didn't got around using fighters because of the peace-driven social and political trends of the 24th century, while a few other species had used fighters as combat support. Good thing the Dominion War nudged the Federation to act tough, but the Nemesis movie bumped down a notch in military might.

peregrine.jpg

High-res blueprints:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/fa...edfighter-t.gif

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/fa...fighter-fsr.gif

Edited by Captain of the SDF-1 Macross

While the "Venture-class" ships are meant as scout craft, they can be used as starfighters, as Data proved it against So'na ships in Insurrection.

scout.jpg

i don`t know what are you talking about, the only weak spot in star trek on the last 10 years have been voyager, had some great moment but just that, and insurrection, if people are not watching Enterprise they are losing a good series...

Meh. The later half of TNG, the first half of DS9 and all of Voyager has shown the ST franchise rotting due to B&B's mishandling. The TNG-era movies have become the Picard and Data show and only First Contact had impressed me.

Enterprise has shown to break up ST because it kills what TOS and Kirk stood for in what makes ST great. B&B has already ruined in how Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Tholians and Orions are supposed to look like and how they behave.

ENTERPRISE: 3 SEASON PREMIERE WEDNESDAYS 8/7C ON upn

(looks at ad)

Meh.

(crushes ad with fist and kicks it away from my muddy boot)

I already lost interest in Enterprise after I randomly watch Season 1 (I did watch for Broken Bow) and gave up on the Shockwave two-partner. Regeneration did raise one eyebrow from me but it wasn't enough for me to get back into it.

OK, you Borg advertising handlers. Eat .45 cal lead from my Tommy Gun.

(Borg falls dead and more march in)

No way you're gonna assimilate me. March forward, Cybermen. KILL THEM ALL!!!

post-26-1062973423_thumb.jpg

OK, you Borg advertising handlers. Eat .45 cal lead from my Tommy Gun.

(Borg falls dead and more march in)

No way you're gonna assimilate me. March forward, Cybermen. KILL THEM ALL!!!

um...one question: what are you on??