VF-0S with Drones

Graham

Guys, the new Spring 2004 issue of Character Model magazine features some black and white line-art pictures (see below) of the VF-0S with two drones attached on pylons mounted to the back-plate (in place of the normal dorsal-mounted fuel tanks).

To me, it looks like the drones are armed with micro-missile launchers, located towards the front of the drone near the drone's canards.

Also shown for the first time are what appear to be wing-mounted drop tanks as well as some new type of wing-mounted missile (high manauever missile?) on tripple-ejector-racks on the wings.

I guess we'll be seeing this appear in episode # 4 of Macross Zero?

Enjoy the pics.

Graham

Kinda reminds me of the "bits/funnel" system in Gundam, with little drones flying around helping the pilot out, though not controlled by Newtype powers of course.

It will be interesting to see what kind of battle they are used in.

Well I wonder:

1) is this official, as I don't see any BW logo or SK signature, though I may ahve missed it.

2) why mount them above the fuselage like that, it would seem that the pilot would want to launch them immediately upon entering the combat zone, too much drag and weight on the airframe otherwise.

3) are you sure those are some sort of high manuever missile and not just aam-1s, its hard to tell from the pics

4) the small pic of the VF-0 with the highlighted cockpit, what is that saying there?

Edited by Knight26

Well I wonder:

1) is this official, as I don't see any BW logo or SK signature, though I may ahve missed it.

2) why mount them above the fuselage like that, it would seem that the pilot would want to launch them immediately upon entering the combat zone, too much drag and weight on the airframe otherwise.

3) are you sure those are some sort of high manuever missile and not just aam-1s, its hard to tell from the pics

4) the small pic of the VF-0 with the highlighted cockpit, what is that saying there?

Awesome!

VF-0 VFERR (Variable Fighter Experiment Requirements Review)

with 'unmanned missile fighters' each with 3 micro missile launchers... not sure how many shots each....

1) Yes. It appears this will be in Macross Zero Episode 4. Shoji Kawamori's signature is present.

2) This design allows the vertical stabilizers (v-tail) to be folded up and the packaged sub engine can't be used (for GERWALK mode etc.)

3) The AMM-1s have only been seen being used by the VF-1 Valkyrie. What is on each of the outboard pylons are a 3-set of combat |air launched (?)| decoys

4) smaller cockpit picture's text says "dummy canopy (pilot)"

Edited by Nanashi

Well I wonder:

It is designed by Shoji Kawamori in collaboration with the Character Model magazine, although it is not intended for the Macross Zero animation itself (yet).

As stand-off weapons, the drones and decoys are intended to be launched in long distance offensives to lessen the need for direct engagement.

The units on the outboard hard point pylons are actually three tactical air-launched decoys.

The highlighted canopy is actually the painted dummy canopy on the decoys.

To nip some rumors in the bud ...

VFERR is the magazine section which this VF-0 will be featured in, not the name of the vehicle itself. It does not stand for "Variable Fighter Experiment Evaluation" or "Variable Fighter Experiment Requirements Review."

1) Yes. It appears this will be in Macross Zero Episode 4. Shoji Kawamori's signature is present.

This does not appear in episode #4.

This weapon complement was designed specifically for the Macross Zero VFERR column in Character Model.

2) This design allows the vertical stabilizers (v-tail) to be folded up and the packaged sub engine can't be used (for GERWALK mode etc.)

This is speculation, and is not stated by the creators.

3) The AMM-1s have only been seen being used by the VF-1 Valkyrie. What is on each of the outboard pylons are a 3-set of combat |air launched (?)| decoys

They are actually called tactical air-launched decoys, not "de_i(ee)." ("Combat" is a wrong kanji misreading.)

It says dummy canopy (paint), not "pilot."

So basically, it's like a fan-custom then, something that will never be seen in animation? I've got to be honest, I hope Shoji skips this one and lets it stay on the drawing board... (it's just my opinion), but it looks rather outlandish.. makes it look more like the SV-51, which I cannot stand.

Those drones look so VF-19ish it's not even funny....

This loadout, while interesting, looks pretty messed up.... Give me the base-model VF-0 instead, less to worry about.

Edited by Skull Leader

So basically, it's like a fan-custom then, something that will never be seen in animation? I've got to be honest, I hope Shoji skips this one and lets it stay on the drawing board... (it's just my opinion), but it looks rather outlandish.. makes it look more like the SV-51, which I cannot stand.

Fan-custom? Can't really call it a fan-custom since Kawamori drew it. If you have to hang it anywhere on your pic board, hang it with the VF-EX stuff. Although, considering that the VF-0 uses lots of fuel, the drop tanks aren't a bad add-on.

edit: So Egan, can we consider this something similar to the Mobile Suit Variations (MSV) from the Gundam designers?

Edited by azrael

Fan-custom? Can't really call it a fan-custom since Kawamori drew it.

Who says you can't be a fan of your own material?

Should this become a cannon plane then It would be rather remarkable, seeing as VF-0s are rather rare in the UN Spacy at this time, anyway.

To nip some rumors in the bud ...

VFERR is the magazine section which this VF-0 will be featured in, not the name of the vehicle itself. It does not stand for "Variable Fighter Experiment Evaluation" or "Variable Fighter Experiment Requirements Review."

This does not appear in episode #4.

This weapon complement was designed specifically for the Macross Zero VFERR column in Character Model.

They are actually called tactical air-launched decoys, not "de_i(ee)." ("Combat" is a wrong kanji misreading.)

I had corrected myself prior to your posting.

Well if these may be rumors....

Mr Egan Loo, is there any truth to the QF-2001 Ghost drone fighters linking up to the VF-0 to act as a kind of Ghost Booster?

Of course the it is... : )

Thank you for your corrections.

It is interesting I will give it that, but it is too unbelievable a design. I like the idea of the decoys, but those would be too small to really fool anyone, unless they're like those lame inflatable ones in Gundam. Also those attack drones would be a pain to seperate in flight in an atmosphere, there we would far too high a risk of collision with the launchign aircraft where they are now.

if those can be mounted on battroid mode...we now havbe a super battroid VF-0S sans arm armor!

I would speculate this is the reason they are mounted where they are - backpack position for Battroid.

Edited by dna

Knight26---there were tons of decoys used in Desert Storm, F-18's and I think A-6's especially tended to launch them. Launch 60 decoys, make Iraq think there was a major strike coming on, they launch planes and SAM's that way, then 10 minutes later the REAL strike package comes in from another direction, and the Iraqi's are stuck reloading, out of ammo, and with overheated AAA barrels.

TALD--tactical air launched decoy. Exact same designation as is being used here.

It is interesting I will give it that, but it is too unbelievable a design. I like the idea of the decoys, but those would be too small to really fool anyone, unless they're like those lame inflatable ones in Gundam. Also those attack drones would be a pain to seperate in flight in an atmosphere, there we would far too high a risk of collision with the launchign aircraft where they are now.

What David said.

Also, I don't see how launching those drones in flight would be any different than a plane launching a missile.

IIRC, even the UK's Sea Harrier has a variant with missiles mounted on top of the wings.

Also, in the real world, the decoys aren't meant to visually fool the enemy, but to return a signature that seems like it's a real target*.

*the Russians do a good one in Red Storm Rising.

AHHH!!! Spoilers! (I'm reading Red Storm Rising right now)

Sorry!!!

:D

Great book, though. Of course, I've always let it be known that I'm a big Clancy fan.

One thing I'm curious about:

The term VFERR which was also used in those new pics from Hobby Japan that Graham posted, is that acronym canon ot not*?

*I haven't had a chance to see any of the M-zero shows yet... :(

So these are supposed to be solely designed for the Macross Zero zection of Character Model magazine , right ?

This means this will be a new section focused on M0 alternate designs by Kawamori himself , which doesn´t mean thet´ll appear on the OVA itself.

I´m gonna have to speculate a bit here and say I´m suspecting we´ll be seeing a M0 artbook soon enough. God , if only Mikimoto would cooperate with some awesome watercoloured VF-0s and Sv-51s I would cry with happyness :D

I wish we could have some nice colour illustrations included with Kawamori´s b/w designs and sketches.

IIRC, even the UK's Sea Harrier has a variant with missiles mounted on top of the wings.

I don't think the Shar ever mounted any weapons above the wings. I know the Sepecat Jaguar can carry sidewinder type weapons and the ol'Lightning can carry drop tanks and even rocket pods though.