What do you tell strangers when they come over?

Benson13

I had two relatives come over last weekend to see the new house and I totally got judged. It's OK though, I know the chick he's about to marry and she's a real see you next Tuesday and would never let him have anything like this even if he was interested.

Edited by Benson13

Macross collectables in fighter mode are always easier to rationalize. I've always been fascinated with things that fly and japanese anime, so anything that looks like an airplane doesn't surprise my relatives and friends. Now it's not my fault that Gundams, Getters and some others fly too! My Gundam Metal Builds and Composites, and Fewture Gokins do initiate that "are you not drifting too far with all this?" look.

Edited by Dimis

I had two relatives come over last weekend to see the new house and I totally got judged. It's OK though, I know the chick he's about to marry and she's a real see you next Tuesday and would never let him have anything like this even if he was interested.

Really? What did they say?

Allergic reaction to people calling my Yamatos Robotech.... lol. It happens everytime.

Yep know the feeling.. My cousin (who does know better) continuously refers to my Macross stuff as Robotech and or says something stupid like Macross was originally based on or copied Robotech.. I don't actually have anything Robotech anyways.. He never had very much Robotech or Macross stuff to begin with and what he did have he got rid of in favour for his love of Transformers (pass).. Most others who see my stuff either don't know what it is or correct themselves mid flight rather than call it Robotech..

Edited by spanner76

I used to live with a typical valley girl (not a romantic situation, she was just a roommate). She used to refer to my toys as "Robotrons". "Whatcha, doin'? Playin' with your Robotrons?" It was kind of fun. For all the wine that got drunk I was pretty fortunate not to lose any Robotrons.

Most visitors don't even get to see my collection as they're all displayed in my collection room/study/workshop/man cave, and is always under lock and key in case one of their little rugrats get curious.

Friends don't judge because I've always been a hobbyist and collector from the start. Besides, model kits and collectibles is very common in Malaysia, and isn't usually frowned upon, except some elderly relatives, maybe.

They really didn't say anything. It was their body language and the look they exchanged that said it all. What pissed me off is that I endure all their BS sports talk and all their activities every time we have to spend family time, they could've been more considerate of my interests.

I used to live with a typical valley girl (not a romantic situation, she was just a roommate). She used to refer to my toys as "Robotrons". "Whatcha, doin'? Playin' with your Robotrons?" It was kind of fun. For all the wine that got drunk I was pretty fortunate not to lose any Robotrons.

hahaha!! Robotrons.. Hilarious! :D

They really didn't say anything. It was their body language and the look they exchanged that said it all. What pissed me off is that I endure all their BS sports talk and all their activities every time we have to spend family time, they could've been more considerate of my interests.

What annoys me is that im often picked on :( due to my complete lack of interest in rugby, cricket, horse racing, etc.. as im mostly a motorsport and collectibles kinda person.. only to find out that those hard core sports fans who pick on me cos of my interests have odd ball collections or hobbies of their own but NO not allowed to pick on or make fun of their stuff.. I mean who cares if anyone likes to collect porcelain cows, stuffed animals, old coke bottles & bar runners..

Gee I hope they don't ever find this post! They'll surely know who im pointing out.. :p

Edited by spanner76

hahaha!! Robotrons.. Hilarious! :D

What annoys me is that im often picked on :( due to my complete lack of interest in rugby, cricket, horse racing, etc.. as im mostly a motorsport and collectibles kinda person.. only to find out that those hard core sports fans who pick on me cos of my interests have odd ball collections or hobbies of their own but NO not allowed to pick on or make fun of their stuff.. I mean who cares if anyone likes to collect porcelain cows, stuffed animals, old coke bottles & bar runners..

Gee I hope they don't ever find this post! They'll surely know who im pointing out.. :p

Worse yet:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Derek-Jeter-Autographed-Classic-Best-Rookie-Baseball-Card-617-of-1200-/331181794816?pt=US_Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item4d1bf92600

I'm sure that any of those people who sent the seller an offer would think it's silly to spend $200 on a model!

Edited by Dimis

Worse yet:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Derek-Jeter-Autographed-Classic-Best-Rookie-Baseball-Card-617-of-1200-/331181794816?pt=US_Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item4d1bf92600

I'm sure that any of those people who sent the seller an offer would think it's silly to spend $200 on a model!

how...could...that...ever...be...actually...worth...that!?!? *mind blown*

Unfortunately, being a jock sniffer is considered normal, and encouraged by popular, celebrity oriented, culture; but being a toy/model collector is considered immature, childish, and geeky. It's the same mentality that elevates rappers and derides "nerds", even though it's the "nerds", in large part, who've created all the stuff that the judgmental masses take for granted.

In the end, who gives a flying fornication what others think of your hobby(s)? And if others' opinions bother you too much, than hide your stuff out of sight, or get rid of it in order to conform.

Yeah, it sucks that there can be a stigma attached to whatever it is people like or have interests in. This expands to well outside of our Macross/TF/Toy/Model/Figurine those here may have.

You kind of have to suffer some of that foolishness from family, but any time I had a friend, regardless of male or female if they came across as higher-than-thou about my stuff they usually weren't long for my "circle".

I did find that depending on how big my place was (went from a 1 bed, to 3 bed, to 1 bed and finally to 2 bedroom apartment) and how my display was set up would have a bit of an impact on how my robo-whatever's were perceived.

That's hilarious!

-b.

how...could...that...ever...be...actually...worth...that!?!? *mind blown*

Anyone can ask for any amount. It is what other is willing to pay for that really matters. I collect autographs, sport cards, and toys. The addiction is all the same.

Everyone has their own interest so I won't judge anyone on what they collect.

Edited by dapro

You served the country Benson. F Them.

In the end, who gives a flying fornication what others think of your hobby(s)? And if others' opinions bother you too much, than hide your stuff out of sight, or get rid of it in order to conform.

I like this comment. My collection (mainly TFs but Macross is slowly growing) sits right inside the front door in a few glass/timber display cabinets. The funny thing is that in the last week I've had 4 tradies in to do various things and not one has noticed what is actually in those cabinets. When I greet them they are to busy listening to me talk about the reason they were called and they have been working down the other end of the house. When they leave they are usually busy carrying oh their stuff so don't notice either. I have a dishwasher repairer coming round today and the kitchen looks out over the lounge rom so I'll see if he notices :)

Although I did have a landscaper come to do a quote a few months ago and as there is no rear access to my courtyard he had to walk the ought the house and he noticed. He looked and went "Cool! Transformers! I remember that cartoon!" And proceeded to start singing the theme song and dancing on the spot while having a look at my collection. The funny thing is his little performance lasted for at least a minute. He was a strange guy.

Edited by Silverstreak