Jump to content
mslz22

1/24 scale valikuree.....

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,   sorry I don't get here hardly at all anymore. 
 

Sadly all of the pics have been lost to the photobucket debacle,  a computer that has been gone for years,  and the sands of time.

I still have the model but it needs a tune up before I would take any pics.   I may do a repaint at some point actually but until my youngest kid gets a bit older my time is still very limited.

mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, mslz22 said:

Hey guys,   sorry I don't get here hardly at all anymore. 
 

Sadly all of the pics have been lost to the photobucket debacle,  a computer that has been gone for years,  and the sands of time.

I still have the model but it needs a tune up before I would take any pics.   I may do a repaint at some point actually but until my youngest kid gets a bit older my time is still very limited.

mike

 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'm sure there are some examples out there of the completed kit, you must have sold more than a few I would think.  I was just curious to see how others have tackled the build.  I dig mine out from time to time to look at it, but I don't think I have the confidence or the skill to build it yet (never touched a resin kit before).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mslz22 said:

Hey guys,   sorry I don't get here hardly at all anymore. 
 

Sadly all of the pics have been lost to the photobucket debacle,  a computer that has been gone for years,  and the sands of time.

I still have the model but it needs a tune up before I would take any pics.   I may do a repaint at some point actually but until my youngest kid gets a bit older my time is still very limited.

mike

 

FYI, if you turn off javascript, you may be able to get the images to load in the forum post, so you can grab them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much appreciated for the update Mike, would be cool to still see the FAST pack armor set created by someone for your 1/24 valkyrie. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry it took so long for me to upload pics of the kit.  I took a look at it for the first time since I bought it from Mike.....I'm in wayyyyyyy over my head with this one. 

I think I would probably be brave enough to try and paint the thing, but prepping a resin kit is something I have no experience with...ie, fitting parts, filling, sanding and working on those panel lines (making them deeper/stand out more?), and assembly.  

P9140998.thumb.JPG.c5aed82a878fb883a148446d30cc790d.JPG

P9140999.thumb.JPG.25be607c29d8369805da37c408ce41b6.JPG

P9141000.thumb.JPG.ebdf2e72c78e7096f87eca407c5ce343.JPG

P9141001.thumb.JPG.f19a3e633a6792178d0d755fb19ded9e.JPG

P9141002.thumb.JPG.6e0283ffc8dc22201cd60ae52cbaab31.JPG

P9141003.thumb.JPG.313ef80a1f6d744ea7dea419dc583146.JPG

P9141004.thumb.JPG.08ed14c2ea025402aa4ec49113f73903.JPG

P9141005.thumb.JPG.fc2829a66416da82a47b64691e926c3a.JPG

P9141006.thumb.JPG.ef3f4ce8d43198d3a510d5955b303a93.JPG

P9141007.thumb.JPG.699f968810c6d10e5fca98c0737a17b2.JPG

P9141008.thumb.JPG.1a9edc64dbd7e7ced2394fa10f278b12.JPG

P9141009.thumb.JPG.5e4e4b75f7908fb843f53e6fb95d512e.JPG

P9141010.thumb.JPG.f6baf827044d16aad2b1b1b9511a3757.JPG

Size comparison with a Hasegawa 1/72 on the left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pics Peter thanks for sharing!

With regard to preparing a resin kit the key is to just get started. I'd argue it is actually easier on a good resin kit than a Plastic kit as there is often fewer seam lines to clean up. 

To build confidence start by removing the pour stubs. Don't cheap out and try and use an exacto. You spent a few hundred dollars on that kit so spend a few more and get a Modeling saw and handle.  Below are similar to what I use.

razor-saw-big.jpg.d0b81981a341bcc8372fb0779876cc4b.jpg

The rest of what you need you probably already have or can be purchased cheaply. A course file, wet and dry sandpaper and sanding sticks.

(BTW always cut and sand wet. It keeps the dust down and the water keeps the cutting surfaces clean and gives a better result.) 

That will get you started and you can build your confidence. If you like start a new build thread in the work shop section and keep us posted. That way if you have any questions we can chime in. 

So what are you waiting for? GO START THAT NEW THREAD! :p

Because Mike put a lot of effort into designing, patterning and casting that kit. It deserves to be built.

 

Cheers,

Brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the looks of it, she'll be quite a beauty when she's all put together. I'm wishing I had ordered one of these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, let's talk about the elephant in the room ! Mike, how much orders you need to put this astouning baby back in production ? I'm one of the guys who lost the chance to buy it and still wanna it ! 

Please think about ! Cherrs !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Spitfire_BR said:

Mike, how much orders you need to put this astouning baby back in production ?

Practically speaking, it's not going to happen.  With Max Factory's PLAMAX 1:20 VF-1 kits available now, there just aren't enough fans with the skills (and the cash) to tackle a slightly-smaller resin kit version instead...  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the enthusiasm,  but yes I won't be reviving this in any way.  It's a project that was really more for myself and a few people here who wanted one at the time.  It's not something that practical at all,  even back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mslz22 said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm,  but yes I won't be reviving this in any way.  It's a project that was really more for myself and a few people here who wanted one at the time.  It's not something that practical at all,  even back then.

You'll just have to out-do Max-Factory by making a 1/12 scale :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, peter said:

You'll just have to out-do Max-Factory by making a 1/12 scale :)

Maybe in my younger days,   my pattern making days are over.   Anything I do now is either just for myself or paint ups of existing kits across a broad range of sci fi subjects....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mslz22 said:

Maybe in my younger days,   my pattern making days are over.   Anything I do now is either just for myself or paint ups of existing kits across a broad range of sci fi subjects....

You'll always be the one who brought us this massive Valk :)

 

Hope to see pics of your personal Macross related works in the future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always liked building Mike’s kits. They really command a display!

I have always wanted one of the 1/24 VF kits but at the time I missed my chance when they were originally released.

Maybe some day.

Here’s to hope.

A84F9269-CBF5-4EE9-8015-8618A26EBE60.jpeg

314025F6-25D8-4AEE-AA49-B37EBAAB5841.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 3:27 AM, Return To Kit Form said:

Great pics Peter thanks for sharing!

With regard to preparing a resin kit the key is to just get started. I'd argue it is actually easier on a good resin kit than a Plastic kit as there is often fewer seam lines to clean up. 

To build confidence start by removing the pour stubs. Don't cheap out and try and use an exacto. You spent a few hundred dollars on that kit so spend a few more and get a Modeling saw and handle.  Below are similar to what I use.

razor-saw-big.jpg.d0b81981a341bcc8372fb0779876cc4b.jpg

The rest of what you need you probably already have or can be purchased cheaply. A course file, wet and dry sandpaper and sanding sticks.

(BTW always cut and sand wet. It keeps the dust down and the water keeps the cutting surfaces clean and gives a better result.) 

 

A side note about the sanding dust, I do remember reading that resin dust is quite a bit finer than styrene, to the point of being hazardous.  People tend to recommend a particulate filter mask and goggles when working on resin.  I don't know if you need anything higher tier than your typical paper dust filter mask, but overkill can't hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to everyone that has posted pictures of Mike's kits!  :hi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...