The Professional Photography and Photoshop Thread

kensei

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D w/ 17-85 EF-S IS lens. I shoot on a tripod and use the timer if I'm concerned about camera shake. My setup is a blue cloth backdrop and natural light. I want to move to a more conventional setup using a cardboard backdrop and fixed lighting.

Settings...

- ISO 200-400

- P mode

- no flash

- custom white balance using a white card - I want to get a gray card soon

- AEB at +/- 2/3 EV

- Use the upper end of the zoom range to avoid feature distortion (avoid

extreme zoom setting of a lens since it tends to have distortion)

Any examples of your posted setting? Also what ambient lighting source (other than natural light) do you prefer? Like for example halogen, flourescent or both (which by the way simulates natural light, so they say).

I don't have anything Macross related handy so here are some scaled prop replicas (couple more links below the pict). The fill light I'm currently using is tungsten (small incandescent household spot bulb shooting from across the room). I prefer tungsten since it provides a nice range from gold to white if a dimmer is being used.

The problem with my current approach is that I need to have a good amount of natural light coming in through the window. Needless to say that moving clouds wreak havoc with this primitive setup. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of tungsten shop lights on small tri-pods and adding a soft theatrical lighting gel so that I can have a controlled environment.

IPB Image

Anakin E3 Saber

Anakin E2 Saber

Here's some experimentation I did with a 3.2MP by simply using the MACRO mode (thanks drifand!). Keep in mind, I used no special lighting other than the overhead fluorescents of my laundry room. It helps that the light reflects off the white walls and the white dryer top. If I wanted a dark base, I'd probably need diffused side lites.

Thanks for the tip. I'll go try that with my camera.

Edited by areaseven

THAT IS BRILLIANT dude!

Do you have a hires version of it?

Thanks, the largest I have is 1600x1200:

http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/EVAbootleg/EVA03-Large.jpg

Enjoy... :-)

A bit of history for this shot - The night scene was taken in 2002 with my then brand new Canon G2 while crossing the road in Chinatown. A couple weeks later I bought the 15" tall bootleg EVA toys on a whim (since given away to a neighbor's kid) and decided to try a little photo-diorama work in PS... The big black EVA-03 was carefully posed on a simple white table top, with the camera on a tripod to get the 'right' angle I wanted: a street level 'snap' of a gigantic rampaging monster on its hands and knees.

Several exposures were taken at different apertures to allow for experimentation in DOF. Both images were then composited in PS; the EVA's image layer was masked out, Curve-adjusted for contrast, color temperature matched to night scene. Giveaway toy elements like sprue-cuts, exposed screws etc were cloned away.

Lastly, elements from the night scene (eg. the lamp post) were 'lifted' on top of the EVA to create dimensionality; lamp reflections, glows and dust were cloned or painted on for realism. All in all, I was greatly inspired by Hajime Katoki's 'documentary photos' in the GUNDAM FIX book.

I spent a few bucks today to get a light setup. I'm using 3 gooseneck desk lamps ($2 on clearance at Target), GE Reveal 60W bulbs ($2 for 4) and a thick plastic sheet to use as a diffusers ($7). I'm still experimenting on the positioning - especially the top/front light. I used a sheet of paper towel over the lamps for more diffusion in the front light shots.

I used the tone curve in Lightroom to balance the exposure.

Mirage with front light...

IPB Image

Mirage without front light...

Click Me

Starscream with front light...

IPB Image

Starscream without front light...

Click Me

I agree, that's a very good job - I can't spot any seems! Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like a panoramic picture - at least the element posted above.

My panoramas usually end up with seams... I think I have to rethink how to create them (only using the center of the frames, and trimming the edges?)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

im using "tracing paper" for the diffusion, that was my previous set up.

This is my current set up

IPB Image

For me i think there's two types of toy photography,

1. The photoshop type - relies heavily on Photoshop post-production

Here's two examples

http://www.timbrisko.com/commercialtoy.html

http://www.toysdaily.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37834

2. Secondly the more "photography based" one

The best example would be

www.tfkenkon.com. Remy's webby

Personally i prefer the "photograhy based" kind. but im mucking around right now with both set-up

im using a canon IXUS 5 megapixel cam

what type of bulbs are you using? what wattage?

Yeah, mine's not entirely panoramic, but that's primarily because I took the pix at a 90 degree angle, so it's stretched more up/down. So it's two of those pix side by side. A little odd, but like I said, I was primarily doing it for the practice. Thanks for the comments though.

I spent a few bucks today to get a light setup. I'm using 3 gooseneck desk lamps ($2 on clearance at Target), GE Reveal 60W bulbs ($2 for 4) and a thick plastic sheet to use as a diffusers ($7). I'm still experimenting on the positioning - especially the top/front light. I used a sheet of paper towel over the lamps for more diffusion in the front light shots.

I used the tone curve in Lightroom to balance the exposure.

It seems that the pics look better without the front lights.

Edited by areaseven

I agree, that's a very good job - I can't spot any seems! Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like a panoramic picture - at least the element posted above.

My panoramas usually end up with seams... I think I have to rethink how to create them (only using the center of the frames, and trimming the edges?)

Not perfect, but the shots are good.

Edited by areaseven

areaseven, what do u think ur doin? running amok in this thread just because someone else quoted large images? grow up man...sigh.

What are you talking about? I'm just voicing my opinions on those pics. And replies aren't effective without the pics to reference them.

Besides, if you have a problem with that, report it to the mods. See if they care.

Edited by areaseven

Do you have a direct link to one of those photo box threads? I search and could not find a photo box topic.

Go to Makezine.com and search for photo in the blogs and it will turn up a while bunch of inexpensive but incredibly effective photo boxes to take professional photographs without all the REALLY expensive photo equipment. It'll work fine with your everyday digital camera that you have now.

You did such a great job with the shadows, how'd you do it?

I just make a copy of the object layer and make it black and then play with the "free transformation". I learnt that from a nice website with plenty of PS tutorials... but I have lost the address to it... anyone has any good ones?

Actually the VF-0D's shadow is totally out of accuracy refering to its lightings, but that's the best I can do. :mellow:

By the way since you guys are talking about photo editing too, do you know of a good program that can change, focus, or replace a certain color? My camera is a Cannon SD400 and it has a custom color option at which I can set it to focus only on that color, or even switch a certain color with another automatically. I was wondering if you guys know of a program like that.

Here's a shot that focus mainly on Optimus prime RED

[attachmentid=37913]

post-1296-1163142281_thumb.jpg

I'm not a 100% expert on it, but I believe that Photoshop will let you do it - using channels, if I'm not mistaken. Believe you me, Photoshop is one powerful piece of software. It's only *real* drawback, is that sometimes the file sizes are really, really, massive. But hey, that's a drawback to all programs that use raster graphics...