The Professional Photography and Photoshop Thread

kensei

my non macross toy collection :lol:

Drooool!

May I ask why you went with the 17-40? a 16-35 will give you wider angle and less overlap with the 24-70.

*checks prices*...never mind.

I managed to arrange a VIP pass to a trackday with Italian sportscars for next monday. I should be able to get some nice shots there. :rolleyes:

Help me to appreciate this Vegas...what am I looking at here??? :blink:

lol youre looking at lenses. the two that has a red stripe are the L lenses....canon's professional line (though used extensively by non-professionals) of EOS EF autofocus 35mm SLR and DSLR still camera lenses. they have superior build quality and optically better.

Drooool!

May I ask why you went with the 17-40? a 16-35 will give you wider angle and less overlap with the 24-70.

*checks prices*...never mind.

I managed to arrange a VIP pass to a trackday with Italian sportscars for next monday. I should be able to get some nice shots there.

yes the cheap price did it for me :lol: ......post some pics at your coming shoot

wow, some impressive glass you got there. Looks like you're all ready to go full frame.

yes...hopefully soon. after that ill get the highly regarded 70-200 F2.8 IS in probably in 1 to 2 years time :unsure:

about $2,200 give or take. I envy you so much Vegas... want that 24-70 so bad T-T

i love my 24-70. its now sharper after i had it calibrated at canon

see sample. this was shot wide open and out of the camera with no editing just resized and watermarked.

3574470680_2b4440b1e9.jpg

yes...hopefully soon. after that ill get the highly regarded 70-200 F2.8 IS in probably in 1 to 2 years time :unsure:

Which reminds me..I haven't shown off my baby yet. :rolleyes:

mg6139.jpg

Get the 70-200 before going full frame. With Canon's 1.6x crop factor you'll have a 112-320 mm which you'll probably preffer to use on the 450D anyway, even when owning a full frame body.

i love my 24-70. its now sharper after i had it calibrated at canon

see sample. this was shot wide open and out of the camera with no editing just resized and watermarked.

3574470680_2b4440b1e9.jpg

Yeah, she's a realy beaut, and the girl and half bad either. :p:lol:

post-19-1243556752_thumb.jpg

Not nearly as impressive as all that L glass, but I felt I needed to post up represent for all us Nikon shooters. :lol:

pretty nice you have everything from wide to telephoto and even macro.

btw, whats the equivalent of canon's L lens to nikon?

pretty nice you have everything from wide to telephoto and even macro.

btw, whats the equivalent of canon's L lens to nikon?

Thanks, I don't think there's a straight equivalent but the gold band usually denotes "pro" and then full frame lenses don't have the "DX" badge.

Notice all my lenses are "DX" <_<

i have only been reading this thread since the title is a bit intimidating... esp. for photography newbies who don't own a DSLR (and don't really want to take the plunge due to the foreseeable massive costs involved after getting the starter kit) ... :mellow: however, i appreciate the lessons and tips and the really nice pictures that have been posted so far... i have never really been into photography, but i really appreciate looking at nice photographs... here's a couple that i particularly like that were taken w/ our new "soccer mom" cam. :)

post-8437-1243736357_thumb.jpg post-8437-1243736349_thumb.jpg

while i find it easier to shoot outdoors, i have to admit that shooting indoors w/out the use of a flash is a lot harder, esp. when your place doesn't have a spot which is very well lit. :)

Edited by m0n5t3r

here's a couple that i particularly like that were taken w/ our new "soccer mom" cam. :)

Not bad. The bokeh on the yellow flower is very nice. The red seems to be a bit soft though.

If anything, these highlights how much technology can be used to bridge the experience gap...

while i find it easier to shoot outdoors, i have to admit that shooting indoors w/out the use of a flash is a lot harder, esp. when your place doesn't have a spot which is very well lit. :)

Actually, the reverse is more likely. Indoors, you can often control the lighting, simply by bringing in more lights and setting the angles right. Outdoors you are dependent a lot on the weather, which makes things a lot trickier at times.

have only been reading this thread since the thread title is a bit intimidating... esp. for photography newbies who don't own a DSLR (and don't really want to take the plunge due to the foreseeable massive costs involved after getting the starter kit) ... :mellow: however, i appreciate the lessons and tips and the really nice pictures that have been posted so far... i have never really been into photography, but i really appreciate looking at nice photographs... here's a couple that i particularly like that were taken w/ our new "soccer mom" cam. :)

they both look good. so you finally bought a camera i assume?

they both look good. so you finally bought a camera i assume?

thanks! took me a little while to figure it out.

yep. technically it's my wife's cam, i just chipped in a little so i can get to use it sometimes on my toys ^_^... unfortunately, it's not a DSLR coz we couldn't really afford to buy additional lenses coz we mainly plan to use it to photograph the kids from a good distance, like, the back row of an auditorium or from a beach shore to 20-30 ft out... but we're still having fun playing around w/ it esp. fiddling w/ all the manual settings... :) i can finally sort of understand all that talk about iso, aperture, shutter speed etc. lol :lol:.

Actually, the reverse is more likely. Indoors, you can often control the lighting, simply by bringing in more lights and setting the angles right. Outdoors you are dependent a lot on the weather, which makes things a lot trickier at times.

I find that real indoor light is a b*tch to work with, true indoor light (i.e. the lamps and light fixtures around a room) are difficult to adjust and control and rarely give you enough light. Now studio light is a whole separate can of worms all together.

Good studio lights can give you exactly the lighting you want regardless of time or weather and alow for intersting lighting that you usually can't get naturally. that is, of course, if you can figure out how to set the lights up in the first place. Setting up studio lights is a pain in the ass and takes FOR EVER!!! It's especially bad if you're working with film as it's aggravatingly easy to spend literally hours setting up lights and taking photos only to find out that you had a lamp out of place days latter when you finally get around to developing the film V_V

It's especially bad if you're working with film as it's aggravatingly easy to spend literally hours setting up lights and taking photos only to find out that you had a lamp out of place days latter when you finally get around to developing the film V_V

Heh, that's why digital is much better for these. Fairly instant feedback.

The trick, I find, is to use consistent types of lighting. Use all tube, or all bulb, all daylight or all white, but don't mix; the key consideration is consistency in colour of light. You can custom white balance a consistent shift in colour out, but if you mix in yellows and blues it becomes very hard to get the colours right.

The amount of light is much less an issue, because you have multiple technical tricks up your slevees; you can bring in more light, or you can increase the exposure, or you can open the lens up, or up the ISO. Of course it depends on your subject, shooting stationary stuff indoors is fairly trivial in terms of technicalities, while shooting concerts or presentations is a PITA.

so I turned in my photography final a couple days ago, and I just got around to trying to scan them in, unfortunately I didn't have time to scan these before I mounted them so they were scanned while attached to an 11x14 mounting board. as a result they're a little washed out and blurry.

th_IMG_0001.jpgth_IMG_0002.jpgth_IMG_0003.jpgth_IMG_0005.jpgth_IMG_0006.jpg

also while organizing these scans, I found this folder of shots from my high school photo class. Here are a couple of the nicer ones.

glow0_0.jpg

p7ringot-after2.jpg

p7ringot-flash1.jpg

P7ringot-flash2.jpg

Here's a pic of the Italian car event I got to go to yesterday.

I'll post some more in the car thread later.

mg6343.jpg

:blink: :blink:

Simply.... Wow. You said a car thread? Do we have that?? Here in MWF? Where? :huh::blink:

Manu

Here's a pic of the Italian car event I got to go to yesterday.

I'll post some more in the car thread later.

mg6343.jpg

Forgot to mention -- nice composition. I'm just thinking it would be better if you could have taken 2 or 3 steps to the left. Something about the rear car's wheel arc being visible feels right to me.

Forgot to mention -- nice composition. I'm just thinking it would be better if you could have taken 2 or 3 steps to the left. Something about the rear car's wheel arc being visible feels right to me.

Lol! I did take a pic like that but the big a$$ Dutch license plate on the Lambo screwed up the whole shot. <_<

I would've asked the owner to move it back a little, but he had blown up the engine just a half hour before I took the pic and wasn't in too good a mood.

• 2 weeks later...

I finaly decided to buy myself a new camera. I ordered it last week and it got here a couple days ago.

DSC04004.jpg

this thing is AWSOME. image quality is superb and all the features are great. I'm in love :wub:

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

Congrats on the new cam! What lens is that? Looks a lot like a EFS 17-85 but the red dot tells me it has an EF mount.

It's a EF 28-135mm IS. the 50D comes in a kit with either that or an 18-200mm, but the 28-135 is a better reviewed lens and it's a cheaper kit.

im so jealous... <_< atleast its a canon.....

hehe :D

well you've still got way better lenses, so it balances out.

• 3 weeks later...