Fifa World Cup 2006

Oihan

Moderators, I hope you don't mind this thread. If so, I apologize and do what you guys do best.

Has anyone else been following the FIFA World Cup games? The playoff games start today at 8:00am PST with Germany and Sweden playing followed by Argentina and Mexico around 11:55am PST.

I just started watching this past week and I must say I've been getting more into football than I ever have been. I've seen some pretty sh*t calls that may have cost a few teams from advancing, but the games have been fun to watch regardless. The Australia/Croatia game was really fun to watch.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Edit: Edited for grammar and correct time.

Edited by Oihan

too bad US is out  :rolleyes:

Im gonna go with portugal!

410873[/snapback]

Heh, yea. It was pretty ugly how we went out, oh well. On a side note, I'm kind of surprised football isn't as popular here in the States as it is with the rest of the world! Oh well though, I'm enjoying these games!

410873[/snapback]

Heh, yea. It was pretty ugly how we went out, oh well. On a side note, I'm kind of surprised football isn't as popular here in the States as it is with the rest of the world! Oh well though, I'm enjoying these games!

410877[/snapback]

I envy that about the US. You are lucky to live in a country that isn't obsessed with JUST ONE FREAKING sport all year.

I would enjoy seeing a good game now and then but here in Spain itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s like the world stops (the sports section in the news could just be called "soccer" because that is all they talk about). Everywhere you look they are stuffing soccer down your throat (and with the WC, even more). I just get sick.

Ho man, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Like my wife have no idea WHY I feel so happy everytime I get a new Valk.

At least she let me be and she wont spoil my happiness with comments like yours.

one of my best buddies is a from Spain... I think he is having a good time, getting together with friends and enjoying his passion, nice thing IMO.

And NO USA is NOT Lucky, they are just not good enough... hope they get better later. ; )

410873[/snapback]

410877[/snapback]

I envy that about the US. You are lucky to live in a country that isn't obsessed with JUST ONE FREAKING sport all year.

I would enjoy seeing a good game now and then but here in Spain itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s like the world stops (the sports section in the news could just be called "soccer" because that is all they talk about). Everywhere you look they are stuffing soccer down your throat (and with the WC, even more). I just get sick.

410884[/snapback]

I think that depends on where you live in the states, for example, go to Boston and you'll find what might once have been an obsession has become a religion. :rolleyes:

Socceroos!!! Socceroos!!!! Socceroos!!!! :D

And yes, my world has been upside down for the past weeks. I need sleep...but the beautiful game is like oxygen to me right now...

Frankly, I don't get this world obsession with soccer/football. It's gotta be one of the slowest sports available. At least in hockey you can hit people.

Then again, I'm not really the best judge. I'm not really interested in any sport, save for the occasional lazy Sunday when I'll watch the end of the fourth day of whatever championship they're doing on the PGA tour that day.

Frankly, I don't get this world obsession with soccer/football.  It's gotta be one of the slowest sports available.  At least in hockey you can hit people.

Then again, I'm not really the best judge.  I'm not really interested in any sport, save for the occasional lazy Sunday when I'll watch the end of the fourth day of whatever championship they're doing on the PGA tour that day.

410907[/snapback]

Soccer slow? Ever watch baseball? I'm not a major sports fan, but Soccer always seemed like a fairly fast paced game to me.

Is the passion, boy...passion!!!!

It might be illegal, but football players DO hit people...just look at the USA player whom copped the elbow from the Italian, no padding or helmet, just blood....

Also, just look at all those fake dives, the acting skill is worthy of an oscar...

Frankly, I don't get this world obsession with soccer/football.  It's gotta be one of the slowest sports available.  At least in hockey you can hit people.

410907[/snapback]

I've been following as much of the World Cup as possible, in between packing furniture and other duties prior to my move. :)

I'm loving it so far. I've caught roughly a dozen full games so far and it's been amazing. Truly a great sport.

As for criticism of soccer, I find it very watchable compared to most sports. Granted, I'm not much of a sports fan either, aside from Hockey and now Soccer. But Football (Soccer) is all play for the most part and I love that. Makes the game entertaining and watchable because there is always something happening.

I just find all the low-play sports bother me, like Baseball, American Football, Golf, et cetera. So much of the game is down time, shuffling players around and preparing setups for very brief amounts of play. It's very hard for me to feel the kinetic rush of the sport when so little is happening most of the time.

Ironically, I enjoy watching low-scoring sports because those sports consist mostly of play, like Football (Soccer) and Hockey. When a goal is made, it's an exciting event and because most of the game is play, your eye is always engaged on the ebe and flow of the match. I also like kinetic games with hard fought points, like Tennis. In some of the best matches, you're on the edge of your seat for an entire rally.

Contrastly, Basketball's over-scoring just bothers me. The games are fast and fluid to watch, but scoring baskets is so commonplace that each individual point fails to excite. We know another basket is going to occur in just a few seconds. I often become bored with Basketball, more interested in the final score than anything else; as opposed to say a furious match of Hockey or Soccer where the players are rushing and fighting so hard all game, even if only a single goal is scored all match.

Edited by Mr March

I've been following as much of the World Cup as possible, in between packing furniture and other duties prior to my move. :)

I'm loving it so far.  I've caught roughly a dozen full games so fart and it's been amazing.  Truly a great sport.

As for criticism of soccer, I find it very watchable compared to most sports.  Granted, I'm not much of a sports fan either, aside from Hockey and now Soccer.  But Football (Soccer) is all play for the most part and I love that.  Makes in entertaining and watchable because there is always something happening.

I just find all the low-play sports bother me, like Baseball, American Football, Golf, et cetera.  So much of the game is down time, shuffling players around and preparing setups for very brief amounts of play.  It's very hard for me to feel the kinetic rush of the sport when so little is happening most of the time.

Ironically, I enjoy watching low-scoring sports because those sports consist mostly of play, like Football (Soccer) and Hockey.  When a goal is made, it's an exciting event and because most of the game is play, your eye is always engaged on the ebe and flow of the match.  I also like kinetic games with hard fought points, like Tennis.  In some of the best matches, you're on the edge of your seat for an entire rally.

Contrastly, Basketball's over-scoring just bothers me.  The games are fast and fluid to watch, but scoring baskets is so commonplace that each individual point fails to excite.  We know another basket is going to occur in just a few seconds.  I often become bored with Basketball, more interested in the final score than anything else; as opposed to say a furious match of Hockey or Soccer where the players are rushing and fighting so hard all game, even if only a single goal is scored all match.

410918[/snapback]

I'm on the same page as you are, I'm not a big fan of basketball either. However, I do enjoy watching American football, hockey, and now football. It's the big plays that I like in the NFL....hell I like everything about the NFL. :p Hockey is always fun to watch...! This is the first time I've gotten into soccer. As you stated, it's pretty much non-stop 'action.'

As for the teams I'm rooting for.... I have three citizenships, one in the USA, one in Spain, and one in Australia. So I'm rooting for Spain and Australia right now as well as Ukraine. (I'm half Ukranian) Who are you all rooting for?

I live in the UK, which I think makes me contractually obliged to like football (and it is football, not this "soccer" malarkey! :p ), but I've never really been a big sports fan. My family, however are quite nuts about it.

Theres currently some spoof ads on UK TV at the moment from Budweiser, spoofing the American approach to sport and imagining what might happen if US-style sponsorship came to the UK. Moving Arsenal to Yorkshire just because theres already too many teams in London is just one of the ads jokes (although a slightly obscure comedy show called The Mary Whitehouse Experience did much the same thing a few years ago, only somewhat more bitingly... )

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I live in the UK, which I think makes me contractually obliged to like football (and it is football, not this "soccer" malarkey!  :p ), but I've never really been a big sports fan. My family, however are quite nuts about it.

Theres currently some spoof ads on UK TV at the moment from Budweiser, spoofing the American approach to sport and imagining what might happen if US-style sponsorship came to the UK. Moving Arsenal to Yorkshire just because theres already too many teams in London is just one of the ads jokes (although a slightly obscure comedy show called The Mary Whitehouse Experience did much the same thing a few years ago, only somewhat more bitingly... )

410934[/snapback]

They should have a segment where the American Network makes the ball glow blue so that American fans can tell where it actually is, and adding a red streak to it when it's shot.

(true story, it has been done before to hockey and soccer)

Brazil all the way!

Did you watch the last game? We did put a big "Return to Sender" sticker on Japan :p

410937[/snapback]

Haha, I hope to see Ghana win against Brazil. :p Would be nice to see them advance even further.

Brazil all the way!

Did you watch the last game? We did put a big "Return to Sender" sticker on Japan :p

410937[/snapback]

That was more like, "We let you score??? Uh oh! Just kidding." Brazil didn't really need to win that match, but you know, they can't look bad. :lol:

Soccer slow? Ever watch baseball?

No. Remember, I think soccer is boring, but I really can't stand to watch any sport for long. Hell, my local football team is Pittsburgh, and I couldn't even sit through this past Super Bowl. The only reason why I'll watch the end of a PGA tour event is because I'm usually impressed at how well they hit the ball.

Brazil all the way!

410937[/snapback]

Haha, I hope to see Ghana win against Brazil. :p Would be nice to see them advance even further.

410940[/snapback]

hail to the underdogs! Ghana, Australia, Ecuador! heheh..

I hope Portugal & Les Blues make it to the 3rd round!

As for the teams I'm rooting for....  I have three citizenships, one in the USA, one in Spain, and one in Australia.  So I'm rooting for Spain and Australia right now as well as Ukraine.  (I'm half Ukranian)  Who are you all rooting for?

410932[/snapback]

It's hard to pick a team. Since Canada never makes it to the world cup, I'm unsure who to cheer for. You just gave me some food for thought, since I am partly Ukranian myself (though I'm the product of an adopted parent, so half my lineage is unknown). So far, Croatia, Germany, and Portugal have really impressed me and naturally the World-Class teams like France, Brazil, England, et all play very well. I gotta say I'm kinda looking forward to more Germany games. I like their style of play.

My two friends are cheering for England (he's from Manchester) and Brazil (although he's not from Brazil, he's Salvadorian) :)

I live in the UK, which I think makes me contractually obliged to like football (and it is football, not this "soccer" malarkey!  :p )

410934[/snapback]

Oh yes, I have been schooled by my two friends in that regard. I suppose it also helps that the entrie world calls it football except the North America. Being Canadian, I did call it soccer just to differentiate from American Football. But I'm feeling much better now :)

I live in the UK, which I think makes me contractually obliged to like football (and it is football, not this "soccer" malarkey!  :p )

410934[/snapback]

Oh yes, I have been schooled by my two friends in that regard. I suppose it also helps that the entrie world calls it football except the North America. Being Canadian, I did call it soccer just to differentiate from American Football. But I'm feeling much better now :)

410959[/snapback]

I'm suddenly reminded of Pulp Fiction...

"You know what they call football in the US?" :)

Just don't ever ask me to explain the concept of off-side, 'cos I can't!

As to England playing well at the moment... er, theres a bit of a difference of opinion in the homeland at present... ;)

BRAZIL FTW!!!! I hope they don't take player damage beating Ghana. And I hope France gets owned by Spain. Yeah yeah I live in France right now, but I hate the French team, most of them aren't even really French. :p

I hope Australia manages to do well against Italy. There's some talk that with their troubles at home and their possible fear of our coach (who managed S.Korea which beat them in 2002), they'll be somewhat preoccupied and will lessen their skill and international experience advantages.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

As to England playing well at the moment... er, theres a bit of a difference of opinion in the homeland at present...  ;)

410966[/snapback]

Granted they aren't in championship form, which no doubt all of Britain demands. Still, they are definitely one of the better teams in my admittedly limited experience. They get far more shots on goal than most of the teams they play and they have had some of the best goals of the dozen or so games I've seen. I see potential, but they have to tighten their game if they're going to be serious contenders.

Hope England will go back early this time around....Germany, Portugal and Les blues can share the cup if they want to... :)

yep, French is a mixing bowl of players...even Zizou is from Algeria. I actually rooted for France mainly because most of the player (form last world cup) are Arsenal's. This year...hmm....even Viera is not on Arsenal's side....so...Portugal will win the world cup! :lol::lol:

aaajin

Man I just saw on cnn the fighting going on between English and German fans. Yikes. Can't believe people get so worked up over watching a sport that they'd turn stupid and attack people. :p

Oh well it was two big mobs, and people turn retarded in groups.

being an Aussie it's really interesting to watch the cultural revolution with soccer in this country right now. Aussies love their football (rugby leage, rugby union and AFL) so Soccer always got left behind. Add to the fact we've never been very good. In my lifetime (30 years) soccer has never been very popular in the mainstream. I played for several years as a kid and it wasn't something you went telling everyone! So now with the whole country going apesh*t for soccer it's something I've never seen before.

410884[/snapback]

Sure, I know where you're coming from. We have the same phenomenon here in the US. For instance, if you're a fan of racing, it's just called NASCAR. :p

I hate to admit it, but we [uS team] do kinda suck. Actually, that's putting it too harshly. It was one of those "inevitable" outcomes--kinda like you know we'd go out sooner or later; but still, I wish we could have gone farther in the tourny. We just have a long ways to go, when it comes to our level of play in the Int'l "football" scene. But there's definitely a difference that one can see in the level & style of play between the US, and say, Brazil. Watching the Brazilians does give a good example of exemplary play--those guys seem to have a "sixth sense," it's like they can dribble without even looking down at their feet; instead, they're scanning downfield, or the defender, etc. It's like: the truly good teams can do with their feet what NBA players can do with their hands; they're so good it seems effortless. There also seems to be a level of cohesion between players, reading & playing off of each other, setting up plays 2 to 3 moves ahead; as opposed to the US still playing a bit more individually.

I saw part of the Australia/Germany match, and the Aussies truly ought to be commended for their play. They held their own against one of the true "powerhouse" teams until the closing minutes of the match, when Germany finally scored their 2 in quick succession. Until then, the Aussies were giving them what-for.