5 minutes ago, Hiriyu said:

Gundam newb here. I recently watched 'War in the pocket' and found it enjoyable. I'm looking for more to watch, but could use some recommendations. I'm probably not going to be inclined to go through the whole series chronologically, but if there are any series that you feel that especially stand out please let me know :)

If you are referring to Movie/OVA's, i like;

1/ Chars Counter Attack (CCA) - got me hooked on gundam back in the day..
2/ 0083 Stardust memory 
3/ The 08th MS team
/4 F91

And lastly, Gundam Unicorn and Gundam Thunderbolt, just to experience the incredible leap in animation standards since the above...
Havent watched Gundam: The Origin in entirety but check it out as well. 

Its just a personal list and is not listed in favorite order...check out the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam for more...

p.s. the latest gundam IBO series is recommended as well in episodic form..

Seti's list is a pretty good recommendation, I'd say watch 08th MS team (12 episodes) and Thunderbolt (1 hour movie) first since they take place during the same war that War in the Pocket did. That way you aren't confused by jumping too far into the future, F91 takes place 30+ years after the one year war.

IBO is a good watch as well, you could get in just as the series is wrapping up.

18 hours ago, Hiriyu said:

Gundam newb here. I recently watched 'War in the pocket' and found it enjoyable. I'm looking for more to watch, but could use some recommendations. I'm probably not going to be inclined to go through the whole series chronologically, but if there are any series that you feel that especially stand out please let me know :)

I'd definitely have a crack at watching Zeta Gundam from the UC chronology and Turn A Gundam from the other.

ANN had a pretty good breakdown that you maybe find useful.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Archer said:

Absolutely loving the direction IBO is taking. It's rare to see a series where the "protagonist" may be seen as the "bad guy" (depending on your interpretation of the morally grey conflict between McGillis and Vidar/Gaelio). 

Indeed. And Tekkadan might not always make the decision that is morally correct in this scenario.

12 minutes ago, Kelsain said:

Seems like season 2 has just been about  Tekkadan's youthful naivety & how it's going to get them (& their friends) all killed.

I forget where (coulda been here) but I recall reading that IBO is more akin to a crime drama than a war story. Downtrodden people work themselves up from nothing doing the dirtiest jobs to become the heads of the most powerful family/organization in the area only to make a few mistakes and lose it all in the end. Looks to me like we are on course for the big fall. I'm not sure all of them are going to die but a good majority probably won't make it back to the corn fields alive.

I just heard that Hulu will be hosting several Gundam titles starting Monday. We'll be getting 8th MS Team, Wing, 00, Seed remastered and Origins. No word I think on language choice, but that's still really great! That's now 7 titles that are available....the times, they are a changin!

On 02/02/2017 at 2:28 AM, Hiriyu said:

Hi... welcome to "Gundam". YOU WILL SEE THE TEARS OF TIME!

Ahem.

The original and very first series, from the late 70s, looks rather "Disco" now and might require some adjustment if you're used to more modern anime, but its still a good place to start and if you can stick with it until about half-way, when Tomino (Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator of "Gundam") steps up a gear concept-wise, it will help you understand many of the recurring themes and ideas that crop up in later series.

Once you're got a few more "Gundam" series under your belt, try "Turn-A Gundam" - its very different, but well worth the effort. It can be enjoyed as a standalone SF series in its own right, but it helps to have seen a few other "Gundams" first to pick up some of the references made and enhance your enjoyment of the show. 

• 2 weeks later...

The most recent episode of IBO...

Don't want to spoil it, but wow, what a ride. 

Spoiler

The thing that really irks me is how little we saw the Flauros used before its demise. We see it transform once at its original reveal, and then we get a space battle in the middle where it doesn't really do much. Now, in its final moment of glory, it doesn't even really accomplish anything and is destroyed. 

Even the Gusion got more love on-screen. Just a little upset, since Flauros was my favorite design of this season. 

On 27/02/2017 at 3:41 AM, Kelsain said:

Hide contents

Aargh, Julieta's the worst! She rates up there with Quess Paraya, afaic.

I get the feeling that the writer really wants to bring us to unheard levels of frustration. That

Iok still lives after all the crap he's pulled and an underpowered Julieta can keep on thwarting Barbatos

is nothing short of a provocation.

19 hours ago, Kelsain said:

I remember thinking in season 1 that things seemed to go too well for Tekkadan. Well, nowadays it's really been feeling like Gundam again...

You bloodthirsty bastard! :DBet you want it to go all Victory Gundam

Wow the character development in IBO is really top notch. Fantastic closing to the prior episode.

3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Let's see if Tekkadan turns against McGillis before the series ends.

Barbatos vs. Bael.

Would love to see that as well!

So about the new IBO episode....

Spoiler

I'm getting a bad feeling about Julieta and the AV system, I think somehow they are gonna justify chopping out her brain and stuffing her in an AV system like Ein. Even worse yet, Iok hasn't done anything too annoying for a few episodes so Julieta will be installed in his new MS so she can "protect" him like he always thinks she has up to this point. I hope I'm wrong but it feels like they have been setting this up all of season 2.

29 minutes ago, dizman said:

So about the new IBO episode....

Hide contents

I'm getting a bad feeling about Julieta and the AV system, I think somehow they are gonna justify chopping out her brain and stuffing her in an AV system like Ein. Even worse yet, Iok hasn't done anything too annoying for a few episodes so Julieta will be installed in his new MS so she can "protect" him like he always thinks she has up to this point. I hope I'm wrong but it feels like they have been setting this up all of season 2.

Not a bad theory, but if that is the case, I might

drop IBO (as much as I like it at some level). Iok and Julieta have developed some kind of plot armor that is getting boring too watch. If at least they talked less, it wouldn't be so bad. But they keep talking, and talking, and talking, and talking every time they are on screen. Shut up already! They are reaching Quess Paraya levels of irritating

That's not the impression I got:

it seemed to me that Julieta briefly flirted with the idea, much to Gaelio's concern. However, she then stated that she would do her best to be as strong as Mika, without augmentation. That's when Gaelio's frown turned to a smile. He's formed a bond with her like Ein, without the sexual tension. Seems like he doesn't want to see her go down the same path.

Honeslty though, why has Mika sucked since the Mobile Armor? He's had 3-4 episodes of duel time with Julieta & he keeps dropping the ball...

Edited by Kelsain

nah, Julieta just like Iok have developed a very thick plot armor.  On the episode when Shino died, they should have at least added another factor to hold on Mika, but the writers deemed that Julieta is enough to even hold Mika and disrupt Flauros at the same time (which was hidden with an element of surprise)

and choco guy going to war without even healing his palm.

20 hours ago, General Rasp said:
  Hide contents

What did Julieta throw at Shino? When I watch the episode it looked like right arm but then in recent episode she still has it. 

Did I miss something?

It was definitely the mobile suit arm, which got pile-driver'd off by Mika. I think it was the left arm, which is why you may have overlooked it.

Edited by Archer

I've enjoyed IBO as much as anyone, but the last 5 or 6 episodes have pissed me off.

The reluctance of the director/writer to let Rustal/Iok and Julietta to come to any harm and have to watch them humilliate Tekkadan again, and again is becoming hard to stomach. Specially since I know that maybe they will get their comeuppance at the end, but if Tekkadan is decimated too, then there's little or no sweetness in it

You can do it, we are almost to the end! 

Spoiler

They sidelined Iok to save him for the last battle but I get where you are coming from with Julietta. Getting away with near death when Mika should have gone out of his way to kill her was pretty dumb. As mean as the ending will probably get, at least we know Atra will survive...... right?

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

I've enjoyed IBO as much as anyone, but the last 5 or 6 episodes have pissed me off.

Reveal hidden contents

The reluctance of the director/writer to let Rustal/Iok and Julietta to come to any harm and have to watch them humilliate Tekkadan again, and again is becoming hard to stomach. Specially since I know that maybe they will get their comeuppance at the end, but if Tekkadan is decimated too, then there's little or no sweetness in it

Ouch. IBO was hit by MDS? :ph34r:

Macross Delta Syndrome. :rolleyes:

So we have three episodes left and they have a ton of stuff to wrap up. I am almost expecting a three season from this series. Tekkadan have to survive/escape the Gjallarhorn fleet, most likely with Mika crushing most of the mobile suits and trashing the Barbatos. I think McGillis is going to turn on the Tekkadan in some way and Gaelio has unfinished business with him.

Even if Tekkadan/McGillis survives this initial wave on Mars they have to deal with Rustal and Julia. Not sure how they are going to give the series a satisfying conclusion in three episodes. 

33 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

So we have three episodes left and they have a ton of stuff to wrap up. I am almost expecting a three season from this series. Tekkadan have to survive/escape the Gjallarhorn fleet, most likely with Mika crushing most of the mobile suits and trashing the Barbatos. I think McGillis is going to turn on the Tekkadan in some way and Gaelio has unfinished business with him.

Even if Tekkadan/McGillis survives this initial wave on Mars they have to deal with Rustal and Julia. Not sure how they are going to give the series a satisfying conclusion in three episodes. 

I think they'll use convenient plot device (mobile armors) to quickly thin Rustal's forces. 

12 hours ago, Archer said:

I think they'll use convenient plot device (mobile armors) to quickly thin Rustal's forces. 

I was also thinking the same but with Dainslef at their disposal, I dont think Mobile Armor poses a threat to them so maybe they will introduce more  war relics that only Gundam can take down.

Edited by chyll2