Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/18/2018 at 11:41 AM, dizman said:

Here's some Obari goodness for everyone, the mans got good taste.

 

 

Apparently they have far more mechs to choose from than I thought from the wiki. So much good stuff in that video. Still I hope Iczer-Robo and Dangaio are near the top of the list.

 

On 4/23/2018 at 10:08 PM, VF-Zer0S said:

True Dat! 

The Studio Halfeye is a grail and so expensive!

 

On 4/24/2018 at 5:38 AM, dragonstar1982 said:

I would love to have the studio halfeye version but their is no way I could drop the 3k on it.

 

I don't like what I saw of that Studio Halfeye version. I posted in the Dangaio topic some reviews. Way too expensive and small.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2018 at 4:52 PM, dragonstar1982 said:

After Dancouga, Baikanfu,  and now Gravion, there is no reason at all why they can't make a Dangaio figure since obari has done artwork for that mech as well

I would love to see this but shutter at the price as Sentinel's stuff seems to be rising just for the hell of it.

Speaking of Studio Halfeye... I know it's a YMMV thing but TBH I have Dancougar Nova and Goddanner and for the price they're very small, resin, fiddly pieces that really don't justify the prices. They also aren't "perfect transformation" with things being unscrewed, partsformed, etc. etc.. Awesome engineering but there's a lot to be desired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

They also aren't "perfect transformation" with things being unscrewed, partsformed, etc. etc.. Awesome engineering but there's a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, they DID do the "perfect transformation" Getter Robo. All three robots and the individual jets in a single toy, with apparently no part-swapping.

While it was completely insane, it is an insanity I have to respect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JB0 said:

On the other hand, they DID do the "perfect transformation" Getter Robo. All three robots and the individual jets in a single toy, with apparently no part-swapping.

While it was completely insane, it is an insanity I have to respect.

I think it's a 50/50 because there is quite a bit given up aesthetically there to achieve it as well. I'm with you though on respecting even the stuff that isn't perfect transformation. I think that they really are doing some things That just plain wouldn't get done if they didn't exist. It's just a hard pill to swallow as a consumer (unless you're just that "ballin'") when you look at the opportunity costs involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

I think it's a 50/50 because there is quite a bit given up aesthetically there to achieve it as well. I'm with you though on respecting even the stuff that isn't perfect transformation.

Oh, definitely. But before they did it, I would've said it was impossible.

Now I can just say it is impossible to look nice doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, close313 said:

are there any changes compared to the original gx god sigma ?

The english version of their site states that " A new wing on the right side is new. " I just wanted to highlight that, because it made me smile.

 

In seriousness, my babelfish-to-english skills(combined with comparing to pics of the original) tell me that

1: they redesigned the wing for a better "sword draw" effect. It presents the appearance that the sword is actually sheathed inside the wing instead of just hooked to the back of it.   I'm pretty sure they attach a bladeless hilt to the end of the wing for that feature, but it is a key pose, so... parts used exclusively to recreate the pose are understandable.

2: They remolded the head to suck less. Or as the babelfished translation puts it, "The face parts became a new model, more goggles were emphasized, and the three-dimensional feeling increased. "

3: New optional toy-accurate "sigma" belt buckle to swap with the original anime-accurate "jailbars" one.

4: New axe and frisbee weapons.

5: They redesigned the combined chest plate.

5b: The little crystal in the torso bot's chest apparently extends out into the combiner chestplate instead of being duplicated by the chestplate part. A cute touch, albeit pointless.

 

Unchanged, based on the fact that the promo pics aren't highlighting it to the heavens: He still only has about five degrees of knee motion.

 

 

In conclusion, New wing is new and more goggles were emphasized.

To me, it looks like existing owners shouldn't upgrade unless they just HATE the current head. But new purchasers shouldn't be considering the original.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

They need to quit messing around and drop a Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann lol

Last year was the 10th anniversary of Gurren Lagann. I was certain that we see a SoC of him by then. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JB0 said:

The english version of their site states that " A new wing on the right side is new. " I just wanted to highlight that, because it made me smile.

 

In seriousness, my babelfish-to-english skills(combined with comparing to pics of the original) tell me that

1: they redesigned the wing for a better "sword draw" effect. It presents the appearance that the sword is actually sheathed inside the wing instead of just hooked to the back of it.   I'm pretty sure they attach a bladeless hilt to the end of the wing for that feature, but it is a key pose, so... parts used exclusively to recreate the pose are understandable.

2: They remolded the head to suck less. Or as the babelfished translation puts it, "The face parts became a new model, more goggles were emphasized, and the three-dimensional feeling increased. "

3: New optional toy-accurate "sigma" belt buckle to swap with the original anime-accurate "jailbars" one.

4: New axe and frisbee weapons.

5: They redesigned the combined chest plate.

5b: The little crystal in the torso bot's chest apparently extends out into the combiner chestplate instead of being duplicated by the chestplate part. A cute touch, albeit pointless.

 

Unchanged, based on the fact that the promo pics aren't highlighting it to the heavens: He still only has about five degrees of knee motion.

 

 

In conclusion, New wing is new and more goggles were emphasized.

To me, it looks like existing owners shouldn't upgrade unless they just HATE the current head. But new purchasers shouldn't be considering the original.

Thanks a bunch for the interpretation. Now the chest doesnt look like a bicycle rear reflector anymore (which also had a charm)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

And making things that the majority of the fandom won't buy is for businesses that don't like staying in businesses. As an actual collector of this stuff I'd kiiiinda' like Bandai to stay in the robbit-makin' business for a while longer.
 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, re: Lightan

This one really, REALLY took me by surprised. It's legitimately one of my favorite SOCs and really has a special feel/vibe to it. For an older piece, it's surprisingly well-engineered and articulated, too. It's just... neat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But imagine an SoC Dancouga you could LIVE IN!

...

Actually, now that I think of it, why wasn't the 1:1 Gundam branded as a Soul of Chogokin?

Edited by JB0
Link to post
Share on other sites

Short video explaining (in corporate speech) how Tamashii Nations toys are manufactured:

 

I thought this might be the best place for the video since I haven't found a general toy thread on the boards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scyla said:

Short video explaining (in corporate speech) how Tamashii Nations toys are manufactured:

 

I thought this might be the best place for the video since I haven't found a general toy thread on the boards.

Probably the Figuarts thread since that's what they're producing in it. Still a really neat video regardless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...