Who is buying DOOM 3?

ogami

I think this requires more explaination. :D

As of now, I don't see how HL2 is any more realistic.

Though I am a fan of the open areas.

Well, in terms of the context--weaponry--nearly all of HL2's weapons exist, or at least look real. Doom 3's machine gun does not look like a modern machine gun--HL2's equivalent, likely an assault rifle, will probably be an AK-47 or M16A2, both of which are fairly real, I'd say.

I don't really want that much realism...but keep things within "belivable" bounds. The shotty is pretty useless anymore than 4-5 feet which is pretty silly. But in any case yeah, I'm looking forward to HL2 for more intuitive play.

It's silly if you want a general-purpose weapon... Doom 3's shotgun, as a gameplay implement, works just fine. The shotgun is immensely powerful, but balanced out by its extremely short range. This is like the flashlight issue--there are no gun-mounted flashlights because id wanted to emphasize atmosphere, not realism.

I don't really want that much realism...but keep things within "belivable" bounds. The shotty is pretty useless anymore than 4-5 feet which is pretty silly. But in any case yeah, I'm looking forward to HL2 for more intuitive play.

It's silly if you want a general-purpose weapon... Doom 3's shotgun, as a gameplay implement, works just fine. The shotgun is immensely powerful, but balanced out by its extremely short range. This is like the flashlight issue--there are no gun-mounted flashlights because id wanted to emphasize atmosphere, not realism.

I see where you're getting at.....noted. We'll leave it as that. ;)

his is like the flashlight issue--there are no gun-mounted flashlights because id wanted to emphasize atmosphere, not realism.

I think I'm one of the minority that actually loves the gameplay mechanics of the flashlight. I'd never use that mod that 'tapes' the flashlight to your gun, because of what that takes away from the game. I hate to sound like a McDonald's commercial but I'm loving it.

his is like the flashlight issue--there are no gun-mounted flashlights because id wanted to emphasize atmosphere, not realism.

I think I'm one of the minority that actually loves the gameplay mechanics of the flashlight. I'd never use that mod that 'tapes' the flashlight to your gun, because of what that takes away from the game. I hate to sound like a McDonald's commercial but I'm loving it.

I used that mod... then promptly ripped it out after ten minutes of use.... for one, the friggin thing kept flickering and cutting in and out... made for even more annoying lighting situations than switching.

Besides, there's always the old skool method: fire off a blast from the shotgun, gives off just enough light to see by in dire situations... at least I used to do that in the original Doom.

Agreed. I think a poster on Bluesnews said it best:

I'm sure by the time we have manned colonies on Mars, we'll have moved way beyond duct tape. Presumably, combat troops will have advanced light amplification goggles, and carry miniature diffused light sources. This will allow them to see in virtually any environment as if were broad daylight.

Of course, that'll make combat against demonic creatures from hell a lot less fun, so combat troops will toss the advanced items away and make do with a simple flashlight.

Agreed. I think a poster on Bluesnews said it best:

I'm sure by the time we have manned colonies on Mars, we'll have moved way beyond duct tape. Presumably, combat troops will have advanced light amplification goggles, and carry miniature diffused light sources. This will allow them to see in virtually any environment as if were broad daylight.

Of course, that'll make combat against demonic creatures from hell a lot less fun, so combat troops will toss the advanced items away and make do with a simple flashlight.

Yeah. Plus people would get all upset if they made up some crappy excuse like "we left the nv goggles on earth...oops"

I dunno, I just didn't ask questions. Meh... its part of the game... if you don't like the flashlight, you're really selling yourself short. I mean... aside from the flashlight(part of the atmosphere) and assorted control additions like jump, mlook, and dash... its pretty much same old Doom. I like the flashlight... in fact I wish the game were darker so I could use it more while I frantically dash around lining up a Shotty Supper. :)

nope, I totally agree with you, this game is atmosphere and visual eye candy.. it has nothing to do with realism.. if you want realism go play rainbow six or any of the other realistic shooters and leave us to our merry demon slaying.

Hey all!! Just lurkin' this thread to see if I should leech the savings for this or wait til the price goes down and/or I get a better PC. My current PC *might* handle it, but only the recommended specs. I've been reading from reviews here and there that the baddies don't flinch when hit, like it Dooms 1/2/Final/Ultimate. Is this true? And in the 'timeline' is considered a reworked Doom 1 or a Doom 1.5?

Doom 3 still having the Pinkies just makes me smile, with all 32 sharp teeth showing. *growls like a Pinky*

PS: Sad but true, I can imitate the Doom 1/2 Pinky deathsnarl to perfection. LMAO

I don't know about that... most of the baddies I shoot tend to either explode into an anatomy/phys class or go flying backwards from the hits. I noticed that if you peg a zombie in the head they recoil from the hit but pretty much shrug it off and still come after you. But if you hit them enough they recoil and then go flying. They sort of "ragdoll" on you if you get enough lift on the hit. The bigger enemies however seem to have more of a prescripted "slump over dead" animations.

Wow, hey, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my love for DOOM3's flashlight.

I prefer AVP's shoulder lamp. But don't really mind the use of DOOM 3's flash light. Only thing that bugs me about it is not the switching, but the way the light is rendered. Its ironic that the whole game is using dynamic lighting and uber 3d rendering mumbo jumbo but the flashlight looks like a pre-rendered gamma enhancer. Like wherever the flash light points, the gamma in the area is increased. I don't know....does anyone feel the flash light effect could've been rendered better?

Game is cool. I literally had to punch myself to get off of the computer this morning at 3:30 because I had to work. And while I find that the game is not terribly frightening, I jumped at a few scenes, especially that bathroom mirror one because you do not expect that.

There were some issues getting it to work right when I first uploaded it onto my computer. Getting new drivers for DirectX and from Nvidia has seemed to fix that problem, even with my sucky P4 1.8Ghz processor and crappy GeForce FX card. I can play it at high detail in 1600 x 1200 resolution with no snags at all. Also, I am not having an issue with the sound of the gunfire or anything at all. The new soundcard I got along with those 200W 5.1 THX surround sound speakers really adds a sense of being in the damn game.

All in all, it rocks. I love this game. I hope they make another and keep the series going.

JsARC, thanks for the reply.

It somewhat brings me to my next question. In the previous games, I use the flinching to prevent the baddies from attack (i.e. using the chaingun on cacodemon to keep it from belching fireballs). Does that tactic still apply in Doom 3? Try hitting center-mass and see if they still attack while being ventilated. I ask because I'd like to know what old-skool Doom tactics can still apply. Circle-strafe, strafing around corners, etc... Y'know, the tried-n-true tactics that Doom helped soldify in the FPS genre.

Well, finished it. Thank god! My girlfriend was about to disown me after 4-5 nights in a row. . .

Honestly, by the end, I felt like it was a good movie that had just gone on too long and now. . . I just wanna know what happens. When I saw that I probably had three more levels to go. . . bleh.

But, it's over. I'm glad I played it. It definitely had a good story and it was fun to figure out just exactly what was going on up there on Mars. :)

BTW, I never had any freaky bathroom mirror experience (except for every morning when I wake up. . . bu-dum-dum). Can someone tell me what level and area this takes place in?

Thanks,

H

Game is cool. I literally had to punch myself to get off of the computer this morning at 3:30 because I had to work. And while I find that the game is not terribly frightening, I jumped at a few scenes, especially that bathroom mirror one because you do not expect that.

There were some issues getting it to work right when I first uploaded it onto my computer. Getting new drivers for DirectX and from Nvidia has seemed to fix that problem, even with my sucky P4 1.8Ghz processor and crappy GeForce FX card. I can play it at high detail in 1600 x 1200 resolution with no snags at all. Also, I am not having an issue with the sound of the gunfire or anything at all. The new soundcard I got along with those 200W 5.1 THX surround sound speakers really adds a sense of being in the damn game.

All in all, it rocks. I love this game. I hope they make another and keep the series going.

hmmm.. if your sucky geforce FX card is letting you play at 1600x1200 at a good clip you must have a monster of a card and it is definitely not sucky.

and sorry to say, but the sound in doom 3 is handled by your cpu... your new soundcard really isn't doing too much for you.

hmmm.. if your sucky geforce FX card is letting you play at 1600x1200 at a good clip you must have a monster of a card and it is definitely not sucky.

and sorry to say, but the sound in doom 3 is handled by your cpu... your new soundcard really isn't doing too much for you.

I'm not certain how true that is. My soundcard was giving me some static on three of my speakers in THX mode, up unitl I updated the soundcard drivers.

BTW, I never had any freaky bathroom mirror experience (except for every morning when I wake up. . . bu-dum-dum). Can someone tell me what level and area this takes place in?

Early on in the game, when you return to Mars City, go to the bathroom near the entrance. Walk right up to the center of the mirror and look straight in it.

I'm not certain how true that is. My soundcard was giving me some static on three of my speakers in THX mode, up unitl I updated the soundcard drivers.

the sound rendering is done on CPU is all, a lot of games will use the sound card's DSP to do that stuff but id moved it to the CPU for various reasons.

Yeah, I got a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra a while back from a friend of mine who didn't like it. Since it was better than the old GeForce 200 Ti (?) I had, I didn't give him any crap. It was free. However, I had problems running the game in medium detail at the minumum resolution without everything slowing down. The drivers really helped out quite a friggin lot.

Didn't know about the other thing, but the game sounds pretty awesome anyways. I know there were issues with others saying the gunfire sounded canned, but I compensated for that with a little tweaking. :)

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I got a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra a while back from a friend of mine who didn't like it.

I've been considering picking up that same kinda card. As far as midrange cards go, it tops the benchmarks on DOOM3, though I may even be able to swing a 5900 while still around $200.

It sounds like you were having more problems than I am with a Geforce 3.

the sound rendering is done on CPU is all, a lot of games will use the sound card's DSP to do that stuff but id moved it to the CPU for various reasons.

id doesn't like EAX, so they went with their own 3D sound system. Two benefits: one, it's tweaked perfectly for Doom 3. Anyone with a 5.1 speaker system will tell you that you practically NEED one. Two, since Doom 3 is also being ported to the Mac, Linux, and Xbox, you run into the issue of hardware compatibility.

With that said, the sound engine doesn't really suck up any precious CPU space--the game runs perfectly on any reasonable rig.

the sound rendering is done on CPU is all,  a lot of games will use the sound card's DSP to do that stuff but id moved it to the CPU for various reasons.

id doesn't like EAX, so they went with their own 3D sound system. Two benefits: one, it's tweaked perfectly for Doom 3. Anyone with a 5.1 speaker system will tell you that you practically NEED one. Two, since Doom 3 is also being ported to the Mac, Linux, and Xbox, you run into the issue of hardware compatibility.

With that said, the sound engine doesn't really suck up any precious CPU space--the game runs perfectly on any reasonable rig.

yup yup... this is a sweet engine...

Unfortunately, id still used techniques that were patented by Creative. Creative came after them for licensing fees. . . but I think they worked something out so that id promoted Creative sound cards for Doom3 and didn't have to give them any cash.

Linkage.

H

Problems with the 5700 Ultra? Well, earlier I had been running in Medium quality and at a low resoloution; I didn't notice anything until I put the game into High Quality mode and a higher resoloution. Even then, the only glitches I get is when I open a door/hatchway. Other than that, the game still runs smoothly for me.

-Who here is with me when I say that the chainsaw is the best weapon in the game?

-Is there anyone else who's having trouble maintaining their sanity in dark rooms?

Unfortunately, id still used techniques that were patented by Creative.  Creative came after them for licensing fees. . . but I think they worked something out so that id promoted Creative sound cards for Doom3 and didn't have to give them any cash.

Linkage.

H

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

What you'll notice is that EAX is NOT in Doom 3. The deal was to implement EAX in the Doom 3 engine at a later date. Games which will license the Doom 3 engine will have EAX implemented. Doom 3 does not.

Difference.

Edited by Terpfen

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

What you'll notice is that EAX is NOT in Doom 3. The deal was to implement EAX in the Doom 3 engine at a later date. Games which will license the Doom 3 engine will have EAX implemented. Doom 3 does not.

Difference.

Uh. . . okay. I'm sensing a "tone" here. I wasn't saying that Doom3 supported EAX. Was just sharing with everyone some info that I found interesting and that was related to Doom3, sound, Creative, EAX, and some questionable behavior on the part of Creative.

Or, to put it another way: I wasn't saying there wasn't a "difference."

Best Regards,

H

I don't know if any of you guys played Neil Manke's "They Hunger" mods for Halflife, but Doom 3 is giving me the same heeby-jeebies. As far as horror experiences goes this is right up there at the top of the list in my book. I love the atmosphere and the darkness of the game, there have been several times so far where I have just had to hit the escape key and take a break from the game for an hour or so I was so deeply engrossed in the game and freaked out.

Heart Pounding fun, :)

I don't know how anyone could not like this game unless they hate being frightend.

I hear that this game is excellent, even with my crappy setup.

I am running this game fine in Medium Graphics mode, at a 1024x768 setting using a GForce 4 4600 Ti. Obviously you do see some imperfections but it runs well enough for me. I was gonna upgrade for this game, but this time I'll pass.

Rob :ph34r:

I don't know if any of you guys played Neil Manke's "They Hunger" mods for Halflife, but Doom 3 is giving me the same heeby-jeebies. As far as horror experiences goes this is right up there at the top of the list in my book. I love the atmosphere and the darkness of the game, there have been several times so far where I have just had to hit the escape key and take a break from the game for an hour or so I was so deeply engrossed in the game and freaked out.

Heart Pounding fun, :)

I don't know how anyone could not like this game unless they hate being frightend.

I had to take breaks every now and then... every moment of the game just forces you to focus... complete and undivided attention on what's happening around you. The fact that your weapons aren't overpowered also help somewhat, lol...

I just really wish they could introduce new monsters earlier... I'm getting tired of blasting away at imps... whatever happened to hoards of hell knights?!?! Then again, seeing how imps are like, maybe I don't want to see what the hell knights turned out as...

Ok the flying Baby/Bee/Wasp baddies were pretty freaky. The spiders got me as well, but other then that I am not seeing anything really way out there. Where are the Archviles though? According to what I have read they are out there. Did I already come across em or is it later in the game.

Rob :ph34r: