how many of you buy doubles of your toys?

68 members have voted

1. 1. how many of you buy doubles of your toys?

• Just 1, only crazy nuts buy more than 1.
    • Normally I buy just 1, but I buy duplicates of the good stuff.
    • I buy doubles of everything!
    • Doubles? Hell I buy 3 of everything!
    • 3 of everything is for lightweights. 4+ of everything!

For non-Macross toys, I usually only buy 1, unless it's something that I really like and then I'll buy 2. However, these days I very rarely buy anything non-Macross related anyway. An exception this year will be the MPC Alpha.

For Macross toys, especially the Yamato transforming Valks, I used to have the collector sickness, which meant I had to buy at least 5 of every Valk. Ya know how it goes, 1 to display in Gerwalk mode, 1 to display in Fighter mode, 1 to display in Battroid mode, 1 for general playing with and transforming and 1 to keep mint-in-box.

For a while with the Yamato 1/72 Macross Plus and 1/60 VF-1 line I got really crazy and the most of one type I ever bought was 11 pieces for the VF-11B! Obviously, this sort of habit got expensive real quick. And of course there was no way my finances or storage space could keep up once the 1/48 line arrived :D

These days I'm much better at controlling my spending and usually only buy 1 or 2 pieces of each new Yamato product as I realized it's pretty pointless having so many multiples of the same toy. I've also sold off a lot of my collection on ebay to make room for the baby.

Graham

the only things i get doubles of are McFarlane Sports figures, with the variants....

2 Tim Duncans (Black and White Jerseys), 2 Brett Favres (green and white), 2 Nomar Garciaparras (Grey and White). Does anyone know if Dontrelle Willis got a variant??

I Hear Sergei Federov is getting a figure....i'll probably get those too....

Usually I buy just one. But depending on how good/limited/expensive the thing is, I might buy another one to :

1.) sell at a higher price since I know this will sell like a hot cake in Siberia

2.) keep it MIB and make ppl jealous that I have one and they don't.

I'm not a "collector" type of person, but yeah, the only reason why i would buy doubles is to make more money to finance other toy buying.

Generally don't, but if it's something really good, one to play one to look at.

Sometimes I double up for other reasons, such as the fact I've bought multiples of Toynami's green grunt Alphas toys because it allows me to replicate squadrons (3 green/grunts to one blue/officer) ^_^

Cyc

I like to have at least one mint in box and one on display. If I really like the toy i'll buy several and have one misb and the others in different posses.

JT

I usually only buy one of something unless I get a really good deal on something. Most of my duplicates have come from group deals where I only want one piece from a sale or auction but need to buy the whole thing. A good case in point are the CMS figures. Through a couple of quick purchases I now have about 5 sets of series 2 and 3 sets of series 1.

I buy doubles when I think it's appropriate... Example: I have two 1/60 Super Hikaru... One to display with FastPacks and one to display with GBP.

I have two VF-19As... because they were unique.

I have 3 VF-11s for the obvious reason... Spare parts! :p

Usually I get one of each release.

it depends but i usually buy one, and more if its my favorite toy or something. i've bought 6 1/48 VF-1J's(3 supers) cause i smoke alot of crack! :lol:

i only make it a point to buy duplicates of most lego sets. simply to have 2 times the parts, nothing worse when your building and you got a odd number of parts. :blink: and i like lego minifigs. :)

Normally I buy 1, but occasionally I'm tempted to buy a second, like I am going to do with the VB-6.

i usually only buy one of anything, though i tend to make exceptions for mass production types i'm especially fond of. i also don't usually get paint variations without good reason, recent GFF figures are what come to mind. one is usually plenty, especially with limited display space.

yeah, I used to buy doubles of a bunch of stuff. Mostly stuff I like. Nowadays I can't afford to buy two let alone one! But once I be making the big bucks, back to the doubles! :p:D:lol:

I voted for

Normally I buy just 1, but I buy duplicates of the good stuff

Because I'm a moscer/misber but everynow & then there something really cool that I wana open! So I'll buy a doulbe if I can! :D

i buy one, tear the box apart take my stuff out, apply stickers if included, transform once without instructions untill foiled, then use instructions.

play with it for a week since new toys facinate me. then it goes on my bookshelf.

the box is thrown away that day.

(except my 1/48 kept the box for transporting it)

I've bought more than one Valk, but always with future customizing in mind, or in the case of Skull One, to make one a Super Fast pack Hikaru TV version and one a Strike Roy DYRL version. I also went crazy when the super 1/55 reissues were on sale and bought enough so all my other valks would get armor. Then I became the sweet uncle and dropped all the Valks off with my sisters/friends kids.

One place where I am guilty of multipules is Stormtroopers from Star Wars, no matter how I might have out grown the movies, I still like having a horde of stormtroopers around my house.

Edited by LePoseur

I usually only buy one of something unless I get a really good deal on something. Most of my duplicates have come from group deals where I only want one piece from a sale or auction but need to buy the whole thing. A good case in point are the CMS figures. Through a couple of quick purchases I now have about 5 sets of series 2 and 3 sets of series 1.

Dude....i'll buy one of your normal colored set 1 .

I rarely buy duplicate of new stuff, but did so recently -- when my heart was faster than my brain. The rationale I came up with was to display one at home and the other in office. But now I decided that rotating the sets is a much cheaper option! :D

Stuff I have extras of (but shouldn't): Evangelion gashapon set 2, Evangelion seaside figure collection, CMs Macross figures set 1 n 2, Gao Gai Gar wedding figure, some anime-related books, and tons of Macross/FF trading cards.

I will most likely get duplicate HCM Pro figures to create diorama. I'm still wondering how many Zaku IIs to get. :)

What really kills is not duplication per-se, but (i) getting some subsitute because you can't find the toy/figure you want, and then later finding it (so now you have two, the first which you don't really want but can't bear to sell it :p); (ii) overpaying for some toy/figure because you can't find it anywhere else, and then finding it wasn't as hard-to-find as you thought.

Edited by nhyone

One place where I am guilty of multipules is Stormtroopers from Star Wars, no matter how I might have out grown the movies, I still like having a horde of stormtroopers around my house.

Makes sense to keep some Stormtroopers. I mean the Ewoks have gotta have someone to kick around right, otherwise they might eat your cat or something. :p

Graham

Like most everyone, I usually buy one of anything I like. The only exceptions are my faves: like for example the 1/48 HIKARU 1S. I already have a(n) MISB in my display case, but I decided to pick one up yesterday to use as both a display and play piece. I guess I'll be using this one to pacify my desire in opening the 1st one that I got! Go figure! :D