MPC Alpha @ MW Con 4

The only reason that IMAI kit looks better is because it was painted by Jung. That's the thing about model kits, they only look as good as the artist can make them.

and models dont like being played 'strafe the baddies' at a zillions miles an hour, to quickly transformed in a heavy handed manner to go in 'hand to hand' style... least not without snapping some important parts first..... :p:D

Reference for the folks who wonder about the small size...

There were two different "classic" Gakken 1/55 Alpha models (not to be confused with the horrid little 1/72s). One was a triple-change [almost] all-plastic toy, and the other was a two-mode (armo-soldier/armo-diver) toy with a fair amount of diecast. Each were available in blue/red/green.

Both of the above were about 6.5"-7" tall in armo-soldier mode. If you had one of these, or have seen them in the past, this is about the size you should expect. Yes, they were quite a bit smaller than a 1/55 VF-1, but this is by design and is appropriate to the scale.

I'd personally like for the price to be a little lower, for purely selfish reasons, but given that the original 1/55 triple-change Gakkens in good condition go for nearly the same price these days, it's not too terribly out of range considering that these new MPCs seem to have a fine level of finish/detail compared to the old ones.

I'll definitely be picking some up to replace my long lost 1/55 Gakken Alphas - I remember buying all of mine for about $9.00 a pop back in the day :( . Wish I still had them, but at least I still have my old, headless, red 1/35 somewhere...

Just my $.02 ... :)

I wouldn't be surprised if much like the MPC VF-1J, these eventually sell out, retail price or otherwise.

The only difference will be that THIS MPC is actually worth getting, and people may be kicking themselves later on for good reason, not having picked one up earlier at a decent price like the low-vizes.

Overall quality gets a thumbs up from me. Personally, I'll risk waiting just a little bit to see if I can get a better price, but at the end of the day, I'm definitely getting one.

Me Myriad like toy

Me Myriad no like price

Me Myriad will crack

My Myriad will buy one

Me Myriad will at least have greeny

Me Myriad want to know if Dark/Shadow will be retooled..........

:ph34r:

It all started with the word "Me", except 3rd from the bottom "My Myriad buy one". What happened???? Just curious...

The only reason that IMAI kit looks better is because it was painted by Jung. That's the thing about model kits, they only look as good as the artist can make them.

I disagree. Even without the fancy paint, the scuplt of the IMAI is better. There is a reason for this... The IMAI fighter mode sucks so bad I won't keep it in that mode. They went for a more accurate soldier mode and it shows. Toynami went for a more even compromise. As such, soldier mode suffers slightly while fighter mode is better as compared to the IMAI model. I like the compromises that were made, though I do think Toynami really ought to have realized at the prototype stage that those leg and feet as to big... I think it would have made fighter mode look even better...

vinnie

As the latest three transformable IMAI kits on eBay just went in the $40-$50 range, and considering the labor to build the thing along with all the customization necessary to really pull the kit off anything like Jung's masterpiece, I'm happy with $80 shipped and built. Plus I asked Jung about the playability. And he said basically "models are models, toys are toys". And I don't buy things to just have them sit around.

I still don't get the rounded baby blue air intakes. I do like the squared off gray ones on the IMAI. Wonder what Jung charges for repaints.

If Toynomi has decided their Robotech lines will be 1/55, then so be it. Means a small Alpha, but still a good sized VF-1 and Beta. Just make the best darn 1/55 you can. Glad to see this is an innovative product maybe worthy of Masterpiece, unlike the VF-1, which was just another recast, and hardly worthy of being called anything other than "just another kids toy". The FAST packs were a different story, and maybe hinting the direction we see more of now with the Alpha.

I like the idea of a double-barrel alpha. No chance Toynami will just run a couple extra hundred guns and deliver them for $5 a pop or something? :ph34r:

Thanks,

Scott

its so tiny.  $80?  :unsure:

arhhh why do you guys say tiny. it is to scale!!!! well anyway EXO are you sure about the gun being able to mount on both sides? I thought the gun only has mounting points on one side of the gun which makes it only able to attach on the left wing and left side of the gun. If it were placed on the right wing then the magazine of the gun would hit the body.

I dont know if this gun will be easy to recast as it has moving parts. both the stock and grip move/rotate on a pivot (independantly) plus I dont think toynami will be considerate enough to have the gun screw together. Kinda like trying to recast a Yamato gun. Not easily accomplished.

yup yup good scale , i liked it next to the GBP's vf-1j, in valk mode..

nice and heavy

ON THE GUN POD>

The gun pod was placed under the wing and the magazine stuck out a bit, and if placed the other way it may hit the body, dont think magazine was re/movable.

Gonna need to see that again, i think Mcbride was there when Tom was showing me the gun fit...

VERY impressed though..........

Thanks ROBOTECH GUYS.............. B))

oh yeah this was attempted on the, if jet coming toward you, your right side...

Edited by orguss01

Oh ok I thought that was the 1/48 with the Toynami Alpha.

Honestly were we expecting less of Toynami/HG? I know I suck at models compared to Jung. So MPC it is. Unless Yamato wants to make em. I dont have a choice. Jsut those damn ronald mcdoland feet. Maybe I'll take it apart and have rohby recast and i'l sculpt a smaller middle section. (not the toes but the grey metal part on the foot that the toes Are attached to)

guys I wont buy this till like it gets discounted but nonetheless Irt looks very cool and I want. However I do not know much on the alpha compared to teh VF-1 so in general I must ask

1-the removeable part....a antenna? What is this for? Is it the head for battroid mode? Can you leave it off in battroiud without the robot looking funny?

2-DId bateman ever say why it was 80$?

3-were stickers already on the one he brought?

4-finger looseness.....more loooser than MPC VF-1 or tighter?

thanks.

1) Yes. Used in battroid mode and mounts on shoulder. You can mount it or leave as is...

2) That is the MSRP for the MPC line.. (My guess...)

3) No stickers attached yet...IT was still sealed in the box.

4) Not sure...I didn't check.

Okay, I wasn't sure which thread to post this in but I decided to take a picture of a super poseable with my Toynami 1J to figure out how it compares to the MPC Alpha.

As you can see it's pretty much the same size. Both the poseable and the MPC come up to just above the vents on the legs.

post-26-1089709427_thumb.jpg

Ok so what is the concrete no bull release date for these?

Did anyone ask at MW Con?

Better yet, here's the link to the picture with the little figure and cyclone/backpack:

Cyclone figure

Thanks for the link, I missed that picture somehow. They sure seem to have put a lot of effort into those little suckers, I hope the mass produced retail versions are as cool as the demo versions they have been showing off.

I am getting closer and closer to breaking down and ordering one.

I don't think some people here realize how difficult it is to build a kit and make it look as good as what that Jung fellow has done. I bought one of those kits myself, but after building it, I did the world a favor and hid it in a deep dark place to spare everyone the discomfort of having to look at it. And in any case, although the kit transforms, you'd be ill-advised to repeatedly transform it back and forth. The Imai simply isn't designed to be a toy (which isn't a criticism - that's just not what they were shooting for).

We seem to be getting another flood of "I'm going to pass" posts, as though 51 pages of them were not enough. Maybe, if you've already told us you're going to pass in 3 or more previous posts, we could all just assume that your position hasn't changed unless you post otherwise. If suddenly I'm struck with the burning question, "is user 'xxx' going to buy the alpha?" I can just look back in the post history and determine the answer.

I'm heartened by the fact that the people who have actually seen and handled the toy in person seem to be very happy with it.

As for 'costing much more than a 1/60', iirc the retail price of the standard 1/60 valks was 7800 yen, which with today's exchange rate would be roughly 72 dollars; plus, if you're in the US you probably had to pay at least 10 dollars in shipping. So, it simply isn't true that the alpha costs much more than a 1/60. Smaller? yes. Unfortunate. If you don't want to buy it because of that, fair enough. But we've known it a long time, the shock should really have worn off by now.

Ok so what is the concrete no bull release date for these?

Did anyone ask at MW Con?

The Alphas (first production run) are on the boat as we speak... I believe it left on HK yesterday and will take about 12-14 days to get to the U.S. Then add 2-5 days for customs clearance and delivery.

-K

Sounds like 1st week in August then.

I wouldn't be surprised if much like the MPC VF-1J, these eventually sell out, retail price or otherwise.

love the avatar. :lol:

the VF-1J hit clearance for about $25 each at gamestop. :D along with every other MPC they put out.

I still think these will not perform like the first MPCs. After all, when the original Valkyrie MPCs came out they had oodles of competition from Yamato and Bandai. Most people did not buy the MPCs at brick and mortar stores but more likely bought them online on ebay and at other e-tailers. It's easy to see why the original MPCs dropped in price like a rock in a pond as most of the time people saw them side to side with other toys of the same thing and had a choice between them.

The Legioss/Alpha is different. There are no other current Mospeada toys out right now and other than those dorky morphers they are alone in the market for "new" Mospeada toys. Judging by the premium prices the old Gakkens fetch on the internet and in other places I still think these new MPCs will hold their price better and have a higher demand than their previous brothers.

But time will tell... I myself would rather see these toys sell very well and hold their prices so it gives more incentive for Toynami to make the Tread as well as other Mospeada toys. I personally am sick to death of Macross things and seeing some nice new Mospeada toys, especially toys that I never had like a Dark Legioss fighter and the promise of different ride armors and possibly a Tread just make me want to whip out the wallet and start sneaking toys into the house all over again. :lol:

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

love the avatar. :lol:

the VF-1J hit clearance for about $25 each at gamestop. :D along with every other MPC they put out.

Pretty crazy how now the Rick Hunter VF-1J sells for higher than retail, huh? :lol:

Thanks for the picture comparisons bigkid24, I think I'll pick up some of the discounted Alpha super poseables so I only need to buy one of the transforming Alphas.

I disagree. Even without the fancy paint, the scuplt of the IMAI is better. There is a reason for this... The IMAI fighter mode sucks so bad I won't keep it in that mode. They went for a more accurate soldier mode and it shows. Toynami went for a more even compromise. As such, soldier mode suffers slightly while fighter mode is better as compared to the IMAI model. I like the compromises that were made, though I do think Toynami really ought to have realized at the prototype stage that those leg and feet as to big... I think it would have made fighter mode look even better...

I dunno... the IMAI soldier mode looks much too stocky and ungainly here, and doesn't quite pull off that mode proportionally, at least when compared to the line art or anime. I dare say the Toynami's soldier mode resembles the anime more-- and was one of the first things I'd noticed about the sculpt. It's also telling that when seeing that picture up above, I'd wondered how the Toynami got so chunky and disporportionate all of a sudden, then realized it was the IMAI kit I was seeing.

Now Capt. America/Moscato's Legios kit was a compromise that did actually feature extremely accurate soldier mode-- gorgeous-- but unfortunately, fighter mode suffered with its stubby nose and overall chunkiness, and it no longer really resembled the line art. I know that's exactly what he was going for-- that fighter mode would be secondary and sleekness and proportion be damned... but it was a compromise that I personally had a hard time getting over, especially since it was lauded as being overall "more accurate" than Toynami's MPC. I guess I'd rather have a nose that hangs too long in soldier, not being that prominent from a front view anyway-- than a much more innaccurate nose that calls attention to itself in fighter mode, especially when the rest of the kit was so finely crafted.

-Al

I dunno... the IMAI soldier mode looks much too stocky and ungainly here, and doesn't quite pull off that mode proportionally, at least when compared to the line art or anime. I dare say the Toynami's soldier mode resembles the anime more-- and was one of the first things I'd noticed about the sculpt. It's also telling that when seeing that picture up above, I'd wondered how the Toynami got so chunky and disporportionate all of a sudden, then realized it was the IMAI kit I was seeing.

I think the reason why you think the IMAI is chunky is from the angle shot of the camera top down. Whereas the toynami version has had pictures full frontal.

In terms of Line art Toynami's version does not line up the left and right chest with the central section that has the triangle on it. Both the left and the right chest section are not supposed to be fully horizontal. I doubt if it's a transformation error since all the photos I've seen of the battloid has the same thing. The Imai has this done correctly as does the Gakken.

I can't seem to find the answer to this one but I'm sure someone's already answered it. Do you have to remove the sensor pod in order to transform it into fighter mode?

alpha_details.jpg