Which anime series to watch

Smiley424

Hello all,

Now that I'm pretty much done with watching Macross (own and watched TV, DYRL, Mac+ and decided to wait on M0 and M7), I'm looking at new anime series to go buy and watch. The following are the series/DVD sets I'm mulling over right now:

Neo Genesis Evangelion Perfect Edition DVD Box Set

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Complete Operations DVD Box Set

Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Chronicles DVD Box Set

Star Blazers: Quest for Iscandar 6-Disc DVD Box Set

Gatchaman DVD Set

Genesis Climber Mospeada DVD set

I'd really like to know more about Nadesico, Gatchaman, Evangelion, and Star Blazers specifically. Links to sites about each show would be nice. Opinions on any of the above and suggestions of a show I haven't listed are welcome.

You picked some one of the best anime's to mull over..........don't forget about the three or four other Yamato theatrical releases (BE FOREVER YAMATO, ARRIVADERCI YAMATO, FINAL YAMATO).

Only one of those series I really comment on is Nadesico, which is a pretty good series. I remember being a little surprised though, as it seemed to start off like a comdey/parody and then quickly turned into a serious show.

I'd say forget about Gundam Wing and go for the good stuff, the original Gundam series. But the TV DVDs are dubbed-only, so you should pick up the movies. Shorter, quicker, easier and most of the 70's robot anime-cheese is gone. Plus it'll set you up nicely for the upcoming Z Gundam, which is _awesome_.

STOP!

Do "not" waste your money on the Starblazers DVD's unless you like badly dubbed, badly edited, and really badly encoded DVD's (pixelization & bad compression out the ass). If you want to Experience Yamato, do it as Matsumoto intended, go pick up the series 1, 2, & 3 HK DVD sets instead. They'll run out about $70 + shipping (much less than 1 SB series set), and you'll love yourself forever for it.

With that said, I'm also giving another vote for the Gundam movies 3 disc set. Mind you I did like Wing, but to fully appreciate anything, you must start at the beginning....and then Zeta!

From your list Evangelion is the best one. Then Starblazer Yamato.

But you better get the other Yamato movies and series.

PLease do nt buy the Gundam Wing thingie, sorry if I bother GW fans. Get 08 th team insteed, or 0083. Every gundam is better that GW, even the Turn A and G Gundam... Sorry If I bother GG and T A G fans... but those are baaaaaad. Worst than Seed.

Good new mecha anime titles are (series) IMHO:

Full Metal Panic (Humor and killer mecha action).

She the Ultimate Weapon (Deeeeeeeeep, but great... a love story more than a mecha story).

Rhaxephon (GET IT!! GET IT!!).

Last Exile. (A beauty!).

FCL (twisted freack black humor)

Vandred (mecha action for girls)

Stellvia (Mecha-for gals).

I think you should get Evangelion... is a controversial but successfull anime.

And the Rahxephon, so you will see how eva should been done!

Nadesico is a silly animation for kids... Sorry if I bother NAdesico Fans... LOL!!

I believe all of the Yamato movies are available from AnimEigo, though I don't know if they've gotten them onto DVD yet. I think their 'Arcadia of My Youth' DVD will be out soon, another Leij Matsumoto classic.

Yamato is a good show, and even Starblazers wasn't too bad for it's time, not nearly as hacked up as Macross was for Robotech, but still, it's not the same show. Still dumbed down for kids. This is one of the few cases where I'd wholeheartedly endorse picking up a bootleg, as there really is no other way to see the show subtitled in english, without the editing.

I'm not a huge Gundam fan, but I agree with yellowlightman's statement. Gundam Wing is pretty bad, and not due to any editing, it's just not a well written show. It's aimed at a much younger age group than the original Gundam was aimed at when it first came out and it shows in the poorly constructed plot, and characters that are completely devoid of anything resembling developement. The Universal Century Gundam shows are much better.

MOSPEADA looks interesting, I'd certainly like to see the unedited Japanese show as opposed to Robotech. If Macross is any indication, it should be much better than what we grew up with.

Unless the Eva Perfect Edition is another name for the Evangelion Revival, you might want to wait on that. The Revival is the original show remastered, and I think they cleaned up some of the animation. A slightly better Eva.

Without a doubt, watch Evangelion. Rurouni Kenshin, Escaflowne, Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, and FLCL are easy recommendations, as well.

Edited by Anubis

Hello all,

Now that I'm pretty much done with watching Macross (own and watched TV, DYRL, Mac+ and decided to wait on M0 and M7), I'm looking at new anime series to go buy and watch.  The following are the series/DVD sets  I'm mulling over right now:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Complete Operations DVD Box Set

Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Chronicles DVD Box Set

Star Blazers: Quest for Iscandar 6-Disc DVD Box Set

Gatchaman DVD Set

Genesis Climber Mospeada DVD set

There's only two there in your list that's really worth getting in region-1 dvd:

[*] EVA

[*] Nadesico

I'll add in a couple more:

[*] Dai-Guard

[*] FLCL

[*] Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV

I suggest the way/sequence to watch 'em is:

Tylor -> Nadesico

EVA -> Dai-Guard

FLCL

I'd really like to know more about Nadesico, Gatchaman, Evangelion, and Star Blazers specifically.  Links to sites about each show would be nice.  Opinions on any of the above and suggestions of a show I haven't listed are welcome.

Nadesico is a parody of Gundam-0079, SDF-Macross, and Star Blazers/Yamato.

Dai-Guard is a parody of EVA and most other 70's robot-anime.

Tylor is more or less a parody of Star Blazers.

Even tho the above titles are parodies in their most basic premises, they do stand on their own and are quite excellent separate anime by themselves.

EVA is EVA. FLCL is FLCL. Both are Gainax at it's finest. Nuff said. ;)

--treatment--

Naruto this show is SO GOOD I cant believe no one's mentioned it. Its funny, serious and follows the magna closly :o

Others that would closly follow

Aura Battle Dunbine (Giant robot)

SPT Laynazer (Giant robot)

Rurouni Kenshin (Comedy, Action)

Kare Kano (Another Gainex work but not nearly as wierd)

Gunbuster (Gainex at its finest)

Fushigi Yuugi (Comedy, Cheesey, fantasy)

Trigun (Action, Comedy)

Cowboy Bebop (Action Comedy)

Full Metal Panic! (Giant robot comedy)

Full metal Panic? (Comedy )

Azumanga Daoih (Funny as all)

only yesterday (Deep)

Nausicaa (action, cool)

Laputa Castle in the sky (Great movie)

totoro (Feel good movie)

Kiki (Cheesy Believe in yourself movie)

Porco Rosso (Fun airplane movie)

Princess mononoke (overrated but good)

Spirited away (Very creepy but good)

Wolf's Rain (really great plot)

And gundam's to watch

MSG (MOVIES)

08th MS team

Z

ZZ

CCA

F-91

V

G

X

Turn A

SEED (Man its getting good)

Man thats alot of good anime

If you want to die of depressingness watch these, do so and you will at least shed one tear.

Grave of the Fireflies

Pom Poko

Gundam 0080

Now and then here and there

Saikano

ARGHHHHHHH

people buy anime make estacado head hurt

get high speed inet and funk the bullshnick

aside from that

you need to watch:

Naruto

Wolf's Rain

Hellsing (AMEN!)

Any SUBBED gundam ep you can find

Kiddy Grade

Love Hina

Onegai Teacher(except the OVA, it blew like a hentai nurse)

Initial D

Lain

Edited by estacado06479

Gasaraki! Man I love this series.

other good ones are

Escaflowne the movie

Vampire hunter D Bloodlust (skip the original Vampire Hunter D if you wish, it is good but shows it age)

Ruroni Kenshin

Gundam 0083, can be overated but is still good

Gundam 8th MS team

Patalabor 1 & 2 (skip the 3rd movie if you know whats good for you)

Patlabor the TV series

and if you seriously wanna die of depression see Grave of the fireflys, JinRoh, and the Ruroni Kenshin OVA's. These are really good but depressing to the extreme.

Edited by GobotFool

You definitely owe it to yourself to see Evangelion if you never have before. It's hands down one of the best anime series ever created, and you're really missing out. Just don't pass judgement on it until you see it all the way through - including End of Evangelion. I watched it once years ago, got through a few episodes, and wasn't that impressed, so I dropped it. Fast forward a few years, and I gave it another chance, and was just totally blown away (hey - I was unemployed and had a lot of time on my hands ;) ). VERY few series solicited the kind of raw emotional reaction out of me like Evangelion did. Simply a masterpiece on par with the best ever.

Other than that? I'm not entirely sure what you've seen and what you haven't, so I'll just stick to the newer stuff:

I hear good things about Noir, but I still have yet to watch past the second episode (I own 4 disks so far, and have the whole series in avi).

I've been loving Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, but you can't get it in N America yet. If you have broadband, torrent, IRC, or Kazaa will hook you up while we wait for a domestic R1 release.

Hellsing - I'm pretty sure this one is out in N America, and you just have to love Gonzo.

Rahxephon was pretty entertaining, but I'd recommend renting before you buy. I was a little letdown, but YMMV.

Full Metal Panic - very nice. Great action, and sense of humor. I was very impressed with this one.

The greatest anime movie EVER is Golgo 13, The Professional.

See it!

The story is okay, but I can't get into the cheesy CG they used for the helicopter scenes. (Yeah, I know this movie was done in 1983, but they shouldn't have attempted to use CG in the first place.)

And don't get me started with Golgo 13: Queen Bee. The artwork is no better than the first.

AVOID everything from 2003 execpt for Saikano.

Nadesico was great, Votoms, all the Gundam UC timeline Tomino shows, Hokuto No Ken, Now and Then Here and There, GTO, Patlabor, Gunbuster. Stick with the classics, their much more deserving of being watched than shows that are all flash and no content.

Edited by Brewtal

IMHO, for Evangelion, go through all the regular episodes first, up to the last two. If the ending doesn't make sense, THEN go on to the two later releases. Personally, the first ending made more sense to me than the later releases.

For Gundam, watch it all the way up to Char's Counterattack (that includes 0083, 0080, 08 MS), MAYBE F-91 (F-91 is somewhere on the timeline I think...). G-Gundam is good for laughs, just don't take it too seriously and you'll have a blast. Personally, I'd just steer clear of Wing and Turn-A...

Tylor ranks top on my list of must sees... the TV series definately. The OVA series tends to be overlooked, and a bit darker in tone, but I think is essential in terms of character development.

Tekkaman Blade (the 90s remake, better graphics :-p), Nadia, etc... Brewtal is right, the classics really are more worth watching. Not sure if you can find it, but Eden's Bowy isn't too bad. Initial D if you're a racing fanatic.. watching that made me want to beat most of GT3 using the Sprinter Trueno :-p

If you like Naruto, then I'd highly suggest Ninku (no stateside release that I'm aware of). The animation shows its age, but for its time it was THE ninja anime.

For the 21st century.. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Now and Then Here and There, Full Metal Panic, and Saikano are really the only ones I've seen that I liked.

AVOID everything from 2003 execpt for Saikano.

Nadesico was great, Votoms, all the Gundam UC timeline Tomino shows, Hokuto No Ken, Now and Then Here and There, GTO, Patlabor, Gunbuster. Stick with the classics, their much more deserving of being watched than shows that are all flash and no content.

The new Ninja Scroll TV series is good. So is the new Shin Hokuto No Ken,

(Fist of the North Star) OVA.

Skip Gundam btw. It all sucks. Including UC. Dunbine will put you to sleep. VOTOMS on the other hand is an awesome show. The original Fist of the North Star TV series is good too just very long.

and again to anyone check out BERSERK

Berserk is good, but man... did you like the end. I left me without sleep two nights.

I think Rahxephon and eva are a must. Then Full Metal Panic.

I have not seen yet Stand Alone Complex, I bought it, but no time to check it. Same with Wolf Rain, Ninja scroll (new one) among a lot of other titles that are resting now in the TV rack.

Personally I did not like much Wich Hunter Robin. Is like watching a cross between Nickita and theX files.

Yukikaze... what can I say. I agree with graham, the characters looks like a Grunge Band... and kinda gay Grunge band. Nice piloting and Dog Fights, but I prefer 10.000 times Macross Zero over Yukikaze.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot-look into all things Ranma 1/2. Tekkaman Blade 2 was an easy, if not short series to get into. One of my personal guilty pleasures of late has been the Fist of the North Star series. On the other end of the spectrum is the Hakkenden Collection, Outlaw Star, X and the Ys OAVs (Adol still kicks a$$ long after the TG16's demise). Last but not least is Excel Saga.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses so soon. Hmm, I should've mention what I have seen which includes Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Mobile Suit Gundam, and 08th MS Team. Liked them all. I know I should start watching other genres of anime, but my main thing is the crazy sci-fi/mecha animes. Currently, I'm trying to watch as much of Big O on the Cartoon Network as I'm able to. Love the big robot vs big robot deal, like Mazinger Z. Will definately get that when the series comes to DVD.

I think I'm probably gonna go with Space Battleship Yamato, from what I've read about it, I think I'll dig the series. I'll probably check out Neo Genesis Evangelion next or eventually get around the Mac0 and Mac7.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and so ends another episode of wasting time with MacrossWorld.

What's with all the Wing hate? Seriously, it was better than the first 3rd of ZZ, and as long as it maintains that level, I don't see the problem. It's a perfectly fine re-interpretation of 0079 & Zeta.

BTW, one major post CCA series you neglected was Victory Gundam, an incredible story for the post Amuro & Char timeline.

I do have an additional suggestion though, the Giant Robo OVA DVD set that was put out this year in Korea. It has excellent subtitles, and is a phenominal OVA in and of itself. Note on this one, do "not" get the HK set, get the actual R3 release (which is R1 compatible). It's now available in a 5 disc box set.

Edited by Keith

I would suggest:

Ninja Scroll Special Edition and TV Series

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Rahxephon

You might want to try:

Visions of a Distant Star

Edited by Angel's Fury