Latest commission - custom VF 1J Low Vis!

Kurt

Hey everyone. I just finished my next commission job. The customer wanted a custom 1/48 Low Vis. I used three shades of gray on this valk. I used a light gray for the underside and anything that could be seen from a below view. For the top side I used a medium to dark gray. Then I accented the tail fins with a blue gray, like Yamato did with theirs. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

post-4-1087670472_thumb.jpg

The skull on the heatshield with the dragon on the tail is kinda weird but other than that very groovy.

The customer wanted to use the dragon on the tail fins and fast packs. I only had four decals of the dragon, so I had to put something on the heatshield. Besides, since this was never a "real" valk, I believe the schemes are left to the imagination. That is one of the big benefits of doing something like this. Maybe the pilot wanted to commemorate his last squadron he flew with..... use your imagination. Thanks everyone.

Very Nice. The panel lining is beautiful. I wish I had your skills. I like the touch of the dragon insignia and the placement of some of the decals. Make's it look more like a modern fighter.

Great work.

Someone not having the skill is not a problem... unless, like me, someone has no money to pay people WITH skill to do it. :p

Nice job! :D

Kurt - I always enjoy your work. Do you have a collection of all your customs (besides ones posted on the MW custom page)?

All of the custom valks that I have done are in the gallery here. I have done numerous other non-Macross models for people over the years.

I want one. I think that is awsome. Even better looking the actual low viz. Where do I sign up and how much??? :D

very nice job.. love the fast packs... I wouldn't mind seeing low viz versions of the VF-1s or 1j and appropriate fast packs... bother to people who will start making noise about how grey cammo in space doesn't make sense and blah blah blah.

bother to people who will start making noise about how grey cammo in space doesn't make sense and blah blah blah.

Actually, camouflage in space does make sense in certain instances.

Let me give you a couple of examples, I'm sure there are more.

Operating as "close in support" around the Macross. If the valkyrie and fastpacks are painted a color similar to the SDF1 to blend in, they could hide and attack in-coming enemies. Just blend in, pop out and eliminate the threat, and then melt away again. A Low Viz. scheme would be perfect for this.

I'm no expert, but as big as space is, there must be millions/thousands of planets with little, to no atmosphere. As such, the fastpacks can and should be utilized.

Take for example the moon. The moon is light grey, dark grey, with black craters and so forth. A moon base would be the perfect place to deploy a camouflage valkyrie.

And one more example for arguments sake. When Minmei and Hikaru are flying the VT-1 around the rings of Saturn. At least that's where I think they were. But anyway, the VT-1 had their fastpacks on, and if painted to blend in with the planet/rings, they might have had a better chance. ;) It's all speculative, but certainly feasible.

Edited by ChristopherB