Petals around the rose

wolfx

I don't get it.

I pressed roll, entered a number that I love to use and it says I got it... on the first try...

Did I miss something? :unsure:

I think that's what mathematicians call a "fluke." :p

But don't make the mistake that I did and write down 5 or 6 results so you can "look at them later." The dice man, it's all in the dice.

It can be simple. Or extremely difficult.

If you go off on the wrong track, you're hosed for a good while. My first inkling turned out to be right, except I didn't go far enough in that direction or think specific enough about it before I tried something else, to the tune of 20 minutes of frustration and feeling neither creative or very smart.

-Al

I thought about posting this earlier after all the 2 and 4 second claims:

You have to be able to get it right like 5 or 6 or 20 times in a row to "get it". Once or twice is random luck. Heck, I got the 2, 3, and 4th rolls right and thought I had it--then was wrong on the 5th and 6th rolls.

The rules are it has to be an even number, and it'll rarely be over 10 (it's supposed to be SIMPLE and QUICK, so a 4-year-old can do it mentally, so the numbers will never ever be big), so just entering 2, 4, or 6 a lot will give you the right answer a lot of the time.

I thought about posting this earlier after all the 2 and 4 second claims:

You have to be able to get it right like 5 or 6 or 20 times in a row to "get it".  Once or twice is random luck.  Heck, I got the 2, 3, and 4th rolls right and thought I had it--then was wrong on the 5th and 6th rolls. 

The rules are it has to be an even number, and it'll rarely be over 10 (it's supposed to be SIMPLE and QUICK, so a 4-year-old can do it mentally, so the numbers will never ever be big), so just entering 2, 4, or 6 a lot will give you the right answer a lot of the time.

I can tell you the exact numbers you can expect. Up to the exact maximum too.

Once you've figured out the rule, you cannot be wrong, unless you added incorrectly.

As far as being rarely over ten, I think that had more to do with the random number generator than being easy for the kids.

Edited by Stamen0083

Oh for the love of... OK I get it now.

This has to be one of those dumbest things I have ever seen. Just randomly typing in numbers I was right more than half the time and when I saw the "pattern" I just about laughed my ass off.

This is someone's idea of a cruel joke. :lol:

Well I lost many minutes before getting it. I over analized it <_<

I feel like a retard ´cause it took me so long before finding the solution

I know what u mean. Its insulting your intelligence, no? I can hear the dice laughing at me now...... <_<

My point was that there's an "almost" solution which works often enough you might think you've got it. Because I found it on the 2nd try, and it worked several times in a row after that. Until it didn't. Then I figured out the real solution, which of course always works.

Kind of like how lots of people "find" a way to tell a 747-100 from a 747-200, that works for 30 planes in a row---until you find a -200 that should be a -100, based on your criteria. :) (There is none, AFAIK, and I've spent a lot of time looking--exceptions are if it happens to be a -200 using engines that only appear on a -200, that's not Rolls-Royce or Saudia, and not JAL, and I'm sure ANA has some freaks in the fleet)

I looked at it for a few minutes without ever rolling the dice, thought I had found the solution, thought, "no, that's too simple", then proceeded to waste two hours of my time overanalyzing it only to realize that my first imporession was right.

In other words, it is so freaking blindingly simple!.

I looked at it for a few minutes without ever rolling the dice, thought I had found the solution, thought, "no, that's too simple", then proceeded to waste two hours of my time overanalyzing it only to realize that my first imporession was right.

In other words, it is so freaking blindingly simple!.

I did that too.....annoying that I was so close....forgot about it and think of stupid crap later.

This thread is so funny :lol:

Sorry but I´m laughing my ass off from people that couldn´t find the answer yet! I know how you feel :D

Yesterday when I was wasting my precious time over analyzing this puzzle (before getting the solution) I felt like I was "MacrossWorld Official Retard".

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Well, at first I was wondering what the point was, and now the whole thing became dramatically easy. Sheesh... :blink:

Heh, finally figured it out, took my about 10 tries till I could answer consistently. Highest petals I got was 14 actually.

That was gonna drive me insane, glad I figured it out.

A year to figure it out does seem a bit of an exageration.

Got it on the 4th try.

Initially I was thinking I wouldn't be able to solve it, as I'm crap at maths, but that don't matter none anyway B))

Graham

Sounds like you got yerself a good edumacation :lol: