macross plus movie or ova

arrow

Both are well worth your time. I think it's a matter of, "Which would you prefere? Recieving a million dollars in 20 dollar bills, or 50 dollar bills?"

I've come to the conclusion that I don't believe the length of the OVA version really adds anything to the story, the same amount of plot and character developement is arrived at in both. So the only bonuses to either is that the OVA is longer, and the movie has some better animation, and the addition of a couple better songs, but it is shorter.

I'd say if you absolutely have to pick 1 version, it should be the movie edition. The added closure (and fanfare) at the end, Wanna Be An Angel, etc, all place it ahead in my book. The OVA version should be seen as well, as its got some great mecha battles early on (that aren't in the movie ed), in fact I'd say it has a stronger begginning with a weaker ending (as the movie ed has a weaker beginning with a stronger end).

To add further difficulty, the movie edition has an inexcusably bad VHS dump to DVD transfer, while the OVA has a beautifuly (but slightly dark) DVD transfer.... But with only 3 disc's in all, why choose?

To add further difficulty, the movie edition has an inexcusably bad VHS dump to DVD transfer, while the OVA has a beautifuly (but slightly dark) DVD transfer.... But with only 3 disc's in all, why choose?

Keith,

Is this true only for the Manga's R1 DVD or also true of the R2 Movie version?

I don't have the movie version and was wondering about that.

Is this true only for the Manga's R1 DVD or also true of the R2 Movie version?

I have the Manga movie edition and can verify that it is a straight VHS-to-DVD rip. As for the R2....I would expect it to look better since the R2 is a raw (no subs).

I generally prefer the OVA as the movie cuts Isamu's battle with the powered suits from episode # 1 and also the fight in the training city from episode # 2. However, the movie has a slightly better death scene for Guld.

The best thing would be for somebody to edit an ultimate version of the movie which included the deleted fight scenes from the OVA.

As a mecha action junky, I also have to say that episode # 3 of the OVA is a real snooze-fest due to it's lack of any mecha action.

Graham

There was a bit too much character development taken out of the Movie Edition for MY taste. But, what're ya gonna do? It's almost impossible to fit in three to four hours of story and compress it into a two hour movie (and at the same to PLEASE everybody). Oh well. At least the Lucy fanboys got to see dem fanBAGS. :p

Don't have the R2 movie edition DVD (yet, still a bit pricy), but from what I've heard, its significantly better. Hell, the trailers for it with the M7 DVD's & the Macross 20th anniv DVD show much better quality than manga's piss poor dump to dvd.

The OVA is longer, with better video quality.

The movie has a better ending, but with a poor VHS quality on the DVD.

Bottom line, to win you have to see BOTH.

I own both, and can not really choose which is better.

It's best to see the series how it was shown in Japan.

OVA series first, then the movie last.

An awesome series that MUST be seen.

THE MOVIE VERSION. It seems better the way they edited it. I wish all scenes in the OVA that weren't in the movie were in there but...

The "ending" for Guld is better done in the movie version too.

2 cents have been added to the pot

They weren't entirely compatible, is the problem.

Like the concert hall fire. Isamu COULDN'T get in the latest edition of Galaxy's Dumbest Police Chases because he was ... otherwise occupied.

That's why Guld was allowed to verbally abuse Isamu for not coming to Myung's aid. Isamu couldn't tell him "oh shove it you green-haired bastard" because HE WAS RIGHT. Isamu completely blew Myung off in her hour of need for a night of wild sex.

AND it's why Lucy didn't tell Isamu that Myung was leaving.

She wasn't just a freaky stalker that hacked his answering machine and deleted to his messages(best explanation of the line in the OVA).

Or the YF-19/YF-21 fight with the live-fire accident. Since Isamu (logically) got hospitalized after Guld crashed his VF-11, the fight(cool as it was) couldn't happen. And movie viewers were spared that bit of overly-contrived nonsense with the loading live ammo into Isamu's gun, then stealing it and shooting him.

The above scenes in particular annoyed me from the moment I saw them, and really detract a lot from the show with their raw stupidity. The story is better off without all 3.

There's some sweet scenes in the OVA version, but in my opinion the movie version is the one to watch, if you have to choose.

It has 30% less retarded filler(yes, a lot of it is filler), and 300% more Guld kicking the Ghost's cybernetic ass.

I agree with JBO's comments. The OVA seems like a soap opera somehow because of the "filler". I do not care about the Myung-Guld-Isamu love triangle. Who cares who she likes? Furthermore in the OVA, Guld is portrayed like a freak. Just stick to the fighting please, which they did in the Movie version.

This raises a curious question that I will post on the board shortly...

I love them both but to me the movie has a better look and the storyline seems tightened up. There's a lot of stuff in the OVA, particularly with regards to Guld and whatever his mental malfunction is that just doesn't wash with someone who has to pass a flight physical, especially with regards to a Brain-Controlled aircraft!! Could there have been a worse choice based on the OVA?

In the movie, though, they make it seem like Isamu's presence is dredging up old crap in his brain.

Like I said, love 'em both but the movie gets an extra thumb's up.

well, I was stuck in the middle like you before on which one to buy, but I just brought the OAV first, then the Movie. The result is,, I get to see everything,, think of it as the "Super collectors edition" But if you're in short of money, then just get the Movie.