Would you buy HG versions of DYRL and Macross 7?

Myriad

Would you buy HG versions of DYRL and Macross 7?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy HG versions of DYRL and Macross 7?

• Yes! I would also boast about it
    • No! I own the "alternate" versions
    • Yes! Although, I would never admit it
    • No! They both suck

I must qualify my vote; only if the HG version is "remastered/restored" and offers both original japanese soundtrack AND english dub (not the annoying Robotech voices) AND optional english subs.

I didn't vote since no option fit my choice.

I'd buy the R1 version of DYRL if it was better then the FX version I have. That goes for sound, subs, (dub if possible). Also the price would have to be decent as well.

As for Macross 7. If they were to release a version, since I am a fan of the series I'd would seriously think about it. First the price would have be reasonable with a decent amount of episodes on the CD. Hell the FX versions manage to have what 8 episodes per dvd plus with extras on the dvd with origninal track and english subs.

I honestly could care less if HG's logo was on it or not. I really don't care about the whole legal mess anymore. Its pointless anyway. HG will try its best to take what it wants and nothing we can do about it. More important things in life for me. Finishing college(my senior year next Sept.), trying to get into graduate school, or a decent job. Not to mention there are other series that are higher on my list to get once they are released. Actually my interest in both RT and Macross has seriously decreased in the past few months. I spend most of my time in the Other Anime forum here and only hit RT.com for the chat to talk with friends.

Though should be interesting to see how they explain this at AX, though its clear they believe they had the rights to everything. To see if they get the masters for these shows or release things based off of the FX versions that can be bought or if they import the R2 versions and take them apart. Now that would be interesting and really sad to be honest if they did that.

I have both shows on DVD anyway so I'm already happy.

Edited by Effect

Lets have another poll.

Who here has the original official Japanese DVD releases?

Which ones do you own? List legit products only-no bootlegs.

Not meaning to sound like an ass (again) but that poll you will find will be very, very lopsided. I only know one person who has legit R2 items of Macross... everyone else has bootlegs or the handfull of R1 that has been released.

Make that two--I bought a legit R2 version of Macross DYRL (special-ordered it from the Asahiya Bookstroe in Torrance), although I probably will buy a legit version (even a HG/ADV joint release) when it comes out on general principles.

DYRL is more beautiful than sunsets and childbirth... M7 boils the bile in my stomach and makes me want to urinate on the elderly while wildly shooting automatic weapons in the sky.  So this thread leaves me kinda limp.  What are we talking about?

How much we hate HG, even if they suddenly turned good, made a mutually beneficial deal with Big West, brought us high quality products at low cost, and gave us each a kitten.

Wait!!!!!

ok , ok ,ok ,ok ....

let me get this straight ....

Does the kitten come with Fast Pack or not ? is it 1/48 ? cause if its not then I´ll have to bash about it you know :lol::rolleyes::D

Oh , I almost forgot it : will the kitten come with a BW or a HG logo on it ? :blink:

Excluding U.S. domestic releases, I own the following Japanese releases:

Laser Discs

Macross: DYRL? Perfect Edition LD Box Set

Macross 7 TV LDs 1 - 13

Macross 7 Encore

Macross 7 Movie

Macross Dynamite 7 1 - 4

DVDs

Macross DYRL Perfect Edition

Macross Flashback 2012

Macross II Collection/Special Box

Macross Plus DVD Box Set 1 & 2

Macross 7 1 - 13

Macross 7 Encore

Macross 7 Movie

Macross Dynamite 7 1 & 2

Macross 20th Anniversary

Macross Zero 1 - 4

Well, currently I'm up to three legit releases for DYRL.

The Perfect Edition LD, the English Dub LD and the R2 DVD.

That being said, I don't think it's completely fair to come down too hard on people living in a different region coded area where the title is not availible and who can't understand Japanese when they buy a bootleg. Now if they still buy the bootleg when there is a release availible in their region, well, that's a whole 'nother story.

Least we forget that owning a region free DVD player is also against the law, at least in most countries. And living in Japan, I'm no exception to that rule. In other words, my pot is just as black as your kettle. :D

I have the VHS of "Clash of the biorrrrrrr...." (yeah, that one <_< )

no thanks to HG

plus a number of fansubs (No thanks to BW)

and a company sabotaging a fandom sure won't get anything from me

it's easier to get Macross® products than RT products here in europe

always has been that way

so where does the "international" stand for in HG's License?

What did Kawamori (and Bandai Visual) say when they were at Anime Expo when they were here?

Shoji Kawamori personally asked us to buy Macross Zero. He was asking us to support them.

Who should we support? The people who made Macross or those who take it, screw it up and then call it their own?

I say we boycott Harmony Gold and buy Big West's official products.

If anyone needs some help aquiring official Macross items-just ask. I will help.

If Kawamori wanted me to buy his product, why doesn't he make it easier? Even if he can't release state-side, he could still make a region free disk we could import. Even better, that would have real translations.

By not doing this, Kawamori and Bandai Visual are telling me they do not want my business. This is why I don't bother to buy R2 copies and instead patronize bootleggers.

I have no problem with giving HG my money if they make a product I want.

I believe that if Kawamori had his way, there'd be a plethora of well translated subtitle options to choose from, so that anyone in the world could enjoy his work. I'd love to have my work available to the entire world, and being able to support myself off of it would be icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, I doubt corporate types see it this way. An extra expense they could do without. Understandable, from a business point of view.

True it would add more expense to the production of the product. Though if they did add english subs to the R2 releases(I would love that) it would make importing the R2 versions much more viable. One would just have to worry about being able to play it. On PC, dvd-roms have gone down in price. If I'm not mistake a dvd-writer can go from anywhere to 180/200 to 500. I would think that a normal dvd-rom would be much cheaper. For an investment if you were planning to buy more then on import if it had english subs it would be worth the price. Just set its region to 2 and there you go.

I wouldn't mind doing that to be honest. It would honestly greatly increase the chances of importing in my opinion. Though I'm no expert and not sure how many people would go through this. Though it really isn't a lot of trouble to go through to be honest.

Least we forget that owning a region free DVD player is also against the law, at least in most countries.

No it isn't. Where on earth did you get such a idea?

If HG released them, I'd buy them and I;d be boasting. Why not? I'd be happy to finally have actual dvds with english subtitles instead of having only ever being able to watch them through digisubs on a computer.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong on this, but, at least in America, under the DMCA, I thought the modifying and or circumventing of any mechanical or electronic protection scheme (no matter how small or lame) was now considered a crime. Not to mention reverse-engineering, which is how chips allowing for region-free play can be made, is specifically outlawed.

Again, as I say, I would like to be proven wrong. Anybody?

Here's a link to the EFF Testimony in 2000

Actually only this sentence is really relevent from the above. "

The licensing terms imposed on DVD technology prevent player manufacturers from offering people the ability to bypass the region codes. The same terms prevent players from making noninfringing copies on traditional VHS tapes or computer hard drives for personal or educational use. People who have attempted to eliminate these restrictions, by making competing DVD players from legitimate reverse-engineering rather than by signing a license, have been sued and enjoined -- under the DMCA -- by major movie studios."

Edited by LePoseur

I didn't vote as there was no choice that fit me.

I would probably buy an HG DYRL and M7 DVD only if they were subbed and the character names, BGM and songs remained completely unchanged. Also, they must be titled as 'Macross' products, not branded 'Robotech'.

I own the following original Japanese R2 DVDs: -

Macross Plus vol. 1-4.

Macross Zero vol. 1-4.

DYRL

FB 2012

I own the following original R1 DVDs and VHS: -

Macross Plus vol. 1-4 (DVD & VHS)

Macross Plus Movie (DVD)

Macross II vol 1-6 (DVD & VHS).

SDF Macross (AnimEgo DVD).

I own the following DVD boots and fansub VHS: -

Macross 7 (DVD boot and fansub VHS).

Dynamite 7 (DVD boot & fansub VHS).

DYRL (DVD boot & fansub VHS).

Macross Zero 1-3 (DVD Boot).

Graham

I don't think they would change anything...they already have Robotech...why bother dubbing DYRL and confusing the heck out of people...they aren't stupid...they KNOW their target audience...they are just now beginning to let's say, play it smartly.

By releasing DYRL and Mac 7 uncut and in their original form with subs...they'd make me happy. It'd certainly make up for the VFX2 and Toycom fiascos. But that's just me...I know some people will damn them to hell no matter what happens.

Edited by Gaijin

It'd certainly make up for the VFX2 and Toycom fiascos. But that's just me...I know some people will damn them to hell no matter what happens.

I don't think it would really "make up" for anything, but it would be a huge step in the right direction, provided they went through all the proper channels and released with with BW's and Kawamori's blessing. Now, helping the release of Yamato, Bandai, and other Macross merchandise over here, instead of hindering such releases, that would go a long way towards making up for past grievances.

You're right, though. Too many people have decided to label HG as Evil, no matter what they do. However, I think at this point in time they have ample reason to be angry as we've yet to see HG prove itself to be acting in the interest of the Macross franchise and it's fans.

I don't think they would change anything...they already have Robotech...why bother dubbing DYRL and confusing the heck out of people...they aren't stupid...they KNOW their target audience...

I dunno, have you read the RT.com forums? These are the same fans who are talking about other anime series that HG could hack into Robotech.

I don't think they would change anything...they already have Robotech...why bother dubbing DYRL and confusing the heck out of people...they aren't stupid...they KNOW their target audience...they are just now beginning to let's say, play it smartly.

Because if HG released a dub of DYRL (not even using RT cast) and sub version, the dub would utterly slaughter the sub version in sales.

Releasing DYRL bilingual is the only way to ensure maximum sales, and unlike the original series HG doesn't have what it considers to be a dub versions (RT) to afford going sub only.

Cyc

If they released Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada with subs only, why wouldn't they do the same with DYRL? why would they change it this time to dubs?

I don't get it?

I'd buy 'em. I always buy a legit release except when:

1.) The bootleg has an extra feature (deleted scence, uncut, special BTS, etc.)

2.) The picture and sound are better.

3.) There is an English sub available on the boot and not the legit release.

It seems to me that they do want to try and keep them seperate. They have enough Robotech to keep their RT fans busy. I doubt Macross 7 would be welcomed by RT fans, no matter what they did to it. But keeping DYRL and 7 as what they are would be a welcome sight for me.

If they did dub DYRL, I'm sure it'd be a bilingual DVD...and even if they did, I think it will just be a dub of DYRL in the Macross world, no RT crossover/storyline.

This will be one interesting thing to watch.

If they released Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada with subs only, why wouldn't they do the same with DYRL? why would they change it this time to dubs?

I don't get it?

Because dubbed Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada would be competitors against their Robotech releases - DYRL has no such conflict.

Yes, I would buy a HG Macross 7 but if only the voice actors for Max & Miriya(Robotech version) would reprised their roles. Also, no damned narrator!!! I'm not stupid I don't need a walkthrough a tv show; sheesh......... ;) I also wonder if HG could be able to link DYRL into Robotech. Maybe Macross 7 but I don't know about DYRL.

Yes, I would buy a HG Macross 7 but if only the voice actors for Max & Miriya(Robotech version) would reprised their roles. Also, no damned narrator!!! I'm not stupid I don't need a walkthrough a tv show; sheesh......... ;) I also wonder if HG could be able to link DYRL into Robotech. Maybe Macross 7 but I don't know about DYRL.

I think Reba would be the deal breaker for me - if she's in, then I'm in.

I think Reba would be the deal breaker for me - if she's in, then I'm in.

yeah. Reba can voice Mylene.

:lol::lol::lol: