The Chronicles of Riddick

Is Riddick being handled by the same director who helmed PITCH BLACK?

I really liked PITCH BLACK when I caught it on cable a couple of years ago. Excellent cinematography, chilling storyline, TOTAL cult classic, and a great anti-hero. I hope all of this isn't lost in the new installment.......and since we're on the subject of Vin Diesel. I heard that he's coming back for FAST AND FURIOUS 3 (this time without Keanu Reeves). :lol:

I really liked PITCH BLACK when I caught it on cable a couple of years ago. Excellent cinematography, chilling storyline, TOTAL cult classic, and a great anti-hero. I hope all of this isn't lost in the new installment.......and since we're on the subject of Vin Diesel. I heard that he's coming back for FAST AND FURIOUS 3 (this time without Keanu Reeves). :lol:

Keanu Reeves? :huh: I don't get it.

Pitch Black seemed pretty cool, never saw the whole thing though. I heard it was based off a guy's script for Alien 3 which got rejected.

I will see this movie. Pitch Black was surprisingly good. Reprising the character is a good idea IMO.

From the recent trend of movies, I've created this "formula" on whether or not I should go see a movie (Doesn't work for all movies, but most).

Promising movie trailer = Crappy movie

"Horrible" movie trailer = Good (if not decent) movie

Take Van Helsing for instance. It looked promising and yet it sucked. Terminator 3 looked like it would suck, but it turned out to be a good movie (imo anyway). Troy looked promising, and yet all I've been hearing are negative comments. So....

When I heard they were coming out with this movie, I was stoked. Then I saw the trailer and it looked kinda horrible (imo). Thefore I'm looking forward to seeing this movie!

From the recent trend of movies, I've created this "formula" on whether or not I should go see a movie (Doesn't work for all movies, but most).

I could never follow that formula. Following that formula would have me watching crap like The Mask 2, Cheaper by the Dozen, New York Minute...need I go on? :p

As for Riddick, I really have a hard time stomaching Vin Diesel, but the movie looks interesting enough to at least merit a rental.

Edited by eriku

I could never follow that formula. Following that formula would have me watching crap like The Mask 2, Cheaper by the Dozen, New York Minute...need I go on? :p

As for Riddick, I really have a hard time stomaching Vin Diesel, but the movie looks interesting enough to at least merit a rental.

Lol, wasn't supposed to be taken seriously :p

BUT...take a look at another example. :p Bad Santa. It looked funny from the trailers. I saw it and it turned out to be one of the lamest movies ever (again imo). I dunno. I'm just tired of these promising movies turning out crap...and all of these movies that ppl think will suck actually turning out good. It just amazes me. I mean what's wrong with that picture?

This new installment of Riddick's adventures are being done by the same creative crew that handled Pitch Black, if I remember rightly. I know that director David Twohy's name is on the writing credits for both flicks. I can't wait to see it.

I got nothing against Vin Diesel per se, but I'm suprised how many of you are claiming to have liked Pitch Black. Pitch Black is definately in my list of top 10 dumbest movies of all time. Which is why, even though the previews for Chronicles of Riddick look decent, I won't dare see it in the theater.

Then again, Oihan, I thought Van Helsing was fine Not spectacular, but mindlessly entertaining. Meanwhile, I thought Terminator 3 was a mockery of a film that ignored... nay, spit on... the message in the first two Terminators... thus earning another spot on my top 10 dumbest movies ever list.

The best part of Saving Private Ryan was when Diesel got capped!

That was one of my favorite scenes too.

Caparzo - "Duhh...She reminds me of my niece sir. Duhh...Captain the decent thing to do is atleast to take her down the road to the next town."

*BANG*

The big dumb ape dies.

Audience- "Yayyyy!

LOL... for the Vin-haters, how disappointed were you when they showed him in the middle of this awesome trailer.

Cool spaceships!

Cool hot alien queen Thandie!

Cool it's M as not so hot alien queen!

Awww... it's riddick. <_<

Not a big fan of Pitch Black, but this looks like it one of those that take advantage of the main actors that can't act, as in Pulp Fiction and the Matrix... will possible checkit out, unless I hear really bad stuff. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about this movie or it's story but I have a few questions for those who may know already:

Is this movie supposed to take place before or after the events in Pitch Black? This new movie has a design style (what with all the highly stylized armor and such) that clashes horribly with the one they established in Pitch Black. PB had this sort of Alien meets Blade Runner sort of "post modern" thing going on. People still used projectile guns, still wore very normal looking clothes and uniforms, still had a very 20th century feel to them. The new movie has this bizzare organic Stargate ultra distopian medival crazy nuts thing going on and I'm not sure why...

If you listen closely to the backstory of Riddick in PB he pretty much lets us know he is a hardened criminal who did a lot of very nasty, very illegal things and got thrown in a super high security prison from which he got his eyes and then escaped. He was then promptly captured by the eyeball morphine injecting asswipe rent-a-cop who gets eaten up really good in PB. So I'm taking a huge leap that the new movie has to take place after the first one... but then you have the end of PB when Riddick, the kid and Keith David escape they declare Riddick "dead" on the planet so he can live a supposed newfound life of good. How is it that he continues on his merry way apparently still under the same name? PB made it seem like he was the most wanted man in the galaxy and that the cops would be down on him like ten thousand elephants if he ever popped up alive... or is that supposed to be the premise of the new movie?

I don't know much about this movie or it's story but I have a few questions for those who may know already:

Is this movie supposed to take place before or after the events in Pitch Black? This new movie has a design style (what with all the highly stylized armor and such) that clashes horribly with the one they established in Pitch Black. PB had this sort of Alien meets Blade Runner sort of "post modern" thing going on. People still used projectile guns, still wore very normal looking clothes and uniforms, still had a very 20th century feel to them. The new movie has this bizzare organic Stargate ultra distopian medival crazy nuts thing going on and I'm not sure why...

If you listen closely to the backstory of Riddick in PB he pretty much lets us know he is a hardened criminal who did a lot of very nasty, very illegal things and got thrown in a super high security prison from which he got his eyes and then escaped. He was then promptly captured by the eyeball morphine injecting asswipe rent-a-cop who gets eaten up really good in PB. So I'm taking a huge leap that the new movie has to take place after the first one... but then you have the end of PB when Riddick, the kid and Keith David escape they declare Riddick "dead" on the planet so he can live a supposed newfound life of good. How is it that he continues on his merry way apparently still under the same name? PB made it seem like he was the most wanted man in the galaxy and that the cops would be down on him like ten thousand elephants if he ever popped up alive... or is that supposed to be the premise of the new movie?

Yeah... how many times do they think we're gonna fall for the ol' "We originally scripted it as a trilogy, we're just glad we're gonna get the oppurtunity to tell the story as it's suppose to be told" BS?

Just film a good show, overcharge us, and STFU Hollywood!!! :rolleyes:

I got nothing against Vin Diesel per se, but I'm suprised how many of you are claiming to have liked Pitch Black. Pitch Black is definately in my list of top 10 dumbest movies of all time. Which is why, even though the previews for Chronicles of Riddick look decent, I won't dare see it in the theater.

Then again, Oihan, I thought Van Helsing was fine Not spectacular, but mindlessly entertaining. Meanwhile, I thought Terminator 3 was a mockery of a film that ignored... nay, spit on... the message in the first two Terminators... thus earning another spot on my top 10 dumbest movies ever list.

To each his or her own. :p

Well, according to some of the people who have seen an advanced screening of this movie already, Riddick has supposedly given up his old ways because of Fry's sacrificing herself saving his life at the end of PB. The events in the movie take place 5 years later. And the two opposing factions must not be part of Earth's people, which would explain the difference in technologies. The bald headed girl who idolized Riddick is supposed to be grown up now and is some sort of psychotic killing machine. And the Imam is back also. Both actors from the original film are reprising those roles.

It looks like an alien force has moved in and basically enslaves planet after planet, that is, until they meet Riddick...

oh, yeah, I gonig to see it :)

i never saw pitch black, but it seemed like it had a good plot and a lot of suspense going for it.

i think riddick is going to be an action cash in with a "serious plot" only second to the fantastic computer animated sequences and gunplay.

so i think it'll be forgettable.

Pitch Black and T3 are on your top 10 dumbest movies of all time? Are you from the Bizzaro World? LoL

Pitch Black was sweet, the only thing I didn't like about it was that the video looked way washed out at times. Maybe it was the disk I borrowed... Other than that, very interesting and fun to watch. T3 went and basically FIXED the paradoxes created in T2, and I think it was better than T2 in many ways. For some reason, I find the lovey dovey T-800 not to my liking. Not to mention my dislike for the internal monologue of Sarah. Personally, I like all the movies. I think that T3 does a perfect job of fixing continuity problems/paradoxes of the 2nd film, while leaving it open for T4 so that they can bring the series' full circle. I'm glad James Cameron doesn't seem to be interested in good movies anymore... so I don't have to worry about T4 being underwater or something. :)

The video on PB was intended to be washed out. They ran the whole section when the actors where "under the suns" through several filters and post processes to give the film this high desert sort of washed out sun baked feel. So unless the copy you had was messed up and made this worse that was the way the film was supposed to be in a lot of spots.

I myself liked the stylized sun baked look the early scenes of the movie had, it really put the "heat" on the feel of the movie.

The video on PB was intended to be washed out. They ran the whole section when the actors where "under the suns" through several filters and post processes to give the film this high desert sort of washed out sun baked feel. So unless the copy you had was messed up and made this worse that was the way the film was supposed to be in a lot of spots.

I myself liked the stylized sun baked look the early scenes of the movie had, it really put the "heat" on the feel of the movie.

Well, it was a love-hate type deal... I kinda liked it, but at some parts it seemed overbearing.

Speaking of post-production filter effects...

Does anyone know if they plan to include more of that sort of thing in the new movie? I have not seen anything in the commercials to show they are... the blown out sun baked look for the desert scenes and the crazy black and white streaky "hammerhead bug vision" from the first movie were sort of kitchy and neat... kind of like predator vision from predator.

Guessing that the hammerhead things are not in the new movie their unique vision most likely will not be present...

well, HHH is coming out

Who could have guessed... :p

Actually, in a thread about Vin Diesel you got the wrong guy if you're talking about HHH being a queen. Vin's been rumored to be a bit light in the loafers for years.

As for the washed out effect in PB, I read in an interview that Twohy was using a relatively cheap way of processing the film to achieve the effect of "other worldliness" since he didn't have a huge budget at all for a scifi flick. I doubt you'll see much of it in this film, because it's probably not on the same planet... who knows, though. Another great use of that washed out film process is in Three Kings.

I'll definitely see this one... I loved PB for a fun lil' action flick and it's always funny seeing Dame Judy Dench in a movie with no Merchant or Ivory involved.

Thought PB was an OK movie, not great, but I've no regrets about renting it on DVD. Probably would have been a bit disappointed if I'd have paid money to see it at the theatre tho.

As for Riddick, I'll do the same and rent it on DVD when it becomes available, unles it gets super fantastic reviews then I'll go see it at the theatre.

However, with little Roy about to eject from his cockpit, I think my movie going days are gonna be on hold for quite a while.

Graham