A Spartan is Born

THOR

Hello Everyone,

My dream back when I was a boy was to have a 1/35th scale destroid to build. Well, 20 years later, I've decided to put my Bridgeport to work and make my dream a reality. The going is slow since I'm cranking the Bridgeport by hand. What you see is a month's worth of weekends and nights. I'll never do this again!!!! I'll send my cad files to the CNC and crank out the parts in a few days.

Tell me what you think....

:)

Thor

post-3-1084511253_thumb.jpg

Edited by THOR

On the left is a 1/35th Gasaraki Raiden, it's operator, and a 1/32 kawasaki zx-12r. On the right is a 1/35th Tamiya Bradley IFV

post-3-1084512116_thumb.jpg

Edited by THOR

Last picture... I'm bringing this thing to Wonderfest to show a few of my friends what I've been up to.

As far as a different scale, I can make any size since I first made Solidworks (3D) engineering drawings. I can take the solid model and scale it to any size and have my 5-axis CNC router make the parts.

I'd have to find out how much a license would cost from Harmony Gold/Big West if I were to sell kits... Which is another dream of mine....

post-3-1084512934_thumb.jpg

Edited by THOR

Last picture...  I'm bringing this thing to Wonderfest to show a few of my friends what I've been up to. 

As far as a different scale, I can make any size since I first made Solidworks (3D) engineering drawings.  I can take the solid model and scale it to any size and have my 5-axis CNC router make the parts. 

I'd have to find out how much a license would cost from Harmony Gold/Big West if I were to sell kits...  Which is another dream of mine....

Harmony Gold, Big West? I think if you sold them privately to people like us on the board or through hobbyfan.com no one is gonna bother you. I don't think Cobywan ever got a cease and desist order from anybody when he made the Lancer II.

Edited by Grayson72

I'm dedicating this project to my father who passed away recently. He liked the Spartan the best. I'll finish it for next year's WonderFest. He might have a few buddies by then...

My goal is to make all of the joints work/move. Right now I just wanted to have something to look at to keep me going. I wanted all the doors to open, individual missiles/gun cluster, and a complete cockpit. Oh, and I plan to make the fingers poseable. I'll probably make the battle-mace and the GU-11 gun pod from the Veritechs...

Good night all. See you at WonderFest if you're going.

My router pic...

post-3-1084513700_thumb.jpg

Wow, :)

So you program the 3d model into the computer, and the router carves it? Ive not seen that before, so excuse my ignorance :)

SWEET!

I am also VERY curious as to how your computer drawings and the router interact... Would you be willing to share more details?

BTW... so this is made out of wood right now? What kind? And are you going to use the carvings to make molds for resin? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, but I would love to get knowledged. :D

BTW... so this is made out of wood right now? What kind? And are you going to use the carvings to make molds for resin? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, but I would love to get knowledged.  :D
Hey! I was gonna ask that! <_< Anyways, looks beautiful THOR!!! Please show us progressive pics of your project. I wonder how it's gonna look like with all the bells and whistles?

This thing looks great in person! I got to meet Thor and have a look at his Spartan WIP at Wonderfest this last weekend, and I gotta say, it is gonna be one beautiful kit when he gets done with it.

I'm sure as hell gonna buy one or two.

Edited by gnollman

Hey guys!!

Just got back from Wonderfest and the enthusiasm for my project was great. I'm glad everyone liked my work so far.

I've been using "butterboard" from GoldenWest Mfg. The butterboard cuts like a dream. John Mascoto was using something similar in his Legioss project. It's basically a resin they pour into sheets. My stuff looks like wood a little because of lines caused by a dull end mill tool. I just sand the bumps down and it looks very smooth.

A Bridgeport is a milling machine. It's basically a very precise drill press with a base that moves back-forth and t0-fro. I can use all kinds of special tools on it to make all kinds of shapes. The Bridgeport I'm using is not automatic. I still have to clamp the butterboard down and crank the base back and forth under the spinning tool. This takes loads of time.

I'll post some pics of my engineering drawings. I did them first in AutoCAD 2000 in 2D. I then made a few of the parts 3D by extruding the parts to the depth I wanted.

The CNC machine I will use in the future runs off of IDEAS. I can import my AutoCAD or SolidWorks 3D images in as .stl files. IDEAS has a fabulous CAD/CAM software package which will write all the G-code for the CNC router in mere seconds. Once the G-code is written (basic directions telling the router where to move and how fast to move), the info is snt to the router and the router starts cutting.

I plan to do the Tomahawk, Phalanx, and Defender with the CNC. They will be very easy to do since they share the same basic waist/legs.

Hey guys!!

Just got back from Wonderfest and the enthusiasm for my project was great.  I'm glad everyone liked my work so far. 

I've been using "butterboard" from GoldenWest Mfg.  The butterboard cuts like a dream.  John Mascoto was using something similar in his Legioss project.  It's basically a resin they pour into sheets.  My stuff looks like wood a little because of lines caused by a dull end mill tool.  I just sand the bumps down and it looks very smooth.

A Bridgeport is a milling machine.  It's basically a very precise drill press with a base that moves back-forth and t0-fro.  I can use all kinds of special tools on it to make all kinds of shapes.  The Bridgeport I'm using is not automatic.  I still have to clamp the butterboard down and crank the base back and forth under the spinning tool.  This takes loads of time.

I'll post some pics of my engineering drawings.  I did them first in AutoCAD 2000 in 2D.  I then made a few of the parts 3D by extruding the parts to the depth I wanted.

The CNC machine I will use in the future runs off of IDEAS.  I can import my AutoCAD or SolidWorks 3D images in as .stl files.  IDEAS has a fabulous CAD/CAM software package which will write all the G-code for the CNC router in mere seconds.  Once the G-code is written (basic directions telling the router where to move and how fast to move), the info is snt to the router and the router starts cutting.

I plan to do the Tomahawk, Phalanx, and Defender with the CNC.  They will be very easy to do since they share the same basic waist/legs.

Hey cool, my dad owns a mechanical engineering company and has lots of CNC mills and lathes. He's got this one mill that's huge, it's got a 6 x 10 foot table with a Z axis attachement and a 20 tool holder with, I think, a Fanuc controller. The thing is massive.

He can send autocad files remotely from the inspection lab to any of the CNC machines out in the shop.

That and about 5 diehard bridgeports, they're the best.

Edited by Grayson72

Hello,

Here's my Spartan at WonderFest. My buddies were so impressed with my Spartan they asked me to put it out on their vendors table (Kaiju Modeler). It looks hilarious amidst all of those Godzilla's kits.

Hey Grayson!

You have to convince your dad to show you how to design some basic 3D shapes if you don't already know how. Maybe he'd let you make some Macross kit parts during downtime on some of the machines.

:D

post-3-1084846884_thumb.jpg

Man I would love to get your destroid kits when you finish them.... Great work!

And thanks for the info on the process you use...

Please keep posting updates and pics!

EDIT: I would have to agree with Neova... 1/48 scale to match my valks would be optimum. Bet hey, what ever scale you make them, I would still like to see them finished. :D

Edited by rocco_77

Hi THOR

Nice model, Can you tell me more about the butterboard? I´m interested in this material, maybe it will help me to finish my model faster. Is it specially designed for CNC? or it can be sanded like a MDF board?

Thanks, and congratulations, our projects are almost the same scale :rolleyes: maybe when they are finished we can exchange one. :)

http://www.goldenwestmfg.com/html/machineable.html

P.O. BOX 1148

CEDAR RIDGE, CA 95924 USA

PHONE: 530-272-1133 FAX: 530-272-1070

(Ask for free samples)

Hello Macross Modeling!

Your VF-1 looks fabulous!!!! I would love to exchange copies of our projects once we are finished. It will take me 1-2 months to complete my kit as I'm in the middle of changing jobs.

I put the link up above where I get my "butterboard". It machines and sands wonderfully. I'm hooked on this stuff. It is expensive, though. I bought a sheet 12" x 24" x 2" thick for $100. I'm going to look at other materials like this to see if I can get better pricing. It cuts nicely with my table saw, radial arm saw, drill/end mill bits, band saw, jig saw, and dremel. If GoldenWest doesn't give you free samples for some strange reason, I can send you some bits and pieces I've saved.

Keep up the great work!!!!

:)

-Thor

Finally got around to checking out this thread. Your project does look great! Do you mind if I cross-link some of your images to another thread? I've been collecting pictures of Macross toys/models placed next to other toys/models in (near) identical scale.

I understand why you chose 1/35, by the way--it's a standard tank/AFV scale, right? It's interesting (although frustrating) how different scales became standard for different subjects.

Edited by ewilen

WOW!

Compared to the PCJ, the Person and that Bradley, that thing is huge!

Full scale mecha = win!

:D

Edit: It's even bigger than Godzilla!!

Edited by mbs357