New and Improved 1/60

Uxi

I don't mean resculpt the 1/48 in 1/60 scale (though that would be really cool IMO!), but add tweaks like the airbrake, flaps (though i'd prefer seperate flaps and ailerons). removable radome, intake covers (with intake detail under, of course), and backpack antenna to the exiting 1/60 sculpt for future releases (and/or re-releases).

I was playing around with my Hikaru Super VF-1J and noticed there shouldnt' be anything about the smaller size that would negate the possibility. Hell, even Bandai 1/55's could have the airbrake. Same with the intake/turbine detail and the intake covers. Even the telescoping feet could be done on 1/60 sized legs, though naturally that would involve resculpting and retooling them. Though that would lead into just using the 1/48 design at 1/60 scale. Which I wouldn't disaprove of, either.

This naturally assumes the 1/60 line is not dead after the Q-rau.

Any thoughts?

The biggest thing Yamato could have done for the 1/60s was to make the hip attachment point with a solid spring-loaded lock... you know, so that when you slide in the two pegs they would actually "click" and "lock in place" for a secure fit. And then a simple button underneath which you can press to release the legs. Relying on pure FRICTION to hold such weighty pieces of diecast together was... the cheapest possible and least imaginative engineering solution one could employ. And it was undoubtably a sign of their capabilities back THEN.

The 1/60 Valks are done. There will be no expense spared for any more "improvements", not when they're making money hand over fist from the 1/48's.

well i still play around with my 1/60...i'm probably not suppose to but oh well...and if you made the toy a "perfect transformable" wouldn't the swing bar interfer with poses? i HAD a bandai re-issue and i couldn't do anything do it...but with the yamato i was able to put it into all these cool poses and stuff...and these figures are more or less made to be like "moving statues" like the gundam perfect grade series of model kits (i would really like to see a PG of a valk before i die) i mean come on, give the poor yamato guys some credit...the figures are probably some of the best representations of the valks there is right now...and maybe someday(like in the next 10-? years) yamato will make those improvements....anyways, enough with my ranting :D

I for one would not like to see Yamato release a retooled and improved, gimmick laden, perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1.

Good grief.....just imagine having to purchase all those VF-1 variants in 1/60 scale yet again! I don't think either my wallet, display cabinet or wife would stand for it. :angry:

Personally, I'm happy with the 1/48 VF-1.

Don't worry, I'm sure Yamato will will incorporate lessons learned and features from the 1/48 line in the upcoming VF-0 line.

Graham

Yamato has already improved the 1/60 quite a bit since they first released the VF-1A Hikaru. Their last releases even had colapsible handled Gunpods. I would much reather they release a series of fast pack upgrade kits to the various VF-1s than to re-release the entire line with all the latest improvements. My wish list for un upgrade kit would be as follows:

1. inner left and right arm halves to discard the need for that filler piece that was included with all the early VF-1s (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1A Max, VF-1S and Strike, VF-1A CF, VF-1J Hikaru)

2. outer left and right arm halves to match above's armor slots (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1A Max, VF-1S, VF-1J)

3. colapsible Gunpod (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1A Max, VF-1S and Strike, VF-1A CF, VF-1J)

4. backpack outer carapace with the booster mounting slots (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1A Max, VF-1S, VF-1A CF)

5. left and right air-intake/thy pieces to eliminate the gap in the early Valks. (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1A Max, VF-1S)

6. left and right lower legs with pre-drilled fast pack slots (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1A Max, VF-1S)

7. just in case I forgot anything. :p

All above upgrades should be available as model specific packages since not all Valkaries require the same amount of redress parts.

Just my 2 cents :)

Didn't Yamato let it slip in that forcast a while back that 1/72 VF-0 would be perfect transformation?

No re-tooling of the 1/60 valks. We put too much money in it already. Much more so for some people than me. If anything use the leesons learned from the 1/48 and such when designing the next valks they release, which they seem to be doing anyway. For when they were initially designed the 1/60's were well done, and we were all in joy for them for the most part like we are now for the 1/48's. They were good, nicely detailed, and reasonably priced. The Elint and Super O came out pretty good even, though I admit I have yet to buy either. I still wouldn't mind seeing a Hikaru Strike for the finale of the line.

Maybe for the 30th anniversary someone will come out with Perfect Transformation 1/60's, and some of us might upgrade then for some of the valks we don't buy in 1/48.

Edited by Anubis

Why should Yamato be stuck on one size/scale? If the 1/48 are the "Perfect Grade" of their Macross line (in price, size, and quantity), why not have another line thats more affordable, etc? The 1/48 is incredible, and I love mine, but far to expensive (and even a bit too large) to compete with the 1/60 in any of those 3 quantities.

The trick is in the exact numbers, of course, but Yamato would best be served by having multiple lines aimed at different niches. A banpresto-esque line of minimal size and price, aimed mostly for the kiddies. Mid-level line (1/60). And high price, large line (1/48) for the collector (and baller). ;) The best possible detail and quality at each level would be desired, if not just for company pride, then simply to make sales they otherwise wouldn't.

Having one exclusive line (especially the 1/48) is just gonna leave some people by the wayside who would have bought less expensive and/or smaller versions.

Why should Yamato be stuck on one size/scale? If the 1/48 are the "Perfect Grade" of their Macross line (in price, size, and quantity), why not have another line thats more affordable, etc? The 1/48 is incredible, and I love mine, but far to expensive (and even a bit too large) to compete with the 1/60 in any of those 3 quantities.

The trick is in the exact numbers, of course, but Yamato would best be served by having multiple lines aimed at different niches. A banpresto-esque line of minimal size and price, aimed mostly for the kiddies. Mid-level line (1/60). And high price, large line (1/48) for the collector (and baller).  The best possible detail and quality at each level would be desired, if not just for company pride, then simply to make sales they otherwise wouldn't.

Having one exclusive line (especially the 1/48) is just gonna leave some people by the wayside who would have bought less expensive and/or smaller versions.

My sentiments exactly. Like Gundams, there should be a common man's scale,and then the big expensive beauties. I have never bought a Perfect Grade Gundam, but I do have Several MG kits, and a few HGUC's. It's good business sense to have different lines, so every one can buy at least something.

Same thing with Yamato. We're gobbling up the 1/48's now because in reality they kick ass. I have no intention of buying the entire line in 1/48 though. I have bought 2, and might get one more, depending on how the CF turns out, but that's it. Space and cost wise it makes more sense for me to buy a high quality smaller scale. Especially with all the stuff to come later. Next year will be expensive enough just buying 1/72's. I will be keeping my 1/60 FP Hikaru 1J, and CF.

The first time I saw the price of a 1/48 I said no f%$#*&* way. The cost/performance ratio of the 1/60's was better at the time for me. Since them I have caved and bought two anyway, but a high quality smaller scale will generally catch my eye first when shopping, since I can fit more of them on my shelves, easier on the wallet.