Wristwatch that transformed into Robots...

:lol: Hi, when I was younger, I remember buying something like that for myself. They were quite cool. I could remove the watch's body from the black plastic strap and play with it. It's was a digital watch that could transform into a robot. When I'm done playing with it, I can transform it back into a watch and install it onto the strap again. This was during the wondeful 80s.

The thing is, I don't know what Japanese anime show they were from. Or their names. I also do not have that watch anymore, so there are no pictures. Googling didn't help either. So sorry if I triggered any memories but leave you guys hanging. :p

Back then, I got it from a KFC (AKA Kentucky Fried Rat back then:P) meal giveaway. How and why the heck did I assume it's from a Japanese anime without even knowing you ask? It's pretty obvious don't you think, and back then, Japanese robots were EVERYWHERE. And I'm absolutely sure that it was quite a huge success considering that corporations like KFC even took that up as a nolvelty item to giveaway. I've also seen it in MANY various incarnations from originals to bootlegs. Forgive me if I'm proven otherwise.

He looks like cross breed between Gold Lightan (a lighter) and Rumble (cassette tape) of Transformers. But he's a digital wristwatch that transforms into a robot. How firggin' cool is that?

Please help me remember. B))

Holly crap I had one of those things!

It was burried on some twisted part of my brain, but I remember clearly the transformation after seing the pics :D

Edit: Click on the link on the post above to actually see the commercial for the toy! very funny IMHO! It is amazing how they inflate the features of the toy... the battle-station mode is the robot upside down... face his arms foward and he is a tank, or a time machine, or a solar creature... :p

Edited by Limbo

I remember that piece of crap. :lol:

It was burried on some twisted part of my brain, but I remember clearly the transformation after seing the pics :D

Edit: Click on the link on the post above to actually see the commercial for the toy! very funny IMHO! It is amazing how they inflate the features of the toy... the battle-station mode is the robot upside down... face his arms foward and he is a tank, or a time machine, or a solar creature... :p

where do you see the commercial? i saw like 3 screenshots form it but nothing to actually see the commercial

where do you see the commercial? i saw like 3 screenshots form it but nothing to actually see the commercial

At the very bottom of the article is a link to download the commercial.

Good lord...I remember that sorry excuse for a toy/watch from back in the day! I think it was featured in a Sears catalog back then as an Autobot Transformer. It looked like crap to me when I was a kid, and it looks like, well, cheesey crap now. Perhaps I'm mellowing in my age. :p

Thanks to Mechamaniac for the link and headshaking flashback.

I remember that. I think Mcdonalds was giving them away too with meals. I know I didn't get mine from KFC. That sucky watch got taken away from me by a teacher about a week or 2 after I got it for playing with it in class. Had to wait 9 months to get it back and by then I had lost interest. <_<

Holy freaking crap :ph34r:

Damn , I totally forgot about this toy until you opened this thread and that little memory cane out of that dark side of my brain.

To tell you the truth , I still think this things are pretty fun and awesome. :lol::unsure::blink:

Anyway , from what I remember I actually bought on of those Takara models , in fact, I remmeber having the black one (see the pics on the link).

ahhh the memories. :D

i think everyone in the US had ones of these things. all it took was one person to show up to school with it, then everyone had to have one. much like any other toys kids brought to school. :p

i wonder if someone has one that still works. ;)

My dad has one, probably a bootleg also based on those images, and quite rightly refused to let me wear with it or play with it much for fear I'd break it or lose it.

What? Just because I chewed on Thundercracker's nosecone ONCE doesn't mean I'd wreck another transforming toy...

Cyc

I actually had to deal with those not to long ago while selling a box of crap for a friend. One was red, one was black, and one was a little futuristic looking car that was a watch... couldn't give them away :lol: . I finally sold them in a lot with some "real" transformers

I had a red one! My brother had a red one too! That pseudo-watch was probably a huge worldwide hit!