Neon Genesis Evangelion

pfunk

Is this a pretty decent series? are thier any reviews around it? :)

Looking to get the series

yeah its an awesome series. or its a terrible series. depends on your view. do you like thought provoking story lines? do you like unconclusive endings? do you like focusing more on human relations rather than big bot mecha action? do you like just plain weird plot threads? if so then you must pick up this classic. if no then you should run away from this over-hyped series.

i msyelf love it and buy anything that is Eva.

Decent.

Do like me; chances are, you have a friend who already think's it's good enough to buy, so just borrow it off of him/her. If you see the whole thing and like it, then buy. ;)

cool, i think thats going to be the route Im going to go, if that dont come through, ill just endup buying the set

Thanks fellas

Eva is one of my favorite shows. Great stuff.

There's one other thing to consider here....

Eva is a good series, but the DVD's they released were awful. I think it was ADV that did them. I had the Champagne boxed set a while ago, and at least on the first DVD, every time the scene changed, the frame jumped. Either it went away by disk 2, or my eyes got used to it. I was talking to someone not too long ago who said that ADV was forced to re-issue at least one of the DVD's because of the crap quality.

All in all, it is a very good series, but the quality of the DVD's is not good, it looked more like VCD to me.

Of course, they have remedied that in their new re-mastered release that you can only get in Japan for about 400 bucks. :rolleyes:

my $0.02 is that it was great till the last 2 episodes. Then the movies came out which confused the hell outta me more till my friend tried to explain it. I was somewhat confused but I think some ppl MWers got me set straighter though it sparked some debate.

Regardless, I found it ok. When I was watching the first 20 episodes, I was like cool. Then it went downhill for me.

my $0.02 is that it was great till the last 2 episodes. Then the movies came out which confused the hell outta me more till my friend tried to explain it. I was somewhat confused but I think some ppl MWers got me set straighter though it sparked some debate.

Regardless, I found it ok. When I was watching the first 20 episodes, I was like cool. Then it went downhill for me.

Talk to Keith if you're confused. It allllll makes sense. I just don't feel like typing it and Keith is used to it.

Eva is a good series, but the DVD's they released were awful.  I think it was ADV that did them.  I had the Champagne boxed set a while ago, and at least on the first DVD, every time the scene changed, the frame jumped.

That's a general ADV problem. I've gotten that on a lot more of their releases than just NGE...

Which is one reason I generally prefer Bandai or Pioneer/Geneon releases....

Oh yeah... Eva rocks. I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed the TV ending, I think....

Edited by gnollman

Eva is a good series, but the DVD's they released were awful.  I think it was ADV that did them.  I had the Champagne boxed set a while ago, and at least on the first DVD, every time the scene changed, the frame jumped.

That's a general ADV problem. I've gotten that on a lot more of their releases than just NGE...

That jumping problem is a master problem with Eva even on the Japanese releases until they did the remaster a year or 2 back. It drives me crazy!

Its an allright show I never did find anything too "deep" to understand it seemed to be typical characters with big ass robots killing big ass angels the first half then they decided to put ALL the gundam teenage angst into the last 12 eps and top it off with 2 rather funny eps at the end solving the angst overdosage.

No I am not joking. I found it interesting but not worth purchasing when I can rent them.

As for the movies here is my opinion CRAP. Giant Evil tongue EVA's and inconsistant mecha scale with one cheap ass ending that accomplished nothing.

Whats with the directors cuts and the movie,,,should i get those also?

Haven't seen the directors cut, so can't speak to that. But on the movies...

Don't bother with the Re-Birth movie. Its just a recap of the series, and the first twenty minutes of the End of Evangelion movie. Not worth its price in my opinion.

but you must DEFINTELY get the End of Evangelion movie. It is a much easier to understand conclusion to the series than the last two episodes on the discs. That and you get to see the Unit Five EVA's which just plain kick ass. I won't spoil anything for you but Auska's battle in that movie is hands down the best combat scene from the whole Eva series. Its worth it to see that alone.

Its taken me three seperate viewings of Evangelion in order to come to an accomodation with it. Everyone has their own opinion on it; I've seen lots of people who love it and I can understand why; on the other hand I once heard someone completely demolish the series with their criticism and I could agree with a large part of what they said.

More than perhaps any other anime, what you think of Evangelion depends on you. However, while I'm not entirely in the "like" camp and not entirely in the "hate" camp, I do think its a classic anime. Very few anime have had the impact Evanegelion has; perhaps one or two a decade. I haven't seen anything quite like it since I first saw it, despite many attempts by others to emulate it.

One thing I do find odd is how rarely I see Evangelion regarded for its mecha show elements - my personal opinion is that Hideki Anno completely deconstructed the mecha show with Evangelion, to an extent thats made it very hard to get away with the old formula since - though someone had a very good try with Gundam SEED... :rolleyes:

Whats with the directors cuts and the movie,,,should i get those also?

Haven't seen the directors cut, so can't speak to that. But on the movies...

Don't bother with the Re-Birth movie. Its just a recap of the series, and the first twenty minutes of the End of Evangelion movie. Not worth its price in my opinion.

but you must DEFINTELY get the End of Evangelion movie. It is a much easier to understand conclusion to the series than the last two episodes on the discs. That and you get to see the Unit Five EVA's which just plain kick ass. I won't spoil anything for you but Auska's battle in that movie is hands down the best combat scene from the whole Eva series. Its worth it to see that alone.

I totally agree.

My recommended mode for watching Evangelion is to watch the first 24 episodes, then watch End of Evangelion. It makes SO much more sense that way despite the fact that as Bob Joe Mac said, the mechs in EoE all of the sudden appeared to be hundreds of feet tall whereas throughout the series, they weren't anywhere near that big. I really enjoyed the first 24 episodes, but the last two are like a giant run-on sentence that ultimately comes to no conclusion.

And also like BJM, I never found the series to be this life-altering, zen, existentialist thing that made me access areas of my brain I never knew existed. Everyone kept telling me, "oh, man, that series is SO DEEP, it's such a MIND frakk, You have to watch it at least 3 times to get all the nuances etc.

Sorry to disappoint those microcephali who thought that, because it is pretty much giant robot vs. giant monster fare until the last two episodes or EoE when everything gets trippy.

So, watch 1-24, then EoE...

And read these.....

http://www.evamonkey.com/faq_gamesekai1.htm

and these.....

http://www.evamonkey.com/faq_gamesekai2.htm

There's two sides of the Evangelion camp.

Those that think that people are stupid for not liking Evangelion and can't help being condescending.

and

Those that think that people are stupid for liking Evangelion and can't help being condescending.

Then there's people such as myself that are trapped in between them. Though I have had more trouble with the latter (simply because I like the show and I get accused of being in the first camp which I am not... ).

I disagree. Personally, I enjoyed the two movies, i.e. Death&Rebirth and EoE. If you don't want to bother going thru the entire TV series just watch D&R, and then enjoy the mindf*ck that is EoE. ;)

If you can, rent the first volume DVD from ADV films. The first two episodes are excellent, the opening and BGMs are outstanding. If you still like the series, buy the DVD box. And if you want to see Evangelion the way it should be, then buy the japanese remastered DVDs. I only have the first volume and it is INCREDIBLE!!!! Just by listening the opening theme in DD 5.1 you knew it was worth the price. The animation is flawless, colors are vivid, sound is in DD 5.1, the only problem is that there are no english subtitles :( ( I forgot to add that it is also Region 2)

The show has a great premise, and a great setup. But, all shows are only as good as their ending, and IMO EVA did not have a good ending(s). The show's creators simply couldn't solve it. That was the feeling I got after I had viewed the series and EoE movie. And because of an inferior ending, it also makes repeat viewings of the series that more difficult.

The best advice is to rent/borrow the series as others as said, and decide what you want to do from there.

before you do anything rash like dropping about $180 to purchase the entire series i suggest you borrow it off a friend and watch it first

sometimes you will tend to disagree with the hype i did in this case.

i personally think its a gawd awful series but that's just me.

i guess it had its moments but nothing could make up for the last two episodes horrible absolutely horrible. i wasted an hour of my life watching those 2 episodes and alot more watching the others.

it made me want to sell the 4 SOC evas i bought prior to seeing the anime

definately not my cup of tea.

IMO :)

There's two sides of the Evangelion camp.

Those that think that people are stupid for not liking Evangelion and can't help being condescending.

and

Those that think that people are stupid for liking Evangelion and can't help being condescending.

Then there's people such as myself that are trapped in between them. Though I have had more trouble with the latter (simply because I like the show and I get accused of being in the first camp which I am not... ).

That sums it up pretty nicely. Sometimes it's hard to like (or dislike) something and not get caught in the hardcore haters and lovers...

And Evangelion is one of those series that polarizes a great many people... love it or hate it... it definitely causes pretty strong emotions from viewers.

How many other anime can you say that about?

That sums it up pretty nicely. Sometimes it's hard to like (or dislike) something and not get caught in the hardcore haters and lovers...

And Evangelion is one of those series that polarizes a great many people... love it or hate it... it definitely causes pretty strong emotions from viewers.

How many other anime can you say that about?

macross 7 :D