Final Countdown DVD - March 30th!

Vifam7

Anyone here excited about the special edition Final Countdown DVD release coming out at the end of this month?

Just wondering since folks here love the F14 Tomcat. And this movie features actual F14's from VF-84 "Jolly Rogers". :)

There's a nice preview review of the DVD here .

After suffering with the bootleg Pacific Home Entertainment DVD, I can't wait to get my hands on this.

------

Vifam7

Cool! But I would kill to see it on the big screen!

As the resident old dude here on MW, I have to brag that I actually saw this movie at a theater when I was 15 years old. I thought it was so cool watching that Japanese Zero get zapped by that Tomcat.

I am really happy this movie is coming out now. Another flick I will enjoy watching over and over again.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see this movie meself till it was on HBO in 1983? I did read the book however.......before I saw the movie. Martin Caidin wrote the book and there may be copies floating around out there someplace still.

Just found out that my GF likes this movie alot.

Who knew?

:blink:

The last time I saw this movie was on TV, and the image quality was so horrible that I thought this was the worst shot film ever!!! I'm not talking about the visual effects shot, but just the normal looking shots. But, after looking at some of those pics from the reviewer's website, I can say that I will now seriously think about buying this film.

This movie's da bomb! A carrier packed with F-14s got sucked through a time travel portal and goes back to WWII with a chance to kick Zero butts and change history.

Best Buy's flyer advertises it for $16.99, I wonder if there's a lower price out there?

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Just got the 2 disk version at Best Buy today! I've always loved this movie and after seeing it finally given this great treatment it's like seeing a whole new movie!! The picture quality is wonderful and THX sound!!!! The bonus disk has a great interview with the VF-84 pilots who did the air work for the movie, and I must say these guys have some pretty darn funny stories from shooting this movie....ie..Catherine Ross, Zero thumping, and the low altitude pull-out! Get this movie!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Before there was Top Gun, there was The Final Countdown... the OTHER F-14 movie! B)) Still priceless seeing a Zero get waisted by a Phoenix. B)) I first saw this on cable back in 1986. I'll have to pick it up this week. :)

Got it, haven't watched it yet. FYI, that's the best the Jolly Rogers ever looked. They only did the high-vis white-belly for 1 year, which is when they filmed. They had similar schemes for years, but for the ultra-famous often-modeled scheme you see here, that's it.

(I still wonder why Top Gun had fake squadrons, and all ultra-low vis, when there's many cool squadrons to use, with better paint).

They did an incredible job with the restoration - the picture and sound were head and shoulders above anything released in 1980, except for the lack of CG effects you'd think it's a modern flick. Compare the footage to the unrestored trailers and you'll really appreciate the difference.

"Splash the Zeroes!"

Hey. I've seen that Asian guy on Missing In Action Part II. He ended up getting killed at the end of the movie (by none other than Chuck Norris). :lol:

Soon-Tek Oh, the Korean actor who played the camp commander where Braddock was a prisoner.

I'll always remember him best as Chris Farley's sensei in Beverly Hills Ninja.

I'll always remember him best as Chris Farley's sensei in Beverly Hills Ninja.

I always loved that film. He's been in a lot of movies.

I just picked up the 2 disc limited edition. Still have to watch it though....tonight is the night.

Edited by Gaijin

Before you put it into the DVD player, check and see if the disc has any scratches. The first copy I got from Best Buy has multiple scratches on the first disc even though it was not loose in the case when I opened it. The 2nd copy I exchanged today also had a scratch line on disc 1 right out of the case.

(I still wonder why Top Gun had fake squadrons, and all ultra-low vis, when there's many cool squadrons to use, with better paint).

easyer to edit togeather, topgun probably wasn't able to get full support from any one squadron, so they had to use "standard" looking f-14s (almost called them valks !) to make editing possible.

plus maybe top gun has its own f-14's they use that arn't flashy, i used to live in that area and dont' remember seeing anything but grey f-14s

The 1/72 Italeri? Never seen one, but I've heard they're not that good. The old Hasegawa would have been by far the best choice. (And I gotta wonder why 1/72, and not 1/48 or 1/32). I know there were lots of R/C ones built, but those were customs.

BTW, most of the Top Gun F-14's were from VF-51, though there's rumors a few are from VF-111. (Rumor given credence since VF-111 and VF-51 are sister squadrons, and always deployed together).

PS---Top Gun Tomcats are actually VERY colorful---painted in agressor markings like most other Navy "school" planes. There's just very few, and not often seen. Of course 99% of the planes you'd see at Miramar are grey, because that'd be all the in-service Tomcats come ashore to participate in Top Gun. The Top Gun F-14's are more often used to fight against Navy F-18's, since agressor F-18's are pointless for another Hornet squadron.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Dude!

It's about freaking time they brought Final Countdown out on DVD. As for the afformentioned DVD bootleg I never heard about or seen the boxart myself. It must be a VHS rip? I still have an old VHS copy.

Hmmm, also available here it seems, but way above US$ 20.-. :(