Oscars 2004 - ROTK: 11/11!

Limbo

With a total count of 11 Oscars, Peter Jackson and the Return of The King crew now need to rent a U-haul to carry all those statues :p

There's no surprise at the academy... *sighs*

I was really hoping City of God would win something. :p

Edited by Limbo

Finally. As Steven Spielberg said.

"It's a clean sweep."

D'oh. They screwed gave da best actor Oscar to Jeff Spicoli.....I mean Sean Penn.

My honey Angelina Jolie sure looked good.

Now. I'll just wait for Peter Jackson to release the final DVD boxset for LOTR and I'll be set. B))

Hell yeah! The whole time I was like... damn, they're getting all the minors... this bodes ill. Same thing happens all the time.

And then the final award, and DAMN! but they won it all.

Just goes to prove how superior Tolkien's works are, and how much of a visionary PJ and his team of writers are. I seriously think that the LotR movies are going to be a major landmark in film history.... A fantasy movie to get a best movie Oscar... rock on.

To quote the evil McD's commercial... I'm loving it.

Not bad for a "hack" of a director and his crew. ;)

I can't believe this movie won Best Editing with all the obvious signs of it being a rush job, but like most other Oscars, actual merit of the nomination has little to do with the result when compared to the cumulative goodwill the nominee's built up with their past work (case in point: Murray losing out to Penn). ROTK swept because the 2 previous installments were equally good work but got shafted with the nominations and awards, so voters tend to be overcompensating for past injustices this year, since it's the trilogy's last chance.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Damn, now I'm going to have to give the Academy a grudging respect again after years of bad mouthing :)

A big cheer for Rings. It feels good to be a sci-fi, fantasy, and anime fan these days. All my hobbies that have been looked down upon by so many are now getting the respect and recognition they deserve. And I'm glad Jackson got the best picture and best director awards, so now the best the detractors can do is play the academic and try to descontruct the film's success.

I'm not happy about Best Actor going to Sean Penn. Though I suppose it wouldn't be an Academy Award show if it didn't piss me off in at least one of the major categories :)

I really feel both Depp and Murray were robbed. It really was a contest between those two. Putting aside my distaste for Mystic River, I do think Penn's performance was very good, but Depp and Murray simply stole the show.

Sure was nice to see a Canadian film win at the Oscars. Best foreign film is better than nothing. Makes me feel hopeful for my film career.

Edited by Mr March

LOTR finally laid the smacketh.

Ken Watanabe got robbed by that dirty hippie Tim Robbins.

And you would think that after millions of dollars, slews of awards, and kuodos, and the like that Peter Jackson could try for once not to look like a soup sandwich. I mean seriously, all props go to the LOTR franchise, but JC Penney was the sponsor of the Oscars, and it looked like he bought his suit off the $40.00 rack. C'mon dude, get a personal trainer, or at least a shirt that fits, and some straps that attach the tails of your shirt to your socks or something. Jeez. <_<

Edited by Mechamaniac

Can't say much about why Tim Robbins and Sean Penn won, didn't see Mystic River.

I wanted to see Johnny Depp and Keisha Castle Hughes to win. Both were excellent performances.

Crappy boring show though, reminded me why I never watch it.

Also glad to see LOTR win. Hopefully it's a sign that the Academy is loosening up, but then again, who really cares. :rolleyes:

Can't say much about why Tim Robbins and Sean Penn won, didn't see Mystic River.

I wanted to see Johnny Depp and Keisha Castle Hughes to win. Both were excellent performances.

Crappy boring show though, reminded me why I never watch it.

Also glad to see LOTR win. Hopefully it's a sign that the Academy is loosening up, but then again, who really cares. :rolleyes:

Here ye here ye Alex. I also wanted to see Sophia Coppala win Best Director. And wtf is up with that crappy end song from LOTR? One of my jobs is at a Edwards Theaters and I have heard that song cleaing up after hundreds of movie goers. Im an Usher. And I hate that song. Now originality towards Eugene Levy with Kiss at the End of the Rainbow should have one as Christoper Guest's movie is awesome.

Hmmm...have the people in Oscars ever read this before...

THE VERY SECRET DIARY OF GIMLI SON OF GLOIN

DAY ONE

Grr. Argh.

DAY TWO

Faffing about in Rivendell with stuck-up elves v. bad for my digestion. Have asked Elrond to move me to second floor as cannot get into bathroom here without being subjected to sight of hobbits bathing amongst scented candles. Is ridiculous. Got splashed with strawberry bath foam yesterday. On plus side, beard now silky and conditioned.

DAY THREE

Elrond refuses to move my room. Walked in on hobbits again this morning. What WERE they doing with that carrot? Inbred bunch of halfwits, no wonder they can't even grow decent beards.

DAY SEVEN

Suspect Aragorn son of Arathorn of being pervy hobbit-fancier. Completely ignoring hottie elf fiancËe in favor of barging about with hairy-footed gnomes in leather breeches. Fortunately I, Gimli son of Gloin, am here to take care of her loneliness.

Later.

Elf women just the right height to keep my ears warm. Go me!

DAY NINE

Have agreed to go on Quest. Arwen getting awfully grabby. Gimli son of Gloin will not be tied down. Would rather spend time with touchy-feely hobbits and poncy elves than hang about Rivendell taking about 'our relationship.'

DAY THIRTEEN

V. cold on top of Caradhras. Big fight over who got to carry hobbits up the mountain. Did not participate as was busy showing Legolas how to get hair braided just right. Fight ended when Aragorn picked up Ringbearer and stuffed him in his trousers. That's right, Isildur's Heir. Suffocate the Ringbearer. Honestly, these people.

DAY FOURTEEN

In Mines of Moria. May have made slight miscalculation, as it seems that cousin Balin has been dead for at least sixty years. Suppose it should have occurred to me that has been a while since last got Christmas card from the Moria folks. Still, cannot be expected to keep track of everything.

DAY FIFTEEN

Gandalf fell into shadow. Hobbits used as excuse to have teary cuddlefest on rocks. Suffered manly embrace from Boromir, although he kept jabbing Horn of Gondor into my solar plexus. At least, hope that was the Horn of Gondor. Does not bear thinking about if not.

DAY SIXTEEN

Legolas told me Aragorn is way into Frodo. Sam will kill him if he tries anything. Suggested to Legolas that we might want a leader who is less of a lech. Legolas then asked if I wanted to take a bath with him. Beginning to suspect that all that Elvish poetry about the glory of warrior-bonds between men just big cover-up for illicit spanking games.

DAY TWENTY

In Lothlorien. Galadriel quite the babe. While hobbits off power cuddling and Boromir chasing Aragorn, had time to show her a few dwarf tricks. Nothing fancy, just a bit of Hide the Helmet and Delving In The Mines. V. satisfactory for everyone, except possibly Celeborn. On second thought, maybe that was Celeborn. Cannot much tell difference with elves.

DAY TWENTY-TWO

Left Lothlorien. Have been paddling in boats for days. Am getting v. lonely. Hobbits looking not so bad. Rather cute in fact, despite mullet haircuts. Cannot get near Frodo without getting bitten on kneecaps by Sam, and Pippin dating Boromir, so will see if perhaps Merry wants to take a nice moonlit stroll tonight. Hurrah for warrior-bonds between men.

More Secret Diaries can be found here!

Back to topic, I was disappointed that Ken Watanabe did not win Supporting Actor, but I didn't see Tim Robbins movie so I cannot compare his performance there.

I do think Johnny Depp should have won Best Actor though.

Overall not bad. I liked in the foriegn language filom category the lady said "We are so happy LOTR did not qualify in this category." :lol:

Charlise Theron was hot last night too.

The end of this movie stunk, but I guess they couldn't get past this big love in they were all having for The Lord of the Rings. And, ya know, this is the Academy Awards, can Peter Jackson take the time to atleast make himself look presentable? The homeless man look wasn't working for him.

For my money, Master & Commander was the best film released last year.

I really really glad City of God didn't win anything. Its a crap movie and its well over 2 years old. <_<

And besides... it would cause every single anti-US Brazilian to get a nasty case of swell headedness. <_<

And Bill Murray should've won something for Lost in Translation. :angry:

Edited by Abombz!!

It was very nice to hear that once again all the darlings won their little statues and that hollywood had their time in the sun yet again.

I'm sick of the oscars and hollywood... bunch of ingrates patting themselves on the back.

Bill Murray was robbed.

<_<

Yeah, and that was the 2nd time he was robbed. He was tremendous in Rushmore but no one took him seriously. Sophia Coppala was robbed but I have no idea why. It probably had something to do with her last name. But really I don't care about any of those stupid awards. As far as I can tell, the whole mainstream Hollywood is all hypocritical idiots who never spent a minute in the real world.

LOTR is a good flik but it is a 3 part, 12 hour series. I don't think it should be on equal grounds of a typical 90 minute film.

Usual Academy Awards. I will refrain from rambling on and on about my lack of appreciation for the event.

As much as I'm glad to see a fantasy film win big (especially when its related to the whole Lord of the Rings series which I do believe is a great trilogy based on a superior set of books), I was severely disappointed that it won every single darn category. Make-up, special effects, sound, etc are all well deserved, but in my most humble opinion, ROTK did NOT deserve best editing. I probably wouldn't have even nominated it for that award. I also believe the best adaptation award was a farce...or a clear indication that no one on the Academy really read the books. To me, the series went downhill with each installment as far as both being true to the work literally and (more importantly) to the work's themes.

For those berating Mr. Jackon's attire and appearance, I actually applaud the fact that Jackson refuses to betray his personal nature (granted, he wore pants and shoes, but they probably wouldn't have let him in otherwise). I would much rather see him as himself and cheerful than conform and look miserable all tied up in a suit just so he'd look 'presentable' (aka, like everyone else). The fact that he can look like a well fed homeless person and still take center stage at an event that glorifies the glamourous is just perfect.

Clint Eastwood can still kick Peter Jackson's ass any day of the week.

But really, is anybody surprised? After all, it was heavily hinted that ROTK would clean up at the oscars a year and a half ago. New Line clearly knows how to lobby the academy.

Clint Eastwood can still kick Peter Jackson's ass any day of the week.

But really, is anybody surprised? After all, it was heavily hinted that ROTK would clean up at the oscars a year and a half ago. New Line clearly knows how to lobby the academy.

Not as well as Miramax. <_<

For those berating Mr. Jackon's attire and appearance, I actually applaud the fact that Jackson refuses to betray his personal nature (granted, he wore pants and shoes, but they probably wouldn't have let him in otherwise). I would much rather see him as himself and cheerful than conform and look miserable all tied up in a suit just so he'd look 'presentable' (aka, like everyone else). The fact that he can look like a well fed homeless person and still take center stage at an event that glorifies the glamourous is just perfect.

Dude, when you have that much money and can afford personal trainers and dieticians out the yin yang, there's no wordly excuse for looking like a fat hairy slob. I mean, he makes Ron Jeremy look clean and thin by comparison, and that's saying something!

i thought it was 11 12 since they lost sound editing to master and commander

LotR wasn't nominated for Best Sound Editing. So it was a clean sweep, the larget clean sweep ever (previous was 9 noms, 9 oscars) and tied Ben-Hur and Titanic for most wins.

Mechamaniac- If the guy wants to look how he wants, let him be. I prefer that he was pretty much casual compared to all the make-uyp they throw on anyone else. At least he wore shoes.

Dude, when you have that much money and can afford personal trainers and dieticians out the yin yang, there's no wordly excuse for looking like a fat hairy slob. I mean, he makes Ron Jeremy look clean and thin by comparison, and that's saying something!

Dude... he's a guy... who cares how he looks? :p

Quite seriously, I'd rather have him look like a cross between Survivor's Rupert and Ron Jeremy and make great films than have him look like Michael Bay... and make Michael Bay films.

I'm just thrilled they cleaned house at the Oscars... finally a movie that deserves the wins. Took the Academy long enough.

Edited by Blaine23

Hmmm...have the people in Oscars ever read this before...

THE VERY SECRET DIARY OF GIMLI SON OF GLOIN

<snip>

That came out just after the first movie got released, over 2 years ago. Been living under a rock or something?

Glad to see a genre film get some recognition, but if one of the awards it got was Best Adaptation, someone was asleep at the wheel.

I havn't seen Lost in Translation, so I can't say if Murray Was robbed or not, I did see Mystic River, which is a very very good, dark flick IMHO. Though I am still glad LOTR's beat it in the best movie and best director catigory.