Q-Rau Review Now Up

Graham

I think what a lot of people are reacting against is this feeling of entitlement that comes across from many of the yamato detractors. These are luxury items people... Are sony's really worth the 20% mark up on them? Are BMW's? are Lexus? Sure, these companies COULD produce the same unit for much less. But as long as people are going to pay the premuim then they will sell them for however much the market can bear.

Of course, some people will say that it is different with yamato, that they are the only ones producing these toys (at high quality level) nd thus they are milking their line charging high prices and being mean to their customers but once again... these are toys. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Macross toys are not essential to your life, Yamato does not owe you anything.

So yes, if this is a rare item.. if this is a first of it's kind, Yamato and really ANY smart manufacturer will sell them at a premium. It is no different with computers, cars, phones, clothes... really any item you can think of. Just because you personally feel that the designers, lawyers, manufacturers, sales people, drivers and everyone else associated with yamato should work for less pay than they deserve because you feel that the price is too high doesn't mean it will be so. And really, complaining nonstop about everything that yamato does isn't going to change anything.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Maybe you can write to yamato and tell them your concerns. Maybe you can start your own toy company and compete with Yamato, for all the talk out there, producing high end toys at low prices must be something very easy to do, so get to it. I'll be your number 1 fan!

Just a simple question, really:

When people are talking about the price is worth it due to the scale, workmanship and details, I have to ask... what details?

All I see is a simple toy with few panel lines, swappable parts, an inarticulate pilot, and that's it.

What details make this toy worth the asking price?

Typical. Now I remember why I stayed away from the Toys forum...

I think I'll go back to the "Others" forum.

BTW, Thanks for the review Graham... I'll pick this up once I get some money saved up.

Regarding pilot scale complaints...

According to Macross Compendium, Millia stands 8.55 meters tall, anda VF-1 battroid stands 12.68 meters tall.

Millia should NOT be as tall as Max's VF-1A. Or even close. If she was, things would be VERY wrong.

On the other hand, she SHOULD be a bit taller than she is. But not much.

The pic LOOKS about right, but Max's spread legs offset things a little bit.

Really, get the facts right BEFORE you complain...

Edited by JB0

I think what a lot of people are reacting against is this feeling of entitlement that comes across from many of the yamato detractors. These are luxury items people... Are sony's really worth the 20% mark up on them? Are BMW's? are Lexus? Sure, these companies COULD produce the same unit for much less. But as long as people are going to pay the premuim then they will sell them for however much the market can bear.

You're comparing a BMW to a Yamato product?

Until Yamato produces a flawless 1/60, I'll respect your comparison. Until then, your above paragraph is about the most asinine analogy I've ever heard (with all due respect, that is).

:D

I think it looks cool, my only concern is that it is not much bigger or at all bigger than the club m 1/72,check out the pic next to my 1/60 and the pic i the review, the kneecap seems (i really mean seems because i do not have the yamato yet) to be about the same height..........

Yeah, I've looked at the pictures of the box in graham review, and the box doesn't say it's "1/60" so it might be 1/72 in the end. The humanoid should be the size of the VF-1A Max. That's really strange and nobody is pointing that out. They' re all blinded by the beauty of the toy ;)

Or maybe the QRau is in the right scale but the Milia is way too small for the toy's size. I don't know.

JB0 is right.

Edited by ewilen

You know, if the only response to new toys from Yamato on this bbs was "HURRAY FOR YAMATO!" this'd be the dullest forum on earth and there'd really be no point to reading it.

Also, "if you don't like the price don't buy it" isn't exactly a killer comeback. If enough folks don't buy it, that's bad for Yamato. I would say "if you don't like the price complaints, don't read em." People telling Yamato (in this forum and elsewhere) that they're not buying it because the price is too high is useful feedback for Yamato, I would think.

It's very understandable that macross fans would be let down that a toy they had greatly anticipated ended up being badly overpriced, according to their personal sense of value.

Edited by Shaggydog

I think it looks cool, my only concern is that it is not much bigger or at all bigger than the club m 1/72,check out the pic next to my 1/60 and the pic i the review, the kneecap seems (i really mean seems because i do not have the yamato yet) to be about the same height..........

Yeah, I've looked at the pictures of the box in graham review, and the box doesn't say it's "1/60" so it might be 1/72 in the end. The humanoid should be the size of the VF-1A Max. That's really strange and nobody is pointing that out. They' re all blinded by the beauty of the toy ;)

Or maybe the QRau is in the right scale but the Milia is way too small for the toy's size. I don't know.

JB0 is right.

Cool, looks like the Club M may have been a bit larger than 1/72. For the record I did not want to complain I was just curious. I rellay like it and have one on order......

Regarding pilot scale complaints...

According to Macross Compendium, Millia stands 8.55 meters tall, anda VF-1 battroid stands 12.68 meters tall.

Millia should NOT be as tall as Max's VF-1A. Or even close. If she was, things would be VERY wrong.

On the other hand, she SHOULD be a bit taller than she is. But not much.

The pic LOOKS about right, but Max's spread legs offset things a little bit.

Really, get the facts right BEFORE you complain...

thanks for your answer and kind words

Cool... thanks for the great review, Graham... very fair and informative, as always.

I think I'm gonna pass on this one, though. I'm just not that big a fan of the Rau. I'd pay for a Glaug or a Regult... maybe we'll get one of those next.

Okay, the rest of you can go back to acting like kids fighting over Pokemon cards. :rolleyes:

You're comparing a BMW to a Yamato product?

Until Yamato produces a flawless 1/60, I'll respect your comparison. Until then, your above paragraph is about the most asinine analogy I've ever heard (with all due respect, that is).

Really, BMWs are hardly flawless, they have many QC problems and are known for their electrical problems... owner reviews on even high end BMWs are mixed.

And regardless of how you feel about BMW my analogy was that toys, in this case the Yamato Queadluun-Rau, are luxury items, and that manufacturers are entitled to charge whatever the market will bear... just like car companies, like BMW.

If you are saying that given the design and quality issues of the average BMW is considered to be "flawless" than I would say that a Yamato 1/60 with it's know issues are equally flawless. Both have minor issues but in neither case do these issues become an issue that Merriam Webster would define as "detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness."

If you wish to define flawless as being without any defect, then nothing is flawless and your point is equally mote.

with all due respect, of course.

Thanks for the excellent review Graham. Your analysis just cements my pleasure in ordering the Q-Rau from Tam. In regards to all the constant complaining and bitchin over Yamato's latest release. For all those that have (and haven't) been paying attention for the past few months we pretty much knew what the specs were going to be on the Q-Rau. We roughly knew its size, lack of diecast content (which is good), price and lack of padded acessories. None of these things are new people. So all the crying over these things is just plain retarded. Yamato didn't just change these things right before its release to piss off the more anal retentive members of this hobby. If these were issues with you some of you when we first saw pics of the preproduction model along with its price you've had more than ample time to deal with it. Legitimate complaints or concerns would sound something like this: "After handling or seeing a Q-rau in person I feel that it isn't worth the price tag because X,yand Z." As great as reviews and pics online can be, they don't always tell the full story. The great thing about capitalism is that you can let your wallet do all the talking for you. And comparing the Q-Rau to the 1/48 is off base as well. Different scales and one transforms and the other doesn't. But mosth of us already knew this. It would be pretty funny if the Q-rau ends up like the low vis. Alot of early complaining, and once word of mouth spread in what a really cool toy it was they were virtually sold out and people were forced to fork out twice its original price. Rant Mode off.

Originally I was going to pass on the Q-Rau but for its price and uniqueness I had to preorder one, hopefully I didn't order one too late in the game.

Thanks for the excellent review Graham. Your analysis just cements my pleasure in ordering the Q-Rau from Tam. In regards to all the constant complaining and bitchin over Yamato's latest release. For all those that have (and haven't) been paying attention for the past few months we pretty much knew what the specs were going to be on the Q-Rau. We roughly knew its size, lack of diecast content (which is good), price and lack of padded acessories. None of these things are new people. So all the crying over these things is just plain retarded. Yamato didn't just change these things right before its release to piss off the more anal retentive members of this hobby. If these were issues with you some of you when we first saw pics of the preproduction model along with its price you've had more than ample time to deal with it. Legitimate complaints or concerns would sound something like this: "After handling or seeing a Q-rau in person I feel that it isn't worth the price tag because X,yand Z." As great as reviews and pics online can be, they don't always tell the full story. The great thing about capitalism is that you can let your wallet do all the talking for you. And comparing the Q-Rau to the 1/48 is off base as well. Different scales and one transforms and the other doesn't. But mosth of us already knew this. It would be pretty funny if the Q-rau ends up like the low vis. Alot of early complaining, and once word of mouth spread in what a really cool toy it was they were virtually sold out and people were forced to fork out twice its original price. Rant Mode off.

Originally I was going to pass on the Q-Rau but for its price and uniqueness I had to preorder one, hopefully I didn't order one too late in the game.

i doubt it. the "low viz" was not over priced, did not have an inaccurate sculpt on pilot and mecha, did not lack in detail and posebility, and was alimited production.

if you don;t bleive me watch the scnee where the meltran comes out of her green pwoer armro and dies. she is not only bigger in respect to mecha, her position in mecha and the cockpit detail is diffrent. The pilot stands in a V position not standign standing straight up..

I wish i had $120 + to blow on thsi toy but I don't. :(

And comparing the Q-Rau to the 1/48 is off base as well.

They're both Macross, they're both high-priced, they're both Yamato. What else do you want?

Okay, let's compare the Q-Rau to a Snickers bar. Better?

*rolls eyes*

Edited by fifbeat

Ford Focus vs Ford Gt??? Hmmmm both fords, both cars. Comical. I guess you missed my point about non transformable vs transforable. Apples don't compare well with Oranges. Again if you don't like it then don't buy it. Yamato will not burst into your home with ak-47's and force you to buy it. Your dollar is your voice. You don't need to keep telling us all your grievances with this toy. Once is enough.

Nice points Ali. But if the current design was good enough for SK, then none of us have much too complain about. Judging by the compendium stats and the pic above I think they came very close to scale.

Edited by Golden Arms

Ford Focus vs Ford Gt??? Hmmmm both fords, both cars. Comical. I guess you missed my point about non transformable vs transforable. Apples don't compare well with Oranges. Again if you don't like it then don't buy it. Yamato will not burst into your home with ak-47's and force you to buy it. Your dollar is your voice. You don't need to keep telling us all your grievances with this toy. Once is enough.

Yeah, but you're forgetting the whole point. It's the $$$$ difference.

Ford Focus: $13,000

Ford GT: $150,000

Sure, different price, different product. Of course we can't compare the two.

1/48 VF: $130

Q-Rau: $120

Ouch! $10 difference, yet we get so, so, so much more with the 1/48. Highly comparable.

I ended my grievances about the Q-Rau. It was your "you can't compare the two" comment that made me grieve.

Graham loved it. But don't forget, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he gets the sample mech as "media" material for the high amount of $0.00. If it came out of his pocket, I don't think the product would be that celebrated.

No offense to macrossworld.com or Graham, because if I got the product shipped to me for nothing, I'd be raving about it, too.

Edited by fifbeat

You know, I once saw a picture of a Llama for sale. The man had several pictures of the Llama and a description of how the Llama is personable and tends to only spit occasionally... guess what? I HATE that Llama. It costs like a thousand dollars and all it does is spit and crap. If somebody expects me to buy that Llama it had better clean up after itself, make me coffee, take out the trash, spell the names of the states and presidents right and transform into a Tapir on command. Freaking nature... where does it get off making that Llama that only does two things? And selling it for that price? And to top it all off it has a DEFECT! It will eventually DIE! The Llama I buy must be eternal... and low price and the coffee thing and the spelling thing and the transforming into a Tapir thing...

See? You can bitch about anything after seeing a picture, someone's impression of it and a price tag. My only point is: if you want to bitch about something, do it after you buy it and it bites you in the ass. All this "first strike" pre-emptive bitching is just a wee bit strange... kind of like complaining about non-transforming poor spelling Llamas.

Graham loved it. But don't forget, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he gets the sample mech as "media" material for the high amount of $0.00. If it came out of his pocket, I don't think the product would be that celebrated.

No offense to macrossworld.com or Graham, because if I got the product shipped to me for nothing, I'd be raving about it, too.

He as given bad reviews on prototypes before.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/y...21fp_sample.htm

Look, I'm sure the thing is a good product, and since it doesn't transform, I'm sure it's pretty sturdy.

But paying $120 for something like this? Your going to get some people that are going to question it. This is what this forum is all about, right? I'm surprised to see so many people get annoyed about the peeps that are questioning the price.

The best thing I've read on this thread so far is this:

Also, "if you don't like the price don't buy it" isn't exactly a killer comeback. If enough folks don't buy it, that's bad for Yamato. I would say "if you don't like the price complaints, don't read em." People telling Yamato (in this forum and elsewhere) that they're not buying it because the price is too high is useful feedback for Yamato, I would think.

Props to whoever said that.

Like I said, I don't think the pre-orderers of this product are doing a bad thing. But please, don't think our "bitching" is a bad thing, either.

He as given bad reviews on prototypes before.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/y...21fp_sample.htm

My bad. My apoligies to Graham. I admit, I haven't read the whole site yet.

Edited by fifbeat

B)) IIRC Graham doesn't get to keep the 'sample' product Yamato sends him. He plays, he touches, he roughs up the toys but then Yamato's hired goons show up at his place, demand his review, and the return of the sample. If not he gets a wedgie. :p

Of course at this point Graham is hopelessly addicted to the new toy and runs out and buys multiple of the same toy.

ie.

graham_is_insane.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/collec...ctions_menu.htm

....or I'm talking out my ass. :D :D :D

First, kudos to yamato for making what sounds like a great toy. A little expensive but it looks great and has great features.

Now that bad. That has got to be the worst sculpt of millia that I have ever seen! :o Even those old robocrap figures looked better than that. I could make better than that. If I get one I'll probably take a scalple to make her have some posability. Also gotta fix her ass and chest too.

Please let the yen drop soon. That way I can afford this toy. :rolleyes:

Ford Focus vs Ford Gt??? Hmmmm both fords, both cars.

according to you, they should be the same price. Also, you say the only valid comments that can be made require previously handeling one, then you say we talk with our wallets.... so let me get this straight, I can only tell Yamato that I don't want to buy one AFTER I've bought one? I mean, that's the only way I could handle one is to buy it... then if I didn't like it I could let Yamato know by what? not buying two?

you are absolutely right about how yamato is feeling out the market to see how much it can charge for macross toys. But does that mean I'm not allowed to tell other that I think they've crossed the line? Do you honestly believe that the price/demand sweet spot for this item needs to be this high or higher without complaint? Remember how much Takatokus USED to go for at the low point of Macross toy availability? If we all shell out more $$$ for each of Yamato's successive releases regardless of quality of product without criticism (aside from the "valid" coments like "After buying this toy, I feel like I wasted my money... Shame on you Yamato. I've pre-ordered the max re-paint of this same toy and after I get it I'll post on MW if you've met my expectations") I can imagine a time when a new, non-limited release of anything Macross related goes for $300+ and the same arguement will be going on.

and... we shouldn't hold the Q-rau to the same high standards as the 1:48, but we should pay the same high price? I know the Q-rau doesn't transform, but take away the 1:48's ability to transform and you still have a robot action figure with higher articulation, better poseability, and more features... and that's not even considering the possability that if the 1:48 were non transformable it would have more Hasegawa-esque proportions.

$80 is a good price for this toy, and if you stop and think about it $80 IS A LOT OF MONEY! especially for a plastic toy (even from li'l ole'Yamato) This is the economical sweet spot for other collectables of this caliber... if we don't say "no" with our wallets and we don't vocalize why we are saying it, then demand will raise the price back to where we will all be fighting over who gets to pay $500 dollars for Yamato's latest ultra-rare limilted prodution release: 1:144 scale Yf-19 PVC left arm...

So many points of view. Here's mine. ;)

Yes, it is expensive, especially for people who have to import the toy.

Don't like the toy for whatever reason? - Don't buy it.

Think it's not worth the money? - Don't buy it.

Just don't imply that people who like the toy or who feel it is worth the money are being stupid or making a BIG mistake.

This reminds me of jealous people pissing on people who drive luxury cars or live in monster homes. Yes, some people can afford things that to most people seem totally not worth it. No one NEEDS a BMW, Merc, Porsche, etc, etc. All you need is a Chevy Cavalier to go from point A to B. Are those people who purchase expensive things being stupid or making a BIG mistake if they have the money to spare? I don't think so.

Face it, the world ain't fair. Yamato has a monopoly on the Macross enemy mecha toy market. From their point of view, they can afford to mark up the price a bit. If the response from the market is lukewarm, they will suffer the consequences. On the other hand, if it sells really well, they will have done the right thing for the financial health of the company.

So many points of view. Here's mine. ;)

Yes, it is expensive, especially for people who have to import the toy.

Don't like the toy for whatever reason? - Don't buy it.

Think it's not worth the money? - Don't buy it.

Just don't imply that people who like the toy or who feel it is worth the money are being stupid or making a BIG mistake.

This reminds me of jealous people pissing on people who drive luxury cars or live in monster homes. Yes, some people can afford things that to most people seem totally not worth it. No one NEEDS a BMW, Merc, Porsche, etc, etc. All you need is a Chevy Cavalier to go from point A to B. Are those people who purchase expensive things being stupid or making a BIG mistake if they have the money to spare? I don't think so.

Face it, the world ain't fair. Yamato has a monopoly on the Macross enemy mecha toy market. From their point of view, they can afford to mark up the price a bit. If the response from the market is lukewarm, they will suffer the consequences. On the other hand, if it sells really well, they will have done the right thing for the financial health of the company.

if the sculpt was accurate adn it had more detail and articulation. I'd buy it.

Not gonna buy it. Not because it's super expensive, and not because it's pretty light on feature.

Not gonna buy it because I don't care about the DYRL colors. Soon as they put out a TV version, though, it's mine....

I can't wait to get mine but what's missing here? Aren't there decals or stickers to this toy?

There are no additional decals or stickers. I think Devin or someone here could design some custom decals though ... *ahem* Max Q-Rau?

LOL!

Check out her head. Lucky the helmit isn't removable, otherwise, she'd look like one of those Kubrick figures. :D

Wonder if you can buy the figure seperate for $30.

You can buy my figure for 20 + s/h! The figure definately needs work as a standalone and I'm not a fan of it, but if stick her into the cockpit, she's not that bad. Actually, if you compare Millia to the Valkyrie pilots, most of the initial ones were crap (to me) until they were revised with the Low Vis, Hikaru VF-1S and TV 1J.

On the other hand, I love that Washington Big Red Delicous Apple Mech (American joke ... ) kekeke...

Can someone post pictures of this posed? I see a lot of comments about it being poseable, but all the pictures are it just standing there. I would guess that you can do some neat things using the clear three legged stands. I'd like to see a neat battle scene with Max & Milia each on a stand.

I don't have the stands but what other poses did you want? I'll try to find some time and post some "action shots".

Edited by Neova