Q-Rau Review Now Up

Graham

that...next to this...

comparison-4.jpg

This would seem to indicate either the Yamato is small, or the Club M is large...regardless...Im really excitied about the toy...as the first non-VF1 of note in a while...and adding in the GBP my 1/60 collection grows more complete...I think, in time, we will all grow to appreciate the hard work Yamato went through to come up with another unique toy....uniqueness....often ='s value and appreciation over the long haul. Consider the bookends...we all said pricey, and not perfect...but now they are nearly unattainable....I wont make that mistake with the QRau...and I hope they sell out!

Edited by Myersjessee

uh, yah that's called price gouging...and if you like being taken advantage of...well then, I don't need to tell you about my bridge that's for sell.

Why the hell do you people always think that we are being "taken advantage of" just because we happen to like a "POS plastic kit being passed on as a toy", and you think it's not worth it?

It's OUR friggin money, YOU or that other guy don't have didly squat with what we do with OUR money. You think we're being taken advantage of? Fine, go tell that to yourself, but don't spoil OUR goddamned FUN while you're at it.

yamato better get on the ball cuz i'm beginning to feel the same way about them...macross toys or not.

...or what? Whatcha gonna do? Whine s'more about it?

Jeez! You people think just because you buy Yamato's stuff, you think you're God's gift to them, and displeasing you would mean Yamato's downfall.

It's people like you that make this hobby a bitch sometimes.

Millia: You think this power armor makes my legs look fat?

Hikaru thinks to himself... fat booty sure looks good on ole' Millie... I'll ride that... Lucky Max, that bastard.

Hikaru: No, not at all. The red matches your green hair... You're part Irish right?

Millia: I think I'm going to try out that Super 1J next month... These thighs on this thing sure feels fat to me...

post-4-1077983982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neova

Hikaru: look at all those MW haters... you cost too much, your butt is flat, you don't have diecast, you don't weigh enough, you're not true 1/60 scale, you suck... blah blah blah...

Millia: You herd them up and I'll reload my micro-missle pod...

note to the humor impaired: Just kidding! :D

post-4-1077984046_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neova

TWDC, Exo...I concur. But I really prefer all the designs from the TV series except possibly the fastpack design and the cockpits. (And really don't like what was done with the Nousjadeul-Ger. I prefer it fat, flatfooted and clunky! The revised version is too gangly IMNSHO.)

That's where we disagree... I really like the DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger compared to the TV one.

is miria chinese? a lot of chinese girls butts look like that, flat with no meat. and yes, I do check out girl's butts a lot.  :lol:

I guess you do... to the point that you can tell what nationality they are... :p

Looks great, but I can't see myself getting inspired to pay more than $25 to $30 for it. Nothing about this thing justifies the price tag.

::EDIT::

After reading through this thread again and thinking about numorous previous threads, I've come to a conclusion. There are people here who are elitist. They embrace the whole concept of overpriced toys becuase it ensures that not everyone who wants to can join in on the fun. And then they get upset when the people who don't have money to throw away complain.

I'm not trying to make any sort of point with this, it's just something I noticed. Every niche hobby has it's dark side I suppose.

Edited by eriku

to all the whiners and haters....

go cry to your momma's! :rolleyes:

its funny how everytime something new is released, theres always a bunch of people who bitch and moan. <_< is the price tag a bit steep? yes. will it keep me from buying it? no.

my POV is, this is the first release of the q-rau and if sales are poor, yamato is not going to invest more money to make other variations. and the way things are going here, it looks like they're not going to do too well in the retail market.

so keeping that in mind, i hope they never make another one, that way when the price for it sky rockets to $300+(i.e the stupid/lame/so not worth it low-viz), all the buttcracks bitchin about the price now, will be posting in the "wanted" section in a few months offering $120 when none of us who got one will part with it for less than $300. catch my drift? so stop the madness, and chill out.

buy it, dont' buy it, it doesn't make a difference to me, but to come here and cry about it is childish and just plain gay. no one here cares, so as i said eariler, go cry to your momma. :lol:

oh and its always mature to bitch about people that have jobs and make their own money. <_< its not our fault,

1) you can't get a job

2) you're too lazy to get a job

3) you didn't finish college so you can't get a real job

4) you're too broke because you have a $200 cellphone bill and a $150 cable bill.

5) or any other stupid reason to whine about the so called "elitist".

go to school, finish school, get a good job that pays well, and buy whatever you want. it ridiculous how so many people want everything but willing to do nothing....well, other than cry about on the forums...cause that makes everything better right? <_<

i'm not trying to flame anyone in particular, so if you're taking my opinion personally, then there must be a kernal of truth to what i've said. so in that case, that would make me right...but more importantly...it would make you WRONG! :lol:

have a nice day! :)

Looks great, but I can't see myself getting inspired to pay more than $25 to $30 for it. Nothing about this thing justifies the price tag.

::EDIT::

After reading through this thread again and thinking about numorous previous threads, I've come to a conclusion. There are people here who are elitist. They embrace the whole concept of overpriced toys becuase it ensures that not everyone who wants to can join in on the fun. And then they get upset when the people who don't have money to throw away complain.

I'm not trying to make any sort of point with this, it's just something I noticed. Every niche hobby has it's dark side I suppose.

Perhaps some toy elitists but there are also some here that if its not at Walmart or TRU for 19.99, they won't buy it. Don't get me wrong I'd like that too but that isn't the case with Macross toys. They are always expensive and most fans knows that going in. I really wish they weren't. I think every fan should be able buy something from Macross without have spend so much. Its just not that way unfortuantely. I usually unload stuff on ebay for extra money. The Q-rau most likely will be my last big Macross purchase.

Thanks for the review Graham. Unlike some others, I think you give very good fair reviews. I guess some people expect reviews to be nothing but bash fests. Regardless of price, it does look like a nice toy. It has more poseability than I thought it would have and appears well balanced. I am very suprised at the size. I was under the impression that it would be a good inch or two taller than the 1/48. Oh well, that size looks more reasonable. If they ever sell cheap on ebay, I might pick one up someday.

I also agree about the green version.

Damn that Q-rau looks nice! Can't wait for mine to arrive! :D

To sum up for Haterist in my own words: Peasants! :p

Looks like the Q-rau needs some red plastic plugs to cover up those screw holes. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with how it appears! And thank God for there not being any die-cast!

Could you imagine this thing with die-cast legs like on the 1/60 VF-1?! :ph34r:

to all the whiners and haters....

go cry to your momma's!  :rolleyes:

its funny how everytime something new is released, theres always a bunch of people who bitch and moan.   <_<  is the price tag a bit steep?  yes.  will it keep me from buying it?  no.

my POV is, this is the first release of the q-rau and if sales are poor, yamato is not going to invest more money to make other variations.  and the way things are going here, it looks like they're not going to do too well in the retail market.

so keeping that in mind, i hope they never make another one, that way when the price for it sky rockets to $300+(i.e the stupid/lame/so not worth it low-viz), all the buttcracks bitchin about the price now, will be posting in the "wanted" section in a few months offering $120 when none of us who got one will part with it for less than $300.  catch my drift?  so stop the madness, and chill out. 

buy it, dont' buy it, it doesn't make a difference to me, but to come here and cry about it is childish and just plain gay.  no one here cares, so as i said eariler, go cry to your momma.  :lol:

oh and its always mature to bitch about people that have jobs and make their own money.  <_<   its not our fault,

1) you can't get a job  

2) you're too lazy to get a job

3) you didn't finish college so you can't get a real job

4) you're too broke because you have a $200 cellphone bill and a $150 cable bill.

5) or any other stupid reason to whine about the so called "elitist".

go to school, finish school, get a good job that pays well, and buy whatever you want.  it ridiculous how so many people want everything but willing to do nothing....well, other than cry about on the forums...cause that makes everything better right?  <_<

i'm not trying to flame anyone in particular, so if you're taking my opinion personally, then there must be a kernal of truth to what i've said.  so in that case, that would make me right...but more importantly...it would make you WRONG!  :lol:

have a nice day!  :)

hey ~! you're right MAN~ :)

get a job than buy anything you want

and no need to think worth it or not ~~ yeah~~!

hard working for a month than the boss pay for you just easy money ~~ right~?

p.s.

I just want to say is:

worth it or not is a very personal feeling

I think this forum is for member to told what he feel with anything about macross,

but not with other member~

even no one here recommand other member don't go for it (Q-RAU)~

worth it or not, just for yourself~ :)

Edited by 柿崎速雄

I don't smoke or waste my money on drugs, I drink socially, but expend most of my time trying to make money, so I work hard to pay for my own pleasures, If Yamato don't make the toy, why they don't make it?, and then it's out and let the bashing begin, you don't like or can't afford it, fine, but don't be judging others for enjoying a truly fun hobby, I gues thats why they are call collectibles? right?, who knows maybe the price will go down in the future, but if this become a success like the Low Biz, don't be crying later why you don't have one!

Peace B))

Keep in mind there is a 20-30% markup in price for us to get these toys in the US. I keep seeing auctions for the Q-Rau beetween 80-95 dollars. I paid 115 shipped for mine. Of course there will be a markup for the US dealers to make some profit for the service of getting these toys to us.

Plus, Yamato's target market is for Japanese fans. Who probably, like us, are in there late 20's or early 30's. The point is, Yamato's toys are for a very limited niche market. Domestic then abroad. Not many companies are going to be producing toys of 20 year old anime with such a limited market. For Yamato to keep producing Macross toys, the individual prices are going to be higher than different toys marketed to other fan bases. I feel that the price is completely justifiable in order for fans to get "high caliber"(My opinion) macross toys.

Thanks for the review Graham!

I'll be passing on this since I'm not a huge Q-Rau or Milia fan. I've always been more of a fan of the good guy mecha. I just don't feel the need to spend the money to add this to my collection.

I am very grateful that Yamato is adding variety to the line. I personnally would love to see some 1/60 scale destroids with diecast content. I don't know why, but I just see diecast and destroids going together. :)

Can someone post pictures of this posed? I see a lot of comments about it being poseable, but all the pictures are it just standing there. I would guess that you can do some neat things using the clear three legged stands. I'd like to see a neat battle scene with Max & Milia each on a stand.

Edited by VF-1Guy

I think it looks cool, my only concern is that it is not much bigger or at all bigger than the club m 1/72,check out the pic next to my 1/60 and the pic i the review, the kneecap seems (i really mean seems because i do not have the yamato yet) to be about the same height..........

Yeah, I've looked at the pictures of the box in graham review, and the box doesn't say it's "1/60" so it might be 1/72 in the end. The humanoid should be the size of the VF-1A Max. That's really strange and nobody is pointing that out. They' re all blinded by the beauty of the toy ;)

Or maybe the QRau is in the right scale but the Milia is way too small for the toy's size. I don't know.

It is true that there is a lot of complaining right after Yamato releases something new, and I think there's a good reason for that. Yamato is a young company, and it has an unfortunate tendency to release some items that aren't as well-made or as cheap as the stuff Bandai gives us. Of course, they have a good excuse: they're smaller, they have less experience, etc. But I think it's fair and valid to point out their flaws.

If I may share my perspective with those of you angry at the 'hobo' posts ("it's too expensive!"): I was similarly annoyed at such posts about the toynami Alpha, because I'm looking forward to that toy so much. I've been dying for new Alpha toys for years! just as we've all been dying for a Q-Rau toy for years. Thing is, if I step back, I realize it's true that the Alpha is overpriced compared to similar toys from larger toy companies (Bandai, Takara), so I really can't fault people for complaining. The Alpha is definitely "worth it to me" (as is the Q-Rau for that matter), but I can understand how it might not be worth it to other folks, who may have different priorities or may just have more sense than I do. I recommend thinking about that a little bit.

Edited by Shaggydog

Why don't I call the WAAAAAAAAHmbulance!! <_<

Jeez guys.... What you don't seem to realize is that Yamato currently has the market cornered on Macross Badguy mecha... they can charge whatever they see fit to charge and be done with it. If you want it bad enough, you'll buy it... if not, oh well, you're out of luck. Just because you may want an original Takatoku 1/55 Super Valkyrie doesn't mean you deserve to get one for $19.99.... people have to pay out the ass for things like that, and some people are willing to do so... newly produced OR produced 20 years ago.

I think this is more than we ever could've asked for in a first run for an enemy mecha. I hate to say it, but by and large Zentran/Meltran mecha don't have too many gimmicks to them. I think they've done an excellent job in repoducing the Q-rau... even if the cockpit (c'mon guys, let's not be TOTAL a-holes...) isn't exactly like it was in the movie. So what if the pilot isn't posable?? We should be damn lucky they chose to include one at all. It looks damn solid and sturdy, so you can probably count on almost nil-breakage (unless you're a 'tard and drop it on something) and what's more, it's a collector's item. Pay up or shut up, and that's the bottom line. :ph34r:

That being said, I'm not getting one. Not because I think it looks bad, but because I don't like enemy mecha enough to pay $100+ on them. And that's cool, because that means there will be more for the diehard collectors to get. I hope they enjoy them and perhaps I'll change my mind on down the road. B))

Well done Yamato! Now gimmie a Tactical Regault Pod!! [whiny sarcasm mode] (and make it $19.99, solid diecast, with total panel-lining, all missile options, a fully posable pilot *with name and date-of-cloning*, oh yeah... and it has to be transformable somehow! If you can't do all of this for me Yamato, you guys absolutely SUCK!!!!![/whiny sarcasm mode]

<_<<_<

Oh man , why ddoes this have to be a fight everytime Yamato gives us something new and great !?

Seriously , you all say you´re in your late 20s and 30s but look at you , you all keep wasting your time arguing with somebody else because they don´t feel the same wqay you do , that´s just childish , haters or lovers just stop the bitching please , is not like someone is paying you money everytime to throw crap at someone.

Thanks for the review Graham. Unlike some others, I think you give very good fair reviews. I guess some people expect reviews to be nothing but bash fests. Regardless of price, it does look like a nice toy. It has more poseability than I thought it would have and appears well balanced. I am very suprised at the size. I was under the impression that it would be a good inch or two taller than the 1/48. Oh well, that size looks more reasonable. If they ever sell cheap on ebay, I might pick one up someday.

I also agree about the green version.

I sincerely agree with your all points JawJaw.

I think it´s a GREAT toy as well as a pretty nice addition to Yamato macross line , it looks great , it sounds to be great , it has it all and I´ll definitively buy one. Unfortunatelly , as it is now , I think the price is a bit high for the number of gimmicks and gadgets it features. The Millia figure is not exactly awesome , particularly the head/face sculpt which from what I saw in the pics isn´t really similar to the line-art.

Anyway , I´m very attracted to this toy , but I´ll have to wait till I can seriously justify its purchase at a reasonable price. And for the doubters , yes I have the money , I could easily buy 2 Q-raus right now with a few clicks of my mouse but I think Yamato is testing the waters as to how much they can get away with in regards to how much fans are willing to pay for ANY toy they produce, don´t get me wrong I still love Yamato , they´re releasing M0 toys , GBP and now the Q-rau but we need to get real , the Q-rau seriously shouldn´t cost the same as a 1/48.

If it was 70 or even 90 then I´d be buying it right away.

Saying Yamato is in their right to sell this toy at such a unreasonable price is a lame excuse , Would anyone be willing to pay $300 for a Banpresto if it was the only toy/model produced now ? I wouldn´t.

guess i can wait for the release like they did for the 1:48. maybe the next version will include a possible pilot :p . strange i thought the pilot would be much bigger. i thought zentran/meltran was same or near the height of a valk but that pic makes the valk tower over her.

Edited by Zentrandude

Saying Yamato is in their right to sell this toy at such a unreasonable price is a lame excuse , Would anyone be willing to pay $300 for a Banpresto if it was the only toy/model produced now ? I wouldn´t.

OH MAN! Only $300 for a Banpresto valk?! I'M SOLD!!!! :lol: j/k

To each his own, to each his own. If someone wants to pay for something extremely expensive, and is willing to dish it out, so be it.

Oh man , why ddoes this have to be a fight everytime Yamato gives us something new and great !?

This is Macross World. :p:lol:

You people think just because you buy Yamato's stuff, you think you're God's gift to them, and displeasing you would mean Yamato's downfall.

YES!

Take some consumer and advertising lessons, buddy. ;)

Some of us just think it's too expensive, that's all. And when it comes to this new toy, I think Yamato does have us by the balls. Again, I'm not saying you're stupid for buying it. I just think we all get a little caught up. I mean, more power to you if you have the money to make expensive purchases like this WITHOUT thinking. We all do, but this ain't a strip bar folks.

In the 80's, you can get a top-of-the-line VF toy or Dougram for under $60 (or less). I remember getting Jet Fire for $30 in '86 (I think). The price of toys hasn't really changed that much since then. Action figures were always around $5, as well. And yes, some of these were imports (Just like Yamato) -- as most of you know, there was a big Japanese "import" boom, because of the whole Robotech, Voltron and Transformers thing. Even Voltron was under $70 I believe...

The only reason I think the 1/48s are worth around $180 (including fast packs) is because...well... err look at them. That's some pride and joy, well designed, well articulated, well engineered stuff. It's tight, it looks good in all transformations and...well... it just looks sweet.

However, when you look at the Q-Rau, you think to yourself: "If I'm paying that much for the Q-Rau, shouldn't the 1/48 VF be about $300?" There's a problem here.

I'm not saying you're stupid, rich, or a Yamato whore if you're going to buy one. But, there is such thing as smart-shopping, collector or not.

People are only bitching because they feel the need to. If enough people bitch, maybe the price COULD go down (I doubt it, but hell, anything is possible)... outside of Japan, I think a good chunk of Yamato-purchasers linger around MacrossWorld.com, so yes, I think we put a good chunk of dough into Yamato's pockets. And yes, if this is a fact, then we are God's gift to them. At the same time, I think enough bitching and complaining and LESS PURCHASES by the U.S. fans CAN lead to a price drop. Who knows? If valkyrie-exchange.com or some other retailer in the U.S. doesn't go well with the product, I'm sure Yamato will notice the numbers.

And to that person who gave us a list of things we should have done: "Go to college so you can get a better job".... etc...

Dude, you're totally naive. That's just like saying: "That kid killed someone. Must be that music he listens to"...

The majority of people on this board seem to be knowledgable, helpful and cool-as-ice. But once in a while there's people in here you'd just like to say "Phuck You" to.

Oh yeah, and to whoever thinks METAL parts are a bad thing for mecha, I have one word for ya: BANDAI! :D

Edited by fifbeat

I'm mixed. I do like the way it looks. I don't care about die cast (My YF-21FP is perfect. The VF-19A sucks bad, especially bad chipping on the legs)... My 1/60s are good with only the Roy having bad chipping on one leg)... though the irony of the missing die-cast draws a smile and a hint of deja-vu. :)

Exchange rates still kinda stink, though not as bad as they've been recently. I dont' think I'm willing to pay more than $100 OTD. Hopefully this thing will be in VF-11B FP and YF-21FP pricing soon... But I do think this thing should have been between 7800 and 9800 yen MSRP. It can't have been hard to engineer compared to a valkyrie. So it's all in the sculpt and in the materials, which definately raises an eyebrow with it's 12,800 yen MSRP...

uh, yah that's called price gouging...and if you like being taken advantage of...well then, I don't need to tell you about my bridge that's for sell.

Why the hell do you people always think that we are being "taken advantage of" just because we happen to like a "POS plastic kit being passed on as a toy", and you think it's not worth it?

It's OUR friggin money, YOU or that other guy don't have didly squat with what we do with OUR money. You think we're being taken advantage of? Fine, go tell that to yourself, but don't spoil OUR goddamned FUN while you're at it.

yamato better get on the ball cuz i'm beginning to feel the same way about them...macross toys or not.

...or what? Whatcha gonna do? Whine s'more about it?

Jeez! You people think just because you buy Yamato's stuff, you think you're God's gift to them, and displeasing you would mean Yamato's downfall.

It's people like you that make this hobby a bitch sometimes.

Lemme ask you something...do you like paying $20 or even $15 for a figure that costs $5 from scalpers? oh the figure is rare and lots of people want it, there's nothing else like it in the market etc...so all the scalpers hunt these figs down and take advantage of the market.

doesn't that sound similar to this situation? Qrau, never been produced as a toy before, rare somewhat limited quantities, people want it. but instead of the prices being scalped by the retailers...I, PERSONALLY, feel it's coming straight from yamato. and I, PERSONALLY, think that's them taking advantage of the situation.

It is YOUR "friggin" money, and I'm not telling you, "you can't buy it." never once did I say that. but why can't I come in and state my opinions? because it ruins YOUR fun?? If it's like that, then hey, you're ruining my fun by stating YOUR opinions...but it aint like that. I'm telling the way I see it, and you can tell it the way you see it, but if you tell me to shutup because you don't agree with my opinions then that just makes me want to speak my mind even more. Because you're not even open to other peoples ideas and ideas are meant to be shared.

So far, the ones who've said they want to buy the qrau stated reason like it's bad-ass(understandable, it is very cool), first toy of it's caliber to be made(very true), it's big(well duh~), and it's got a miria fig(with no ass). all validated opinions but to me not good enough, and that's why I counter with my arguments. you dont' like it, please counter back but don't say I'm bitching and moaning cuz I'm not just doing that.

I take that statement about me making this hobby a bitch personal Omni, I dunno what your beef with me is, but I'm allowed to complain about something. I don't have to worship all that is Yamato, I'm very appreciative of what they're doing but not to the point where I'll grovel(sp?) over every little thing they do.

and "pay up or shutup"? uh yah right...a company offers a product and I'm not allowed to say negative things about it...we on RT.com?? come on, that is just ridiculous.

and thanks fifbeat, for you're probably more articulate than I am. If I wasn't typing this, I'd be yelling, sprayin spit, flailing arms, cursing, and jumping up and down to get my point across. :lol:

Edited by Eternal_D