has gundam interest died in the US?

NERV

today i was in the mood to pick up a nice msia i goto the gundams ection at target and its about 1/4 the size it used to be, had notihng new, just leftover g gundam rejects like toro and mermaid gundam, i went to walmart and tru and it was the same story, wuts the deal?

Right now it's just the left overs from G Gundam.

The Seed/Zeta blitz hasn't started yet. Saw a Seed figure ad on TV the other day.

I saw a commercial for the SEED toys as well but nothing for Zeta yet. I really think they need to promote the next few series the way they did for Gundam Wing. Seriously there were promos for it a few months before it ever aired on Cartoon Network. When it came to G Gundam I honestly didn't see the first comercial for it until about two weeks before it aired. And I usually watch Toonami or have it on in the background just about every day. 8th MS Team, 0083 and 0080 got a nice push on TV. Mobile Suit Gundam got a nice bit of advertising also but after it didn't fair to to well they it seems they just didn't try with G Gundam. Though I don't remember seeing toy comercials for G Gundam either.

They'll promote Seed first, a change of plans from before, and then when Zeta nears it's DVD release and/or TV run (wichever comes first no doubt) they will start its promotion blitz.

Man, you Americans don't know how lucky you have it. I haven't seen a full shelf of Gundam since Gundam Wing back in 2001 or whatever.

Bandai just like...stopped shipping them up here to Canada. Same thing with MOTU and TF. Hasbro and Mattel both confessed they have neglected this market and all I see are empty shelves or dozens of the unwanted ones at Wal-Mart and TRU when I goto these sections...but at least they are there...unlike Gundam.

There are a peg or two of SDs but that's it. I haven't seen MSIA's in 2 years, and we got less than 1/5th of the lineup. There were tons of Gundam toys that never made it up here. It's like after the UC toys failed to sell, either none of the stores restocked or Bandai neglected to restock us. Even before then, the only 12" DX figure we got was Wing.

The problem is also that Gundam and Transformers aren't being aired on Canadian television. There is simply no interest. Our cartoon stations are restricted by Canadian regulations and stringent requirements on broadcasting as well as dwindling air time for imports. YTV said that Gundam "wasn't the type of show they wanted" and instead we get YuGiOh and Beyblades over and over again. It's all BS and hypocrisy. I'm not sure we'll even get TF: Energon.

Edited by ComicKaze

Zeta isn't getting a blitz. From the sound of it, Zeta will get a niche release. <_<

Yup. Thats how it works.

Release the best Gundam story with no promo,limited DVDs and a severe lack of toy/model support in the US.

Then release flashier substandard Gundam shows with more support that a wonder bra.

Stupid.

Zeta isn't getting a blitz. From the sound of it, Zeta will get a niche release. <_<

Yup. Thats how it works.

Release the best Gundam story with no promo,limited DVDs and a severe lack of toy/model support in the US.

Then release flashier substandard Gundam shows with more support that a wonder bra.

Stupid.

Well... here in the States (sorry Canada...) Bandai obviously is aiming their product at children... not late 20's otaku. Look at the way they have labeled and advertised their model kits.

It's no real surprise that they would choose to push the newer Seed over Zeta to the kiddies.

If only Bandai would capitalize on the amount of imported releases they could push to that "niche" market here in the US... 'tis really a shame... but that's demographic marketing for you.

Yup. Thats how it works.

Stupid.

Well... be glad they aren't broadcasting it on CN. Theres no way you can show Zeta on CN without butchering it beyond recognition(sp). <_<

Yup. Thats how it works.

Stupid.

You say this as if it's something surprising. Bandai tried the big marketing push a few years ago with MSG, and it didn't do too well. Honestly, who would expect them to put such a marketing blitz behind Zeta, which is not only almost 20 years old, but the sequel to a series that never even finished airing here. Of course Bandai is going to promote the hell out of SEED because it's brand new and kid-friendly. I personally don't care if Zeta is on TV or not...I just want DVDs.

I think passive anime fans stay away because its too big to really grasp, I mean there like 40 or so DVDs with the Gundam name everytime I go to the video store, people just don't know where to start... Then of course there are the people who decided to try Gundam out and grabbed Endless Waltz (My mistake) as their intro and have been turned off ever since.

I've seen 0083 give the best initial reaction.

Watching Endless Waltz first is a grand mistake, though the designs were good, the story was kind of ick.

Even if there isn't a marketing blitz for Zeta, remember G Gundam didn't really have a blitz either. It actually greatly exceeded expectation during its US tenure, so they cranked out a lot more merchandise for it. There will surely be a lot of MSIA's popping onto the shelves. Zeta does have a of of toy fodder I doubt they will let go to waste. It won't affect me though at all, since all I want now is a HGUC Quebley and I'm done. A MG Freedom or a Providence would be nice too. Like said by others above, what I really want are my DVD's of the shows.

G Gundam had it's run, but it's beena while now with no new Gundam on US TV. Had Zeta aired in fall like originally believed the interest would not have waned.

I do have to wonder how much interest they are really planning to spark by putting Seed on Saturday night only. That is so wierd to do right off the bat. Unless it goes to Toonami or Adult Swim a few weeks later, which there has been no mention of yet.

Edited by Anubis

Another reason for this is that they seem to be releasing only the newer shows...or at least, only the newer shows have done well.

Let's face it, unless you are an old school Otaku, the original series looks like absolute crap, and the kids that got used to the pretty good animation in Wing will not be able to sit through the original series. Kids today just don't appreciate the old animation, and the obstacles they faced 25 years ago when they did all this stuff by :o HAND :o . They tried to show 0079 several times, but it never made a full run on CN.

If they ran Zeta on CN, it would probably not do all that well because of the older animation style. ZZ would fare the same I'm afraid.

In comparison though, 08th Team, and 0083 have made several successful runs as did Wing, and G Gundam. Why? - Because they are newer, and the animation is of better quality.

Given this, I predict that SEED will be even bigger than Wing here since it is new and flashy.

Also, the toys from Z and ZZ are sparse, and have no DX equivalents save for PG models which are far too expensive for the US Market.

However, the 12" Strike HG Model from SEED feels ALOT like a DX toy when completed, and it is cheap, so I would not be surprised to see them develop a toy from that kit at all.

Unfortunate, but at least we will get to see all the shows on DVD in time. Whichever ones make broadcast, cool, but they'll make their money off the DVD releases of the others anyway. If the newer ones are the only ones that make it to US broadcast then fine. They have to do what will generate ratings best among their target audience.

The DVD's are probably the best bet for the UC crowd anyway. No worry about edits or anything. If Seed generates interest into dipping into the UC back catalog, then even better.

Honestly, even if they were to air Zeta, I'd miss an episode here and there anyway. I'll be sitting through the DVD's when they come.

Edited by Anubis

Gundam interest dying in the US? I dunno I don't hang out at playgrounds. :D

I do see some toys/model kits at TRU but not as much as few years ago. Once SEED hits there will be more.

I really don't have a problem with kids not being into old Gundam series or old anime for that matter. When you were a kid did you want to watch something that was 20-25 years old? I doubt it.

Its just common sense that Bandai push SEED over Zeta. Sure the old veteran anime fan will be pissed but Bandai isn't selling toys to them.

Edited by dejr8bud

today i was in the mood to pick up a nice msia i goto the gundams ection at target and its about 1/4 the size it used to be, had notihng new, just leftover g gundam rejects like toro and mermaid gundam, i went to walmart and tru and it was the same story, wuts the deal?

that's pretty much the case across most retail-stores (target, walmart, etc, etc).

I think (i'm not sure, tho) that only TRU still have some non-G-Gundam/non-SD stuff stocks.

I've seen 0083 give the best initial reaction.

David Hingtgen Posted: Feb 24 2004, 02:06 PM 

Group: Members

Member No.: 16

Shin Densetsu: F-35's don't carry Sidewinders either. No AIM-9's, and no gun=NO dogfighting. So it's superior agility compared to the Harrier is worthless there.

Endless Waltz first is a grand mistake.

Even if there isn't a marketing blitz for Zeta, remember G Gundam didn't really have a blitz either.  It actually greatly exceeded expectation during its US tenure, so they cranked out a lot more merchandise for it.  There will surely be a lot of MSIA's popping onto the shelves.  Zeta does have a of of toy fodder I doubt they will let go to waste.  It won't affect me though at all, since all I want now is a HGUC Quebley and I'm done.  A MG Freedom or a Providence would be nice too.  Like said by others above, what I really want are my DVD's of the shows.

G Gundam had it's run, but it's beena while now with no new Gundam on US TV.  Had Zeta aired in fall like originally believed the interest would not have waned.

I do have to wonder how much interest they are really planning to spark by putting Seed on Saturday night only.  That is so wierd to do right off the bat.  Unless it goes to Toonami or Adult Swim a few weeks later, which there has been no mention of yet.

"Endless Waltz first is a grand mistake." How come? The mech designs where good to me. As for the storyline, it wasn't that much to get excited about, same old, same old. Btw, those SD's are fugly!

, which there has been no mention of yet.

"Endless Waltz first is a grand mistake." How come? The mech designs where good to me. As for the storyline, it wasn't that much to get excited about, same old, same old. Btw, those SD's are fugly!

I didn't mean it like that, and fixed the post. I meant EW is not a good Gundam to start with. Yeah the designs were good, but the story lacked compared to the other ones and also kind of required having seen Wing first. I did enjoy it, but you have to see Wing first to appreicate it at all properly.

When most people I've seen ask to see Gundam for the first time, they want to see crap blow up, so the strong UC stories and action in the OVA's make for a good first impression.

Edited by Anubis

However, the 12" Strike HG Model from SEED feels ALOT like a DX toy when completed, and it is cheap, so I would not be surprised to see them develop a toy from that kit at all.

From your lips to Bandai's ears, Mechamaniac...

It's been too long since a domestic 12" DX has come around. I know they have one planned, and it would be great if it were based of the HG Model.

Also, AgentONE -

Go pick up MS 08th Team. As a fan of Mac Plus and DYRL, I think you'll dig it quite a bit. It'll definitely erase the funk of Endless Waltz from your mind.

I have notice the same thing lack of new Gundam figures on shelves beside G and SD Gundam. I still want for the US release of the 2nd Version Wing Zero. TRU, Target and Walmart the shelves are bare at times.

I think Zeta is going straight to DVD from what I heard and SEED to air in April on Saturdays. That would be a feat because SEED would need some butchering to make it even Adult Swim viewable. I saw the commercial too for the SEED figures and hope they hit the shelves soon. Hopefully airing more Gundam will get fans of all ages buying more Gundam. SD right now is not doing it for me. G Gundam never did it for me so I let those figures stay on the shelf.

if gundam died in the states i would be neither happy nor sad. i simply don't care.

to me, gundam is a flat souless show with idioticly flashy robots. i just can't get into it. i think part of the problem with the figures is that most hero gundams have all three primary colors and big splashes of white. generaly that kind of color scheme 1) looks tacky and 2) is reserved for preschool toys.

maybe that sort of thing doesn't matter in japan, but in the states that will kill the young adult market like nothing else.

$0.02

Actually Seed wouldn't even need to be touched to air on Adult Swim. Toonami, yeah it would have to go under the knife, but Adult Swim is airing Inu Yasha Uncut, and so far they haven't touched Witch Hunter Robin either. Adult swim has been improving of late. The last show that was butchered was Kenshin, unfortunately (and a damn shame), but that was because it was intended for toonami and that what was what CN had to work with at the time it moved to Saturday. Kenshin never touched Adult Swim. Blue Gender wasn't badly cut either, and quite a bit was allowed through the edits.

Seed should be fine on Adult Swim. I would venture to say Zeta would be fine too, in fact I remember reading they had planned to do like Wing and air it on Toonami edited and on Adult Swim uncut. Of coursse that was when they were planning on Zeta airing next. Seed on Saturday is definately a strange move, though I admit they need something good on Saturday to beef up ratings other than Justice League. Hopefully It will go to adult swim after Witch Hunter Robin finishes it's second or third run or replace oneof the longer running shows (How many times in a row are they going to air Cowboy Bebop and not somethig else?)

Supply and Demand.

Before Gundam graced our shores there was a diehard underground fanbase buying everything they could manage... but it was a tiny tiny amount of product being moved.

Then Gundam came ashore... and it came ashore like the Marines with a marketing blitz that Ike himself would be proud of. Supply went waaaaaaaay up and during the blitz so did demand... now it is a few years later and the luster of Gundam has worn off on the american consumer just as it did for Pokemon, Furby, Tickle me Elmo and Cabbage patch kids.

Gundam became a fad, they overhyped and over stocked it. Now it is suffering the consumer burnout trend that most boy's toys go into.

The only parts that would have to be cut from SEED to make adult swim are

1. The Kira getting dressed with naked frey in his bed

2. and maybe some of the exploding people scenes at the end

Fllay was under the covers still, so they didn't show anything. However, I could see that piece'll be edited out outside adult swim. People complained about that scene in Japan too. It was good to see a main cast member offically score for once though. :)

Considering now the target audience, I guess I have to concede they might choose to edit parts of Alaska's Cyclops explosion, and the Genesis's hit on the moon base. Some of the people exploding in the end too I guess. Those are the only "gory" parts of the show really. Other than that, it should be safe.

No big deal really if they do.