VF-1AG (Armored GERWALK) 3D Printed Prototype!!!

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I'm very happy to announce and reveal the pictures for our recently completed prototype.  It's been more than (20) years in the making through lots of disappointment and also success I never gave up to make this a reality.  I have to give a lot of credit to my good friend @magicsp00n and partner in this endeavor.  He and I worked together to come up with the Armored GERWALK (AG) armor set.  Tony is very talented and I sincerely appreciate everything!  

As some of you know the history there was a contest, we started with the Yamato 1/48 in coordination with @fulcy.  Later on in 2018 I invested a lot of money to finish the first two completed AG resin kits, which can be seen in this thread:

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45289-armored-gerwalk-project-vf-1/#comment-1376974

I decided to use the Bandai Hi-Metal R (HMR) 1/100 VF-1 as the underlying base for the AG set for several reasons.  The size, the price, the availability, the flexibility, a plethora of VF-1 variants, because Tony & I owned quite a few, our friends love them, most Japanese resin kits especially transformable ones are that scale, plus all of the various 1/100 model kits to display alongside, 3D print size, material usage, shipping costs, and most importantly the great detail and fit of the Bandai HMR GBP-1 armor which has many similarities to the AG set in the legs, arms, forearms, and so forth.  

I hope to offer additional scale/manufacturer options in the future.  We're not yet ready to offer these for sale, the purpose of this thread is to show off the prototype, and I've commissioned a finished (painted/weathered/decaled) set to share with everyone soon.  To be clear we don't plan to make any structural or detail changes to the prototype at this time, we're happy with what we have.

We plan to sell unfinished 3D printed boxed armor sets, finished boxed armor sets, and I have been working with someone to make posters, T-shirts, patches and then the box art.  I'm hoping my good friend @Anasazi37might be willing to make the waterslide decals since he's the best I've ever met.  To be clear, we have no plan to sell the STL files to protect our investment of time and money.  Unfortunately as many of you know, there's some dishonest people that pirate other people's work.

To be clear, this armor set will work with any HMR VF-1, except of course for two seater variants which I would like to make modifications to another set in the future.  Your feedback regarding the following will be appreciated:

1.) Would you consider to buy a set, if so how many, and would you prefer an unfinished set and/or a professionally built limited edition set ready to install keeping in mind the price will be as reasonable as possible?

2.) Taking into consideration the price of a Bandai HMR VF-1J & GBP-1 set upon release to present being $150 to $200 and the fact it's mass produced.  What would you consider to be a reasonable price for limited production and never before released set of 3D printed AG armor unfinished with a box, box art, and a finished AG armor set with the same?

3.) I'm considering to offer finished AG armor sets that are customized to the specific VF-1 Valkyrie you will display it with.  For example, a Max & Milia blue/red/white scheme and so forth.  Please let me know if this interests you.

4.) Lastly we would require a down payment especially for a finished set since the artist has to be paid for the commission, but likewise for a reasonable deposit for 3D printed kits due to material costs, time and to verify the commitment of the customer.

Sincerely,

Christopher & Tony 

Edited by ChristopherB
Revision

Posted (edited)

This amazing 1/100 Armored GERWALK set for the Wave VF-1 model kit was very inspirational!  Our finished prototype will look quite similar in painting and details.

Wave 1-100 VF-1AG Custom (a).jpg

Wave 1-100 VF-1AG Custom (b).jpg

Wave 1-100 VF-1AG Custom (c).jpg

Wave 1-100 VF-1AG Custom (d).jpg

Edited by ChristopherB
Images

Prototype AG Armor Set with opening shoulder missile hatches, cockpit armor opens, turret rotates, gun barrels move independently via balljoints, etc

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (1).jpg

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (2).jpg

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (3).jpg

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (4).jpg

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (5).jpg

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (6).jpg

Bandai 1-100 HMR VF-1 Armored GERWALK 3D Printed Set (7).jpg

Posted (edited)

@Big shaha I love it!

@RaikkonenThanks for your inquiry.  Yes, the armor is meant to attach securely much like the Bandai HMR GBP-1 set.  Although I haven't "swooshed" one around, I think it'll do quite well.  Even though the AG is most likely more heavy than the GBP-1, I'm sure it could fly via GERWALK mode to where the action is, but I'm sure it would be quite top heavy and not very maneuverable.  Most likely they were used at strategic points as a last line of defense rather than being offensive.  Elegoo Saturn resin printer was used by Tony to make the prototype as well as future orders.

Here's video showing how everything attaches:

Edited by ChristopherB
Revision

Posted (edited)

Sweet! Watching this to see how it all pans out. Bummer on the STL files, but I get it... Would've put my resin printer to work on this one stat.

Have you considered pitching this on Backerkit or similar option? Depending on how you structure it, the 2-seater variant could be a stretch goal option, etc...

Edited by Test_Pilot_2
Madness... Utter and complete insanity.

Regarding the questions.

1. I'd but multiple qty, and that would likely increase depending on your final decisions wrt. #3....scales and brand diversity.

2. Similar to #1, if price is under 2x mass produced basis, my volume will be higher since I could afford more than if it's 3x or >. 

3. Again similarly, I'd buy more if it matched brand/scale in my pile of shame.  Gut says follow the mass market volume to avoid diminishing returns.  1/100 HMR.  1/60 Yamato top the chart.  1/60 dx chogokin is predictable. If it could somehow match ARII 1/100 or Hasegawa 1/48 that would expand interest base... if strong enough to support the weight. To that end, for lighter captive mechanisms, did you consider magnets?

Box Art and swag is a solid idea as I hear Yogurt the Wise say "Merchandizing!" ...(Spaceballs).  And price point probably appeals to most of us.

4. Deposit expected. Your investment is obvious. But bear in mind those of us who discern a 6 year development ramp so far may be a bit squeamish on how assured a final delivery will be... and also  how soon delivery will be  upon your posting the order/deposit window.

Aa a tagalong to #3, this design is close to SK's better-illustrated VF25 armored valk alternative concepts.  Whether elements of that help the more sparsely illustrated vf1 render, or it becomes a future project, it's cool for similar bulky reasons.  

Really happy to see this project pop from the shadows!

Wow! Awesome ! @ChristopherB congratulations on this magnificent project. I'm very much interested in 1/72. As a kit i can build and paint myself. Will be patiently looking out for more info. This is very exciting!

9 hours ago, ChristopherB said:

@Big shaha I love it!

@RaikkonenThanks for your inquiry.  Yes, the armor is meant to attach securely much like the Bandai HMR GBP-1 set.  Although I haven't "swooshed" one around, I think it'll do quite well.  Even though the AG is most likely more heavy than the GBP-1, I'm sure it could fly via GERWALK mode to where the action is, but I'm sure it would be quite top heavy and not very maneuverable.  Most likely they were used at strategic points as a last line of defense rather than being offensive.  Elegoo Saturn resin printer was used by Tony to make the prototype as well as future orders.

Here's video showing how everything attaches:

Thanks for the feedback and great video. Great work. 

But I avoid collecting and working with any resin. Sorry. 

Since you're not selling the STL file, is there any chance you might be willing to upscale and print this in 1/72?

I would buy a set to modify for a 1/72 Hasegawa Gerwalk.

7 hours ago, flyboy said:

Since you're not selling the STL file, is there any chance you might be willing to upscale and print this in 1/72?

I would buy a set to modify for a 1/72 Hasegawa Gerwalk.

The abundance of 1/100 legacy kits by ARII etc and 1/72 Hasegawa really makes sense if the posing stability is good after adding the weight 

Just a couple quick bits of info:

* The resin used is an ABS-like, which I've found to be good for this kind of project.

* The parts in the photos and video Christopher posted above are just as they came off the printer, with no cleanup. I've got to where I hate sanding bits so I've designed this set to require as little prep as possible.