The Legend of Zelda Live Action Movie

The Legend of Zelda's got a broad strokes universal adaptor plot that can be neatly slotted into a bunch of different aesthetics without issue.  The creative team working on it ought to have a pretty free hand in coming up with their own aesthetic and approach to the story. 😁

The only issue is that Link will almost certainly actually have dialogue... which will be every bit as weird as hearing a Mario that doesn't have Charles Martinet's over-the-top Italian accent.  Not a dealbreaker, just a weird thought as someone who's used to Link as an unspeaking protagonist.

52 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Legend of Zelda's got a broad strokes universal adaptor plot that can be neatly slotted into a bunch of different aesthetics without issue.  The creative team working on it ought to have a pretty free hand in coming up with their own aesthetic and approach to the story. 😁

The only issue is that Link will almost certainly actually have dialogue... which will be every bit as weird as hearing a Mario that doesn't have Charles Martinet's over-the-top Italian accent.  Not a dealbreaker, just a weird thought as someone who's used to Link as an unspeaking protagonist.

Just like when we all saw Masterchief's face in the HALO series, lol.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It’s definitely gonna be a little weird hearing a voice, especially since he hasn’t had one since the early 90’s. As far as the og stuff, your inner voice reacting to his situation was basically supposed to be his voice. Wether that was screaming out in joy when you finally beat a tough spot in the game or frustration at the cost of an item and grumbling in your head about how much you wanted to smack the dude running the shop. The Link is silent thing has kinda become a bigger idea in later games especially with ones that have voice acting.
Something like breath of the wild kinda takes that away and makes Link seem almost mentally deficient. It’s a great game as far as gameplay, but the characters and cutscenes kinda suck. 

If they don't squeeze in a healthy dose of "Well, exCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS", I refuse to watch it. :lol: 

Otherwise.. eh, just will wait and see.  I'm mostly curious where they'll throw the story in on the timeline.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

If they don't squeeze in a healthy dose of "Well, exCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS", I refuse to watch it. :lol: 

download.jpeg.330da60a81304597bfac80502f0b70bc.jpeg

Yeah, at this point there's more than few settings to get into: medieval urban, post apocalyptic, ocean island nations, and even a mulitiverse route to choose from. 

I just want them to work in scene where Link rushes into an occupied house and breaks every vase in sight.

5 hours ago, Big s said:

It’s definitely gonna be a little weird hearing a voice, especially since he hasn’t had one since the early 90’s. As far as the og stuff, your inner voice reacting to his situation was basically supposed to be his voice. Wether that was screaming out in joy when you finally beat a tough spot in the game or frustration at the cost of an item and grumbling in your head about how much you wanted to smack the dude running the shop. The Link is silent thing has kinda become a bigger idea in later games especially with ones that have voice acting.
Something like breath of the wild kinda takes that away and makes Link seem almost mentally deficient. It’s a great game as far as gameplay, but the characters and cutscenes kinda suck. 

The Philips CD-i games never happened.

It was a mass hallucination.  A bad future prevented by the Hero of Time.  Moonlight reflecting off of a misidentified aircraft through swamp gas on a horrible night to have a curse.  Something like that.  😛

In all seriousness, I prefer Link as a silent protagonist in the games for pretty much the reasons you said.  He's usually a deadpan stoic in cutscenes (unless you count the Wind Waker game and the similarly styled spinoffs like Spirit Tracks) and his status as a heroic mute meant that you could project whatever personality reflected your gameplay style onto him. 

Giving Link an actual personality of his own is going to be really contentious no matter what direction they go because of all the ****ing memes and fan comics and so on about Link as an emotionally vacant stoic, a heroic sociopath, a gremlin-esque kleptomaniac, a snarky action hero, leeroy jenkins moron, a closeted femboy... and so on. I'm sure they'll go with something comparatively safe, but the paths not taken will be talked about for years.

... y'know what, **** it, let's give a whole new generation an anxiety disorder and adapt Majora's Mask.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Otherwise.. eh, just will wait and see.  I'm mostly curious where they'll throw the story in on the timeline.

Does it even need to be on the timeline?  I mean, the Legend of Zelda timeline's pretty much entirely for show and has no bearing on any of the stories that make it up.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Does it even need to be on the timeline?  I mean, the Legend of Zelda timeline's pretty much entirely for show and has no bearing on any of the stories that make it up.

I took a couple decades off and now he has a motorcycle and can make vehicles. Heck I don’t even remember if he could ride a horse before the 90’s

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's really what I mean, in the sense of there really being no defined start or end.  They could put it before or after everything that already exists, as well as anywhere in the middle.

I kind of hesitate to even float the idea (pun absolutely intended), but Windwaker already set the precedent for discovering ancient ruins in a completely post-Hyrule world.  They could use that same setup in pretty much any environment.  I could even see them throwing out a Hyrulean spin on the mythology of something like Camelot, and the return of Arthur, set in a modern or future fantasy world.

All that being said though, I really would rather they not jump too far out of the established games and their events.  Some mix of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and the earlier entries sounds much more reasonable if they don't want to drive off the fans before they even get started.

I'm a sucker for home, Nintendo console (funny that we should specify this, hahaha...) Zelda games, but I'm not really looking forward to this movie. I liked the 15-minute cartoon from 1990 or so, but I was also a kid back then.

Assuming they actually go through with this, my big wish would be that the story was more or less ALttP or OoT. Those I feel are the foundation for Zelda lore, and if I have any nitpicks on the BotW era, it's that we've gotten a bit away from some core Zelda concepts such as the Triforce.

If they had more time to flesh out the world, I’d like to see them add in all the races and such (Gerudo, Rito, Goron, fish-folk 😅, etc.)

But being a movie, I could see some form of Gannon getting the Triforce of Power, Zelda gets captured, Link goes to rescue her.

Keep the story basic for a movie.

Whether that means Link is a knight protecting Zelda or just some schlub that walks into a cave and is given a sword by some kooky old dude, I’ll leave up to the writers.

But there’s enough tapestry to play with and add, if they use those general plot points above.

Edited by Mog

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That's really what I mean, in the sense of there really being no defined start or end.  They could put it before or after everything that already exists, as well as anywhere in the middle.

More than having no defined start or end, what I'm getting at is that the timeline itself is almost entirely arbitrary.

As a franchise, The Legend of Zelda doesn't really do continuity between games on any appreciable scale.  There are a few games that are sequels in principle, but in practice only two or three actually reference the events of the previous game and no one Hero explicitly appears more than twice.  All that can really be said is:

Spoiler
  • Skyward Sword comes first, because it's the origin story of Ganon/Ganondorf who plagues the entire rest of the metaseries.
  • Zelda II: the Adventure of Link happens after The Legend of Zelda, because it's explicitly the same Link on another adventure after saving Hyrule.
  • Link's Awakening happens after A Link to the Past because it's explicitly the same Link on another adventure after saving Hyrule.
  • Majora's Mask happens after Ocarina of Time because it's explicitly the same Child Link after averting the Bad Future.
  • Phantom Hourglass happens after Wind Waker because it's explicitly the same Link on another adventure.
  • Tears of the Kingdom happens after Breath of the Wild because it's explicitly the same Link and Zelda only a few years later.

Other than that, it could be happening in literally any order and it wouldn't make a bit of difference... and with the exception of the first one and the last one on that list, it's more a polite suggestion than a hard rule.

The film doesn't need to pay any heed to the game's supposed timeline because the games generally don't either... in part because most of them were made before the timeline was. :rofl:

They can have a free hand and do whatever the hell they want to bring us an engaging moviegoing experience without being beholden to some Holy Writ of Canon.  The Legend of Zelda is like Bioshock Infinite, except instead of "there's always a man, a lighthouse, and a city" it's a hero, a distressed Princess who's usually named Zelda, the same old eldrich horror pig demon man.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

More than having no defined start or end, what I'm getting at is that the timeline itself is almost entirely arbitrary.

As a franchise, The Legend of Zelda doesn't really do continuity between games on any appreciable scale.  There are a few games that are sequels in principle, but in practice only two or three actually reference the events of the previous game and no one Hero explicitly appears more than twice.  All that can really be said is:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Skyward Sword comes first, because it's the origin story of Ganon/Ganondorf who plagues the entire rest of the metaseries.
  • Zelda II: the Adventure of Link happens after The Legend of Zelda, because it's explicitly the same Link on another adventure after saving Hyrule.
  • Link's Awakening happens after A Link to the Past because it's explicitly the same Link on another adventure after saving Hyrule.
  • Majora's Mask happens after Ocarina of Time because it's explicitly the same Child Link after averting the Bad Future.
  • Phantom Hourglass happens after Wind Waker because it's explicitly the same Link on another adventure.
  • Tears of the Kingdom happens after Breath of the Wild because it's explicitly the same Link and Zelda only a few years later.

Other than that, it could be happening in literally any order and it wouldn't make a bit of difference... and with the exception of the first one and the last one on that list, it's more a polite suggestion than a hard rule.

The film doesn't need to pay any heed to the game's supposed timeline because the games generally don't either... in part because most of them were made before the timeline was. :rofl:

They can have a free hand and do whatever the hell they want to bring us an engaging moviegoing experience without being beholden to some Holy Writ of Canon.  The Legend of Zelda is like Bioshock Infinite, except instead of "there's always a man, a lighthouse, and a city" it's a hero, a distressed Princess who's usually named Zelda, the same old eldrich horror pig demon man.

But the real question is:

Spoiler

Is he going to be on a never-ending quest to save his girlfriend? :p