[Disney] Moana 2

Is this where Maui pushes for himself to be the Tribal Chief despite Cody, I mean, Moana doing most of the hard work to return the heart and lead her people to a new island?

😜

(Sorry, a bunch of pro wrestling references there.)

Given that Maui is a demigod, and a board member, he doesn't need to go through a Royal Rumble to get ahead of the son of an American fat ass.  (included reference to real life as well as make believe, and yes, Dusty was a bit on the heavy side, and please a few new moves that isn't the same variation of the Stunner... insane elbow for example)

Edited by kalvasflam

Hopefully it's better than FROZEN 2. I really enjoy MOANA for its Maori roots as my deceased step-dad is quarter Maori from Rotorua, New Zealand. NZ is like a second home for me and I've had 3 extended stays there since 1999. During my visit last August 2023 I heard the Moana soundtrack in retail stores and outside schools so its still very popular there. 

Edited by TangledThorns

If it continues the story in a meaningful fashion and doesn't retread material to get there (looking at you Incredibles 2) then I'm fine with sequels. They are continuations of stories and characters I like, so it is nice to see more of them. Plus, they've been doing sequels for decades, so it's a lot more than just a 'whiff.'

Again, if the story is good and continues the adventure, then I'm all up for it.:D

And Frozen 2 was awesome!:p

Edited by Thom

Most sequels Disney put out in the past (before mid-2010s) were Straight-to-DVD fare, and invariably inferior to the original to varying degrees from mildly passable to downright awful; at least they were never meant for theatrical release, and only intended as cheap cash grabs for diehard fans of a particular character or for little kids, who consume everything regardless of quality, to annoy their parents into buying.

There is always room for a well crafted sequel to further characters in new stories -- classic Pixar (under Lasseter), the Cars franchise notwithstanding, was a master at it -- but the question is: can current Disney truly come up with anything worthy?  The fact they have nothing original in the pipeline other than sequels to things that were good under far more competent and talented leadership that have been pushed out, is very telling.  If they do make something good, great!.. but I wouldn't hold my breath.

16 hours ago, jenius said:

Frozen 2 makes zero sense but Frozen felt much more sequel friendly than Moana. I'm very skeptical of this.

I have yet to see a Disney animated sequel that is better than the first. Ralph Breaks The Internet was equal to the first movie imho. Most sequel titles with just a number only don't ever seem to be an improvement over the original and comes across as lazy. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of one. Hence why I'm sure many are skeptical.

edit: Toy Story 2, 3, etc all seem to be better than the original.

Edited by TangledThorns

Toy Story 2 and 3 would like a word with you. 😉

Personally, I enjoyed Wreck-It-Ralph more than the sequel.  But the Princess bits and the Slaughter Race solo were pretty amusing.

1 minute ago, Mog said:

Toy Story 2 and 3 would like a word with you. 😉

Personally, I enjoyed Wreck-It-Ralph more than the sequel.  But the Princess bits and the Slaughter Race solo were pretty amusing.

I do have to agree about Toy Story 2 and 3. But that’s definitely from a different era and management of Pixar 

Toy Story has had a number of good sequels, the bet of which, IMO, being the last one. The feelz as Woody was saying goodbye always gets me.

As for Frozen 2, the only thing I didn't get was what happened to the Fifth Spirit during the intro events? What happened to it that it needed to be 'reborn' in Elsa? Otherwise, it was a pretty tight and simple story, and it was made by the same team who did the first one which helps a lot.

The new director for Moana 2 has a good run working on the some successful films, Megamind, Raya, the newer Lion King and How to Train Your Dragon for a few. So, here's to hoping a lot of the lessons from those movies have rubbed off on him.

My main complaint with FROZEN 2 is that it was too heavy on nostalgia/flash backs from the first movie which to me is lazy and didn't feel fresh. I'm hoping Moana 2 can learn from this. Shame that can't be more original with the title too. I think adding Maori language to the title would have been more fitting, they use Maori for the songs ffs. MOANA: Tangata Whenua (people of the land) for example.

On a side note I'm not a fan of The Rock as an on screen actor but do enjoy his voice work in animation, looovvee "You're Welcome" so my expectations will be high for the sequel's music and songs too. 

And I really liked the flashback scenes in F2. :lol: IMO, they added to the history of the characters. That's not to say I'd want them to keep doing that in Frozen 3... In doing another one, it's time to move forward with a new story.

As to the title, I like the idea, but I hate to say that most people may not get it, and it might turn them off. 'What is Tenaga Whenowat..?'

And if you're not a fan of the Rock's live acting, how do you feel about him reprising his role in the live action Moana?

Edited by Thom

On 2/9/2024 at 8:41 AM, Thom said:

And I really liked the flashback scenes in F2. :lol: IMO, they added to the history of the characters. That's not to say I'd want them to keep doing that in Frozen 3... In doing another one, it's time to move forward with a new story.

As to the title, I like the idea, but I hate to say that most people may not get it, and it might turn them off. 'What is Tenaga Whenowat..?'

And if you're not a fan of the Rock's live acting, how do you feel about him reprising his role in the live action Moana?

The FROZEN flashbacks was overused in too many scenes imho. Most successful sequels have little to no flashbacks. Reference sure, but no flashbacks.

Jury is still out for The Rock in a live action Moana but is that a good idea at this point? Seems kinda redundant with another animated movie coming out so soon.

6 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The FROZEN flashbacks was overused in too many scenes imho. Most successful sequels have little to no flashbacks. Reference sure, but no flashbacks.

Jury is still out for The Rock in a live action Moana but is that a good idea at this point? Seems kinda redundant with another animated movie coming out so soon.

I don't consider flashbacks to be a reason for success or failure in a sequel. There have been a lot of sequels with no flashbacks that have just sucked on their own merit.

As for live action Moana, I'd stay for a double feature if they were playing the animated sequel with it back to back!:D