VF-1 in Blender

The Original Cobywan

After a decade and a half of being blown away by the CG artists here I finally have building my own Valkyrie in Blender.  I'm playing around with proportions of the many modules that make up the craft to try and balance the appeal of each mode.  I may throw in a few new interpretations of my own as I progress.

I don't expect to come close to Olitech's level but his work gives me a high benchmark to strive for.

Front.png

Side.png

Top.png

1 hour ago, Beko Pharm said:

Wild respect, looks awesome 👍 :) Blender is one of the programs I have to relearn every few years. Not using it often enough so the UI never… sticks?

The UI seems to have stabilized since version 2.79.  Version 4.0 is coming this November.  That might be a great time to jump back into it. 

I am seriously debating getting out of ACAD, but all my models are in DWG and a pain to convert, and I am such a solid modeller that it will be hard to switch over.   Everyone tells me to go to Blender, but I am hesitant.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

I am seriously debating getting out of ACAD, but all my models are in DWG and a pain to convert, and I am such a solid modeller that it will be hard to switch over.   Everyone tells me to go to Blender, but I am hesitant.

That would be a horrible transition.  The workstyle is so different.  I used AutoCAD for ages.  Then Rhinoceros 3d.  At least Rhino 3d is a perpetual license instead of a subscription service.

12 hours ago, The Original Cobywan said:

That would be a horrible transition.  The workstyle is so different.  I used AutoCAD for ages.  Then Rhinoceros 3d.  At least Rhino 3d is a perpetual license instead of a subscription service.

I am still using ACAD-2016, the last perpetual license you could get.

Man, Rhino 3D takes me back.. I grew up on that, before I had to move to 3DS Max for the plugins and animation tools for flight sim models.

I still miss how useful and intuitive a lot of its UI was, especially allowing transforms like rotations and scales to just snap to an object to give you an exact match.  It would probably be a better tool for making printable models as well, but I've made Max work for me, at least most of the time.

Blender is truly an entirely different beast, but that model is looking good!

I wonder if this could be turned into a mod for X4 Foundations or something 🤔 They use Blender for their ship models and it's so well modifiable that people do total conversations for it - e.g. for Star Wars. One of my favourites for this is a BSG Viper.

• 2 weeks later...