Batman The Caped Crusader animated series

Glad to see Bruce Timm's name attached. Tim Burton's depiction of Batman changed my perspective 180 degrees, having grown up watching the Adam West series as a wee lad, and the Superfriends as I got older.  While I enjoyed both, my impression of Batman as a character, having never read the comics, was of a cheesy guy in a cheesy looking suit who relies almost entirely on his utility belt to solve every challenge. In fact, until Burton's film, my nickname for Batman was Utility Belt Man, such was my low opinion of him. So, Batman happened, and then Batman: The Animated Series made its debut, and it was just so well done. Although Burton's film was the catalyst to put Batman back in the popular consciousness as a serious and dark crimefighter, B:TAS , IMHO, was a superior medium for telling his stories thanks to Bruce Timm and his team. We also have him and Paul Dini to thank for creating Harley Quinn, who's become one of the most notable villains in Batman's Rogue's Gallery, along with her Puddin'. The stamp of The Animated Series continues to reverberate and inform how we think Batman should be almost thirty years on. To create something that lasting and influential is a hell of a legacy.

Honorable mentions to Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, and Arleen Sorkin who brought Bats, Joker, and Harley to life in such memorable fashion. It's still hard for me to hear any other voices coming from these characters.

With the combined talents and experience of Timm, Abrams, and Reeves behind the scenes of this new show, I have faith that it'll be worth watching. If anything causes concern, putting it on Cartoon Network, who haven't been the best hosts for DC shows in the past, gives pause. I want the show to be on regular tv rather than subscription, but CN, with its erratic scheduling and seeming disdain for anything that isn't tactless and raunchy, as well as anything that actually has decent animation, I wonder that they wish to partner with them. There's not good history there, and I think they'd do better to put it on a different network. Guess we'll see.

My biggest concern is JJ Abrams’ involvement in all this.

Guy can’t develop a good story or deep characters that can survive even a minute’s worth of analysis/review.

If Timm’s truly the guy running the show, that would alleviate some of my worries.

39 minutes ago, Mog said:

Guy can’t develop a good story or deep characters that can survive even a minute’s worth of analysis/review.

If Timm’s truly the guy running the show, that would alleviate some of my worries.

Abrams...That means there's a conspiracy in the GCPD involving the Court of Owls who are being manipulated by the League (Ra's Al Ghul's League). Batman's creation was orchestrated by the League as a backup tool in case the Court decided to go rogue.

...Or some ridiculous convoluted BS.

44 minutes ago, Mog said:

Yep. I think putting Timm in ultimate control is the best move they can make. He's more than proven he knows Batman inside and out, can craft a good story, and has an amazing eye for the details that make the world of Gotham feel real, gritty, and believable.  To not give him lead would be an enormous waste of his experience.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, no3Ljm said:

I thought for sure that since the show wasn’t cancelled that hbo max was still gonna hold on to it. Amazon isn’t as big on the cancel craze that Netflix and Max have been on, so it’s probably for the best