Tron: Ares

Thom

Whether or not CLU's plan would have worked depends a lot on 'hand-wavism.' A lot of sci-fi works best with a certain level of suspension of belief, esp since that in movies reality/physics generally bend to the will of the story. It's been a decade since I saw it last, but I think I recall that there was some fear that Quoora would not survive the transition to the real world, but then we see her on the back of Sam's bike, enjoying the sunrise just before the credits role.  For me, that lends some credence that it was possible for the rest to happen also. It's the fiction part of sci-fi.😉

And... I've checked out.

While only a few details about the TRON: Ares story have emerged, the official synopsis states "TRON: Ares follows a highly sophisticated Program, Ares, who is sent from the digital world into the real world on a dangerous mission, marking humankind’s first encounter with A.I. beings."

🤬

- TRON: Ares will have a major shift in setting, focusing on a Program sent to the real world on a mission, a departure from The Grid.
- The new film will star Jared Leto and an ensemble cast, potentially exploring the interaction of AI with humans outside of The Grid.

🤬

They've totally missed the plot that the Grid is Tron, and Tron is the Grid. 

Edited by Raikkonen

Yes, it's just set in the Tron universe. That was one of the drawbacks of Legacy, as there was far too little of Tron, though I rewatched it today and, except for the de-aging, it holds up well enough. Looking back, I think they should have spent their money on de-aging Boxleiter in order to show more of Tron rather than having two versions of Flynn, but that's water spilled ten years ago. Plus, the Tron movies should be about (Tron of course!) being on the Grid. AI's done in the real world have been done before, and really hold little interest for me.

So, yeah, so far less reason to watch this.:sad:

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Yes, it's just set in the Tron universe. That was one of the drawbacks of Legacy, as there was far too little of Tron, though I rewatched it today and, except for the de-aging, it holds up well enough. Looking back, I think they should have spent their money on de-aging Boxleiter in order to show more of Tron rather than having two versions of Flynn, but that's water spilled ten years ago. Plus, the Tron movies should be about (Tron of course!) being on the Grid. AI's done in the real world have been done before, and really hold little interest for me.

So, yeah, so far less reason to watch this.:sad:

Hopefully they'll revise the story more, although I don't have any confidence in Disney at this point.

If they want the real world and the grid, they should do a story where the grid is out of control and threatening to consume the real world.

Edited by pengbuzz

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, Raikkonen said:

And... I've checked out.

While only a few details about the TRON: Ares story have emerged, the official synopsis states "TRON: Ares follows a highly sophisticated Program, Ares, who is sent from the digital world into the real world on a dangerous mission, marking humankind’s first encounter with A.I. beings."

🤬

- TRON: Ares will have a major shift in setting, focusing on a Program sent to the real world on a mission, a departure from The Grid.
- The new film will star Jared Leto and an ensemble cast, potentially exploring the interaction of AI with humans outside of The Grid.

🤬

They've totally missed the plot that the Grid is Tron, and Tron is the Grid. 

This sounds less interesting..

On 3/6/2024 at 3:50 PM, Raikkonen said:

Wait, who wants to watch a Tron movie that's not set in The Grid?  The Grid is what makes Tron interesting.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:50 PM, Raikkonen said:

- The new film will star Jared Leto

🤮