VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

newtest4. The international cover version.

Not a bad collage really.

post-4-1086644540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

So far, I like NEWTEST 1 the best....

The Blue Triangle design has GOT to be on the case somewhere. It is quintessentially Macross Plus, and one of the cooler images to come out of that series.

Also, a note on the borders. Were I you, I would take a queue from the SDF case, and make the case images as large as possible when you submit the images to Paul. he will undoubtedly play around with different borders etc like he did with the SDF cases.

The Blue Triangle design has GOT to be on the case somewhere. It is quintessentially Macross Plus, and one of the cooler images to come out of that series.

Also, a note on the borders. Were I you, I would take a queue from the SDF case, and make the case images as large as possible when you submit the images to Paul. he will undoubtedly play around with different borders etc like he did with the SDF cases.

I agree.

I just got #007 of the Mikimoto and Mech cases. And my first impression is that its gonna be a damn shame that I have to hide this artwork behing other DVD's on my rack :( . Seriously though excellent work, I ordered both because I liked items from both. Honestly though the Mikimoto one is truly the better of the two. I have to wait until I get my camera back and I can take really good pictures but the Mikimoto case left me speechless. Not to bash on the Mech box since I like that one as well :p . Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Rob :ph34r:

The Blue Triangle design has GOT to be on the case somewhere.  It is quintessentially Macross Plus, and one of the cooler images to come out of that series.

Also, a note on the borders.  Were I you, I would take a queue from the SDF case, and make the case images as large as possible when you submit the images to Paul.  he will undoubtedly play around with different borders etc like he did with the SDF cases.

I'm just doing these as image tests. See what pics we like and where. I figured we could stretch and tweak them once we know which pics we like. I too agree the pyramid should be somewhere on the box.

I'll tweak these some more though anyway.

I haven't touched the huge .tif's either. Those are still unedited. I actually still need help removing the text from the few images that have it, along with any color adjustment once we settle on pics.

Edited by Anubis

Just got my mecha box Saturday. I'm still impressed. My brother checked it out and he was awed by how nice it was. If I had the means/space, I'd definately display on some sort of rotating display its so nice.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Mac+ box. I like the new 19/21 pic, but I wish it were more colorful. Definately want to see the Mac+ pyramid symbol on the box, its a must. IMHO I feel as if Mac+ is all about the 19 and 21. The story and characters are really secondary to me. I'd like to see 19/21 pic on one of the sides or top. Even with all I've said, Newtest 1 is the design I like the best so far. I'll still pick up a box set even if there's no 19/21 pic on it, but I would really like to see it on the box somewhere. I know you its hard to find the right kind of pics that can be used. Good luck and thanks to all working on both projects.

New idea:

For the top, how about a center image with the blue logo on each side facing outward? This way we can get another image on the box, and still stylishly use the extra space and get the blue logo on there as well. Of course the logo would be cleanly extracted unlike this example.

post-4-1086706045.jpg

On a box. Looks pretty good like this I think. To fit an image on the top you have to shrink it pretty small, leaving space on the sides. Adding the logo there fills that space pretty nicely.

post-4-1086706177_thumb.jpg

That last one is my personal favorite, Anubis.

Providing that the logos are nicely Photoshopped onto the image... which shouldn't be a problem at all, since the back ground is black for both.

If you post a bigger pic of the top piece, I'll mock it up for you.

Great work. It's looking good.

internation version artwork box tweaked

post-4-1086706884_thumb.jpg

Bumped the image size on newtest2. It really is much better this way.

This is my favorite so far.

post-4-1086707212_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Newtest1 modified. With the nature of the sky collage pic, there either has to be the big black border or the sky must be extended. With the border, the pic on the other side has to have the big border as well for it to look right. One reason why I like newtest2 a lot better than this one, and there are more characters that get to appear on the box.

post-4-1086707653_thumb.jpg

That last one is my personal favorite, Anubis.

Providing that the logos are nicely Photoshopped onto the image... which shouldn't be a problem at all, since the back ground is black for both.

If you post a bigger pic of the top piece, I'll mock it up for you.

Great work.  It's looking good.

I'll post those tonight after class.

Edited by Anubis

sorry but i really dislike the new boxtop idea. its too busy with elements that do not flow or really fit with each other. i think the simplicity of the macross logo should be kept on its own.

That's the problem/question.

Do we just do the blue logo on top? Simple, yes, but there is wasted space that could be graced with another image. Just the side pics and the spine is hard to balance and get everything you want to see on the box. Fighters, characters, sharon. Difficult to do with just two side pics since the spine has been reserved since day 1.

However I am willing to bend. I like the idea of 3 pics, but simpler designs can also work so if you guys want the box top simpler then cool.

Edit: simplified post big time.

Edited by Anubis

I think the side pics are fine, except for the one with the guy (sorry, cant remember his name) with the glasses loooking down, that one is too busy, and that guy really isn't enough of a central character to warrant space on the keepcase IMHO.

I would say, the side images, the blue triangle on the top, and Isamu skyward on the spine...

When you think of lost space, remember that Paul can tweak these as needed, add borders etc, and that space may prove to be the best spot for our MW logo etc...

Here's newtest2 with the blue logo top.

post-4-1086725606_thumb.jpg

Here's newtest4 with the blue logo top. I do have to say this one looks pretty good like this. Has the core characters, very nice 19 and 21 renditions, and the two sides came from the same release line, so they match.

post-4-1086725747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Newtest5. A very simple design.

post-4-1086726410_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Number one and five are the ones I'm torn between. Though number four does seem to match overall better than the others.

Edited by Gaijin

my mecha box was waiting for me when i got home from my trip this weekend!!!! it's absolutely beautiful!!! I'm box #004.i didn't realize i was 1 of the first to order 1 of these :blink:

i can't wait for the mac plus boxes now!!!thanks paul & andy & everyone else who helped w/ artwork on these (insert old asian bowing smilie here)

i like newtest4

the one with sharon (?) on newtest5 seems a bit strange with the moire pattern. it may look odd with the laser engraving.

Actually she would come out pretty shiny I think.

The silver metal the white translates to really worked well on the SDF Macross Boxes.

For the sharon "circuitry" pic, it might work pretty good.

The newtest4 would be uber shiny though with that white background. Paul could probably do some kind of matching effect for the both sides as well. There is good potential there.

To recap, here's where we are so far today. So far I like 4 and 5 the best.

It seems now the top is decided on for the most part based off of the feedback: Blue logo on the top alone. The spine remains the desert shot as it has been. All that remains is the side images to settle on.

newtest1

post-25-1086754593.jpg

newtest2

post-25-1086754615.jpg

newtest3 scrapped.

newtest4

post-25-1086754638.jpg

newtest5

post-25-1086754665.jpg

More to come.

Edited by Anubis

This is the best M+ logo I could get out of the book. Think we need a better one off of a CD cover?

Shot in the dark, newtest5 with a different 19/21 pic.

post-4-1086756005_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

How's this top. Extract and insert the logo over this maybe?

post-4-1086756417.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Hang tight, Anubis. Once Slow-Ass-Celga gets me my R2 DVD's, I should be able to provide some real nice scans.

mpluslogo.jpg

I have this CD cover and can scan it. It's got a few small nicks on it, but nothing a Photoshop master couldn't fix. ;)

I have that logo scan at 1316x975 @600dpi

I was just worried about the color is all.

post-4-1086755228_thumb.jpg

I have a request (please don't flame me but just read on):

I have the M7 collection complete (Macross completist) and would like to have one box to hold M+ OVA, M7 (all disc + both movies) and perhaps M:2 OVA.

My idea would be just like the Mikimoto box but with his drawings for M+, M2 and M7 in a big collage, watercolored and feathered / merged together. Hell, maybe a few M:VFX/VFX2 drawings mixed in too.

Would other folks be interested a Macross Plus / Macross 7 combo box set made with room for 9 DVDs? I don't think there is enough interests to get M2 and M7 boxes made individually so a big post SDF-1/DYRL boxset might be feasible. I just love his artwork.

I have a request (please don't flame me but just read on):

I have the M7 collection complete (Macross completist) and would like to have one box to hold M+ OVA, M7 (all disc + both movies) and perhaps M:2 OVA.

My idea would be just like the Mikimoto box but with his drawings for M+, M2 and M7 in a big collage, watercolored and feathered / merged together. Hell, maybe a few M:VFX/VFX2 drawings mixed in too.

Would other folks be interested a Macross Plus / Macross 7 combo box set made with room for 9 DVDs? I don't think there is enough interests to get M2 and M7 boxes made individually so a big post SDF-1/DYRL boxset might be feasible. I just love his artwork.

The bloodshed combining Images from the 3 shows into one box would be unimaginable. Best bet would be to have Paul custom you a case for yourself using the Mikimoto Illustration and Innocence books.

I would be open to a Macross 7 box as well. To do that we need to make custom keepcase covers as well though, so I don't know if we can get enough interest for that. Wouldbe interesting though.

As for Macross II, like in the pic I posted earlier, I thinpak'd my Macross II and 20th anniversary discs, and I put all 13 discs in the SDF box. I'd recommend that so MII is not left all alone.

I have added a slew of pics in my new test pic bin in the test forum. Here's the link to those. Here's the thread with the previous pics. These I have bigger and better than the small verison I posted. Feel free to work out of these to create some serious box idea pics.

Here's one more I cooked up. The lineart box. Doesn't get much simpler than this one. Takes a que from the Animeigo box kinda.

This is it for me today.

post-4-1086761504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis