VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

OK,i've been out of the net for a few days.

Here is my perfect model made with paint,it's only an idea,it needs to be remodelled (over all the sharon pic) it's colors should be changed and the proportions also,the backgound of the sharon pic should be erased also.Can anyone made a good model with this idea? I'm very bad with imaging programs :(

Oh and if you want more images,why don't we made the top as it is here,but surrounded with many mini images (to include the ones that have been left behind but are great images)

post-4-1086775096_thumb.jpg

Edited by vibayo

OK,i've been out of the net for a few days.

Here is my perfect model made with paint,it's only an idea,it needs to be remodelled (over all the sharon pic) it's colors should be changed and the proportions also,the backgound of the sharon pic should be erased also.Can anyone made a good model with this idea? I'm very bad with imaging programs :(

Oh and if you want more images,why don't we made the top as it is here,but surrounded with many mini images (to include the ones that have been left behind but are great images)

As for the top, no one wants to put multiple pics on the top it seems. The general reaction has been favoring a simple top with the blue logo.

For the pic, something like this but with the background on the 19/21 pic removed and have the two over the sharon image? Is that what you mean?

Someone could also extract the 19 and 21 from the newtest4 pics and overlay those on the sharon image as an alternative. Personally I like the sharon pic as it is.

post-4-1086792100.jpg

Edited by Anubis

As a new alternative, for newtest6, how about extracting the -19 from the right newtest4 pic, and add it to the open space in the left side pic. Then use the Sharon pic on the right.

Then it wil be similar to the older collage, but with a clean background and a much better looking YF-19 and YF-21.

post-4-1086792988_thumb.jpg

I like how this new version would work (with a clean extraction of course of the -19, not the chunk in the example) better than the previous collage. The previous one is still a good image though as well.

post-25-1086793212.jpg VS. post-25-1086793184.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Wow, I really kinda like the lineart box - needs to have a black border around the spine image, but other than that it looks great. Then again, I have faith you guys will come up with an amazing design, just like you guys did for the Macross box. Keep it goin!

i dont see the point of the last image as the two are nearly identical. you might as well just use the original image. personally i think collages of that sort are cheesy and don't lend any sense of elegance to the design.

i dont see the point of the last image as the two are nearly identical. you might as well just use the original image. personally i think collages of that sort are cheesy and don't lend any sense of elegance to the design.

The point is the background is simpler, and the valks look a lot better.

If there are to be characters on the box, then a collage is necessary.

Wow, I really kinda like the lineart box - needs to have a black border around the spine image, but other than that it looks great. Then again, I have faith you guys will come up with an amazing design, just like you guys did for the Macross box. Keep it goin!

Here you go

post-4-1086802428_thumb.jpg

love the lineart mockup you just posted :)

edit - does the original image have text and if so do you think the scan will have enough res to translate on the case?

Edited by MrDisco

Yup. Definitely like the lineart version. Just not too sure about the spine image but it's your baby, go with it!

I gotta agree w/ DA on this point. The spine is definitely the sore point.

Maybe you could use a partial of this image -

new1921.jpg

Which would hold the same theme, color and background.

You know, I did not expect this reaction from the lineart box! :lol: I just posted that one for the heck of it after all the simplicity talk.

The pics have plenty of text on them, I'll post bigger versions of them later tonight. Good images actually. I negatived them to make them white on black. I think the text would show up fine, but we can always ask Paul to see. The pics are huge. Full page. I might have grabbed them at 200 dpi or something, but if I need to I can rescan them in the movie book no big deal.

Do we want just the fighter breakdowns in these pics, or do we also want a small battroid of each in the corner? I could also scan a ghost to go underneath the blue logo on top if you guys want. I can grab those out of the design works or M+ game book.

As for the spine, it seemed there was a consensus a while back that the desert shot was the one we wanted. If not that one, then the only other pic I think that would go with this design would be the sharon pic.

I also seriously doubt that Paul would like doing two M+ boxes as well after the poor turnout on the SDF Macross box. I can only hope sales pick up once this box is finalized.

Here's the lineart box with the Sharon pic as a test.

post-4-1086812204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Yup.  Definitely like the lineart version.  Just not too sure about the spine image but it's your baby, go with it!

I gotta agree w/ DA on this point. The spine is definitely the sore point.

Maybe you could use a partial of this image -

Which would hold the same theme, color and background.

Here's yours.

I don't think it goes very well as a spine image. That and I'd like some other element on the box than just the 19/21.

post-4-1086812288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

i prefer the original spine. it has the 2 fighters in the sky which lends itself well to the schematics on either side. it adds a bit of colour and its perfectly formated.

edit - i think as a group we should agree not to pursue a 2nd design. i highly doubt we would get the numbers and i dont think paul would want to do 2 smaller runs of boxes.

Edited by MrDisco

i prefer the original spine. it has the 2 fighters in the sky which lends itself well to the schematics on either side. it adds a bit of colour and its perfectly formated.

edit - i think as a group we should agree not to pursue a 2nd design. i highly doubt we would get the numbers and i dont think paul would want to do 2 smaller runs of boxes.

That's one thing. The desert shot pic I scanned is a perfect size to be adusted onto the spine. The image there is pretty much the exact image I scanned, with the Macross Plus title removed. It also does add a nice touch of color, so no one should complain that "the box looks too dark."

It's an immediately recognizable M+ pic as well, which was probably why we put it there in the first place, also it being an easy image to squeeze onto a 3-disc box.

I still like the desert shot personally, but if not that one I say the Sharon pic's a good alternative.

Hey guys....Paul has been following the thread, and had the following to add...

Artwork like the lineart would be engraved since there is no color involved. The spine and top would be done the same way the SDF were done. Both side panels would be engraved on black acrylic with either a gold core or a white core. The color of the core actually becomes the color of the lines in the lineart, but it also becomes the color of the inside of the case.

There are a few logistical problems in combining both techniques in a single case. Mostly in regards to the corner joinery. But it can be overcome.

If we go with the lineart, it will increase the cost of the case by $5 since Paul has to use different materials.

Now, if you purchased the SDF case, then this will not really effect you since Paul is giving those who get both cases a $5 dollar break, so essentially, you would break even rather than saving $5.

I for one think that the lineart is the sharpest thing going right now. But I further think that we should go all black, or none at all. IMHO, the lineart sides, and the blue triangle top are awesome. Perhaps we can come up with something else in black and white for the spine?.

still going to have to disagree and hold out for the dessert spine. i truly think its too beautiful to pass up. No offense to anyone but i haven't been overly wowed by alot of the images we have (this is NOT a knock against anyone but just a fact that the amount of art at our disposal isn't as extensive as Macross).

if we go with the engraving i think silver would be best. i'm actually rather excited by this prospect as I would welcome something new.

edit - further to my previous post, the blue in the macross logo would reflect well with the blue sky in the spine

on another note i received the 2 Macross cases. Let me just say WOW and thanks to all involved. it truly came out much better then i expected (particularly the mecha case). our pic selection was bang on and together both cases compliment each other, not just in theme but in the colour - one is brighter where as the other one is darker. i couldn't be more pleased. these two easily beat out the 'commercial' PC cases (i.e. gasaraki, eva)

added bonus: i'm #003 for both cases! yay me! lets have a roll call for our way-ward cases:

003 Both Cases, MrDisco, Toronto

etc.

Edited by MrDisco

I for one think that the lineart is the sharpest thing going right now. But I further think that we should go all black, or none at all. IMHO, the lineart sides, and the blue triangle top are awesome. Perhaps we can come up with something else in black and white for the spine?.

Agree totally on the newest lineart box being the way to go. As for the spine, the desert one is okay, but I think a few other pics should be tested in its place. The rest of the box should basically be left alone, but I can go either way for the spine.

On a side note, I finally got the extra cash to order the SDFM boxes (have been a bit tight on money for a while). Yay!

Hey guys....Paul has been following the thread, and had the following to add...

Artwork like the lineart would be engraved since there is no color involved. The spine and top would be done the same way the SDF were done. Both side panels would be engraved on black acrylic with either a gold core or a white core. The color of the core actually becomes the color of the lines in the lineart, but it also becomes the color of the inside of the case.

There are a few logistical problems in combining both techniques in a single case. Mostly in regards to the corner joinery. But it can be overcome.

If we go with the lineart, it will increase the cost of the case by $5 since Paul has to use different materials.

Now, if you purchased the SDF case, then this will not really effect you since Paul is giving those who get both cases a $5 dollar break, so essentially, you would break even rather than saving $5.

OK, let's try it greyscale then. One benefit would be the box should be a hair cheaper being engraved than full color.

Here's the desert spine box in b&w.

post-4-1086839727_thumb.jpg

The sharon box

post-4-1086839749_thumb.jpg

Black and White boxes can still look very good, and save you a few bucks. If we truly like the lineart sides, I have no problem going b&w on the box.

Here is the Kenshin box I had Paul make for me. Really good.kenshin1.jpg

Difficult to capture properly with flash glare, that's why pieces of the side pic look dark.

post-26-1083538948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Here's the YF-19 side pic

post-4-1086840321_thumb.jpg

The YF-21 pic. The Navigation Light title is cut off, so I'd have to rescan this one for production.

Now as for the text. I really don't know how it would show up on the box. How small the text can be and show up properly is something we should probably ask Paul. If these don't work then we can scan the Design Works or M+ Game book book for lineart. Ironically something I suggested loooooooooooooooooong ago when some M+ box ideas were first put up and we then focused on the Macross box, and I heard crickets. :lol:

post-4-1086840341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Just an idea here... why don't we use some battroid line art for the spine? You can easily turn any of Kawamori's sketches from Designworks into White on Black line art like the sides.

I also like the traditional spine with Isamu and the sky. I'd pay another $5 for the color top and spine. The top blue logo is just too good to mess with.

I agree with Blaine, the lineart 19 and 21 is really growing on me and the Mac+ logo on top would be tight. That definately needs to be blue. I like the Isamu desert spine, but I'm open to seeing if anyone can come up with other images that can be used too.

Hmmm....just messing around with alternative spine images with images found in Anubis' test bin. I'm just along for the ride.

post-25-1086843326.jpg

Left: messed around with the colors and levels in PS :Nighttime Macross City

Center: just color burn :Computer Sharon Apple Eye

Right: simply a b/w inverse effect :Characters

Right + 1: added box number and text

post-25-1086845211.jpg

If we use the lineart at all, the cost will be an additional $5 whether there is any color present or not, just to clarify.

Since we're playing with color swapping, why not recolor the line art pics to be Blue on Black, and then use the Triangle logo at the top?

BTW - of the three spine images, the one with the Macross in the background just pummels the others to dust!.

With Macross City.

Changing the side panel pics to blue is a really good idea, and would let us keep the color box. I have no idea how to do that so for now just pretend they're blue, the right shade of blue so it stands out against the black.

Macross City works pretty good as well.

post-4-1086846533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

With Macross City.

Changing the side panel pics to blue is a really good idea, and would let us keep the color box.  I have no idea how to do that so for now just pretend they're blue, the right shade of blue so it stands out against the black.

I did these in about 3 minutes using Paint Shop Pro's color replacer.

Obviously, it is rough, but you get the gist, and I'm sure some of our Photoshop masters can do it much better.

yf21lines.jpg

and the other...

yf19lines.jpg

Edited by Mechamaniac

With Macross City.

Changing the side panel pics to blue is a really good idea, and would let us keep the color box.  I have no idea how to do that so for now just pretend they're blue, the right shade of blue so it stands out against the black.

I did this in about 3 minutes using Paint Shop Pro's color replacer.

Obviously, it is rough, but you get the gist, and I'm sure some of our Photoshop masters can do it much better.

Thanks, I couldn't figure out how to do it in photoshop. There is much to learn in that program still.

Yeah, Blue lineart on this box would look really good.

Edited by Anubis

Definately a step in the right direction. Rough, but a decent example.

Edit - removed since DA put better ones

Edited by Anubis