VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

Adjusted the "Sky on Both Sides" box above.

Those designs look really good, Anubis... my favorite is the M+ Mech, but I'm not really a fan of that character collage on the left.

In fact, I'd say the biggest problem I have with all of the designs thus far is that it's the same 5 or 6 images just being rotated around.

We definitely need to get some of those artbooks scanned...

Those designs look really good, Anubis... my favorite is the M+ Mech, but I'm not really a fan of that character collage on the left.

In fact, I'd say the biggest problem I have with all of the designs thus far is that it's the same 5 or 6 images just being rotated around.

We definitely need to get some of those artbooks scanned...

I know :( . I'm tired of rotating the same 6 or so images, too. For the latest .psd I just added extra layers of the different sides so I could swap them around easier. Each side is hiding the others. Pathetic, huh? I know there are better character collages than the one I used, but I frankly don't have any other to use. At least the collage I have is pretty good. Good enough that it would make a good side if need be.

Not bad for a few pics out of a playstation guide book.

I know  :( .  I'm tired of rotating the same 6 or so images, too.  For the latest .psd I just added extra layers of the different sides so I could swap them around easier.  Each side is hiding the others.  Pathetic, huh?

Not at all pathetic, that's just good Photoshop design skills. ;)

You're doing great layouts for someone unfamiliar with PS.

Maybe try PMing around to see who has some copies of the books that doesn't care too much about the Spines to get some good scans. Maybe somebody with a damaged one, or something.

Edited by Blaine23

I really really love the last design,it's almost perfect

I have another idea if you want to take it.Why we don't make collage with many small pics(just keep reducing any pic until find the wanted quality) and then we can add all that beautifull images in one side or wherever you want.This is only a suggestion,because i'm vey glad with this design

post-25-1083812137.jpg

It's sooo beautifull,with a few minor changes it would be perfect (from my point of view of course) only centering the two fighters image and cleaning the back of Isamu's hair and if someone has this image at the right quality,it would be perfect for the bottom right part of the two fighters image

img.jpg

Thanks Anubis for your great work

I'm starting to like the 3rd one too. The new "mech" :lol:.

Other than that, I like the simple one. Guess I can excise the "sky" box.

We definately need the logos scanned now as well.

Let me double check the game book again, and see if a suitable blue logo is in there.

Can anyone with the soundtrack CD's see if the blue logo is on those inserts? The sharon cross too, just so we have it. Even if there is stuff around the logos it's fine, that stuff can always be blacked out in photoshop. CD inserts would be nice and easy to scan.

For the logos, I have 800 x 600 pics of those two at 72dpi (I think) like most of us have. For the simple design they need to be higher res, so I guess we would need scans for that.

Now, if we use the "mech" design for example, the blue logo only needs to be very small actually on the top. Would the logo images I have be good enough as they are since they they don't really need to be blown up at all?

The top is supposed to be 600 x 1641, but a lot of that is going to be black space on the mech's top.

Edited by Anubis

For the logos, I have 800 x 600 pics of those two at 72dpi (I think) like most of us have. For the simple design they need to be higher res, so I guess we would need scans for that.

Now, if we use the "mech" design for example, the blue logo only needs to be very small actually on the top. Would the logo images I have be good enough as they are since they they don't really need to be blown up at all?

The top is supposed to be 600 x 1641, but a lot of that is going to be black space on the mech's top.

Yeah, you'd definitely need to grab a new scan of it at 300 dpi or it'll come out looking fuzzy at best.

For the logos, I have 800 x 600 pics of those two at 72dpi (I think) like most of us have.  For the simple design they need to be higher res, so I guess we would need scans for that.

Now, if we use the "mech" design for example, the blue logo only needs to be very small actually on the top.  Would the logo images I have be good enough as they are since they they don't really need to be blown up at all?

Yeah, you'd definitely need to grab a new scan of it at 300 dpi or it'll come out looking fuzzy at best.

OK, just checking.

Anyone have CD case covers to scan then? They've got be on there at least.

Edited by Anubis

You can find that logo on either of the Soundtrack Vol 1 versions... I'll help you Photoshop out the sky and fill it in with black, if you need to.

Looky here - Macrossworld Music CD's

I found a different character collage on one of them.  I might like it better... what do you think, Anubis?

Very nice. I like it a lot actually. Even nets us the ghost, and a full shot of Myung. It's a better mech box if the ghost is there too.

You know I never thought to look at the CD section here. I checked out the books, but not the CD's in the main page! :lol:

I definately need help blacking out the sky around the logo, if you don't mind.

Also the 19/21 shot needs some touch up done to the color. There were some pics of Kawamori in the corner that I blacked out and you can see the difference in black levels in the pic.

I need one you pros to remove the kawamori and extract it at the actual size we need, as well as the spine image, once the design is finalized. Basically the professional grade stuff you guys are good at.

I do like the new group shot though. Would go nicely. Any other opinions on it, guys?

Here is a small version of the original 19/21 pic I scanned.

mplus_game_book_5.jpg

post-4-1084251066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I like the new image,but i find the new design to be too black :p ,i mean,i'm tired of seeing the animeigo black box and so i'm willing to have more color and i prefer to see the two planes in the anime version instead of only the ghost.I think that the best design is the mech one, it's almost perfect B))

Edited by vibayo

Something like this then, vibayo?

P.S. about resizing and centeing the 19/21 pic: I wasn't going to worry about that now. The actual sizing, centering and touch up stuff we can do once we decide on the images we like. This is all done through jpegs. The actual .tifs are untouched ready to be copied and worked with to do the real version.

post_25_1083812137.jpg

post-4-1084287510_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I know some people weren't keen on the first collage-in-the-sky pic so maybe the new one may suit some people better, and even if the box has it's share of black, it's still a far cry from Animeigo's black and white box (which I actuallly don't mind that much personally). I do think it goes with the 19/21 pic better though.

Here's an alternate. With two pics on top it may seem a little cluttered, or it may be for the better. What do you guys think?

post-4-1084287788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Also the 19/21 shot needs some touch up done to the color. There were some pics of Kawamori in the corner that I blacked out and you can see the difference in black levels in the pic.

I need one you pros to remove the kawamori and extract it at the actual size we need, as well as the spine image, once the design is finalized. Basically the professional grade stuff you guys are good at.

Ain't no problem at all... after all the work I've done on the reg. Macross box, that should be a piece of cake.

You guys just let me know when you find the design that works best for you.

Also the 19/21 shot needs some touch up done to the color.  There were some pics of Kawamori in the corner that I blacked out and you can see the difference in black levels in the pic.

I need one you pros to remove the kawamori and extract it at the actual size we need, as well as the spine image, once the design is finalized.  Basically the professional grade stuff you guys are good at.

Ain't no problem at all... after all the work I've done on the reg. Macross box, that should be a piece of cake.

You guys just let me know when you find the design that works best for you.

Kewl, thanks. :)

Now we just need a consensus, or some more viable pics to work with.

We are making good progress now though.

Need some more input people!

Hey Anubis,

Love what you've done so far. So far this is my favorite. The only changes I would make would be the pic of the 2 fighters on the far right (don't like) and maybe seeing if I can fit the sun into the middle photo with Isamu's flying hand. Instead of the current pic on the far right...what about using some sort of collage of the various sharons from her concerts. Maybe make them a little see through and place them over a pic of sharons box or what's her face in the mind machine for sharon.

post-4-1084308010_thumb.jpg

That's way beyond my shop capability, as well as beyond out pic avaiability. Right now we have NO Sharon pics to work with :( . If anyone can scan something with her we can try to use it somewhere, or blend it with something. The current 19/21 shot is also the best pic of those that we've got.

What about this pic? Surely someone can scan the book cover at least to get this one <_< . Then one of the pros can try to remove the text that litters the image if possible . This one may have to go with the "sky" sollage on the opposite side for it to look right.

post_25_1083812137.jpg

post-4-1084313236_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

With the new collage on the left. This doesn't look too bad actually. :)

A sharon pic would be great to include behind the left collage, but it works pretty good as it is too. Good find, Blaine.

post_4_1084227735.jpg

post-4-1084313317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Attached to this post and my next 3 are 4 rar files full of sharon pics I scoured from the web. Some are better than others. The nice thing about sharon is that she's kinda see through and low resolution anyway so we can use lower grade pics I think. Or we could recolor them. Anyway there are about 15-20 pics in each folder. I know the orange one will work see what you think of the others. Couldn't find a lot of pics of the red and black haired sharon's just the orange and purple evil sharon.

Apple1.rar

Apple1.rar

WE NEED ONES WE CAN SCAN AND GET IN HIGH RES!!!!!! :(

I thank you much for all the Sharon pics though. My Macross Plus folder is happy.

Maybe there's something in there we can use (being optimistic :) ) I shall scour though them.

Edit: actually only the apple 2 archive worked. the other ones failed to extract at least with ExtractNow.

Edited by Anubis

I used win rar to rar them.  The highest res one's are the Orange hair one's of pillaged of this sites artwork page.

I'll download Win Rar and give it another try. If the highest res ones are the ones from the main page here, then they'll come out blurry if we try to use it for real, so we can't, as we went into in depth earlier.

Edited by Anubis

Attached to this post and my next 3 are 4 rar files full of sharon pics I scoured from the web. Some are better than others. The nice thing about sharon is that she's kinda see through and low resolution anyway so we can use lower grade pics I think. Or we could recolor them. Anyway there are about 15-20 pics in each folder. I know the orange one will work see what you think of the others. Couldn't find a lot of pics of the red and black haired sharon's just the orange and purple evil sharon.

See-through and low-res don't mean the same thing.

To put it very simply - you cannot use web images for the case. Period.

Low-res images look fuzzy and pixellated when used for print and that is something nobody here wants to pay for and Paul doesn't want to waste time making a case that looks bad.

Don't bother posting anymore images unless you know we can get them from a scannable source at high-res. It's just a waste of time.

As someone who's done a ton of Photoshop, trust me when I tell you this is the truth.

Attached to this post and my next 3 are 4 rar files full of sharon pics I scoured from the web.  Some are better than others.  The nice thing about sharon is that she's kinda see through and low resolution anyway so we can use lower grade pics I think.  Or we could recolor them.  Anyway there are about 15-20 pics in each folder.  I know the orange one will work see what you think of the others.  Couldn't find a lot of pics of the red and black haired sharon's just the orange and purple evil sharon.

See-through and low-res don't mean the same thing.

To put it very simply - you cannot use web images for the case. Period.

Low-res images look fuzzy and pixellated when used for print and that is something nobody here wants to pay for and Paul doesn't want to waste time making a case that looks bad.

Don't bother posting anymore images unless you know we can get them from a scannable source at high-res. It's just a waste of time.

As someone who's done a ton of Photoshop, trust me when I tell you this is the truth.

Thank you,

I agree with the rule completely, like I tried to put 1 page ago.

Once again:

Before anyone else posts random images off their hard drive, I'd like to make this a new rule. No new pics added to this thread unless you either a) have it available to scan or b) know where to get it at the required res and at least 300dpi.

I again appreciate M+ pics, I love seeing ones I don't have, but for this thread we need to be certain we can obtain a new high-quality scan of the image if we are to get a good quality box.

As a refresher, here is the image sizes for the M+ 3-disc box. Note how high the requirements are.

Both side panels for an Amaray case are 1641 X 2300 pixels @ 300 dpi.

The spine of a 3 DVD case is 600 X 2300 pixels @ 300 dpi

The top is 600 x 1641 pixels @ 300 dpi.

i think the top is not so good. way too cluttered combining 2 images which don't flow properly.

How about image cented on the top, with the title below, and a smaller blue pyramid logo (1/2 of the existing size) above?