Guidelines for Spoilers?

Spoilers?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Spoilers?

• Spoilers are okay.
    • Spoilers are never okay.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/18/22 at 01:31 AM

I can't recall if we have any official guidelines related to spoilers.  The general rule most of us follow is no spoilers until something has been out for a while.  You can hide spoiler talk but we're still careful about what we discuss out in the open.  I have a suggestion and I like to get some member feedback on it:

Allow Spoilers.

I know people don't like others spoiling thing for them.  But we're all here to discuss these topics.  At times this can be hard to do when you're trying to avoid spoilers.  People want to talk all about the latest movie or show during the opening week.  Spoiler talk is okay a few weeks later but by that time our interest has moved on.  If someone doesn't want to see any spoilers, why are they reading a topic about it on opening day?  Some guidelines should still be followed.  You don't post spoilers in an unrelated topic, and you don't post spoilers before the official release date.

I don’t think the poll has enough options.

I’m perfectly fine with the general rule of thumb we’ve got going, where we spoiler tag certain comments until a “reasonable” period of time has passed.

Sometimes discussions are ongoing in a thread, so to suddenly have to avoid a thread just because a new ep premiered is kinda annoying.

Plus, real life events/circumstances might delay us from watching the new ep, so spoiler tagging stuff just seems like a nice common courtesy.

Besides I like the creativity it forces me use.  It’s easy to say you like or hate an episode or movie, but you don’t want to be that dick that spoils any big surprises.

Past a certain point, I think spoilers are OK... it's a matter of a consensus on how old a series has to be before there's a reasonable expectation most people have seen it.

Obviously spoilers for a currently-airing or recently concluded series/movie are bad.

But is it really possible to spoil, say, a blockbuster movie that's a decade old?  Or two?  Or five?

For instance, Macross Frontier is now about 14 years old.  It's very difficult to discuss certain characters or mecha without inherent spoilers... but is 14 years "old enough" to consider a reasonable portion of the audience will have already seen it?

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Is it still too early to reveal who Luke's father really is?

Yes. :ph34r:

Ummm @Roy Focker,

Spoiler policy

• Discussions detailing story or character plots prior to release date MUST use spoiler tags.
    [spoiler]spoiler material here[/spoiler]
    • TV shows: Spoiler tags are required for 48 hours after the original air date.
    • Movies: Spoiler tags are required for 10 days after weekend of the release date.
    • Novels/Printed material: Spoiler tags are required for 2 months after release date.
    Exceptions may applied.

If I don't want to be subjected to spoilers, I don't read the topic. It's common sense. For instance, I avoided The Witcher thread until I'd seen it all. And i won't look at the Star Wars thread until I've seen the newest episode. And for something on going, i use the spoiler feature. Occasionally the spoiler feature won't work on my phone, so i will head my comments with "Spoiler Alert " .

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi Bolt! 👋

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

If I don't want to be subjected to spoilers, I don't read the topic. It's common sense. For instance, I avoided The Witcher thread until I'd seen it all. And i won't look at the Star Wars thread until I've seen the newest episode. And for something on going, i use the spoiler feature. Occasionally the spoiler feature won't work on my phone, so i will head my comments with "Spoiler Alert " .

That's the keyword, right there -- Common Sense. :good: 

I think there should be room for spoilers that are already given away by a preview or other media that the company doing the release has given. I don’t really count the discussion about those items as actual spoilers when the company itself has already spoiled a surprise