BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

You did mention it earlier, but I wanted people to see our favorite program officially posted in all of its splendor, complete with a cast photo featuring 6 and Baltar in a now classic display of imaginary affection...

I expect that some where on the cutting room floor is a load of footage of the battle. That is the only explanation that I can think of for the fact that allthough the batle was good it seemed to short and too easy. I know that they probably wanted to slim it all down to fit the 45 min slot, but hopefully it will all reapear in the extras on the series 2 DVD boxset.

I expect that some where on the cutting room floor is a load of footage of the battle. That is the only explanation that I can think of for the fact that allthough the batle was good it seemed to short and too easy. I know that they probably wanted to slim it all down to fit the 45 min slot, but hopefully it will all reapear in the extras on the series 2 DVD boxset.

360674[/snapback]

On the DVD. :lol: Ron Moore did say that this was originally a 1-shot episode that got split into 2 parts. I'm sure they had enough going to have 3-parts.

I highly doubt they left expensive CGI shots on the cutting room floor when they are already on a tight budget.

360712[/snapback]

You'd be surprised. Lots of times some great sequences are left out. If possible they are recycled and used in the future but there's always tons of work done that never see the light of day. Especially if it's left out due to story changes.

Edited by Jemstone

I highly doubt they left expensive CGI shots on the cutting room floor when they are already on a tight budget.

360712[/snapback]

It's never even occurred to me that their budget is a severely limited one, as it is stated in that TIME article. What they manage to do on that limited budget is incredible.

360712[/snapback]

You'd be surprised. Lots of times some great sequences are left out. If possible they are recycled and used in the future but there's always tons of work done that never see the light of day. Especially if it's left out due to story changes.

360715[/snapback]

That is true, but in the podcast, RDM mentioned that the story wasn't about the battle, and you didn't need to see all of that. You get enough to know what's going on in the background. So, I think it's safe to say we prob got everything he wanted us to see.

That said, I'll say that that this season has the most impressive CGI I've seen on TV. The Galactica's flak barrier in Ep 1. The ccene of Kat avoiding the exploding asteroid. And the battle between the Battlestars and the Base Ships. Zoic is truly amazing.

Completely agree! Even a simple little shot like starbuck seeing all the vipers dogfighting was really cool.

I have a neat idea for a CGI shot for a viper launch sequence. Maybe a down the nose shot,or a little higher off the nose looking back at the cockpit, that way you see the blast wall disappear behind the viper as it rockets down the tube and then the outer hull moving away behind the now space born viper. I think it would really give you a feeling of scale too.

Chris

Saw it last night. I thought it was ok. Have to agree the focus on Apollo sucked. I really would much rather have seen much more of the battle. There was a horrible piece of editing here as well. One second everyone is getting ready to attack, the next the battle is on! What the hell? Very abrupt and borderline sloppy.

Someone mentioned Cain not having any type of redemption before getting capped, I'd disagree. Not going forward with killing Adama was proof enough she relaxed and perhaps saw a bigger picture. She saw it in Starbuck's eyes that something was up, and probably had a good hunch what was gonna happen. Give her credit for that much at least. To be honest though, I don't think Fisk nor Starbuck would have gone through with it.

Baltar needs to get busted already. Its so frackin obvious he helped Six escape it's insane, perhaps the season ending cliff hanger will have Baltar leaving and take a seat in that revolving chair? ;) .

The ship to ship battle sequance was great, but my question is where the hell were the two Basestars compliment of Raiders??? Is it me or did I miss that dogfight amiss Apollo trying to cover the hole in his space suit? <_< What could have been a great battle was reduced to a skirmish worthy of fan boy hate.

Coming up next week, Roe vs Wade in space! Stay tuned after for the preview of a future episode, Brokeback Raptor. I appriciate the social writing, but give us one pointless frag fest...please!

Saw it last night. I thought it was ok. Have to agree the focus on Apollo sucked. I really would much rather have seen much more of the battle. There was a horrible piece of editing here as well. One second everyone is getting ready to attack, the next the battle is on! What the hell? Very abrupt and borderline sloppy.

Someone mentioned Cain not having any type of redemption before getting capped, I'd disagree. Not going forward with killing Adama was proof enough she relaxed and perhaps saw a bigger picture. She saw it in Starbuck's eyes that something was up, and probably had a good hunch what was gonna happen. Give her credit for that much at least. To be honest though, I don't think Fisk nor Starbuck would have gone through with it.

Baltar needs to get busted already. Its so frackin obvious he helped Six escape it's insane, perhaps the season ending cliff hanger will have Baltar leaving and take a seat in that revolving chair? ;) .

The ship to ship battle sequance was great, but my question is where the hell were the two Basestars compliment of Raiders??? Is it me or did I miss that dogfight amiss Apollo trying to cover the hole in his space suit? <_<  What could have been a great battle was reduced to a skirmish worthy of fan boy hate.

Coming up next week, Roe vs Wade in space! Stay tuned after for the preview of a future episode, Brokeback Raptor. I appriciate the social writing, but give us one pointless frag fest...please!

361301[/snapback]

Regarding the Raiders, in pt. 1 the plan was to lure away the raiders with some of the civi's. Once the Raiders were far enough away the battlestars jump in and attack the Baseships. So having few raiders left with the fleet is reasonable. I believe the Cylons could fall for it considering the actual attack on the Tylium refinery DID come from the "decoy" civi's last time.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever get a really good frag-fest in this show, Moore has said countless times that that is not what this show is about, and that it is about the characters. In his podcast for this episode he said something like... we don't need to see the battle because we know it's happening, and that what is more interesting and what we want :huh: to see, is the charaters and their reactions and interactions....or some BS like that! I'd personally like to see both

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I actually found it to be questionable that the Cylons would commit all their fighter cover to a group of civilian ships when they know there are TWO Battlestars not in that group and especially when they were covering such an important key asset in the Resurrection. The Cylons in first season seemed to be a bit more keen and always had something up their sleeve so I find it weird that all of a sudden they seem particularly gullible in this scenario where they have TWO Basestars and the Resurrection. As soon as the Raiders noticed there were no Battlestars, they should have poo their pants and headed back to base full tilt with FTL. Not to mention, aren't there still sleeper agents in the fleet? You'd think they'd at least have some intelligence to warn their fleet with, like the fact that another Battlestar has joined the fleet AND its actively looking for a fight. Its not like the Pegasus crew is quiet about what they want to do or how they do things.

Anyways, that and Apollo's depression that came out of left field are the only things that I found weird about the two parter, if I had to question anything at all.

I think the assassination order had a lot to do with it. He had the typical father/son/commander/officer dispute which was a disappointment to him, but he suffered massive disillusionment when he learned that it was the President's plan. I wonder if this going to be a new arc for him and is going to lessen his political idealism (which I think he really needs as a character and probably wants as an actor).

Regarding Apollo’s blackbird crash – I got the impression that it happened right after he took out the FTL drive. If my take on the timing is right, why was there Raptor debris so close to the to the resurrection ship? Was it a destroyed raptor from the early decoy phase of the mission?

Regarding Apollo’s blackbird crash – I got the impression that it happened right after he took out the FTL drive.  If my take on the timing is right, why was there Raptor debris so close to the to the resurrection ship?  Was it a destroyed raptor from the early decoy phase of the mission?

361342[/snapback]

If the Raptor was destroyed earlier in the battle its debries could have continued on the path the resulting explosion would have taken them. This could have been right into the path of the ressurrection ship. It is likely that Apollo was running Passive Radar to avoid detection so he wouldnt have seen the wreckage until it was almost on him, by which time it could/was too late.

If the Raptor was destroyed earlier in the battle its debries could have continued on the path the resulting explosion would have taken them. This could have been right into the path of the ressurrection ship. It is likely that Apollo was running Passive Radar to avoid detection so he wouldnt have seen the wreckage until it was almost on him, by which time it could/was too late.

361352[/snapback]

In any case, he didn't see it and got clipped.

Apollo's depression could have been from lots of things, but this was his "boiling point". He said he would be backing up Starbuck, but he blew it and wasn't there. He failed. There was nothing he could do about it but in his mind, whether or not it would have happened, he wasn't there. Another thing was he was ready to die out there (well he did...). Whether he let go from lack of energy or because he wanted to, he let go.

Here's a question, the Blackbird was a stealth ship, right? Invisible to Dradis and all that? How did the Pegasus and Galactica detect the Blackbird when Starbuck warped back in from the recon mission? Both command centers reported a unknown Dradis contact at the same time.

Temporary depression is also a sideeffect of O2 Deprevation, that combined with all the other factors already listed would likely account for his depression. As for detecting the blackbird, "jumping" probably produces a lot of energy and starbuck was coming in hot, burning her engines, not a stealth profile. So Dradis was more then likely homing in on the initial energy signature and subsequent engine exhaust and then interpolating the course based on that.

I understand that that Apollo thing came out of nowhere, but it could be the start of a story line. I was asking myself the same thing.

According to Ron Moore, we will see this in later episodes, so .

As for detecting the blackbird, "jumping" probably produces a lot of energy and starbuck was coming in hot, burning her engines, not a stealth profile. So Dradis was more then likely homing in on the initial energy signature and subsequent engine exhaust and then interpolating the course based on that.
What you didn't see was when Starbuck jumped in, she saw what was going on and was suppose to broadcast a unfriendly ID to get everybody's attention. But for the sake of time, they trimmed and edited the scene down to what it is now. According to the podcast. Edited by azrael

Lee lost faith in his father and Laura for ordering the assasination...along with Kara for agreeing to it. 3 of his "ties" to life, and then he crashes and isn't even able to back up Kara...he felt like everything was gone and just let go. Poor kid. He really does need some Dualla to cheer him up. :lol:

Given the big personality shift from pre mission to post mission, there could have been something on the Ressurection Ship itself that snapped him.

Assuming the ship held every possible human model of Cylon form, he might have seen something besides Gina/Six, Leoben, Doral, Boomer models.

My guess he saw himself in there. Or his brother. Or he saw glimpses of his brother and thought it was himself. He did seem unusually distracted after blowing the FTL, then again he tends to get himself wrecked up alot no matter what. Other guesses are he saw Adama or Starbuck, the only other people he loves. But I think he would have turned them in to Tigh if that really was the case.

It kind of fits, if he was oxygen deprived and after the Blackbird blew, he could say to himself what he saw might have been a delusion. Or not. That might drive you more crazy than knowing for sure, if you can't quite be sure if what you saw was real or a hallucination. And if it was himself he saw on the Cylon ship, would he turn himself in for what might be a delusion. Or would he be scared out of his mind that he would snap one day and cap his father like Boomer did. If its Zack, the entire idea of having to see his brother again and having to kill him over and over like the Boomers die would probably drive equally Commander Adama, Starbuck and Apollo to the edge.

Apollo seeing himself would be shocking and interesting, but it creates all kinds of story problems that back Moore into a corner, like Roslins cancer. If there is a new Cylon human model, I'm betting on Zack Adama. Again reinforcing the idea that the Cylons have a plan, this has all happened before and the survivors in the fleet weren't random.

Yeah....I'm just going to go ahead and assume that none of that is going to happen, in any way shape or form. Yeah...

Oh, and Death Hammer...if we could get you to make your posts from the basement from now on, that would be super.

*takes red swingline stapler*

Here's a question, the Blackbird was a stealth ship, right?  Invisible to Dradis and all that?  How did the Pegasus and Galactica detect the Blackbird when Starbuck warped back in from the recon mission?  Both command centers reported a unknown Dradis contact at the same time.

361378[/snapback]

Based on purely theories and other SciFi Huge gravatational shifts and masvie electromagnectic energies mabe even radioactive gammawaves etc could all be detected by ship based systems. That added to the known vector and lack of transponder would trip friend or foe security systems.

Im basically backing up previous posts here.

The Adama and more Cylon "humans" would certainly spice up the story some what. Could be like lightinfg a powder keg. If it got out that say someone know what the other undiscovered models (I know we have seen more than the crew on Galactica and Pegasus and the other ships) that sort of news would light up the already suspicious nature of the fleet now into a conspiracy laden nightmare, all good viewing for us.

Edited by big F

Yeah....I'm just going to go ahead and assume that none of that is going to happen, in any way shape or form. Yeah...

Oh, and Death Hammer...if we could get you to make your posts from the basement from now on, that would be super.

*takes red swingline stapler*

361422[/snapback]

LOL. :lol:

Given the big personality shift from pre mission to post mission, there could have been something on the Ressurection Ship itself that snapped him.

Assuming the ship held every possible human model of Cylon form, he might have seen something besides Gina/Six, Leoben, Doral, Boomer models.

My guess he saw himself in there. Or his brother. Or he saw glimpses of his brother and thought it was himself. He did seem unusually distracted after blowing the FTL, then again he tends to get himself wrecked up alot no matter what. Other guesses are he saw Adama or Starbuck, the only other people he loves. But I think he would have turned them in to Tigh if that really was the case.

It kind of fits, if he was oxygen deprived and after the Blackbird blew, he could say to himself what he saw might have been a delusion. Or not. That might drive you more crazy than knowing for sure, if you can't quite be sure if what you saw was real or a hallucination. And if it was himself he saw on the Cylon ship, would he turn himself in for what might be a delusion. Or would he be scared out of his mind that he would snap one day and cap his father like Boomer did. If its Zack, the entire idea of having to see his brother again and having to kill him over and over like the Boomers die would probably drive equally Commander Adama, Starbuck and Apollo to the edge.

Apollo seeing himself would be shocking and interesting, but it creates all kinds of story problems that back Moore into a corner, like Roslins cancer. If there is a new Cylon human model, I'm betting on Zack Adama. Again reinforcing the idea that the Cylons have a plan, this has all happened before and the survivors in the fleet weren't random.

361413[/snapback]

Maybe we should keep the fanfic off the thread. I know there's enough people stating what the show would be like if they wrote the series but that one went one step beyond speculation. :unsure:

What you didn't see was when Starbuck jumped in, she saw what was going on and was suppose to broadcast a unfriendly ID to get everybody's attention. But for the sake of time, they trimmed and edited the scene down to what it is now. According to the podcast.

361398[/snapback]

<_< wth? Time? That scene could have taken all of 15 seconds...So am I going to have to listen to podcasts for these hidden extras? How cheesy.

Edited by Zor Primus

Really?

Its not possible at all that one of the beloved BSG crew is a Cylon?

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cylonuhoh2wy.jpg

Hmmm... bsu legato approves of anyone on this board, the total amazing change in the persons bills because of it is...zero? Conversely if bsu legato disapproves and gives the Big Thumbs Down to anyone on this board, the total catastrophic change in the persons bills is ...zero?

Sorry dude, when your opinion and approval actually starts to cost money, then I'll give a rats ass what you think.

LOL, if that's half as good as the "spoilers" you posted for Lost, then we're in for a treat! :lol:

Listen, I know you're relatively new here and you probably want to make a name for yourself with your gruff, "tell it like it is" attitude, but you really should learn to play nice with the other kids. Or am I setting off your "liberal" alarm again? :rolleyes:

<_<  wth? Time? That scene could have taken all of 15 seconds...So am I going to have to listen to podcasts for these hidden extras? How cheesy.

361435[/snapback]

15 seconds is a lot of time.....

Yes, you will need to listen to the podcasts for these little extras. That's how we get our info. If you don't like it, tough.

LOL, if that's half as good as the "spoilers" you posted for Lost, then we're in for a treat!

BTW....those episode summaries....no longer listed on TV.com. Plus or minus a bit, they match the ones on the Dark Horizons.com link I posted a few pages back.

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-200...e.html&season=2

Legitimate spoilers go up and down on movie/tv sites all the time. FX had pictures of 'The Carver' the elusive killer of season 3 Nip/Tuck up by accident. Then it got pulled. Sometimes sites put up real spoilers, sometimes they don't. Doesn't mean its suddenly taboo to talk about potential aspects of the show as long as they are marked and have reference links to give it some credibility.

Listen, I know you're relatively new here and you probably want to make a name for yourself with your gruff, "tell it like it is" attitude, but you really should learn to play nice with the other kids. Or am I setting off your "liberal" alarm again?

Or what?

What exactly are you going to do?

Newsflash, tough guy, you can't do anything. You going to reach through your monitor and exit out of mine and smash my laptop with a hammer? You going to track me down, break into my place, and smash my laptop? You going to run to the admins here, tell them how its just so difficult to ignore the posters and the threads and opinions you don't like and they need to do something about it? You going to send me a voodoo curse and stick pins in a doll so I keel over and can't reach my keyboard.

And as for making a name for myself, I don't tell people what they 'should' and 'should not' do. How easy is it to 'play nice' with an entitlement complex? Sorry if there might be people here who commit the grand sin of not thinking like you do and don't meet your ingrained ideal of what "Macross Worlders should be" I'm not that arrogant to think I am the final arbiter of whats right and wrong here ( You know I think people who do that are called admins and moderators, and you aren't one of them. I respect the admins and mods here and until they shut me down, what makes you think you can?)

If you don't like what I have to say, then you have the choice to read something else,the choice to find threads and discussions that you do enjoy. And if you don't like what I have to say and read it anyway, then doom on you because no one is sticking a gun to your head and disempowering your ability to choose.

I love Macross, I love the franchise and everything that comes with me. Crazy for me to think thats the only real qualification needed to be here. And the vaunted 'tell it like it is' attitude just means I don't really see where I have to take your circlejerk 'stranger from the Internet' bullshit when I haven't even started anything with you directly ever.

So those are your choices. Deal with your asshurt man-gina because you don't have the common sense to ignore threads and replies you don't like. Or find a way to get me banned off this site. I'm not so arrogant enough to think I'm not expendable and that the board won't go on without me. But I'm confident enough that I contribute enough to this forum where getting me clipped is this boards loss.

Is that 'telling it like it is' enough for you?