BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

Definitely, the experimental fighter made me think of the original episode . . . especially during the testflight. The moment Starbuck zoomed off and Apollo radioing frantically for her as she disappeared reminded me of the original series episode.

HAHA to your proposed CORA version for the new series. Wouldn't it be fun to have a "little Boomer" in each viper . . . :p

I don't know if anyone noticed, but this episode also was a homage to much earlier BSG episode (The Long Patrol) where StarBuck flied a Recon Viper named C.O.R.A.

329560[/snapback]

This episode has nothing to do with that. Where is the talking computer and the recon mission?

329570[/snapback]

What Starbuck of old and Starbuck of new flew where both experimental fighters.

One built for speed the other stealth.

That particular episode in the broadest sense parralled the original series in terms of making homade fighters.

If you need a talking computer, stick Boomer in as the headless C.H.U.D. ... Computerized Heads Up Display.

BTW.... would the posting for a Stealth Viper be grounds for a ban for the day?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=15678

329572[/snapback]

I don't know if anyone noticed, but this episode also was a homage to much earlier BSG episode (The Long Patrol) where StarBuck flied a Recon Viper named C.O.R.A.

329560[/snapback]

Are there pics of the CORA recon viper from the old series for comparison's sake? Was it different than the standard viper?

EDIT: Long Patrol synopsis link: http://www.blast.net/hart/LONGPATROL.htm

Edited by Majestic

Are there pics of the CORA recon viper from the old series for comparison's sake? Was it different than the standard viper?

You asked for a picture of the recon viper. Here it is:

battlestar_galactica-0.jpg

There is no difference in the actual design of the fighter, other than the addition of an extra engine and the removal of the laser generators to make room for said engine. And the C.O.R.A. computer herself.

The "homemade" hobby fighter seemed kinda silly. I would have been much happier if there was a factory ship somewhere in the Fleet or that the Galactica had that capability itself. Hell the whole Fleet should be working for a single goal and that's the defense of the Fleet. Nice and fascist.

Pegasus sounds interesting. That chic doesn't measure up to Lloyd Bridges anymore than Starbuckette measures up to Dirk Benedict, but sounds like they're gonna have a similar conflict. They haven't done the flying snowflake angle yet so I'm doubting they'll do the Mephistopholes thing. All that stuff aside, it seems obvious that the Cylons have semi-allowed and directed Galactica to it's point. Wherever the whole reproduction storyline is going, Galactica and the Fleet are at the center.

Pegasus is likely to be filled with clones. Otherwise it's gonna do what the original did and sacrifice itself while it's vipers and extra crewers replenish Galactica.

Roslyn? IF she dies, it would be an opportunity for the Council of Twelve business. They could then have Baltar turn overt traitor, meet his Lucifer and take over a Base Star... nah.

Pegasus sounds interesting.  That chic doesn't measure up to Lloyd Bridges anymore than Starbuckette measures up to Dirk Benedict, but sounds like they're gonna have a similar conflict. 

329904[/snapback]

starbucks.jpg

:lol::lol::p

Pegasus sounds interesting.  That chic doesn't measure up to Lloyd Bridges anymore than Starbuckette measures up to Dirk Benedict, but sounds like they're gonna have a similar conflict.

329904[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but I just could not buy Lloyd Bridges as this legendary Battlestar commander that cheated death. He was just too hammy and goofy. I mean, cmon, he was the captain in Hot Shots that ran a hankie through his head! I'd think you need someone with a little gravity to sell that kind of role. Michelle Forbes should be able to get this across seeing as she played a pretty morose and determined Ro Laren in Star Trek TNG.

But hey, if they wanted a hammy kind of performance ala Kirk for Cain, then they certainly got that.

I'm sorry, but I just could not buy Lloyd Bridges as this legendary Battlestar commander that cheated death.  He was just too hammy and goofy. 

329937[/snapback]

Which is most likely because of your age. Before he started making movies like "Airplane!", he was considered a serious actor. Actually, he still was after that.

I'm sorry, but I just could not buy Lloyd Bridges as this legendary Battlestar commander that cheated death.  He was just too hammy and goofy. 

329937[/snapback]

Which is most likely because of your age. Before he started making movies like "Airplane!", he was considered a serious actor. Actually, he still was after that.

329982[/snapback]

Actually, chances are that I am older than you. :)

I watched both Airplanes and am aware that he was a dramatic actor previously. Although, its his performance in that episode of the original series that I was criticizing because it was particularly hammy and not his previous acting.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved Lloyd Bridges as Cain. It's difficult to explain, but I felt that he displayed such admirable confidence that I couldn't help but like him. He was a loose cannon, sure, but he always looked after his crew, he always brought them back alive, AND he was giving the Cylons what for. Oh yeah, and I thought it was hilarious how afraid Baltar was of him.

William Shatner would have been GREAT as Caine. I think Leonard Nimoy would have been better. Probably too old, though. Arnold could have been good, but his gig as the Governator makes that unlikely at best.

The main problem I have with Michelle Forbes is not gender but that she's not a peer of Adamas aka an elder warrior/statesman type that Bridges seemed. An older woman would have worked. No names are coming to mind but I'm thinking a more distinguished Kate Mulgrew-type would have worked. Bridges' Caine was a peer of Greene's Adama, and hammy or not, he had presence and you could feel the respect of all the Galactica Warriors towards him as an Elder Warrior rather than just a leader or someone with rank. I have trouble envisioning Sackhoff's Starbuck feeling the way Benedict's did about Caine, for example.

:lol: Baltar's fear. I had forgotten about that, but that's another point. This Baltar is afraid of everything, so not to worry about that.

Some notes today.

-Lucy Lawless is set to appear in 2 more episodes this season. More details as they come.

http://www.lucylawlessfanclub.com/index.html

-David Eick's video blog mentions that sets for Pegasus were bought from Fox's now defunct "Lost in Space" series.

-A 1-minute preview of "Pegasus" (airing this week) is up on AOL.

http://television.aol.com/feature/battlestar_galactica_tv

-Interesting interview with Ron Moore as he reflects on what's been done so far this season (as we head into the break).

http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/2150/2/

Apparently there is some interest to bring back more Adama/Tigh flashbacks as we go through the series. 

Another dark horse choice of mine would have been Kurtwood Smith from Robocop/That 70s Show. The guy can get real dark real fast.

330238[/snapback]

"Toasters leave!"

I was just thinking the the other night that he and Clancy Brown have given us a couple of the greatest movie villains of all time.

Hhmm. Clancy Brown, as Cain....

"Why is that Cylon there?"

"I'll tell you later."

(Yeah, I know. He wasn't a villain in that movie. Leave me alone.)

Personally, its my opinion that Cain has to be a very charasmatic character. The new Cain seems, at only a glance, to be some sort of military hard ass.

330466[/snapback]

That is true. While Michelle Forbes can play a hardass, I wouldn't call her charismatic. Imagine a younger Kirk Douglas as Cain, that would have beem awesome. I'd say get Michael Douglas, but the guy wouldn't touch TV much less sci fi TV with a ten foot pole.

Michael Douglas is a shitty actor anyway.

Charisma definitely needed...  Patrick Stewart!  Now you're talking.

330474[/snapback]

Patrick Stewart would come off too diplomatic for that kind of role. Although he is a great actor and now to think of it, he could probably act into a role like that.

Michael Douglas is a shitty actor? :o God, that makes me feel sorry for the latest crop of actors in Hollywood now then, like that Punked kid and Paul Walker. :lol:

If they were trying to duplicate the old Cain then yeah...but they aren't rehashing the old completely...they're re-imagining everything. We'll know for sure how well it works on Friday....I like the majority of what they've done so far with all regards to TOS so I'm confident.

Some great scenes from the Pegasus episode and Eick's video blog on the set of the Pegasus...nothing really spoilery:

http://television.aol.com/feature/battlestar_galactica_tv

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/bts/videob...deo_08_320.html

ALERT: The mid season Finale Episode "Pegasus" will run at least 2 minutes longer than usual so for those recording the show, adjust your TIVO's, DVR's, DVD Recorders, or VCR's accordingly.

Edited by Gaijin

Well, I'm looking forward to this episode. I hope Pegasus can last for a while, I know it's doomed in the long run, but no need to rush it. Hopefully there's some cool vipers/new pilots, maybe a new/different model viper, how about a different paint scheme for Pegasus' Vipers?

As far as Michelle Forbes goes, she is a tad young for the role, but I can live with it. Frankly, I'm hoping she and the Pegasus are as 'militant' as the commercial hinted. It'll be interesting to see Adama explain Roslin, a near civil war in his fleet, a Cylon copy of his own would be assasin on board, and pregneant to boot, the looney Vice President Baltar, the terrorist who almost won the election and carries much weight in the fleet, his two top pilots that defy orders and go AWOL at will, religous hocus pocus guiding the fleets movements, a total lack of martial law AND an all powerful press core hounding every move they make.

:D Now, that said, Adama maybe needs a reality check. Maybe Cain will put Roslin in the cell next to Boomer? :ph34r:

Edited by Major Johnathan

As far as Michelle Forbes goes, she is a tad young for the role, but I can live with it.

The first choice for actress turned the role down. They asked Jane Seymore if she would play the part. She snubbed the role because she hated here part in the original. LAME!!!!!

It'll be interesting to see Adama explain Roslin, a near civil war in his fleet, a Cylon copy of his own would be assasin on board, and pregneant to boot, the looney Vice President Baltar, the terrorist who almost won the election and carries much weight in the fleet, his two top pilots that defy orders and go AWOL at will, religous hocus pocus guiding the fleets movements, a total lack of martial law AND an all powerful press core hounding every move they make.

:D  Now, that said, Adama maybe needs a reality check. Maybe Cain will put Roslin in the cell next to Boomer? :ph34r:

330904[/snapback]

Now that is funny as hell to me. I never thought of it that way before. :lol:

Well, I'm looking forward to this episode. I hope Pegasus can last for a while, I know it's doomed in the long run, but no need to rush it. Hopefully there's some cool vipers/new pilots, maybe a new/different model viper, how about a different paint scheme for Pegasus' Vipers?

As far as Michelle Forbes goes, she is a tad young for the role, but I can live with it. Frankly, I'm hoping she and the Pegasus are as 'militant' as the commercial hinted. It'll be interesting to see Adama explain Roslin, a near civil war in his fleet, a Cylon copy of his own would be assasin on board, and pregneant to boot, the looney Vice President Baltar, the terrorist who almost won the election and carries much weight in the fleet, his two top pilots that defy orders and go AWOL at will, religous hocus pocus guiding the fleets movements, a total lack of martial law AND an all powerful press core hounding every move they make.

:D  Now, that said, Adama maybe needs a reality check. Maybe Cain will put Roslin in the cell next to Boomer? :ph34r:

330904[/snapback]

Yeah, why can't those dumbass civilians just stfu and do what they're told? In fact, they don't even need a government. That's what the Colonial Fleet is there for. And then Apollo, Starbuck and the rest of the pilots should get thier poo together and act like good soldiers, so that we can leave all this "characterisation" nonsense behind and get back to good old fashioned Cylon ass kickery. That would make the show so much more interesting. :rolleyes:

Its crap like this that just reinforces why I always say that fans should stick to watching their shows, and leave the writing to the writers. Science fiction written by the fans, for the fans is inherently garbage. Just look at the nouveau Robotech tripe, for example.

The ones that are constantly complaining (yet continue to watch) are the ones most caught up with the show. They're the type of people that would harrass the actors for the roles they play because they're unable to seperate them.

The ones that are constantly complaining (yet continue to watch) are the ones most caught up with the show.  They're the type of people that would harrass the actors for the roles they play because they're unable to seperate them.

330958[/snapback]

Holy overgeneralizations Batman!

I really like the new BSG, but agree with the “constant complainers†on many of their points. It has only been a couple of months since the eradication of the human race. Realistically everything would be about the survival of the species and martial law would be a given fact. I am willing to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the very good show, but that doesn't mean it is not without some "reality" flaws.

Edited by Baldrick

The ones that are constantly complaining (yet continue to watch) are the ones most caught up with the show.  They're the type of people that would harrass the actors for the roles they play because they're unable to seperate them.

330958[/snapback]

Holy overgeneralizations Batman!

I really like the new BSG, but agree with the “constant complainers” on many of their points. It has only been a couple of months since the eradication of the human race. Realistically everything would be about the survival of the species and martial law would be a given fact. I am willing to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the very good show, but that doesn't mean it is not without some "reality" flaws.

330971[/snapback]

Trust me, I understand some of the reality flaw complaints, the Hummer, the guns, the telephone receivers... but once you start complaining on how characters have conflict with each other, and prefer if everyone get along, then your just asking for bad fan fics.

XO: Good Morning, Adama.

Adama: XO... what's going on today?

XO: Oh, nothing... President Roslin agrees with us, Boomer's not a Cylon and Apollo loves you...

Adama: Oh... ok...

:mellow:

:unsure:

Adama: Well then, I'll be in my cabin... call me if the Cylons attack. I would hate to miss that.

THE END.

It is funny about the people who complain about the show week to week....but watch it week to week anyways...if I truly didn't like a show, I wouldn't watch it. This generation truly amazes me.

Just a few hours away!! :)