BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

I wonder if the original series stuff are easter eggs or if they're just old technology. It'd be pretty cool if the new Galactica were to run into an old series basestar full of old style centurions and raiders commanded by Lucifer with his crazy googly eyes.

Supposed to be just old technology hence most of it being in the "museum" but some are just odd nods to the original. It's kinda cool. And yeah, an old Base Star with Lucifer would be pretty funny.

Edited by Gaijin

The series is so lame, it's not even funny.

I really expect them to re-do all those ships after 25 yr., apparently they are too cheap to do so.  Even when Paramount air a new series star trek series, ea. time, they do a new ship for you to see.

But with Battlestar Galactica: Cheap space fight, cheap special effect, fly by night actors and actresses, all they are doing is riding on the name "battlestar galactica" and trying to make some coins out of the name.

Do you have to do this in every forum I go to? The show IS the best thing on TV.

I even made my own DVD set out of the HiDef AVI's I got from Bit Torrent. I even made a bonus disk that has a couple hundred concept and and production photos. It took 6 DVD's to do it.

Hey Cobiwan, what program do you use to burn them from .avis to DVD format?

I start with Cucusoft's Avi2DVD program. I was able to convert the HighDef PAL to DVD NTSC with that. I used DVD Architect 2 to autor the DVD's with menus and background audio. It's quite amazing what you can piece together with stuff grabed off of the internet. I even made DVD sleeve covers based off of the Sci-fi channels wallpapers. I even got the Battlestar font off the net in like 30 seconds.

I had a lot of fun putting this together. Now I have to go back to casting parts for people.

Cheap space flight? This is the first series since Babylon 5 to attempt realistic space flight. Andomeda has it's moments, but this new BSG tries to keep it as accurate as possible.

I'll admit that some of the shots of the Cylon Centurions look a little off, but for the most part, these are some of hte best FX on TV. Better than some movies I've seen.

I said space fight, not flight.

Look at Fri. episode, the special effect scene of that woman vs. those 8 ships are just crappy. It looks like a high school project film.

The only reason I am watching it is because there isn't anything better to watch, which is the problem w/ sci fi. space ship type show, there is very few. Andromeda (good design ship, cheap special effect, a bunch of XOXO on the display screen ends the fight).

The only good one is SG1 and Atlantis.

I start with Cucusoft's Avi2DVD program. I was able to convert the HighDef PAL to DVD NTSC with that. I used DVD Architect 2 to autor the DVD's with menus and background audio. It's quite amazing what you can piece together with stuff grabed off of the internet. I even made DVD sleeve covers based off of the Sci-fi channels wallpapers. I even got the Battlestar font off the net in like 30 seconds.

All you need is to pipe the output of your S-Video signal (after the tuner) to the input of a LCD like the HP L2335, which c/w S-Video Input.

You can then immediately save it on your hard drive.

Then Use "DVD Author 1.6", and "DVD Patch" to make it in a playable DVD on a conventional DvD stereo player.

From that pt. on, you can use "DVD X Copy" to cut down the size of the MPEG2 file and press it in single layer DVD+R, or DVD+RW.

If any of the above s/w changes the "Book Type" on you, buy Benq Dual Layer DVD+RW drive to alter the Book Type to Stereo DVD player format. (read only)

Cheap space flight? This is the first series since Babylon 5 to attempt realistic space flight. Andomeda has it's moments, but this new BSG tries to keep it as accurate as possible.

I'll admit that some of the shots of the Cylon Centurions look a little off, but for the most part, these are some of hte best FX on TV. Better than some movies I've seen.

I said space fight, not flight.

Look at Fri. episode, the special effect scene of that woman vs. those 8 ships are just crappy. It looks like a high school project film.

The only reason I am watching it is because there isn't anything better to watch, which is the problem w/ sci fi. space ship type show, there is very few. Andromeda (good design ship, cheap special effect, a bunch of XOXO on the display screen ends the fight).

The only good one is SG1 and Atlantis.

I also said space flight. I thought her going into that vertical circle strafe, was pretty cool.

As for the cinematography of the exterior space scenes; that's done intentionally. They want it to look like there's a cameraman out there, in space, with the ships. In the miniseries, they were trying to make it look more like a war correspondent was doing the filming. Thankfully, they quit with the oddball out of focus stuff.

As much as I like the Stargate shows, BSG has much better looking space shots. The spaceships on Stargate always look CGed.

It's 230 A.M. and I'm having my free time now, BSG plays on Space TV on saturdays here I think. I'll probably never have a chance to watch it regularly as I have yet to see one ep. however I did see the pilot movie and it rocked.......so I have to read what's posted here until the DVD's are avalable <_<

Edited by cambodian tire

Zoic's CGI always looked more "real" to me than any other studio. They also did Firefly.

They also did Van Helsing, which had horrible CG... but the ending credits were great. lol, but don't let that fool you, the FX here are the best Ive seen for a series.

They also did the HP "picture books" ad.

I have to agree that the special effects are the best you'll see at the moment for a series that needs them so often on a tv budget.

Despite my early pre-viewing misgivings due to a nostalgic love of the old series, I have enjoyed this series start to end (so far). It's sort of a shame that anyone who has had to wait for Sci-fi to broadcast them all will probably have the season finale spoiled already. My only real gripe with it was that the incident came out of the blue and while I have since put together two logical reasons for it, both are very speculative and based on little presented evidence.

Anyway, while there was discussion early on about the various BSG toys coming out, I don't think anyone's talked about any in hand, so here's a quick little review on the Joyride ones:

Last week my Joyride Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider arrived. I went with the Joyride ones instead of holding out for the Japanese ones coming down the road mainly because the latter looking like your 'random box' type vender machine style toys, which means that they'll be small and probably made out of soft plastic with less detailing. I'll be happy to be proved wrong (would love to get the Galactica, even if it winds up being only as long as the Joyride Viper's nose). Instead of writing a long winded review, I've decided to attach the picture below and make the review more of extended captions and try to let the pictures tell some of the words.

1) The Viper and Raider unpackaged and placed on their stands. They look like decently done models, which is always a plus (for some reason, models are easier for the 'normal' women-folk out there to accept over toys). The paint jobs are clean and there's some weathering done on both (surprisingly, my Raider almost looks more weathered than the Viper and I usually picture it the other way around). Although they shared similar sized figures, I don't believe the fighters are to scale, as the three-man Raider looks dwarfed by the single seat Viper.

2) The detailing is nice. It reminds me of the old model kits (I never had one, but remember being jealous over my cousin's wonderfully painted up one). The grey seems little darker than I seem to remember from the original show (it's almost the same color as the 1/48 Low-Vis), but it looks fine nonetheless.

3) When looking at it in packaging, I was set to be disappointed with the Raider for only including two Cylons, but there's a third already set in the hard-to-reach center seat. I almost think the cockpit is a little roomy compared to how I remember the shots of the three Cylons together, but it might just be faulty memories...and I'm just happy they remember all three. It would've been very easily for a toy company to suddenly make the Raider a single pilot vehicle if no care was taken.

4) The Viper and the Valk. Wingtip to wingtip with a 1/60 VF-1J. The Viper's about seven and change inches long, making it big enough to provide detail and feel fine to 'fly around' in your hand, while being small enough not to eat too much real estate. Note the attachable landing gear, which is a nice plus. Although the pilot (who's the same size as the Cylons) would indicate maybe a 1/72 (or maybe smaller) scale, I think the Viper is actually closer to a 1/60 scale (or somewhere between 1/60 and 1/55).

5) Hikaru going for a test flight. To help demonstate that I think the scale's off between pilot and plane, here's a 1/60 Hikaru sitting in the cockpit for one of the typical old BSG profile shots. He is much closer-looking to the way the pilots' heads in the series filled the cockpit. The included pilot has enough head room that another could probably sit on his shoulders and fit in the cockpit.

6) Further 'evidence'. While the old Joyride MadCat is also subject to its own scale issues, the pilots of the Viper and the MadCat are pretty much identical in size, making these two war machines apparently 'in scale', if Joyride was to be believed. Maybe if that was a 'MadKitten'.

7) Boxey! Don't sit on your daddy's plane's laser guns! See how small the pilot looks? The pilot could've used a little more detail and slightly better paint application, but at @1/72, I can't ask for much.

Overall, I've very happy with this pair (I didn't get the Cylon just because my main love of old series BSG stuff is the space craft). Nice details, good size, sturdy, if light, feeling, and the scale issues may only bother the most hardcore fans or model fanatics. My biggest complaint so far about the Joyride series is...where the frack is the Battlestar Galactica itself, Joyride? Their upcoming releases are almost all more figures (Starbuck, Apollo, Adama...Athena?...yet no BSG herself).

post-26-1107182276_thumb.jpg

I start with Cucusoft's Avi2DVD program.  I was able to convert the HighDef PAL to DVD NTSC with that.  I used DVD Architect 2 to autor the DVD's with menus and background audio.  It's quite amazing what you can piece together with stuff grabed off of the internet.  I even made DVD sleeve covers based off of the Sci-fi channels wallpapers.  I even got the Battlestar font off the net in like 30 seconds.

All you need is to pipe the output of your S-Video signal (after the tuner) to the input of a LCD like the HP L2335, which c/w S-Video Input.

You can then immediately save it on your hard drive.

Then Use "DVD Author 1.6", and "DVD Patch" to make it in a playable DVD on a conventional DvD stereo player.

From that pt. on, you can use "DVD X Copy" to cut down the size of the MPEG2 file and press it in single layer DVD+R, or DVD+RW.

If any of the above s/w changes the "Book Type" on you, buy Benq Dual Layer DVD+RW drive to alter the Book Type to Stereo DVD player format. (read only)

What the hell are you talking about? You don't make any sense. Explain where I am supposed to get a HiDef signal from the Sci-fi channel here in the US. You're talking out of your @$$ as usuall.

I had a lot of fun putting this together. Now I have to go back to casting parts for people.

I'm gonna have to try that tonight so I can see it at my brothers big screen. Thanks Cobywan.

Watched it Friday...was it just me or did they blur out Starbucks flashin a bit to the camera when she was gettin it on with Zak? 0_o I swear I saw a blur...

You just wish there was something to blur... mmm Stabuck/Six Sandwich, lol

I'm pretty sure I saw a blur of what she did have :p as small as it may be. It was a quick flash on that sex scene but I'm pretty sure I did see it...just thought that was interesting to see...was probably not blurred in Europe or wha ever.

It's 230 A.M. and I'm having my free time now, BSG plays on Space TV on saturdays here I think. I'll probably never have a chance to watch it regularly as I have yet to see one ep. however I did see the pilot movie and it rocked.......so I have to read what's posted here until the DVD's are avalable <_<

Just do like me and set the VCR to record it, then watch it later.

As much as I like the Stargate shows, BSG has much better looking space shots. The spaceships on Stargate always look CGed.

Alright, what about ST: TNG? Their special effect is way better than BSG. BSG just don't have the budget, that's why they have these cheap actors/actresses and lame special effect.

That Fri. episode when starbuck fight against those 8 enemy space ships, the special effect quality dated back to the first star war in 1977. Just a couple of beam shots, when I was watching it, I just can't believe how plain that is. Talk about "lack of special effect."

Even the setup of the interior of the ships, ST:TNG is many times better. I mean, is it even possible that in the time era of BSG, that they are still relying on analog clock? Next thing you know, they are using Energizer battery. Have you seen an analog clock (like the ones at Walmart) in ST:TNG?

Alright, what about ST: TNG? Their special effect is way better than BSG. BSG just don't have the budget, that's why they have these cheap actors/actresses and lame special effect.

That Fri. episode when starbuck fight against those 8 enemy space ships, the special effect quality dated back to the first star war in 1977. Just a couple of beam shots, when I was watching it, I just can't believe how plain that is. Talk about "lack of special effect."

Even the setup of the interior of the ships, ST:TNG is many times better. I mean, is it even possible that in the time era of BSG, that they are still relying on analog clock? Next thing you know, they are using Energizer battery. Have you seen an analog clock (like the ones at Walmart) in ST:TNG?

I can understand if you don't like it, but why are you trying so hard to convice the rest of us to feel the same way?

nothing more scary than the die hard trek fan...

well maybe an orgy of them...

sad... really sad.

i am so getting the joyride toys! i love that they are doing this since hasbro killed the action fleet micro machine thing i tend to have cravings for scaled down fighter mayhem :D

Sometime a persons arguments against something have the effect of bolstering the argument towards that something. The pajamas on ST:TNG were definately better than the clothes in Galactica.

If I were to post what I really feel about his online comments I would HAVE to be reprimanded, or banned. God I wish I were a moderator here. :angry:

6) Further 'evidence'. While the old Joyride MadCat is also subject to its own scale issues, the pilots of the Viper and the MadCat are pretty much identical in size, making these two war machines apparently 'in scale', if Joyride was to be believed. Maybe if that was a 'MadKitten'.

I agree,

The madcat's pilot is waaayyy too small. Here's what I did with mine. I put a 1/48 scale f14 pilot in it and as per the scale references I found on some webpage (I can't remember the address), it looks to be more in line with 1/55 or 1/60 like you say. When I saw your picture showin the viper pilot, I just couldn't belive Joyride was so fooked up with the scale as once again it looks way to small.

By the way, here's what I did with my Madcat.

I can understand if you don't like it, but why are you trying so hard to convice the rest of us to feel the same way?

Just a couple of beam shots... :lol: maybe he thinks they're really in space and those are real planets, so all the FX he sees are the beam shots... :lol: and for them to use real missiles out in 0G, talk about plain cheesy... :rolleyes:

Edited by >EXO<

Opus, you're wasting your breath with Happy: he posts the same type of lame comments on other forums. Most members just snicker at him behind his back or in PM, I prefer to do it out in the open. Much more satisfying.

AWESOME CAP~~!!

Hey guys, unfortunately for me, still no sci fi here. How is the new fighter in comparison to the MarkII? Is it worse in any way at all? The new one resembles hints of the Vic Viper.

BTW how much were the ships?

Just a couple of beam shots... :lol: maybe he thinks they're really in space and those are real planets, so all the FX he sees are the beam shots... :lol: and for them to use real missiles out in 0G, talk about plain cheesy... :rolleyes:

I never liked the space shots in Next Gen. It always looked CGed, to me. I was pretty surprised to find out that the actually used physical models. BSG looks soo much better.

What beam shots? They don't have directive energy weapons on BSG. Starbuck was shooting at them with autocannon. They use bullets. Particle effects in CG are incredibly common. The weapons choice has nothing to do with budget. It's probably harder to do the bullets, than to do a standard sci-fi energy beam.

They're not going for the bling bling wow factor, they're going for realism. And, they're doing it well.

Analog clocks, when digital technology exists. Imagine that. Most people prefer analog cocks. I see a lot more analog watches, than digital ones, in the real world, even though digital clock/watch technology has been around for decades. Those Rolex watches must be pretty cheap, they're analog!

The Galactica itself has low tech inside, becasue it was built for the first Cylon war. They kept it low tech, so that the Cylons couldn't use the colonies' own sophisticated computer technology against them. Adama has never allowed the ship's systems to be updated. This was all done on a pupose.

Again, the interior look is for realism. They don't want it to look like a luxery liner, inside. It's an aging, 40 year old battleship.

Look at pictures of the inside of a real warship. Looks a lot more like the Galactica, than the Enterprise.

I don't care how well known the actors on the show are. They can act! That counts for a lot more than a big name.

You're confusing realism with low budget. Real cars don't blow up when they get shot in the trunk, regardless of what Hollywood would have us believe. If you saw a car not blow up in a movie, when the back end got shot, would you think that was also low budget?

Greyryder I completely agree with you about the appearance and how it is harder to animate the cannon than beams. And I definitely feel that the actors are all giving the series 110% and that is another reason why the series is doing so well. The appearance of the tech aside it really comes down to what you are willing to accept, IMO I am just going along for the ride. :p