Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

sh9000

My girlfriend's a huge Potter fan so I know I'll get dragged to see it regardless.

That said, I absolutely adore the attention and care the production crews went to in recreating the period dress and architecture and I'm VERY curious to see how Mads Mikkelsen will do as he steps into Johnny Depp's former role as Grindelwald.  I really didn't care for Depp's performance in The Crimes of Grindelwald, and I kind of suspect that Mikkelsen is going to be a much better fit for the role.  He's playing almost-literal Wizard Hitler, someone who oscillates between social awkwardness and bombastic rage and charisma, which seems like a good fit for Mikkelsen's more reserved acting style.

Since you mentioned it, as a huge Wizarding World fan, I have wondered one thing….when did the Magical community start dressing all odd? They clearly  dressed, mostly, like the rest of the world around them. Then by the time of Harry Potter, they all dress in robes and odd garish outfits. Always kind of bugged me.

Chris

@Dobber  Not the only one...

dbdcdb0a85d99c8b269e47b2a2111f8e.jpg

And of course I'm interested. The trailer looks good, though I was concerned by not seeing Katherine Waterston in it. She's apparently in the movie, but I hope her character has not been shorted. Esp since she had such big roles in the first two, to not be in the first trailer at all is odd.

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Since you mentioned it, as a huge Wizarding World fan, I have wondered one thing….when did the Magical community start dressing all odd? They clearly  dressed, mostly, like the rest of the world around them. Then by the time of Harry Potter, they all dress in robes and odd garish outfits. Always kind of bugged me.

Wasn't that kind of a books-only thing?  It's been a while but IIRC it was only really Voldemort and the Hogwarts teachers who wore robes everywhere in the movies and everyone else would throw the occasional robe/cloak over a regular suit or school uniform.  It'd be harder to do action sequences if everyone were pantsless.  

(That and, y'know, since they tried to grim things up a bit they don't have accidental comedy from folks going around dressed like the dumpster behind a Goodwill.)

We should probably count our lucky stars they haven't gone back far enough to see pre-modern bathroom Hogwarts where students and staff canonically just sh*t on the floor and cleaned it up with magic.  (J.K. Rowling is a very strange person.)

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Weren’t they trying to squeeze six movies out of this series?  JK needs to be paid some more…

so, they are probably saving Tina for ep 4,5,6, unless the actress honked off the wrong producer.

Other way around, actually.

Fantastic Beasts was originally planned as a trilogy, but after the first one they announced they were going to do five of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw the first one. It was mildly entertaining. I may catch this at some point. But I'm not a HP fan either. I think there's way better fiction out there that should be made into movies.

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

Saw the first one. It was mildly entertaining. I may catch this at some point. But I'm not a HP fan either. I think there's way better fiction out there that should be made into movies.

It's enjoyable for what it is, IMO... and we should all be grateful that nobody's been stupid enough to do a film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.