ThreeZero ROBOTECH (Macross) Toys

kyekye

If anyone lives around Los Angeles, you can visit the Little Toyko Mall and see the VF-1J in person until 14APR:

Would love for someone to have a look and share impressions.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

The more I see these "on display"....the less I am impressed by them...

They seem a bit too stocky...

There's a lot that I like about them, honestly.  The panel lines have grown on me a bit which is surprising given that I'm usually not into that embellishment.  If I have a concern, it relates to the width of the chest: I recall seeing an image of the VF-1S in which the chest appeared disproportionately wide relative to the rest of the body.  Still, I'm keeping all of my preorders alive (of course, threezero's preorder terms appear designed to prevent me from getting any sort of refund even if I wanted one).

11 minutes ago, 26662 said:

There's a lot that I like about them, honestly.  The panel lines have grown on me a bit which is surprising given that I'm usually not into that embellishment.  If I have a concern, it relates to the width of the chest: I recall seeing an image of the VF-1S in which the chest appeared disproportionately wide relative to the rest of the body.  Still, I'm keeping all of my preorders alive (of course, threezero's preorder terms appear designed to prevent me from getting any sort of refund even if I wanted one).

The heavy-duty panel lining was one of the things that was a complaint about the first KC VF-1S release....it was considerably toned down on future releases....guess ThreeZero must have been a fan of that "look"...

But that's just paint apps which can be fixed....the mold can't be fixed for this release if it turns out as bad as it looks...maybe it's just bad camera angles...

I'm not familiar with Threezero or their other releases.  Are they known for right-shifting product releases?  These figures appear to have remained unchanged, as far as I can tell, for a LOOOOONG time.  If I'm correct, the delayed release is puzzling.  Someone mentioned way back when that there were rights issues that were holding up the release.  Anyone have any current insight on the matter?

looking at these pictures, the feet look like they were almost a direct copy of the Banda DX Chogokin VF-1 designs, with the all metal construction, but this is not a dis, I really like the feel of the all metal feet.  I even like the look of the stand.  I just hope that these will be available in good quantities, and not some obscure, limited run of 1000 pieces, hurry now!

Twich

On 5/4/2024 at 11:24 AM, 26662 said:

I'm not familiar with Threezero or their other releases.  Are they known for right-shifting product releases?  These figures appear to have remained unchanged, as far as I can tell, for a LOOOOONG time.  If I'm correct, the delayed release is puzzling.  Someone mentioned way back when that there were rights issues that were holding up the release.  Anyone have any current insight on the matter?

I have a few Threezero items, and their construction & engineering is great, with smart use of metal in places to give a nice feeling of heft without compromising durability or posability. They usually punch above their price point compared to established Japanese brands like Bandai. From what I see online here and there, there's very little quality issues on modern Threezero products, but as with other brands, sometimes it does rear its head and its usually due to tolerances errors rather than outright engineering or design incompetence.

Was expecting reviews to have start to come out based on previous info of April release, but their latest update is that release have been pushed to this month. So, anytime now I guess. 

I have one of the original Threezero Patlabor figures, and it gets an A grade from me. Even has fabric joint covers that look good. Hefty, solid, poseable, gimmicks, hits all the right notes.

Only company I've been more impressed with is CCS (specifically their Gurren Lagann, which is amazing)

I think that Amazon USA website lists the item as releasing on May 22, 2024.  So take this with a grain of salt, as I have no idea how official this date may be.

Twich