Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Mirage Type

jvmacross

17 hours ago, Graham said:

Only issue with my recently purchased Mirage VF-31AX is that on of the arm railguns is angled a bit downward in fighter mode.

Apart from that the toy is fine.

You are lucky sir! That is about my only problem with the reissue VF-31AX Hayate use. That and the folding knives won’t stay attached behind the arm shields!

Twich

• 4 months later...

Posted this:

When I was transforming Bogue back to fighter mode I figured out what my problem with that toy was. The sliding forearm must have had some flash so it was only sliding like 90% of the range it was supposed to. I noticed the gaps on the one side were just a tiny bit worse than they were on the other side so... I did what you should never do with these expensive toys, I forced it and it was one of those rare occsasions where that was the right move. Now the forearm moves much more freely and gets all the way to the right position and my guns now both behave properly. 

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Posted this:

When I was transforming Bogue back to fighter mode I figured out what my problem with that toy was. The sliding forearm must have had some flash so it was only sliding like 90% of the range it was supposed to. I noticed the gaps on the one side were just a tiny bit worse than they were on the other side so... I did what you should never do with these expensive toys, I forced it and it was one of those rare occsasions where that was the right move. Now the forearm moves much more freely and gets all the way to the right position and my guns now both behave properly. 

This gives more hope that the arm cannons issue can be fixed. I believe @Chronocidal also reported the same thing for Hayate's first release. I did try to force the arm slider a bit but no luck then, so I suppose have to try even harder next time..

Has anyone opened one up to look for flash and "carefully removed via slicing with an Xacto" vs forcing+hoping?  Or is it in an area that's basically impossible to take apart? (I don't have any AX versions yet, only an original -31)    (I hate how much Bandai glues everything----I could make my -25's flawless if I could just get everything apart nicely)   

I don't have one handy to take a look at, but I believe the entire arm assembly is a sandwich of panels that are not intended to ever come apart.  It looked like the sleeve that slides on the arm was glued together around the arm, leading to the inevitable mess when the glue seeped between the layers, and locked the sleeve in place.

Who knows if it could ever be safely disassembled.  I think one of mine was stuck so badly that I had to resort to bludgeoning the thing with a rubber mallet before it slid properly.  I think I used a pink eraser as a chisel.

It's not even that the thing ever really took that much force, there is just nowhere to actually grip it.  The only part easy to grab would be the folding elbow armor, and there was no way I was going to exert any type of force on that fragile-looking linkage.