MW update

macplus

Wrong board for this post, I am guessing it will be moved... As they've said, Shawn is busy, and Graham isn't an "working" co-admin, he's simply our Yamato toy liason. Its just my opinion, but Shawn needs to find someone to manage things around here so he canlive his life and not worry about it. We need someone to run the website and the boards when Shawn can't.

If it's easier on Shawn, why not simply get rid of everything but the forums? News, toys, models, games... it's all covered in the boards anyway.

Cause Macross World isn´t just about toy , models and games.

If people actually looked outside the forums they would realise all the info gathered in the MW main site , of course all they care about is the Forum´s toys section and that´s it. <_<

If it's easier on Shawn, why not simply get rid of everything but the forums? News, toys, models, games... it's all covered in the boards anyway.

I'd for one would miss the magazine updates. The forums are great, but the scanned magazine pictures have given me tons of inspiration to go out and build models in ways I hadn't tried before.

I totally understand that this site is a labor of love, and it pays nothing. Even if there isn't another update for a year, I have to thank Shawn for all the work he has put into this site so far.

If it's easier on Shawn, why not simply get rid of everything but the forums?  News, toys, models, games... it's all covered in the boards anyway.

I'd for one would miss the magazine updates. The forums are great, but the scanned magazine pictures have given me tons of inspiration to go out and build models in ways I hadn't tried before.

I totally understand that this site is a labor of love, and it pays nothing. Even if there isn't another update for a year, I have to thank Shawn for all the work he has put into this site so far.

I don't know if they quit, but a lot of people that got the magazines posted the best stuff in the forums.

If it's easier on Shawn, why not simply get rid of everything but the forums?  News, toys, models, games... it's all covered in the boards anyway.

Cause Macross World isn´t just about toy , models and games.

If people actually looked outside the forums they would realise all the info gathered in the MW main site , of course all they care about is the Forum´s toys section and that´s it. <_<

I've hit the main page, Aegis. And aside from scans from the magazines and books, it's not exactly overwhelming in content. There's a reason we're always directing people to the Compendium instead of the MW front page.

I will agree with you on one thing... MW isn't about the toys, models, and games. MW is about the community. One of the reasons this is the only forum I post at is because of the community... most of us have been here for awhile, some of us for quite awhile. When you see a post by a member, rarely do you say to yourself, "who the heck is that guy?" I recognize people like lebhead as being one of the resident RT experts, David as being the plane guru, and I recognize you, Aegis, for trying to start some of the more interesting discussions instead of the same old "I just saw Macross Zero part XX and it ruled!" That's why most of us don't go outside the forums anymore. Need some info? One of us has it. A pic? One of us has it. Something else? One of us probably has it. The combined resources of the board members have outstripped what the main site has to offer. It even blatantly informs you that the news is in the forums.

For the record, I never go to the toys section. Macross toys/models are too expensive for my blood. The only toys and models I've ever bothered with are a few Megaman, and a few Gundam. I spend most of my time here in the Movies and TV Series board and the Other Anime and Science Fiction board.

Macrossworld would not be Macrossworld if it was just forums.

It is great having so much information in one place. It is a lot easier finding things when you don't have to go searching through forums all the time...

And personally, I'm not into Macross because of toys :)

And personally, I'm not into Macross because of toys :)

Me neither, toys mean little to me, I am more into the story and background data... MW has some of this data but it has had little new stuff added and additions are necessary with MZero.

The existing front page is out of date, but it's still one of the best references on the net for Macross products, especially older toys, books, and memorabilia. Shawn is obviously busy and/or burnt-out on Macross, but as long as he doesn't mind hosting the material, I'm glad it's there. Eventually, he'll either get some free time or he'll decide to share the burden of maintaining the site.

The forums are great for information and breaking news, but material keeps getting buried and then the same questions get asked, etc. The front page serves as a more permanent reference.

Wrong board for this post, I am guessing it will be moved... As they've said, Shawn is busy, and Graham isn't an "working" co-admin, he's simply our Yamato toy liason. Its just my opinion, but Shawn needs to find someone to manage things around here so he canlive his life and not worry about it. We need someone to run the website and the boards when Shawn can't.

One of the times I got to talk to Shawn over the phone back in 2002, I brought up the subject if it were ever stressful maintaining the site and forum. He told me that he enjoyed it (as in running Macross World and the forum) and that it was stress relief for him. :)

One of the times I got to talk to Shawn over the phone back in 2002, I brought up the subject if it were ever stressful maintaining the site and forum. He told me that he enjoyed it (as in running Macross World and the forum) and that it was stress relief for him. :)

Ya, but the problem is it isn't being maintained. Not that I hold it against him, its only a website, its not life. Still, he spends his money keeping this place going, I would hope he'd find someone to run it.

As long as the forums stay up...

As long as the forum AND the site stay up....it'll be just fine.

The problem with this is that Graham and Shawn went to alot of trouble to put up tons if info in the regular site.

Practically anything you would want to know about toys, artwork, fan custom models etc are on the regular site.

Meaning that alot of the useless questions that get asked here by n00b's could be avoided if they would check the main site where that info is available.

In addition to that, I remember a comment from Graham where he said that he wondered if they took down the rest of the site, if anyone would notice.

Compared to the forums, the rest of the site is really antiquated. What makes it worse is that it would really be pretty easy to integrate the site into the same PHP format that the forums use. That way, MW could all be accessed from a menu at the side of the forums page.

I hate to say it, but straight up HTML is dead.

In addition to that, I remember a comment from Graham where he said that he wondered if they took down the rest of the site, if anyone would notice.

If no one notices that is just a sign of the fact that the thing never gets updated... Besides, the main page is for new people, would THEY notice? No, the don't know what they are looking for.

.....it would really be pretty easy to integrate the site into the same PHP format that the forums use.  That way, MW could all be accessed from a menu at the side of the forums page.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd say give it a shot.

I for one kinda feel let down for the past 6 months or so. The thing for me is not really the fact that the toys section for reviews hasn't been updated (significantly) for the past 6 months but I kind of resent all the teasing that has been going around in the past weeks. First, the teaser in the updates section promissing a kick ass update

"Have a Gigantic update coming during the week of Christmas-you will not be disappointed!!"

Then Graham's sig saying we're gonna see pictures in X days with a virtual countdown that kept us hoping for something to chew on.

These two events go against the one only true things I like about this website, like the friendships that developed here over time, the trust between members, the affiliations that get created, the respect between long time members and all these good values that are transmitted here. These two unfulfilled "promises" from Shawn and Graham kinda go against the trust I have in them. I am certain there is excellent reasons for the updates and all the virtual good stuff no to be presented on this site. I am certain Graham and Shawn have many other important things to do in the non virtual world like to take care of their families and all these down to earth and necessary things, but please, out of respect for us friends and fans, please tell us why the updates are not here, whitout giving specific details, just be transparent and be assured that we will all understand as we have enormous respect and trust in you. The fact that you have been totaly mute following the provoqued hype is a bit sad to me.

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work both Shawn and Graham put in this site and forums, as a matter of fact, I'd be willing to pay a yearly fee to access it if this is what it took to keep it up. Please take this as a constructive comment from a true friend and fan.

Thanks

Erick

Meaning that alot of the useless questions that get asked here by n00b's could be avoided if they would check the main site where that info is available.

Compared to the forums, the rest of the site is really antiquated. What makes it worse is that it would really be pretty easy to integrate the site into the same PHP format that the forums use. That way, MW could all be accessed from a menu at the side of the forums page.

I hate to say it, but straight up HTML is dead.

Let's see, how many times have I had to point to the Compendium in the Newbie questions thread....I'd say enough times. But yeah, the main site to this place holds a vast amount of info on toys, models, collectibles, etc. And yet no one bothers to look. <_>

I agree with converting the site to php. The main site to this place needs to be updated. PHP would definitely give the place a much needed face lift. Graham would no longer need to write html for his reviews. He could just open notepad, write one up, and let php handle the parsing (or Perl).

The only bad part about this idea is finding time for Shawn to let a bunch of us in and work the site. The content of the site stays the same, but we just convert the entire site to php. If Shawn is working 45 hour weeks and has a life, we're going to have to drag him out of bed and drop him in front of a computer and let him do his part.

This is an example of how MW would look if integrated fully into PHP.

http://www.katoots.com/forum/index.php

Nice. I'm all for that, but like azrael said,

"The only bad part about this idea is finding time for Shawn to let a bunch of us in and work the site. The content of the site stays the same, but we just convert the entire site to php. If Shawn is working 45 hour weeks and has a life, we're going to have to drag him out of bed and drop him in front of a computer and let him do his part."

Then Graham's sig saying we're gonna see pictures in X days with a virtual countdown that kept us hoping for something to chew on.

These two events go against the one only true things I like about this website, like the friendships that developed here over time, the trust between members, the affiliations that get created, the respect between long time members and all these good values that are transmitted here. These two unfulfilled "promises" from Shawn and Graham kinda go against the trust I have in them.

But you did see the pics, the 1/100 VF-0.

Graham

"The only bad part about this idea is finding time for Shawn to let a bunch of us in and work the site. The content of the site stays the same, but we just convert the entire site to php. If Shawn is working 45 hour weeks and has a life, we're going to have to drag him out of bed and drop him in front of a computer and let him do his part."

That's easier said than done actually.

Go with something like Mambo, where the admins can grant certain members access to contribute content to the site which has to ultimately be approved by the admin in order to be published.

My company's intranet is run entirely on Mambo and PHP, and it is a great system once you get it set up.

That's easier said than done actually.

Go with something like Mambo, where the admins can grant certain members access to contribute content to the site which has to ultimately be approved by the admin in order to be published.

My company's intranet is run entirely on Mambo and PHP, and it is a great system once you get it set up.

So is it secure too?

Great suggestions all... I just wish there was a way we could all work together on this stuff... I mean, there's got to be a least 10 decent hardcore MW members who are both coders as well as some very good designers...

Maybe we could go all A-Team and form a crack commando unit? ;)

Edited to clarify: My crack commando unit, I meant a bunch of free contract laborers for MW, dictated and directed, of course, by the Powers That Be (Shawn & Graham).

Edited by Blaine23