MW update

macplus

Ask not what Macross World can do for you, but what you can do for Macross World.

Maybe that was cheesy, but it's true. This constant bitching about the main site not being updated is pointless unless someone saddles up and offers their help to get it done. I think Blaine's idea is a good one. An updated Macross World would be a bit much to handle for one person, so maybe a group of volunteers is the way to go. That said, Macross World is Shawn and Graham's baby and I suspect they might have a hard time letting a bunch of other people start messing with it.

Ultimately though, websites do have a life cycle. As their owner's get busier the website becomes less of a priority and they die out or at least stop updating. Shawn and Graham don't owe us anything. They provided Macross fandom with a whole helluva lot and continue to do so by paying for and maintaining this message board and the main site (which is still an incredible archive of 15 years of Macross merchandise). It's their site, if they don't update... we have no right to be upset.

Be thankful for what we have, and unless you can come up with a solution for getting Macross World updated again, there's no use in complaining.

Ask not what Macross World can do for you, but what you can do for Macross World.

Shawn and Graham don't owe us anything.

Very true! Shawn and Graham doesn't owe us, we the members owe them.

If I had the computer programming skills, I would readily volunteer to help out.

In any case, it requires Shawn to do his part which would be the set-up. And right now, I don't think Shawn has the time to do it. Which leads back to what I said.

Don't you just hate it! Time can be anybody's worst enemy.

Well the other alternative is this...

Anyone can get the source code and images right from the main site.

So, take that info, and images, re-create the site on your own time, then offer up the code to Shawn. All he would have to do is upload it to the MW server, and voila.

Though that is a nice idea, intention-wise... nothing should be done without a full on sanction from Shawn & Graham. This is their baby and it's totally their decision. I wouldn't want to be a part of anything that felt underhanded.

But I do think the idea of "helpers" is a good one and now that it's been thrown out there, we'll just see if it's what they would like to do. Azrael's right, everything basically waits until the owner of the site has the time to decide what he wants to do.

But I'll officially offer up my skills as content manager and graphics designer, plus light coding (no php skills yet, but I love to learn)... if Shawn has any use for them. Anybody else interested (and actually capable, no offense) that has the time and the love for MW to work hard for free should basically do the same.