FullMetal Alchemist Live Action - Winter 2017

no3Ljm

The film will open in Japan in winter 2017.

Fumihiko Sori (live-action Ping Pong) is directing the film. On adapting the source material, Sori said, "I want to create a style that follows the original manga as much as possible. The cast is entirely Japanese, but the cultural background is Europe. However, it's a style that doesn't represent a specific race or country." Regarding the faithfulness of the adaptation, which has characters of non-Japanese ethnicity, the director said, "There will never be a scene in which a character says something that would identify him/her as Japanese."

The film stars Ryōsuke Yamada (Hey! Say! JUMP member and live-action Assassination Classroom's Nagisa) as Edward Elric, Tsubasa Honda (live-action Blue Spring Ride's Futaba) (pictured top right in image to the right) as Winry Rockbell, and Dean Fujioka (live-action Happy Marriage!?) (pictured bottom left in image to the right) as Roy Mustang. Other cast members include:

Fumiyo Kohinata as General Hakuro

Ryuta Sato as Maes Hughes

Misako Renbutsu as Riza Hawkeye

Natsuna as Maria Ross

Natsuki Harada as Gracia Hughes

Yo Oizumi as Shou Tucker

Jun Kunimura as Doctor Marco

Yasuko Matsuyuki as Lust

Kanata Hongou as Envy

Shinji Uchiyama as Gluttony

Kenjiro Ishimaru as Father Cornello

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-15/live-action-fullmetal-alchemist-film-teaser-shows-ryosuke-yamada-as-ed-and-cg-al/.108858

Edited by no3Ljm

Definitely looks cheap, but pretty much all live action japanese adaptations do, I recently watched Parasyte 1 and 2, loved the manga to death, the anime too, the movies were very meh. Like others mentioned, I don't know why the Japanese keep attempting to adapt these series that have clearly European influenced characters, first Attack on Titan, which was awful and the casting was distracting the entire way through, now this. In the sequel movie to the original anime series it was basically stated that the "real world" counter parts of most of our beloved characters are German in our world, some random Japanese boy band front man in a blond wig just doesn't cut it.

@tking22 - I take it you haven't seen the train wreck that is the live action Attack on Titan (part 1 and 2)

While it would be nice to have white actors for this, it seems that Japan is keeping these in-house which limits their talent pool.

As long as it has the same feel and some good alchemist fight sequences I'll at least be entertained.

@tking22 - I take it you haven't seen the train wreck that is the live action Attack on Titan (part 1 and 2)

While it would be nice to have white actors for this, it seems that Japan is keeping these in-house which limits their talent pool.

As long as it has the same feel and some good alchemist fight sequences I'll at least be entertained.

first Attack on Titan, which was awful and the casting was distracting the entire way through, now this.

I did indeed, some of the effects shots were great, I think overall TOHO did a fantastic job bringing the titans to life, everything else looked really bad though, especially the maneuver gear shots, they were rough. The story was butchered, as expected, the manga isn't anywhere near done so everyone knew going in they'd go with some awful original ending, which they did, and awful it was. I get it, Japan doesn't have anywhere near the budget US films do, going with a Japanese cast is the cheapest, and logistically easiest solution, but it will never not be distracting in some of these adaptations, a Japanese cast works in most, but not all. I think the Assassination Classroom films were okay, Kenshin was fantastic with excellent casting, Death Note 1 and 2 were great, the third film doesn't exist, Parasyte was solid, Gantz had good casting but the original ending was hot garbage. We'll see on the live action Bleach, going in I'm not expecting much though. And agreed on some of Full Metal fights, I'll watch these live action films regardless of quality and reviews, I just hope at minimum I get a couple of solid fight/action scenes out of it.

Edited by Tking22

@tking22 - Haven't seen the Kenshin movie, but have heard great things of it. Also on the subject of Assassination Classroom, the actor playing Ed was also in AC.

In general if the characters are of the nationality of your talent pool then yeah, we're going to get a decent adaptation. It's when they take place in other regions that it get <insert colour> washed. Just an issue with the industry in general.

So here's to hoping that the yellowing of the cast is FMA's only flaw.

Also sorry about the non-quoting, for some reason the forum is not letting me quote or use cut/paste.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Meh, Alphonse looks pretty good, Edward still looks terrible. He still looks like a little Japanese kid in a very, very, very, very bad wig.

Hahaha! That's what I thought too. I mean, it would be nice too if they just use a regular black hair. Rather than use a blonde wing. Doesn't look right to the actor.