• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 1:42 PM, jenius said:

Get breath of the wild... I'm so addicted but I only get to play it like a half hour a week.

It's on my list.  Admittedly, I haven't played a Legend of Zelda game since they remastered Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 3DS.  (I think the last one I actually played was the 3DS Virtual Console port of A Link to the Past.)

13 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

WHOA.

Cloud save data backup is a nice touch, but it comes packaged with two unpleasant downsides.

The first being the death of Nintendo's Virtual Console series.  Now you'll have to get a subscription if you want to play older games in emulation on the Switch, with only a very limited library available at launch.  Games-as-a-service instead of buying and owning a piece of software.  Kind of a downer for me, since I got a lot of mileage out of the Virtual Console games on the 3DS and Wii U. :vava:

It's also bringing an end to free online play.  Starting with the launch of this service, you'll have to purchase the subscription in order to play online... including games that are currently free to play online like Splatoon 2 and ARMS.  It's not even one-subscription-per-console, if you have multiple player profiles on your Switch you have to spring for the Family plan at about twice the price.

3 hours ago, Duymon said:

holy crap. Finally. Cloud saves!!!

But at the expense of Virtual Console... and free online gameplay. :( 

32 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Coming to Japanese Switch...

So, to the rest of the world on a three month delay?

I confess I'm mildly interested in that one just to see how reliable their cloud service ends up being.

Hyrule Warriors DX ("Definite Edition" in the US) came out the other day.  Been having a grand time with that.  It looks at least as good on the Switch as it did on the Wii U, and adding some costumes and so on from Breath of the Wild was a nice touch.  Weirdly, I find myself missing the minimap on the Wii U gamepad's screen.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So, to the rest of the world on a three month delay?

I confess I'm mildly interested in that one just to see how reliable their cloud service ends up being.

Hyrule Warriors DX ("Definite Edition" in the US) came out the other day.  Been having a grand time with that.  It looks at least as good on the Switch as it did on the Wii U, and adding some costumes and so on from Breath of the Wild was a nice touch.  Weirdly, I find myself missing the minimap on the Wii U gamepad's screen.

I picked it up, but haven't started it because I'd played it already in the 3DS.

To be honest, I kind of thought FE Warriors was better, despite not knowing who any if the characters are.

1 minute ago, mikeszekely said:

I picked it up, but haven't started it because I'd played it already in the 3DS.

They've tidied it up a bit, but it doesn't look like much has changed from the Wii U version.  I don't recall Linkle having Legend mode missions tho, and she does in this version (they've set her up as an opponent to Skull Kid from Majora's Mask).

1 minute ago, mikeszekely said:

To be honest, I kind of thought FE Warriors was better, despite not knowing who any if the characters are.

I got Fire Emblem Warriors as well, though I wasn't as satisfied with that one... partly because my favorite characters got left out until the very last DLC.

21 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

2018's shaping up to be kind of a Mega Man heavy year, then... since all ten Mega Man classic titles have been released on the Switch already under the Mega Man Legacy Collection banner, and eight of the Mega Man X games are coming out under that same banner in July.

Kinda leaves me wishing we could get a port of Mega Man X: Command Mission to cap the whole affair.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Kinda leaves me wishing we could get a port of Mega Man X: Command Mission to cap the whole affair.

And MegaMan and Bass, the five classic Mega Man Gameboy games, both Mega Man Xtremes, the Power Fighters and The Power Battle, Battle and Chase, and (dare I dream) an English port of Super Adventure Rockman.

But not Mega Man Soccer.

Oh, and maybe port the old DS Mega Man Zero collection to Switch/PC.

8 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

donotwant-togepi.jpg.b22dc9451031a51c0104e5fab5494e95.jpg

The word is that you use a joycon to throw Pokeballs, and it borrows heavily from Pokemon Go (aka the mobile game I deleted off my phone after two days because there are no friggin' Pokemon out here in suburbia).  Apparently you can even transfer Pokemon caught in Go to the Let's Go games via Bluetooth.  Plus they found a way to jam in multiplayer, because Nintendo has to justify charging for that now.

No, friends, this is not the Pokemon game we were waiting for.

On the plus side, the next proper Pokemon game is supposed to be coming to Switch next year.  In the mean time I'll just play Mega Man.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

What the hell is this, 1989?  I actually can't find a game at a store on release day?  30th Anniversary Collection, where are you?

What the hell is this, 1989? Who buys games at brick and mortar stores when you get 20% off and release-day delivery when you preorder with Amazon Prime?

*Disclaimer- I'm just playing off your words, and while I do preorder some games from Amazon for just the reason stated I also buy games from brick and mortar stores, especially Target, and I do get that not everyone subscribes to Prime (especially after the price hike).

7 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

What the hell is this, 1989? Who buys games at brick and mortar stores when you get 20% off and release-day delivery when you preorder with Amazon Prime?

*Disclaimer- I'm just playing off your words, and while I do preorder some games from Amazon for just the reason stated I also buy games from brick and mortar stores, especially Target, and I do get that not everyone subscribes to Prime (especially after the price hike).

Prime has only ever shipped USPS to me and I've gone over how awful their service is in my area many times.

Edited by Mommar

9 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Prime has only ever shipped USPS to me and I've gone over how awful their service is in my area many times.

That's odd.  Where I live USPS is the reliable choice.  I was at the end of a UPS route, and the driver(s) had a bad habit of inputting that a delivery attempt was made and ducking out early without ever actually driving to my house and actually making a delivery attempt, so they left a sour taste in my mouth.  As for FedEx, they're just incompetent as they're never on time and more than once I had to call them to ask them where my stuff was when I saw the tracking was updated to "delivered" but I hadn't received anything (including the time they delivered a $2000 Razer laptop I'd ordered to my neighbor's house and left it on his door step even though a signature was required for that delivery).

As far as the brick and mortar thing goes, where'd you shop?  I see online that it's listed as "not sold in store" at most Targets (although the one in Rio Rancho might have a copy), but Walmart and Gamestop both look like they're carrying stock in the Albuquerque area.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

That's odd.  Where I live USPS is the reliable choice.  I was at the end of a UPS route, and the driver(s) had a bad habit of inputting that a delivery attempt was made and ducking out early without ever actually driving to my house and actually making a delivery attempt, so they left a sour taste in my mouth.  As for FedEx, they're just incompetent as they're never on time and more than once I had to call them to ask them where my stuff was when I saw the tracking was updated to "delivered" but I hadn't received anything (including the time they delivered a $2000 Razer laptop I'd ordered to my neighbor's house and left it on his door step even though a signature was required for that delivery).

As far as the brick and mortar thing goes, where'd you shop?  I see online that it's listed as "not sold in store" at most Targets (although the one in Rio Rancho might have a copy), but Walmart and Gamestop both look like they're carrying stock in the Albuquerque area.

As of 2016 none of the shipping methods except for DHL have been reliable around here but specifically my USPS refuses to redeliver, doesn't matter how many times you fill out online forms or leave the card in the box.  I've even had the carrier pick up the card and never bring the package and then the jackass behind the counter gave me lip for not having the card the carrier took.

Target is where I usually go because they're the most likely to have something.  Not carrying it in stores was disappointing to see.  You can't trust the websites to be accurate with what's actually in store.  I found that out last night when none of the stores I visited had stock even though their websites claimed otherwise.  Rio Rancho is a different city, I don't have the time to drive out there.

14 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

The word is that you use a joycon to throw Pokeballs, and it borrows heavily from Pokemon Go (aka the mobile game I deleted off my phone after two days because there are no friggin' Pokemon out here in suburbia).  Apparently you can even transfer Pokemon caught in Go to the Let's Go games via Bluetooth.  Plus they found a way to jam in multiplayer, because Nintendo has to justify charging for that now.

Well that's a great big bucket of Nope.

Didn't they learn anything from the problems Niantic had with Pokemon Go?  Putting that onto a device with a quarter the battery life isn't exactly a winning solution.

14 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

No, friends, this is not the Pokemon game we were waiting for.

On the plus side, the next proper Pokemon game is supposed to be coming to Switch next year.  In the mean time I'll just play Mega Man.

Have they actually confirmed that'll be a proper Pokemon game?  The only listing I can find for it is just "Untitled Pokemon game" in the RPG genre... and that covers a multitude of sins like Mystery Dungeon.

Whatever they do, I just hope it's a little more open world-y than Pokemon Sun and Moon and their v2.0's were... having control yanked away every fifty yards for another unskippable cutscene about the world's laziest rival or that walking edgelord meme was supremely frustrating.

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Have they actually confirmed that'll be a proper Pokemon game?  The only listing I can find for it is just "Untitled Pokemon game" in the RPG genre... and that covers a multitude of sins like Mystery Dungeon.

The Pokemon Twitter account used the words "core series RPG." I suppose they could consider Mystery Dungeon a core series, but the implication seems to be that it's the next game of the red/green/gold/silver/etc lineage.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

Oddly, it just doesn't feel like E3 without Spotpass Miis of Nintendo's various creators and talking PR heads to pester me on a daily basis like we had on the 3DS.

I kinda wish we could get a port of the Zero Escape remaster that came out for PS4 a while ago... I followed that series on the DS and 3DS.

I bought a Nintendo Switch a few months ago, this is my second console after PS4.
I find it very useful because I travel a lot. There are great games available like Rocket League, but still no console can replace my computer.
I think the Rocket League is the biggest discovery when it comes to niNtendo Switch, although I play Rocket League on PS4 as well.
It is worth knowing that if you want to buy items and crates on the Switch - they are difficult to access.
However, if you want to buy cheap items for Rocket League PC or Rocket League ps4 to items and crates are cheap and easily available. I am buying rocket league items on PC and I am very happy. https://odealo.com/games/rocket-league
If you also like Rocket League and trade, then definitely buying and selling rocket league items is a job for you (you can also buy crates)

Edited by kes

33 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

...and who's that doing the mecha designs? The name looks familiar.

Blech... well, I guess even an ace designer can totally phone it in at times.  I honestly thought it was Yuji Shinkawa's handiwork until the credits page at the end.  "Boxy" isn't usually a word that comes in the same sentence with "Shoji Kawamori".